Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,799 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days (25146 Views)

Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Resumes Online Classes After Shutdown / Sylvester Oromoni: Video Of Dowen College Student In Pains Before He Died / Zamfara Government Shuts Down School, Suspends Staff Over ‘Desecration’ Of Quran (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by BRATISLAVA: 3:34pm On Dec 03, 2021
CandyOps:
Bullying in secondary schools is as old as time. Back in the days in FGC the senior boys then will kpokpo you to the extent that we had to leave the dormitory and sleep in classes at night or in the bushes. It was so horrible that even our house masters and supervisors couldn't do anything about it.

They beat us like criminals used planks 2by2, iron buckets, chains, edge of cutlasses, and their fists. It was so bad that whenever you see a student with a broken arm at the sickbay the first question he'll be asked would be, "who beat you up?"

It was so disheartening that the thought of going back to school after the mid-term break will literally make our hearts race and you will feel sick to your stomach.

The only solution to that would be to look into the authoritarian parenting style we have in Nigeria. The act of flogging or physically abusing kids when they err should be made illegal or proscribed. Because I believe the family is the cell of a society and the way our parents tidy our fxck ups is the same way a military man or police will tidy your fck up.. when you do something as simple as piss him off

That same system of rule is what is replicated in the senior boys that bully kids. It won't stop as long as we have a culture of physically publishing our kids. It's a trend we instilled in them. Spare the rod and spare the child.

I'm not sure I can put my kids through a boarding school after what I experienced. And this was more than 15 years ago. If something wey dey happen since 15 years ago no fit stop wetin make you feel say e go stop in another 15 years in the future??

I don't think it's right for parents to physically assault their kids in the name of punishment because there is no gauge to how much beating the kid deserves. Besides, there is a thin line between abuse and reprimand by flogging.

It's a major sign of bad parenting.. and as you know some trauma especially those experienced as kids or adolescents may lead to psychosis later in life.

And the underlying psychotic disorders will come to light as soon as the victim engages in drugs like weed, alcohol intoxication or some takes some prescribed psychotropic medications. Which is why it is bad to give or share weed with your friends wey never take am before.

You don't know who has a low-key psychosis

If you talk now, them go begin quote backward moral proverbs for you. Just watch

Your post was going reasonably until you mentioned parenting.

You are wrong about that.

That you were brutalized doesn't give credence to your claim.

Even in countries where children aren't "authoritatively parented", all children will revert to the exact violence/evil you refer to without the presence of adult control. What you see that happened here is exactly what happens anywhere else in the world, too. It happens in frats and sororities, too, and has nothing to do with Nigerian parenting styles and if they are "physically assaulted" at home or not.

Let's not get into the bullying part of it. Or if Western parents cane their children or not.

Just know that worldwide children are growing and testing the limits of their strength to do whatever they wish to (bullying, murder, abuse, rape, terror, hacking). It is only the law and adult presence/control that will deter or control them.

It is simple: without adult/lawful control humans will always revert to their basest instincts in which the strongest has the most power. Everyone craves power. Especially children.

Most especially children.

2 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by confirmedniggae: 3:36pm On Dec 03, 2021
this happened beside me here in adebayo doherty lekki..we will shut down the school.idiots

2 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by brandmix: 3:39pm On Dec 03, 2021
What I can’t fathom is Dowen is supposed to be a posh private school.

I don’t get them trying to pull FGS stunts. Even as e bad them, nobody die
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by zicoraads: 3:40pm On Dec 03, 2021
There's more to this story that everyone is letting on. There's definitely more.

2 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by ojesymsym: 3:41pm On Dec 03, 2021
Was he playing with his mates?
rezzy:

Some 16 years back, a boy of 12 died from football injury ó. According to the mom, the ball hit him on the chest after a week, the chest began to swell and that led to his death
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by Divoc19(f): 3:43pm On Dec 03, 2021
Why didn't you tell your parents about the bullies then?
CandyOps:
Bullying in secondary schools is as .... Just watch

3 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by BRATISLAVA: 3:45pm On Dec 03, 2021
Divoc19:
Why didn't you tell your parents about the bullies then?

Fear.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by Divoc19(f): 3:46pm On Dec 03, 2021
12 years old boy that is suppose to come back from school and wash plates cry them go out am for boarding
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by Divoc19(f): 3:46pm On Dec 03, 2021
That is where we as parents should get closer to our children embarassed
BRATISLAVA:

Fear.

1 Like

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by azikiweironsi(m): 3:49pm On Dec 03, 2021
Olam09:
The school should be shut till further notice.. fùck the school officials.
The school should be shut down. What exactly are the school teachers and other officials are doing ? How could they have let the school children behaves irrationally ? Sometimes, I found it funny when uncultured students letting out discipline on other school children and officials not noticing it. Private school for that matter and not government public schools that a filled up with all manner of idiots.

