Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,596 members, 7,820,141 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not (1013 Views)

Which One Is More Serious 'a Sin' Or 'a Crime' / What Does The Bible Say About Makeup And The Use Of Jewelry / Pastor Arinze Okoli Mmaduabuchi: "Gay Is Not A Sin” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ayo081(m): 10:03am On Dec 01, 2021
ThinkinFaculty:

You study the bible for firm grip(knowledge)
and understanding of God(The holy Trinity).
A bible only own up to it's true worth only In the hands of true believers ( those who are saved already through salvation).
Peace.

With the above you shouldn't have compared the Bible to an ordinary object undecided

Like you did:

ThinkinFaculty:

The bible is holy.. The holy book but it's still just a book, it's an object, jewelries are object too

Grace and peace be multiplied to you and I undecided

1 Like

Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by tctrills: 10:16am On Dec 01, 2021
1 Timothy 2:9

9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Paul seemed to be against the use of flashy things and he called for modesty. The question is what do we classify as modest dressing?
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:47am On Dec 01, 2021
tctrills:

1 Timothy 2:9

9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Paul seemed to be against the use of flashy things and he called for modesty. The question is what do we classify as modest dressing?

Paul wasn't even talking about flashy things rather he was talking about submissiveness!

Women have always used their beauty to lead their husbands astray, we all know that when a woman doesn't have anything to enhance her beauty she will be somehow humble before her husband, but when a woman can afford everything she wants then the husband is no more in control rather she will demand for equal authority in the home.
That's why Paul is advising women in the Christian congregation not to rely on those things they're putting on but the should let their beauty comes from the humility in their hearts as they're totally submissive to their own husbands and remain silent in the congregation of God!

Likewise, the women should adorn themselves in appropriate dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive clothing, but in the way that is proper for women professing devotion to God, namely, through good works. Let a woman learn in silence with full submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man, but she is to remain silent! 1Timothy 2:9-12

Back to your question:
Modesty is all about what is not taken to the extreme.

May you have PEACE! smiley

Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Kobojunkie: 11:55am On Dec 01, 2021
undecided
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Nobody: 1:22pm On Dec 01, 2021
Ayo081:

With the above you shouldn't have compared the Bible to an ordinary object undecided

Like you did:

Grace and peace be multiplied to you and I undecided

I am seriously asking for your help on behalf of my brother...

He just called me now from prison because he's hungry....

He has been suffering a lot since he was wrongly detained...

Please,
I need you to help me to seek for help or help my brother....

I can give you the number my brother used to call me if you want to confirm that he's in prison....

Please...
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ayo081(m): 4:02pm On Dec 01, 2021
Crystyano:

I am seriously asking for your help on behalf of my brother...

He just called me now from prison because he's hungry....

He has been suffering a lot since he was wrongly detained...

Please,
I need you to help me to seek for help or help my brother....

I can give you the number my brother used to call me if you want to confirm that he's in prison....

Please...

Hi Crystyano,

Send me the number please.
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Nobody: 5:16pm On Dec 01, 2021
Ayo081:

Hi Crystyano,

Send me the number please.

His name is Godwin

I hope he's still alive

Once the number is picked

Say you're asking of Godwin

If the person says he's Godwin,
Tell the person that Victor gave you his number because of his situation...

I will try to call him to inform him that he should be expecting your call

Thanks...

It's 09068291000
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ayo081(m): 6:28pm On Dec 01, 2021
Crystyano:

His name is Godwin

I hope he's still alive

Once the number is picked

Say you're asking of Godwin

If the person says he's Godwin,
Tell the person that Victor gave you his number because of his situation...

I will try to call him to inform him that he should be expecting your call

Thanks...

It's 09068291000

Alright
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Nobody: 6:48pm On Dec 01, 2021
Ayo081:

Alright

I have spoken to him...

He said you can also send a text message....

Thanks...
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by jimiobanta(m): 11:18am On Dec 02, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
All of you are following Catholics despite your protests against the Roman religion!

So whoever calls himself/herself a man of God to condemn jewelries is surely a man of God but not a worshiper of the God of Israel, rather that of Jupiter the God of Rome.

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

You may have more need to study the word of God. For this purpose I have elaborated more on the passages of the scriptures earlier quoted.
Study and have peace.

Gen 35:2-4 ISV 2 Jacob announced to his household and to everyone with him, “Throw away the foreign gods that you’ve kept among you, purify yourselves, and change your clothes. 3 Then let’s get up and go to Bethel, where I’ll build an altar to the God who answered me when I was in distress and who was with me on the road, wherever I went.” 4 So they handed over to Jacob all their foreign gods on which they had been depending, along with the rings that they were wearing on their ears. Jacob buried them under the oak that grew near Shechem.

