Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,774 members, 7,831,491 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland (4733 Views)

Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland / Fredrick Obateru Akinruntan: I Am The Leader Of All Obas In Yorubaland / "I Am The Igwe And Obi Of Yorubaland" - Abdulrasheed Akanbi, The Oluwo Of Iwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by bomb24: 9:14pm On Dec 03, 2021
Early Igbo Sojourners in Eastern Yorubaland.

The attached pictures depict people at a masquerade dance. The masquerade is the famous Mgbedike masquerade, popular in the Nri-Ọka area. In Picture 1, a man can be seen wearing a hat, with ichi marks on his face.

But these pictures were not taken in Igboland. They were taken in the village of Okitipupa, in the Ondo area of eastern Yorubaland in the 1940s by British colonial officer Edward Harland Duckworth. Who were these people and what was Mgbedike doing in Yorubaland in the '40s?

Ọka tradition relates that their itinerant blacksmiths had penetrated into Yorubaland at some undetermined time in the past. Professor O. N. Njoku says this happened sometime between the 1890s and 1904. But it was in the Colonial Period, from the 1930s, that they began to appear there in significant numbers for Yoruba tradition to take notice of their presence.

It was their skill in gun-smithing that enabled the Ọka to penetrate Yorubaland. While Yoruba gunsmiths used nails and riveted their gun parts, Ọka smiths used screws. Ọka guns could thus be taken apart, cleaned, and re-assembled.

The best-known of the Ọka smiths in Yorubaland in the 1930s was one Godwin Okafọ who settled in Igede Ekiti. Ekiti people didn't even know his name and simply called him Ọka. He brought innovations and enriched the smithing tradition of Igede, just as his fellow Ọka crafts workers were changing the face of the profession in other towns in Ekiti.

This is what an elder from Igede, Chief Akande, had to say about Godwin and his 'brothers':

"These Isobos [a name originally referring to Urhobos, but extended to anyone from the Eastern Region] came and began to make heavy-duty guns that could kill 2 or 3 animals at once. They were the first to seriously start producing knives, cutlasses hoes, and others in large quantities for sale. Look at Awka [i.e., Godwin Okafọ], he is small in stature but stronger than many around us. He was the person who first started producing short, rather than the usual long, guns here. Not only that, these Awka people performed their smithing activity by producing, for the first time, double-barrel guns that could kill a whole district if there is war..."

(" Economic History of Ekiti People in Nigeria, 1900 - 1960" by Jumoke Oloidi Ph.D. Thesis, UNN)

copied @Igboid.

cc. lalasticlala, OAMJ, mukina, mancoconut, bkayy, eastlink, Slayerforever, 9pluto.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by bomb24: 9:15pm On Dec 03, 2021

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by KillIgbohoN0W: 9:27pm On Dec 03, 2021
Wow
So Igbos transformed Afonjaland and took them away from their primitive ways with mind-blowing inventions.

11 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by BKayy: 9:31pm On Dec 03, 2021
If one conducts thorough research, he will realise that ancient Ndigbo were moving around civilising alot of nations in Africa and Yoruba people were not left out.

13 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by headSmasher: 9:32pm On Dec 03, 2021
KillIgbohoN0W:
Wow
So Igbos transformed Afonjaland and took them away from their primitive ways with mind-blowing inventions.
you are right

2 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by bomb24: 9:34pm On Dec 03, 2021
KillIgbohoN0W:
Wow

It is what it is! we brought civilization to Yoruba-land. grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by bomb24: 9:37pm On Dec 03, 2021
BKayy:
If one conducts thorough research, he will realise that ancient Ndigbo were moving around civilising alot of nations in Africa and Yoruba people are not left out.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by 9Pluto(m): 9:40pm On Dec 03, 2021
I thought I was an informed Nigerian, but with what I have discovered this past weeks including this information I think the Nigerian government owes it as a duty to teach it citizens of their proud history. Despite the unfortunate blight of the civil war, there's a lot to be proud of.

I have always thought that claims of igbo people as great blacksmiths was a ruse. But this confirms it. Contrary to claims and assumptions, igbo indeed have a proud history.

Thank you OP @bomb24 for this piece of history, the term Oka made now begins to make sense.

9 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by bomb24: 9:42pm On Dec 03, 2021
9Pluto:
I thought I was an informed Nigerian, but with what I have discovered this past weeks including this information I think the Nigerian government owes it as a duty to teach it citizens of their proud history. Despite the unfortunate blight of the civil war. There's a lot to be proud of.

