Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,922 members, 7,810,538 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

Shalanga, And The Modern Tales Of Snake In The Toilets - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Shalanga, And The Modern Tales Of Snake In The Toilets (318 Views)

UPDATE: Snake In My Roof / A Giant Snake In My Roof. I Need A Snake Charmer To Remove It / Pregnant Woman Dies Of Snakebite From Snake In Toilet in Kaduna ( Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shalanga, And The Modern Tales Of Snake In The Toilets by sadoroy(m): 10:11am On Nov 30, 2021
Any time i see this snake in the monkey shadow, sorry, snake in the WC issue, i only tend to see a 21st century problem.

A snake coming out of the WC is not what many of us can relate to many years back.

We grew up using what was popularly known as "Shalanga"

It's an unorthodox toilet that has a hole carved right out of the soak-away.

You have to bend over the toilet hole, and crouch - using your toes as positional support, then press your arms on your knees as structural support.

Our fears supercedes a reptile crawling out of the hole, the odds of that are about 0.5 in 10.

We fear that we might slip on wet floor and find ourselves sliding inside the toilet pit, battling shlt and swallowing yamayama while we try to cry for help.

We've even heard eerie stories of someone who fell inside and the whole neighborhood came outside to come and press his stomach to let out what he was forcefully fed - like infants in the hands of their akamu loving mothers.

My own particular fear was different. I usually use the toilet at night. I don't know why, but it seems the spirit that usually collects what i eat loves taking it at night.

So i do go to the toilet in the darkness. We had this lantern, but i have an history of breaking the lantern glass, so i had to choose between darkness and whip - i do prefer the former.

My fear is that one old toilet spirit will emerge from the wall and grab me by the neck, taking me deep into the underworld, and me being an over-thinker, I would have imagined how i will be used as a drummer boy in the spirit world of toilet people.

Shit in the morning, shit in the afternoon, shit in the fu¢king evening. I don't usually finish my business - the scenarios are always vivid.

Some other times, our fears are the wall geckos too.

The tales of wall geckos turning into snakes are too numerous to count.

Especially when you cut their tail, and when they also make the rumor seems realistic when the amputated tail dances faster than Sunny Alade's legwork.

Imagine having to battle with a snake-shaping wall gecko alone in the toilet, without light, and fearfully losing your voice.

Any child who uses shalanga at that time and finish his business is either a legend, or as we always have it - his elder brother is sitted outside with the lantern enduring the stink and the fart just to secure the life of his younger one from the toilet genies.

Olammirey OlamiLekan Pheiffer was usually my toilet vanguard when i was young, and he passed the mantle to me when Lolade Dwayne intrusively came into the family.

So you see, this WC snakes are enjoying snakes. Let any snake make a silly mistake and enter shalanga, and try to make it out alive, even as a miracle - it's not happening.

But also, apart from being a 21st century problem, it is also an economic progression issue.

Even in Lagos, a foremost city in Nigeria, most people only do shot-put so many years back, and these ones are familiar with the snake problem before we get to encounter it.

You are in the bush doing your business, you try to hold one strand of bush for support, only to hold on to a sleek python, the author and finisher of your shit.

Omox40million.

We have changes that is making more people embrace the comfortable system of disposing your bowels, and even as this comes with beautiful advantages, it also comes with new problems.

Even me that will just enter the toilet anyhow without taking notice is now going to the restroom yesterday night with with a C4, A Glock, Snake Charmer's whistle, a spanner, nuclear and chemical weapon.

Is it not beautiful that every moment, change, incidents brings deep memories and scars history in such a way that things are never the same again.

Imagine how toilets are celebrities right now.

I remember when the CEO of one movable toilet then would say "shit business is big business" and we didn't take it serious, but now, snake is putting toilet in the limelight, just like ewa agoyin puts hot bread in a better place.

Make we dey move with connects abeg.

Samuel Olajide Ogundimu ®

Re: Shalanga, And The Modern Tales Of Snake In The Toilets by ObaOfUyo: 10:48am On Nov 30, 2021
well done
Re: Shalanga, And The Modern Tales Of Snake In The Toilets by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 30, 2021
O boy, no remind me of shalanga make i no get ptsd.

1 Like

Re: Shalanga, And The Modern Tales Of Snake In The Toilets by BunmiBie: 9:47pm On Nov 30, 2021
That shalanga thing...kai grin
Re: Shalanga, And The Modern Tales Of Snake In The Toilets by Swissheart(f): 10:05pm On Nov 30, 2021
Toyin was what Olammirey OlamiLekan Pheiffer was to you to me those years. God rest her soul.

(1) (Reply)

Deals For South East/south South Travelers / UK Used Iphone 11pro / Farming Or Learning A Skill. Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.