The first time jewelry was mentioned in the Bible, it was a gift given to Rebecca by Abraham servant in his quest to find a wife for Isaac.
By Jacob's generation, jewelry has become identified with idols and that which should not be worn/used in the presence of God. This indicates use of jewelry is a defilement of the worship process, Jacob intended doing or an abomination which could bring the wrath of God instead of a blessing. Conclusion: Use of jewelry equates Idolatry and a profanity before God

Exo 33:4-5 ISV 4 When the people heard this troubling word, they mourned, and no one put on his ornaments. 5 The LORD had told Moses, “Say to the Israelis, ‘You are an obstinate people, and if for one moment I went up among you, I would put an end to you. Now take off your ornaments so I may decide what to do with you.’”

In this passage, the children of Israel have worshipped a golden calf made from their jewelry, therefore abusing and perverting God's provisions for them. God's judgement, appear not before me in ornaments. Is this judgement a permanent one. It is. God judgement stated is permanent and changes not

We see a consistency with the former passage above. Present not yourself before God decked in jewelleries.

Eze 7:19 KJ2000 They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed: their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the LORD: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their stomachs: because it is the stumblingblock of their iniquity.

In this passage gold and silver were denigrated by God and discribed as that which cannot save.
God also called gold and silver a stumbling block and the means of His people iniquity

1Ti 2:9 KJ2000 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with decency and propriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Here we see in 1Ti 2:9 a standard to dress modestly and in a manner devoid of worldliness and jewelleries.

1Pe 3:3-5 KJ2000 3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of braiding the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; 4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. 5 For after this manner in former times the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:

This passage of 1Pet 3:3-5 finalized everything that the adornments/ornaments suitable for the people of God is in Godly character.

From the consistency of all passages above, use of worldly adornments such as jewelleries and attachments are not recommended.
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Nobody: 11:51am On Dec 02, 2021
Ayo081:

Alright

Hello,

I would like to know if you've been able to speak to him...
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:00pm On Dec 02, 2021
jimiobanta:

You may have more need to study the word of God. For this purpose I have elaborated more on the passages of the scriptures earlier quoted.
Study and have peace.

Gen 35:2-4 ISV 2 Jacob announced to his household and to everyone with him, “Throw away the foreign gods that you’ve kept among you, purify yourselves, and change your clothes. 3 Then let’s get up and go to Bethel, where I’ll build an altar to the God who answered me when I was in distress and who was with me on the road, wherever I went.” 4 So they handed over to Jacob all their foreign gods on which they had been depending, along with the rings that they were wearing on their ears. Jacob buried them under the oak that grew near Shechem.

The first time jewelry was mentioned in the Bible, it was a gift given to Rebecca by Abraham servant in his quest to find a wife for Isaac.
By Jacob's generation, jewelry has become identified with idols and that which should not be worn/used in the presence of God. This indicates use of jewelry is a defilement of the worship process, Jacob intended doing or an abomination which could bring the wrath of God instead of a blessing. Conclusion: Use of jewelry equates Idolatry and a profanity before God

Exo 33:4-5 ISV 4 When the people heard this troubling word, they mourned, and no one put on his ornaments. 5 The LORD had told Moses, “Say to the Israelis, ‘You are an obstinate people, and if for one moment I went up among you, I would put an end to you. Now take off your ornaments so I may decide what to do with you.’”

In this passage, the children of Israel have worshipped a golden calf made from their jewelry, therefore abusing and perverting God's provisions for them. God's judgement, appear not before me in ornaments. Is this judgement a permanent one. It is. God judgement stated is permanent and changes not

We see a consistency with the former passage above. Present not yourself before God decked in jewelleries.

Eze 7:19 KJ2000 They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed: their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the LORD: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their stomachs: because it is the stumblingblock of their iniquity.

In this passage gold and silver were denigrated by God and discribed as that which cannot save.
God also called gold and silver a stumbling block and the means of His people iniquity

1Ti 2:9 KJ2000 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with decency and propriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Here we see in 1Ti 2:9 a standard to dress modestly and in a manner devoid of worldliness and jewelleries.

1Pe 3:3-5 KJ2000 3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of braiding the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; 4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. 5 For after this manner in former times the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:

This passage of 1Pet 3:3-5 finalized everything that the adornments/ornaments suitable for the people of God is in Godly character.

From the consistency of all passages above, use of worldly adornments such as jewelleries and attachments are not recommended.

Your lengthy comment can't change the fact that God's people used jewelries in the past and so it wasn't condemned by the early CHRISTIANS, what they urged their fellow believers to consider is modesty!

In each society modesty is determined by the culture of the people.
Look at the two women below, they're both believers but in different countries!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Salt, What A Taste? / Christians, Do You Believe This To Be True? / Where Is The Garden Of Eden?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.