2 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by BRATISLAVA: 3:53pm On Dec 03, 2021
Divoc19:
That is where we as parents should get closer to our children embarassed

Not necessarily.

On school grounds it is teachers who need to do that.

Schools should have counseling units, and teachers should take take reports seriously. There are some encounters in school that a child fears to tell their parents, but can confide in teachers with ease. Not because there's distance in the parent-child relationship, but because.

Of course as parents we can't neglect our roles and need to be vocal. I think the problem is that many times we expect our children to just know that they can meet us for anything, but we never tell them so.

1 Like

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by Nobody: 4:07pm On Dec 03, 2021
The days are evil. None of my kids will be a boarder.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by Mmbb: 4:23pm On Dec 03, 2021
Why
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by supernova96(m): 4:41pm On Dec 03, 2021
I WENT TO FGC AS WELL AND THIS JUST BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF THINGS WE HAVE TRIED TO FORGET. BOARDING SCHOOLS CAN BE A VERY BRUTAL PLACE WITH MOST PARENTS NOT KNOWING HALF OF WHAT THEIR CHILDREN GO THROUGH IN THESE PLACES. I SAW HELL AND HOW I SURVIVED IS STILL A MIRACLE TO ME. MAY THE SOUL OF THIS LOVELY BOY REST IN PEACE. OUR SYSTEM KEEPS FAILING US.
CandyOps:
Bullying in secondary schools is as old as time. Back in the days in FGC the senior boys then will kpokpo you to the extent that we had to leave the dormitory and sleep in classes at night or in the bushes. It was so horrible that even our house masters and supervisors couldn't do anything about it.

They beat us like criminals used planks 2by2, iron buckets, chains, edge of cutlasses, and their fists. It was so bad that whenever you see a student with a broken arm at the sickbay the first question he'll be asked would be, "who beat you up?"

It was so disheartening that the thought of going back to school after the mid-term break will literally make our hearts race and you will feel sick to your stomach.

The only solution to that would be to look into the authoritarian parenting style we have in Nigeria. The act of flogging or physically abusing kids when they err should be made illegal or proscribed. Because I believe the family is the cell of a society and the way our parents tidy our fxck ups is the same way a military man or police will tidy your fck up.. when you do something as simple as piss him off

That same system of rule is what is replicated in the senior boys that bully kids. It won't stop as long as we have a culture of physically publishing our kids. It's a trend we instilled in them. Spare the rod and spare the child.

I'm not sure I can put my kids through a boarding school after what I experienced. And this was more than 15 years ago. If something wey dey happen since 15 years ago no fit stop wetin make you feel say e go stop in another 15 years in the future??

I don't think it's right for parents to physically assault their kids in the name of punishment because there is no gauge to how much beating the kid deserves. Besides, there is a thin line between abuse and reprimand by flogging.

It's a major sign of bad parenting.. and as you know some trauma especially those experienced as kids or adolescents may lead to psychosis later in life.

And the underlying psychotic disorders will come to light as soon as the victim engages in drugs like weed, alcohol intoxication or some takes some prescribed psychotropic medications. Which is why it is bad to give or share weed with your friends wey never take am before.

If you talk now, them go begin quote backward moral proverbs for you. Just watch

3 Likes

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by irririchris(m): 4:48pm On Dec 03, 2021
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by irririchris(m): 4:51pm On Dec 03, 2021
Lagos Orders Indefinite Closure of Dowen
College.

Source- Lagos State Government Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/followlasg?lst=1292869595%3A100064441879510%3A1638546705#!/story.php?story_fbid=269117538579640&id=100064441879510&m_entstream_source=timeline&refid=17&_ft_=mf_story_key.269117538579640%3Atop_level_post_id.269117538579640%3Atl_objid.269117538579640%3Acontent_owner_id_new.100064441879510%3Athrowback_story_fbid.269117538579640%3Apage_id.492378324116772%3Astory_location.4%3Astory_attachment_style.photo%3Aott.AX8Xu9BAYO4R7MO9%3Atds_flgs.3%3Athid.100064441879510%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1641023999%3A4153984501677023796%3A%3A&__tn__=%2As%2As-R
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by buJu234: 4:57pm On Dec 03, 2021
no.1 reason why i hate boarding school

assuming he is a day student; the parent might known all the bully that the poor boy had faced ever since..

