Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum (10331 Views)

Electricity Tariff Hike Will Further Impoverish Nigerians - Northern Elders / Subsidy Removal Will Reduce Carbon Dioxide Emissions - Shettima / Buhar's Government Has Failed Nigerians - Northern Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by benuejosh: 5:26am On Nov 30, 2021
Na we them the hear. We don speak and talk again.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by Munzy14(m): 5:30am On Nov 30, 2021
Maxymilliano:
The proposed subsidy removal and the concomitant economic effects may just be the last straw that will break the camel's back and people will be forced to revolt against Buhari's evil government
I swear...the hardship is going extreme with that.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by ntrukpum(m): 5:30am On Nov 30, 2021
Enjoy the 'change' u needed
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by SmartPolician: 5:45am On Nov 30, 2021
Paxxcarl:
The northern almajiris will suffer you mean

No deceive yourself oh.
The suffering will go round.
The inflation will be unprecedented.
Transportation, prices of goods and services, the cost of running our homes, etc. will skyrocket.
Petrol affects almost everything.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by TemmyT002(m): 5:52am On Nov 30, 2021
They are only talking because it will affect them too.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by cardoctor(m): 5:53am On Nov 30, 2021
As if they dont know
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by InoGetJoy: 5:56am On Nov 30, 2021
No, my BMC friends like and his fellow zombies have APC membership cards which they'll show to the fuel station attendants and fuel will be sold to them at ₦100 to 1litre.
Sai Baba!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by InoGetJoy: 5:57am On Nov 30, 2021
SmartPolician:

No deceive yourself oh.
The suffering will go round.
The inflation will be unprecedented.
Transportation, prices of goods and services, the cost of running our homes, etc. will skyrocket.
Petrol affects almost everything.
You're right on this, these people are doing everything possible to impoverish the masses. Sometimes I wonder how people survive in the country. Gas is not 9k for 12.5kg, something I used to fill at 2.5 2 years ago
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by InoGetJoy: 5:59am On Nov 30, 2021
zoedew:
NEF constitute a segment of the folks who mismanaged Nigeria. Their ilk are found in all the six geopolitical zones of Nigeria viz Afenifere, Ohanaeze, ACF, et al.
Way to go is-
1. Ban the use of power generators in Nigeria outside manufacturing concerns.
2. ALL public officials to use public transport. The President will be the only exception.
3. No use of siren except by ambulance services.
Nigeria will get fixed within a year or much less.
President Yar’Adua was on his way to step two.
Yar Adua was one of the best presidents Nigeria had, too bad that good people don't last.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by mediainc: 6:03am On Nov 30, 2021
The N5000 palliative is laughable, why are we not thinking well in Nigeria?

Don't we know the negative effects of fuel increase in a struggling economy like ours?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by Skooldeto(m): 6:09am On Nov 30, 2021
40m x 5k =200b, and how much they are paying for subsidy?
does npower money has impact on economic? I swear Nigeria has been curse
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by BABANGBALI: 6:29am On Nov 30, 2021
Na una almajari go suffer pass
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by Raalsalghul: 6:30am On Nov 30, 2021
Tzar:
Buhari wants Dangote to cash out big time!
Once subsidy is removed, pump price will probabaly go as high as 400-500. Then Dangote refinery will open!
Dangote is being positioned to become stinkingly richer for an endemically poor North!
I do not know why our so called Southern billionaires cannot position themselves for this kill too, by building modular refineries that can kick off in 1-2years. Then mega refineries that can be done in 4-8years!!!

You are one of the few people who truly sees what's going on.

Besides, not only Dangote will get richer but also the elite who funded that project with him some of whom constitutes this government.

Dangote's capital in that refinery project I'm sure is not up to 5 percent.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by Nobody: 6:32am On Nov 30, 2021
I am reposting a post I made earlier about the fuel subsidy thing...to educate people as to why removing subsides is a good thing, and not bad.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an APC or PDP supporter, and I have supported subsidy removal in 2012. I also think that the government should give car owners N20000 a month for a year after subsidy removal, and think that Buhari erred by supporting pro-subsidy protesters in 2012.

In response, I am going to post two links I have previously posted showing why fuel subsidy is bad for the economy. The links are posted for information and education sake, and not posted to a) support Buhari b) abuse anyone c) make fun of anyone d) praise bad governance e) force you to accept my views, or make you accept my views by force.