I have always thought that claims of igbo people as great blacksmiths was a ruse. But this confirms it. Contrary to claims and assumptions, igbo indeed have a proud history.

Thank you OP @bomb24 for this piece of history, the term Oka made now begins to make sense.

Igbo is civilization, civilization is Igbo! you're welcome Nwanne.

6 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by oluztx: 9:43pm On Dec 03, 2021
c
Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by BKayy: 9:44pm On Dec 03, 2021
KillIgbohoN0W:
Wow
Until lions tell their story, the tales of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Now let me shock you. Do you know that the Anglo-Aro war in Igboland cost Britain more resources, time and soldiers than what they call Bini Empire?

1. Aro expedition took 5 months while Bini took 9 days.

2. Aro expedition was fought on more than 10 fronts with major battles numbering 7, while Bini was two massacres, one was deliberate while the second was as a punishment.

3. Arọ shocked Britain by digging trenches to evade bullets while Bini didn't show any invention.

4. Arọ expedition cost Britain advanced weapons and manpower numbering 1,550 soldiers of which at least 700 died while the Bini expedition cost Britain 1,200 soldiers no mortar or advanced weaponry and barely recorded any casualty.

Now, answer me one question, between Aro and Bini, who is qualified to call herself an Empire?

11 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by 9Pluto(m): 9:45pm On Dec 03, 2021
bomb24:

Igbo is civilization, civilization is Igbo! you're welcome Nwanne.

At the rate you are going, you guys would soon unearth the first igbo man to get to Lagos.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by bomb24: 9:52pm On Dec 03, 2021
9Pluto:

At the rate you are going, you guys would soon unearth the first igbo man to get to Lagos.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by bomb24: 10:01pm On Dec 03, 2021
BKayy:

Until lions tell their story, the tales of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Now let me shock you. Do you know that the Anglo-Aro war in Igboland cost Britain more resources, time and soldiers than what they call Bini Empire?

1. Aro expedition took 5 months while Bini took 9 days.

2. Aro expedition was fought on more than 10 fronts with major battles numbering 7, while Bini was two massacres, one was deliberate while the second was as a punishment.

3. Arọ shocked Britain by digging trenches to evade bullets while Bini didn't show any invention.

4. Arọ expedition cost Britain advanced weapons and manpower numbering 1,550 soldiers of which at least 700 died while the Bini expedition cost Britain 1,200 soldiers no mortar or advanced weaponry and barely recorded any casualty.

Now, answer me one question, between Aro and Bini, who is qualified to call herself an Empire?

There were about 2000 plus British soldiers who took part in the expedition. The resistance put up by The Aros was a fierce one.

4 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by BKayy: 10:09pm On Dec 03, 2021
bomb24:

There were about 2000 plus British soldiers who took part in the expedition. The resistance put up by The Aros was a fierce one.
It was more than that if you include reinforcements. They continue to narrow it down so they settled for this number.

But anyhow they put it, if you look at the number you will notice that Aro took out more than half of the soldiers.
So they understood that they were dealing with civilised people unlike in Bini where they marched unchallenged, massacred and burnt down houses only to turn around and glorify them in bid to downplay those that stood up to them so that there won't be any repetition.

Imagine if Ndigbo grew up learning these histories, knowing how courageous their ancestors were, do you think that we will tolerate nonsense from anybody?
This is why Britain glorified those that made it easy for them, people like Bini and The Caliphate.

You won't see Britain glorify Igbo because they don't want to motivate others to oppose them.

8 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by mancoconut: 10:14pm On Dec 03, 2021
bomb24:

The attached pictures depict people at a masquerade dance. The masquerade is the famous Mgbedike masquerade, popular in the Nri-Ọka area. In Picture 1, a man can be seen wearing a hat, with ichi marks on his face.

But these pictures were not taken in Igboland. They were taken in the village of Okitipupa, in the Ondo area of eastern Yorubaland in the 1940s by British colonial officer Edward Harland Duckworth. Who were these people and what was Mgbedike doing in Yorubaland in the '40s?

Ọka tradition relates that their itinerant blacksmiths had penetrated into Yorubaland at some undetermined time in the past. Professor O. N. Njoku says this happened sometime between the 1890s and 1904. But it was in the Colonial Period, from the 1930s, that they began to appear there in significant numbers for Yoruba tradition to take notice of their presence.

It was their skill in gun-smithing that enabled the Ọka to penetrate Yorubaland. While Yoruba gunsmiths used nails and riveted their gun parts, Ọka smiths used screws. Ọka guns could thus be taken apart, cleaned, and re-assembled.