RIP young boy
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by JBoss25(m): 6:30pm On Dec 03, 2021
supernova96:
I WENT TO FGC AS WELL AND THIS JUST BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF THINGS WE HAVE TRIED TO FORGET. BOARDING SCHOOLS CAN BE A VERY BRUTAL PLACE WITH MOST PARENTS NOT KNOWING HALF OF WHAT THEIR CHILDREN GO THROUGH IN THESE PLACES. I SAW HELL AND HOW I SURVIVED IS STILL A MIRACLE TO ME. MAY THE SOUL OF THIS LOVELY BOY REST IN PEACE. OUR SYSTEM KEEPS FAILING US.
Which school u go?
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by littlenzuki(m): 6:48pm On Dec 03, 2021
No be small tin o me wen add FGC Ibillo no be small eye see oo
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by peddy231(m): 7:53pm On Dec 03, 2021
CandyOps:

I also went to an FGC School(Fgc Warri precisely). I confirm the crazy shit we suffered from our Seniors then.Mine was 20 years ago and till date I don't think I have completely let go of the trauma I underwent while in the Boarding School.

1 Like

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by deleson: 8:09pm On Dec 03, 2021
It’s pathetically unfortunate this happened to Sylvester.

To resolve the back and forth on the cause of his death, autopsy should be conducted.

Autopsy will expose the cause of death, giving all parties the room to move on to other things.

But then, everyone needs to be more conscious of their family values and how they’re raising kids these days.

The family is the fundamental unit of the society. A crack in the family will result in a collapsed nation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by azeeza(f): 8:17pm On Dec 03, 2021
And there...;

1. Don Davis, the 11yr old student of Deeper Life High School, Akwa Ibom who was sexually assaulted by seniors while the school tried covering up. Glad the fighting spirit of his mother pushes on for justice.

2. Keren Akpagher, the 14 yr old student of Premier Academy,Lugbe Abuja who died of sepsis earlier this year. A used condom was found inside of her. Possibly raped severely by a staff (security or teacher) . She died before she could build up courage to mention names. The school stonewalled the investigation.

3. Sylvester Oromoni, the 12yr old student of Dowen College, Lagos who died from internal injuries sustained by torture from students for failing to join a cult.

These three innocent souls are our children. We must all join voices and support the parents to call for :

1. Criminal charges to be pressed against the school and those identified as collaborators.

2. Thorough investigation leaving no stone unturned no matter how highly placed the parents of the erring wards are.

3. The establishment of a body under the supervision of the Federal ministry of education to monitor, supervise and evsliuate activities of all private schools (boarding & day ) in Nigeria.

4. The expansion of Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC Nigeria) activities to oversee activities of private schools especially boarding facilities.

FCCPC can (amongst others);

- pay an impromptu visit to boarding schools to inspect the quality of food served (I remember the watery beans at FGC Idoani) and (the GGUSS. Oboroke’s watery akamu with chippings of overnight Amala as the same poorly washed pot is used for everything) .

- pay a visit to the hostels especially at night to see the students sleeping on bare floor, kneeling all night in the cold as punishment, bunk-shocking , dirty toilets, lack of drinking water (not to talk of bathing water) etc

- interview students randomly to unravel SnD intercept torture and sexual abuse by fellow students and /or teachers . 

Believe me, there are so many more students suffering abuse in boarding and day schools but have had fear imbibed in them that they are too scared to speak up. “A cry for help is a death sentence “ they victims are often warned.

So take a good look at these three faces . Two dead ... one alive.

Even the boy Don that’s alive will never be the same again. God help and bless him!

I’ll plead, let’s join voices and forces to have these schools support the call for justice and ensure stringent measures are in place to curb the evil of bullying and abuse.

Meanwhile, I have a score to settle with International Community School, Abuja. Nigeria. It’s been 7 years but feels like yesterday each time I read of such stories.
Just waiting for the right time .... soon ... soon.

Natasha H Akpoti

1 Like

Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by Bishopino: 9:26pm On Dec 03, 2021
I stand for justice for Sylvester.. let all the perpetrators be brought to book.. JUSTICE FOR SYLVESTER!!!!!!
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by DaRuud(m): 9:32pm On Dec 03, 2021
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by rezzy: 11:19pm On Dec 03, 2021
ojesymsym:
Was he playing with his mates?

Yes he was
Re: Sylvester Oromoni: Dowen College Shuts Down School For 2 Days by 1Sharon(f): 1:15am On Dec 04, 2021
Edusouls:
In the next 25years this cruel and evil generation would be adults, the society then would be terrible for living..

Please what are their names? And what country did they go to?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Federal Polytechnic Offa, Kwara State Admission 2011/2012 / Trailer Kills 2 FUOYE Students Who Are Siblings & A Bike Man / How ASUU Strike Is Affecting Graduates Too

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.