1. The fuel subsidy dilemma by Simon Kolawole. Excerpt below.

Would you rather buy petrol at the market price — currently about N264/litre — but get quality healthcare and education in return? Or would you prefer to keep buying subsidised petrol — currently at N162/litre — but our public hospitals and schools will remain abysmal? This is the perennial predicament presented to Nigerians for the past three decades since the fierce argument over fuel subsidy began. From the days of Gen Ibrahim Babangida as military president, the subsidy debate, framed in different ways, has always been a source of fiery relationship between the government and the people. It has led to strikes, protests, riots and killings at various points.

Advertisement

I would love to enjoy the best of both worlds, so why should it be an either/or question? I would say I want to buy petrol at N162/litre and, at the same time, get quality education and fantastic healthcare. I want government-owned schools in Nigeria to be as good as state schools in the UK when it comes to modern classroom infrastructure and excellent instruction — and for free. I want government-owned hospitals to have the best of qualified and motivated doctors and other personnel, as well as the most modern of medical equipment, super-adequate hospital beds, and the best of care — topped up with free consultation, free treatment, free surgery and free drugs.

But there are serious problems with my choice because they are based on some outrageous assumptions. One, I am assuming that Nigeria is “rich” and, therefore, has enough money to fund petrol subsidy and still offer excellent healthcare and education to hundreds of millions of its citizens. I am ignoring the fact that the country now services its debts with over 90% of its revenue and is running on empty. Two, I am assuming that it is my birth right to buy cheaper fuel because Nigeria is an oil-rich country. That is why I think I should buy petrol at a price that is lower than what obtains in other countries, even though I bought my car at a price that was not subsidised.

On the other hand, if I argue that I should buy petrol at N264/litre and then begin to enjoy world-class healthcare and education for little or nothing, I am also making many ambitious assumptions. One, I am assuming that the money that would have been saved this year would have been spent by the government (federal and state) to improve social services. From experience, the money is more likely to go into building ultra-modern governor’s lodges and constructing airports than go into improving healthcare and education. Two, I am assuming that the government even has the capacity and the will to manage social services in a way that would be beneficial to the people on the streets.

Yet, the fuel subsidy burden is no longer a joke. According to analysts, the bill would likely hit N2tr by the end of 2021 as crude oil prices keep going up. NNPC says we are consuming 60m litres per day. The higher the crude oil price, the higher the petrol subsidy. We must have spent over N10tr on petrol subsidy in the last 10 years and I cannot say our lives have been bettered by that. Nigeria is practically bankrupt. At this rate, states may go to FAAC meeting one day and come back in tears. All kinds of ailments are surrounding us at the same time: low oil revenues, low FX inflow, high debts and a monumental subsidy bill. In the meantime, economic productivity is hampered by insecurity.

2.Fuel subsidies; they are bad for the economy, but the lifeblood of our politicians. Origianlly posted on The Conversation website. on Nov 4 2021.

(This article is a good one. It goes into the history of fuel subsides, and why they are difficult to remove, and why they are bad for the economy)

Excerpt below

Why are oil subsidies bad economics?
Every year, the Nigerian government runs huge budget deficits that could have been avoided if money budgeted for oil subsidies was allocated to other critical projects.

Subsidies should be used to spur investment in activities that raise the productive capacities of an economy (such as education, health, entrepreneurship, and infrastructure). They should be targeted at strategic sectors of the economy. They should not be used to finance non-durable consumption items like petrol.

Oil subsidies are inequitable, as they transfer the national wealth to those who own several cars and add little or no value to the national economy

Again, I understand that not everyone agrees with me, and I apologize in advance for any hurt caused. These posts are posted in the interest of educating people about the bad effects of subsides. They are not government policy, I am not in government, or related to anyone in government, I do not even support APC or PDP.

I am also at heart someone who believes that government should really make sure that fuel costs as low as N20, and subsidise things like rice, beans and other essentials. But to achieve my dream, Nigeria would probably have to earn as much as N50 trillion or more annually for government coffers.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by zoedew: 6:34am On Nov 30, 2021
InoGetJoy:

Yar Adua was one of the best presidents Nigeria had, too bad that good people don't last.
The man had depth and a resolute will to carry through.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by zoedew: 6:36am On Nov 30, 2021
Raalsalghul:

You are one of the few people who truly sees what's going on.

Besides, not only Dangote will get richer but also the elite who funded that project with him some of whom constitutes this government.

