Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,215 members, 7,829,357 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 (5082 Views)

Sallah Day Boat Mishap At Apapa: Many Dead / Six People Die In Ikorodu Boat Mishap (Disturbing Photos) / Man Rescues 13 Persons in a Boat Mishap, Dies While Rescuing the 14th in PH(pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by Haakeem(m): 8:04am On Dec 02, 2021
• It’s state tragedy, says Ganduje
• Approves N6m, relief materials to victims’ relatives
• Buhari expresses sadness over incident

The death toll in Tuesday’s unfortunate boat mishap in Kano State has risen to 29 with victims including children and women travelling for a religious event.

The state’s Director of Fire Service, Hassan Ahmed, who confirmed the update, said disclosed that rescue team were still searching for 14 missing persons.

Earlier, the police spokesperson, DSP Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, revealed that out of the 59 passengers, 29 died, eight rescued alive, including four male and four females.

The Director, who spoke with The Guardian through the PRO of the organisation, Malam Saminu Abdullahi, said his men and some fishermen had joined in the operation to rescue the survivors.

Meanwhile, Kano State government has set up a committee, headed by Commander of Naval Command, to investigate the ugly development.

Also, the Commissioner for Information, Mohammad Garba, while addressing journalists yesterday about the outcome of the emergency executive meeting, disclosed that government had approved the release of relief materials and N100,000 each to relatives of the affected victims of the accident.

HOWEVER, President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed anguish over the tragic boat accident in the state.

In a message to the government and people of Kano State to sympathise with them over the tragic incident, the President assured the state government of the support of all federal agencies in the state as rescue operation continues.

MEANWHILE, Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has described the incident as a state tragedy, saying that rescue operation is still ongoing.

He said: “We learned that the boat started from Hayin Badau to Bagwai on their way to attend Maulud celebration, as the boat was ferrying about 50 people with some loads, which capsised because of overload. And most of them were Islamiyyah students.

“While we pray to Allah to forgive and bless the souls of those who died and pray for quick recovery of those who are in the hospital receiving medical attention, I urge boat operators to always take the issue of overload very seriously.

“They should know that they can still get profit without overloading their boats.”

The governor, who lamented that it was the same axis where there was a serious mishap some years back, further said: “People should know that the lives of all fellow human beings are too important to be risked deliberately.

“So far, based on the information we received, as at this morning of Wednesday, there were 20 deaths, seven in hospital and another eight people were found this morning and the rescue operation is still going on. We salute the courage and patriot posture of the rescue teams.”

source;https://guardian.ng/news/kano-boat-mishap-death-toll-rises-to-29/

2 Likes

Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by AirBagde(f): 8:05am On Dec 02, 2021
Please someone should tell me where the river is

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by WibusJaga: 8:19am On Dec 02, 2021

We usually don't learn hard lessons & make corrections from this kind of avoidable mishaps but will rather attribute it to an act of God & life goes on.
No one is held accountable or punished - zero Consequence Management.

3 Likes

Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by Ammishaddai: 8:21am On Dec 02, 2021
Lawless nation . Tueh!!!
Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by MrImole: 8:23am On Dec 02, 2021
RIP kids...
Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by fasho01(m): 8:23am On Dec 02, 2021
Really sad.
Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by Nobody: 8:23am On Dec 02, 2021
I really wish my state governor and buhari were also on the boat while it sank...

2 Likes

Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by tuna4servi(m): 8:23am On Dec 02, 2021
AirBagde:
For what if I may ask
Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by didioviedo30: 8:24am On Dec 02, 2021
Go have mercy

Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by bouncin04(m): 8:24am On Dec 02, 2021
The last time I checked Kano wasn't a coastal city.

4 Likes

Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by bigdammyj: 8:24am On Dec 02, 2021
R.I.P
Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by Conwarden: 8:27am On Dec 02, 2021
Haakeem:

source;https://guardian.ng/news/kano-boat-mishap-death-toll-rises-to-29/

Sad. R.I.P to the victims!

angry

Life sentence for all scammers . . . including paternity fraudsters!
Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by shimardoil: 8:28am On Dec 02, 2021
May Allah forgive of their shortcomings
Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by Haakeem(m): 8:32am On Dec 02, 2021
Conwarden:

Sad. R.I.P to the victims!

angry

Life sentence for all scammers . . . including paternity fraudsters!
gringrin were you scammed? pls share the tori.

2 Likes

Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by Deborah98(f): 8:33am On Dec 02, 2021
Lord have mercy cry... Rip to the deceased. Don't know if I'll ever near a river or anything related to water. Just don't like large body of water.
Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by ki02020(m): 8:50am On Dec 02, 2021
tuna4servi:

For what if I may ask

Honestly that was what came to my mind first

"Does kano have water ways for tranports"?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by Gadafii: 8:57am On Dec 02, 2021
kano state get river
Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by wink2015(m): 9:05am On Dec 02, 2021
KANO STATE THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE KIND OF RIVERS ONE CAN FIND IN DELTA STATE, BAYELSA STATE, RIVERS STATE, AKWA IBOM, IS EXPERIENCING SUCH A TRAGEDY.

Aboki are not security conscious they always take risk.

What stop them from providing life jacket for the passengers boarding the boats.

If you see the way their men drive "STREET OKADA" that is street commercial motorcycle you will be praying that they take you to your destination safely.

Their men are so unsafe in their riding of commercial motorcycle .

They believe that ALLAH GIVE AND ALLAH TAKE.

THE AVERAGE NORTHERNERS DO NOT VALUE LIFE.

1 Like

Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by Kokaine(m): 9:13am On Dec 02, 2021
AirBagde:
exactly my surprise. The biggest water body in kano should be minjibir and its not as big as this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by vickydevoka(m): 9:25am On Dec 02, 2021
bouncin04:
The last time I checked Kano wasn't a coastal city.
Every state way rain de fall get water. If u see Maiduguri water way Dem de fish u go fear

1 Like

Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by Bbqekpa: 9:57am On Dec 02, 2021
Where dem see River for kano?
Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by Jalaw: 10:34am On Dec 02, 2021
A river in kano?
You can't even find a stream in the desert.
Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 10:38am On Dec 02, 2021
WibusJaga:
but will rather attribute it to an act of God & life goes on.....

As the 'Arewans' would say Allah ya kawo...

1 Like

Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by AirBagde(f): 11:02am On Dec 02, 2021
tuna4servi:

For what if I may ask
Oga....... if you know where it is just tell me
Re: Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 by naijaking1: 11:53am On Dec 02, 2021
The boat ran aground, meaning the water was too shallow for the weight of the vessel.
When you steal an ocean going vessel and take it to the desert, because you could, then nature needs to teach you a little lesson.
RIP to the poor dead.
Yes, important people who insisted that Kano is now a deep water state should have been in the boat.

(1) (Reply)

F U C K NAIRALAND / Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% / Any Nigerians In Montreal, Qc?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.