Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,937 members, 7,814,176 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% (5085 Views)

Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% / Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airports Over Increased Fares / Air Fares Fall As New Local Operators Board (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by aloyemeka1: 2:32am On Jul 19, 2011
Monday, July 18, 2011
[size=14pt]Local airlines raise fares by 50%[/size]

This can't be happening. If you haven't traveled locally in the last few days, then you should know that our local airline operators have increased air fares by over 50%, mostly on busy routes like Lagos-Abuja and Lagos-Port Harcourt.

[img]http://1.bp..com/-AYODsmfSgz4/TiP0FR2oQ3I/AAAAAAAAFLM/vr1Y43obpSo/s400/7.jpg[/img]

A one-way ticket that used to cost about N24, 000 is now N36, 000. The increase was effected on Saturday July 16. Their reason? The airlines are blaming the increase on the scarcity and hike in the pump price of aviation fuel which now sells N190 per litre.

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/07/local-airlines-raise-fares-by-50.html
And we are an oil producing nation? SMH!
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by allgreengi: 3:04am On Jul 19, 2011
It is not a bad news for guys busy for biz traveling,
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by DExplorer1: 3:17am On Jul 19, 2011
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by manny4life(m): 3:41am On Jul 19, 2011
D-Explorer:

50% is a kill. That's just too much. Abuja should be like 30-50k a trip.

Did u say 30 to 50k? This is for a 325mile trip with a 120+ seat jet ? I don't see anything cheap in it but exorbitant fares
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by osajojo(m): 5:55am On Jul 19, 2011
please give the new cost list for routes in nigeria
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by kevoh(m): 6:06am On Jul 19, 2011
You still have an option of using aero,it should be about 12000 naira now just book ahead except of course you have an impromptu arrangement then you got no choice than to pay the new ticket fare of about 36000 naira.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by texazzpete(m): 7:10am On Jul 19, 2011
kevoh:

You still have an option of using aero,it should be about 12000 naira now just book ahead except of course you have an impromptu arrangement then you got no choice than to pay the new ticket fare of about 36000 naira.

People are complaining of unreasonable high air fares and you're babbling about a limited number of seats available on just one carrier.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by bencobenz(m): 7:12am On Jul 19, 2011
Breathe of fresh air!
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by aieromon(m): 7:20am On Jul 19, 2011
Ridiculous!!!
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by Kekekenny(m): 7:48am On Jul 19, 2011
waoh!!!! Ds is killing mehn.50% increment.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by kevoh(m): 7:51am On Jul 19, 2011
texazzpete:

People are complaining of unreasonable high air fares and you're babbling about a limited number of seats available on just one carrier.

Read my comment well before you start attacking me! I know people are famous for that on nairaland :Hurling words/insults at each other! I'm not into that.I said you still have an OPTION!

Of course, we all know the fares are high. I don't have time complaining on a thread because it's not going to solve anything. If we want any answer we should take it to the airlines and others involved in the increase, probably boycott these airlines. I'm only offering an alternative choice for people who really want to fly and don't have time to whine and cry that the fare is high.

I
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by kyensco87(m): 8:03am On Jul 19, 2011
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 19, 2011
kevoh:

You've summed it up.Usually i pay 10500 either on lagos-Abuja or Benin-Abuja if i book well ahead of time and online but with this development,only God knows if Aero will be able to maintain the bonanza.However,this increment makes no sense,
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by Demdem(m): 8:24am On Jul 19, 2011
N36000 for less than an hour flight. This is ridiculous.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 19, 2011
Fresh Air 2011 angry
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by aminu150(m): 8:37am On Jul 19, 2011
:PYOU VOTED FOR FRESH AIR grin grin grin grin
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by chelseabmw(m): 8:54am On Jul 19, 2011
JESUS shocked shocked
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by dblessed(f): 8:56am On Jul 19, 2011
it is absurd, besides the increament, after i paid a huge sum of 52,660 naira to travel to and fro lagos/portharcourt for an interview that came up last wednesday, we still got harrassed at MM2 to pay N2,500 so called processing fee before you go on board and from PH airport you pay another N1000 before you board, i stood there arguing with 10 other people, before i knew it 9 of them left me to go and pay and i ended up paying with so much pain. you needed to see people begging for money to make up their trips. it's annoying and not fair the way they extract money from us.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by neily(f): 9:13am On Jul 19, 2011
Très cher!
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by Ayoobscom(m): 10:07am On Jul 19, 2011
No wonder the traffic on the road has drastically increased by 65%