Dangote's capital in that refinery project I'm sure is not up to 5 percent.
Hydrogen is found everywhere in the world and almost freely too! We have large gas and water reserves to produce all the hydrogen we need to power sectors that need power to drive them. Wake up Nigeria!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by ofiko123(m): 6:40am On Nov 30, 2021
How many times will they remove oil subsidy in this country called Nigeria?? Shameful very shameful..
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by Babastrong(m): 6:43am On Nov 30, 2021
[quote author=Terorislam post=108074861]We Yoruba Muslims supports subsidy.removal[i am not an advocate of any religion but know this in order to have peace. Your hatred of islam/muslims cannot eradicate or reduce the population of muslims. If your God is not happy with any religion, why can't you allow him to banish the said religion instead of given yourself unnecessary headache.]
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by dmbb: 6:46am On Nov 30, 2021
I agree with you
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 30, 2021
Tzar:
Buhari wants Dangote to cash out big time!
Once subsidy is removed, pump price will probabaly go as high as 400-500. Then Dangote refinery will open!
Dangote is being positioned to become stinkingly richer for an endemically poor North!
I do not know why our so called Southern billionaires cannot position themselves for this kill too, by building modular refineries that can kick off in 1-2years. Then mega refineries that can be done in 4-8years!!!

1.Southerners are involved in building several refineries .and are among the 20 licenses waiting.(list here)

2.Why more Nigerians aren't involved in building large Dangote type refineries is because subsides means that the petrol from the refineries would be sold at a loss.

Dangote also took loans to build the refinery. If the refienry fails, and he fails to repay the loans, them banks and lending agencies will just take over his other lucrative ventures...like the cement industry...(That's why they felt confident to give him a loan in the first place...they know they would get their money back!)

3. Dangote has to make a profit on his refinery...or it would fail. And when it fails, jobs and millions would be lost. You cannot expect him to refine fuel above 200 naira per liter, and sell at N161 or even at N40 per liter. He won't have enough cash to even do regular maintenance, and pay worker salariesand I must remind you that most of his workers for the refinereis are....NIGERIANS. Not foreingers.

4. When subsides go, more and more people will refine fuel at home. Because they can now make a profit and recoup their investment..and prices will crash by competition.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by Nobody: 7:01am On Nov 30, 2021
Asin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by Blackdisciple(m): 7:02am On Nov 30, 2021
The next Administration will suffer ehhh, will look like they are not working because all the years they will rule will be for repair that will be when APC ( north ) will come out to say the new administration is not working.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by techWriter1: 7:13am On Nov 30, 2021
We not ready....
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by slowice(m): 7:13am On Nov 30, 2021
This is the most useless government in the world right now but still some fool think otherwise.

Maybe till everyone in their family die of starvation
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by idahme(m): 7:17am On Nov 30, 2021
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by BigYash: 7:25am On Nov 30, 2021
They must remove it o.. Zombies must get sense by force.. They thought Buhari will show them special care grin Una never see anything.. Bubu continue abeg..
Sai baba there.. grin When I say change... You say next level..
Mumu people grin grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by Codes151(m): 7:37am On Nov 30, 2021
Mumu ppl.

Let's assume we know that we have been lied to into all this and the condition is bad already.

Tell your brother To resign. He's not fit.
A cattle herder, brain dead illiterate ruling ppl.

Even goes to show how these ppl reason. They will be patience in taking decisions. What decisions?

Smh.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by newinventions: 7:38am On Nov 30, 2021
I will register your limited liability company in the UK within 3 days without any down payment. Put the registration fee on an escrow account of your choice. We will file your application and pay for your application fee. Your certificate comes out and you release the registration fee.

A lot of people don't know they can own a company in the UK and operate from Nigeria. You can also use the company to do business here.

We are currently running a black Friday promo. Promo ends on the 5th of December.

Check my thread on company registration in UK to find out more information.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal Will Worsen Condition Of Nigerians – Northern Elders Forum by Nobody: 7:41am On Nov 30, 2021
Nbotee:

Nothing will happen... Those in govt know dis which is why they are going ahead with it in an election campaign year... I jus pity the next government
You said no go happen, you must leave in a mar..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Confirmation Of APC’s Rhoda Gumus As INEC Commissioner, A Democratic “Coup”- PDP / Aregbesola-Oyetola Camps Say No To Reconciliation Yet / Tinubu Presidency Will Give Youths Chances In Business, Politics - Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.