The best-known of the Ọka smiths in Yorubaland in the 1930s was one Godwin Okafọ who settled in Igede Ekiti. Ekiti people didn't even know his name and simply called him Ọka. He brought innovations and enriched the smithing tradition of Igede, just as his fellow Ọka crafts workers were changing the face of the profession in other towns in Ekiti.

This is what an elder from Igede, Chief Akande, had to say about Godwin and his 'brothers':

"These Isobos [a name originally referring to Urhobos, but extended to anyone from the Eastern Region] came and began to make heavy-duty guns that could kill 2 or 3 animals at once. They were the first to seriously start producing knives, cutlasses hoes, and others in large quantities for sale. Look at Awka [i.e., Godwin Okafọ], he is small in stature but stronger than many around us. He was the person who first started producing short, rather than the usual long, guns here. Not only that, these Awka people performed their smithing activity by producing, for the first time, double-barrel guns that could kill a whole district if there is war..."

(" Economic History of Ekiti People in Nigeria, 1900 - 1960" by Jumoke Oloidi Ph.D. Thesis, UNN)

copied @Igboid.

cc. lalasticlala, OAMJ, mukina, mancoconut, bkayy, eastlink, Slayerforever, 9pluto.

Beautiful stuff, always knew we brought civilization to these people... I'll bookmark this information for further research.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by mancoconut: 10:14pm On Dec 03, 2021
bomb24:

The Aro resistance makes me proud to be Aro!!!

6 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by mancoconut: 10:17pm On Dec 03, 2021
BKayy:

It was more than that if you include reinforcements. They continue to narrow it down so they settled for this number.

But anyhow they put it, if you look at the number you will notice that Aro took out more than half of the soldiers.
So they understood that they were dealing with civilised people unlike in Bini where they marched unchallenged, massacred and burnt down houses only to turn around and glorify them in bid to downplay those that stood up to them so that there won't be any repetition.

Imagine if Ndigbo grew up learning these histories, knowing how courageous their ancestors were, do you think that we will tolerate nonsense from anybody?
This is why Britain glorified those that made it easy for them, people like Bini and The Caliphate.

You won't see Britain glorify Igbo

Are you aware Aro warriors and powerful traditional medicine-men also helped our Western Igbo brothers during their Ekumeku resistance against the British? a friend and historian from Ibusa actually told me this...the Aro influence across Igboland was MASSIVE.

8 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by BKayy: 10:25pm On Dec 03, 2021
mancoconut:

Are you aware Aro warriors and powerful traditional medicine-men also helped our Western Igbo brothers during their Ekumeku resistance against the British? a friend and historian from Ibusa actually told me this...the Aro influence across Igboland was MASSIVE.
Apparently, Aro-Anglo war happened 18 years into Ekumeku and Ekumeku continued for additional 12 years after it.

That is Ekumeku (1883) was already on for 18 years before Aro-Anglo war (1901) and after the Aro-Anglo war it still continued after a brief interruption for additional 13 years (1914).

So if we are looking for who influenced the other, the answer will be Ekumeku because it is 18 solid years older and active before Aro-Anglo war.

Mehn those our Western Igbo brothers are one hell of a stubborn group.

5 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by bomb24: 10:28pm On Dec 03, 2021
This thread gave a fatal blow to the rabble-rousers from the west side, they have all suddenly gone cold, and their fingers soured they can't even type anymore. grin grin

Yorubas Always bragging about having civilization when your ancestors got None fucking clowns. angry

3 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by Christistruth00: 10:28pm On Dec 03, 2021
bomb24:

copied @Igboid.

We Sent them Christianity with Bishop Ajayi Crowther and they Sent us their Masquerades with their local devils in return

Anyway at least they sent us some Blacksmiths too

Jesus Christ have Mercy on us all

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by BKayy: 10:34pm On Dec 03, 2021
Christistruth00:

We Sent them Christianity with Bishop Ajayi Crowther and they Sent us Masquerades with their local devils in return

Jesus Christ have Mercy on us all
We gave you science and Innovation.
Did you bother to read the thread at all?

You just jumped in and started rumbling about how you helped white people to spread the chain of religion.

Please go back and read the article before you embarrass yourself further.