If I ever flew it must have been in one of those sweet dreams
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by Kx: 10:12am On Jul 19, 2011
Another hike?
I guess the only thing that is yet to go up lately is the cost of pure water
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by kblastic(f): 10:18am On Jul 19, 2011
50% hike is just too much.
Understand their high overhead bust 5-10% would have been understandable.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by yusuf2(m): 10:46am On Jul 19, 2011
Was just about to book a flight online arik frm jos - lag and I saw the fair was 24k, (it used to be 17k5) I felt it was a mistake not until I saw this, this is absolute non-sense.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by eddietaylo: 10:56am On Jul 19, 2011
nice interesting and very informative post, thanks for sharing.
======
web design
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by Reference(m): 10:57am On Jul 19, 2011
Said it times without number that air transport is a fish out of water in Nigeria. It is just too sophisticated for us to manage. The reasons are simple. Everywhere in the world air transport is driven by the economy and supported by extensive infrastructure both public and private which we don't have. When the economy goes up airlines become marginally profitable. When there is a downturn they merge or collapse in debt. And when I mean economy I mean travel for business or pleasure (to do deals or head to the beach) we cannot afford either. The Nigerian economy has never really improved so i don't expect the airline industry to develop. That is why the high turnover of airlines, that is why incident liabilities such as insurance payments cripple them. A bad accident and its all over. Unfortunately its has also been the grave yard for the loot of many a political office holders and patrons, too many to mention. It has never been a serious business.

Now that airlines have upped the ante (not altogether because of high aviation fuel but also because banks have to call back the massive amounts of cash - they too have to survive in the face of dwindling handouts by their wealthy shadowy patrons) it spells the death knell for most of them. First, it will only cut the number of those traveling by air and make the cost of doing business for those who remain loyal much higher. Certainly not what you want to do at this time when the economy remain weak. And as the planes empty the average number of planes per airline may fall further leading to larger over heads and a vicious downward cycle.

I've said it before the only way out is for airlines to voluntarily merge or the government should compel them to more stringent operational conditions such as cutting unprofitable routes, setting a minimum limit to the number of seats each airline is permitted to operate daily and investing in infrastructure to eliminate these foreign trips for services. It will be difficult to bring all of them on board and overcome certain egos but the reality is plain before them.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by stagger: 10:58am On Jul 19, 2011
How can someone be paying the equivalent of $220 for a 55 minute flight? Ever since GEJ entered power, the only air we are breathing is suffocating fumes and not fresh air.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by Amakamax(f): 11:00am On Jul 19, 2011
Well, its for those that do not have money
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by gogodaye(m): 11:29am On Jul 19, 2011
Small time the real truth go begin to out. the reason for the hike in airfare na non availability of JET-A1. Abi no be kerosine dem dey take Ccome dey fly the plane dem again for naija as the minister talk. WE DEY
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by otokx(m): 12:09pm On Jul 19, 2011
Breath of fresh air
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by GNBohr: 12:25pm On Jul 19, 2011
This is sad but what else can one expect with the mounting cost of operations and dilapidating infrastructure. It seems our economy is seriously nose diving. The roads are death traps, no functional rail system. The most effective and fastest mode of travel now being priced beyond reach smellls like further digging the grave of an already comatose economy. Nothing has really moved and progressed in this country since the beginning of the year except boko haram,  prices and costs of living and doing bussiness. Even the businesses are drying out. Will somebody please wake GEJ up.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by member67023: 12:27pm On Jul 19, 2011
The airlines are blaming the increase on the scarcity and hike in the pump price of aviation fuel which now sells N190 per litre.

In a country that is the 14th largest producer of crude oil in the world. And 22nd in Natural Gas production.

Yet no aviation fuel for airlines and no gas for power generation. No roads for land transport etc.

Just corrupt leaders and politician.

Its a big shame. May God save this entity called NIGERIA.
Re: Local Airlines Raise Fares By 50% by shawonlese: 1:12pm On Jul 19, 2011
Kx:

Another hike?
I guess the only thing that is yet to go up lately is the cost of pure water

and who says pure water won't go up? Wait till N18,000 minimum wage is implemented. If the workers at the factory have to be paid 18k, i guess pure water will soon become N20. The money has to come from somewhere i guess.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Incredible! See How Ugandan Police Conduct bomb Search on Women- Photos / NEMA Receives Another 164 Stranded Nigerians From Libya / Please Where Is Ministry Of Education Located In Abuja... Address Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.