7 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by Igboid: 10:34pm On Dec 03, 2021
Good one OP.
I opened a thread on this some time ago.
I was hoping it could get to front page.
But it didn't.
If it were the reverse, it would be in front page.

https://www.nairaland.com/6765286/early-igbo-sojourners-eastern-yorubaland
Let's hope it gets to front page this time around, but I'm not holding my breath, soon they would shift it to either culture or tribalism session.
Anything that portrays Igbo race in spotlight is not something that pleases those who run this forum.

4 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by Igboid: 10:38pm On Dec 03, 2021
The Oka blacksmiths couldn't crack how to make barrel of guns fast enough.
That was the Achilles hill that made the whites defeat us.
Oka blacksmiths were so skilled, they could replicate any metallic ware/technology they set their eyes on.
They could make all parts of a gun, but the barrel.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by Christistruth00: 10:39pm On Dec 03, 2021
BKayy:

We gave you science and Innovation.
Did you bother to read the thread at all?

You just jumped in and started rumbling about how you helped white people to spread the chain of religion.

Please go back and read the article before you embarrass yourself further.

When God used Bishop Ajayi Crowther to take Cassava and Garri to the East

Garri became an instant Smash hit and SuperStar

They Loved it
They are still fighting each other over their share of Garri and Akpu almost 200 years later

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by bomb24: 10:45pm On Dec 03, 2021
Igboid:
Good one OP.
I opened a thread on this some time ago.
I was hoping it could get to front page.
But it didn't.
If it were the reverse, it would be in front page.

https://www.nairaland.com/6765286/early-igbo-sojourners-eastern-yorubaland
Let's hope it gets to front page this time around, but I'm not holding my breath, soon they would shift it to either culture or tribalism session.
Anything that portrays Igbo race in spotlight is not something that pleases those who run this forum.

I have noticed that same shit for quite a long time. the mods are so disgusting.

1 Like

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by bomb24: 10:47pm On Dec 03, 2021
Christistruth00:

[s]When God used Bishop Ajayi Crowther to take Cassava and Garri to the East

They Loved it
They are still fighting each other over their share of Garri and Akpu almost 200 years later[/s]

stale come up with something reasonable. your so-called ajayi Crowther never met the Igbos hungry. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by Christistruth00: 10:51pm On Dec 03, 2021
bomb24:

stale come up with something reasonable. your so-called ajayi Crowther never met the Igbos hungry. cheesy

Bishop Ajayi Crowther met them in a Food Crisis

Yam was the main Diet in Igboland

Once the Yam Harvest was bad You had all had it

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by BKayy: 10:53pm On Dec 03, 2021
Christistruth00:

When God used Bishop Ajayi Crowther to take Cassava and Garri to the East

They Loved it
They are still fighting each other over their share of Garri and Akpu almost 200 years later
I want you to understand something.

Cassava was introduced to Ndigbo and Yoruba people the same year.

Now look at both of us.
Ndigbo have used the cassava given to them to develop "Abacha, Garri, kokoro, akpụ for swallow etc and in the Biafran war brewed Beer from it.
But you, almost 500 years since it was introduced to you yorubas you have not developed anything from it apart copying Igbo garri that till now you haven't learnt from us how to make it yellow to reduce the toxicity of it.

Instead of hating, if you Yorubas calm down you would learn alot of science and Innovation from Ndigbo.

8 Likes

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by bomb24: 10:54pm On Dec 03, 2021
Christistruth00:

Bishop Ajayi Crowther met them in a Food Crisis

Yam was the main Diet

Once the Yam Harvest was bad You had all had it

Abeg carry your ewedu ati gbegiri history commot make I see road.

1 Like

Re: Early Igbo Sojourners In Eastern Yorubaland by Christistruth00: 10:54pm On Dec 03, 2021
BKayy:

I want you to understand something.

Cassava was introduced to Ndigbo and Yoruba people the same year.

Now look at both of us.
Ndigbo have used the cassava given to them to develop "Abacha, garri, akpụ for swallow etc and in the Biafran war brewed Beer from it.
But you, almost hundred years since it was introduced to you yorubas you have not developed anything from it apart copying Igbo garri that till now you haven't learnt from us how to make it yellow to reduce the toxicity of it.

In your Dreams

Akpu ( Fufu) and Garri were both brought too you
They were both a staple diet initially eaten by Yoruba ex Slaves from Brazil
and Popular in Yorubaland
you were even shown how to soak Garri in Water

That doesn’t mean Mr Okafor was not a very good Blacksmith

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yoruba Scholars - Help Me Tackle The Meaning Of Nagudu / Yoruba Day Celebration / Facts About The Mbaise People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.