Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,205 members, 7,836,006 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest (3136 Views)

SARAKI: Code of Conduct Tribunal Refuses Entry Of Journalists Into Its Premises / Mark, Ekweremadu Leave NASS Premises Without Convoy, Aides / Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by Dotman01(m): 9:34am On Jun 11, 2011
A detachment of policemen from Imo State Police Command yesterday, stormed the premises of Nigerian Television Authority, NTA, fired teargas canisters and ransacked the entire offices.

Saturday Vanguard investigations revealed that the policemen were in NTA premises to stop scores of elected local council operators, who were recently sacked by Governor Rochas Okorocha, from making their grievances known through the television channel.

It was also gathered that the rampaging policemen disrupted operations in the station for more than 40 minutes and arrested over 200 of the protesters and took them to an unknown destination.

As at the time of going to press, the families and friends of the arrested protesters were yet to establish link with their loved ones and none was charged to court for any misdemeanor.

Reacting to the ugly incident, the General Manager of NTA Owerri, Lady Tessy Ihuoma Alfred, condemned the police action and likened it to “sheer
brutality and unnecessary invasion of NTA premises.

“I do not like the police action. I condemn it in its entirety. The demonstration by the elected local government councilors was very peaceful. I expected the policemen or their leader to at least come and see the General Manager, GM, but they felt they are above the law”, Lady Alfred fumed.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/police-raid-nta-premises/
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by Ikengawo: 1:34pm On Jun 11, 2011
wow. if this is true my opinion of rochas is sinking by the second! this guy's out of his mind!
please cite your source cause there's a higher chance that this is speculation then truth
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by Dede1(m): 9:53pm On Jun 11, 2011
Ikengawo:

wow. if this is true my opinion of rochas is sinking by the second! this guy's out of his mind!
please cite your source cause there's a higher chance that this is speculation then truth

Now you realized opinions are terrible things to have unfortunately everybody had one. Again, my people say “anything scooped from the side of pot ends at the side of mouth”. All those political lover peddlers have shunned this thread.

Rochas Okorocha is not different from any other Nigerian who has no business with democracy. These elected LGA councilors should proceed to court in oder to stop Okorocha in his tracks.

Also, they should use this opportunity to ascertain the validity of Okorocha as governor of Imo State since gubernatorial election in Imo State was surrounded by mystery.
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by AndreUweh(m): 11:06pm On Jun 11, 2011
Dede1:

Now you realized opinions are terrible things to have unfortunately everybody had one. Again, my people say “anything scooped from the side of pot ends at the side of mouth”. All those political lover peddlers have shunned this thread.

Rochas Okorocha is not different from any other Nigerian who has no business with democracy. These elected LGA councilors should proceed to court in oder to stop Okorocha in his tracks.

Also, they should use this opportunity to ascertain the validity of Okorocha as governor of Imo State since gubernatorial election in Imo State was surrounded by mystery.
Apart from your LGA, I do not know any other LGA that conducted elections last August. PDP appointed their servants for those positions. They have to go to the polls and test their popularity now.
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by Sunofgod(m): 11:20pm On Jun 11, 2011
Rochas seems to be nothing but a dirty gangster. . . . .

Imo people have 4 more years of his antics to put up with after which they will be screaming - Ohakim 2015
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by ShangoThor(m): 11:25pm On Jun 11, 2011
So much for freedom of speech and a free press. I believe Fela called it 'Power Show'.

Boy oh boy, Naija is screwed! Nigerians are not free in Nigeria, this sucks big time!
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by AndreUweh(m): 11:26pm On Jun 11, 2011
Sun of god:

Imo people have 4 more years of his antics to put up with after which they will be screaming - Ohakim 2015
No need for name calling please.
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by ak47mann(m): 11:34pm On Jun 11, 2011
they should give the man a chance to work haba ;d ;d
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by phantom(m): 11:46pm On Jun 11, 2011
i hope this man is not getting way ahead of himself??
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by kasiem(m): 11:59pm On Jun 11, 2011
Dede1:

most times u talk as if u have monopoly of democracy. Ohakim constituted a team of his gangsters and surrogates which he's using to unleash privation on the abject imolites, but, to his foolhardiness he never had a premonition of his impending ignominous abdication from the throne that he never labored for cos of his overbloated ego and insanity. Today, a democratically elected governor is elected and he wants to work with a democratically instituted councillors, that's why he found it congruent to commence with zapping all the stooges that were instituted by his predeccessor to make room for the teeming imolites to come out en masse and select the people who'll help steering the affairs of their councils. U sounded too hillarious and naive when u said that circumstances surrounding the annihilation of ohakim were enigmatic, man, if that election happens to be reconducted ohakim will never dare contesting to save his much vilified image. Rochas we know.
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by Ojiofor: 12:06am On Jun 12, 2011
Nzeribe's newly married wife from Edo state is the chairman of Oguta LGA,I wonder who elected her to that position.
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by ifebosco: 11:25am On Jun 12, 2011

Sun of god:

you have not tested him yet stop insulting him ,because the ohakim you are referring to has shown us his ability to govern and let me tell you,

he is a disgrace to the imolites.he had 4years to change things around.let him go and enjoy his 7star hotel he build in south africa with our money.revolution is coming to nigeria he and others like you , will one day answer questions.
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by ifebosco: 11:37am On Jun 12, 2011
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by Dotman01(m): 11:40am On Jun 12, 2011
Is this a case of from fry pan to fire for imo people or what?
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by jaguar09(m): 11:45am On Jun 12, 2011
There was never LG Elections in Imo state last August, But total selection from concillorship to LGA chairman. Ohakim hand picked all of them. Now is time to prepare the ground for the people's elected LG bosses.

Rochas ride on, these days i doubt newpaper write-up as source of credible news because we have lots of payed journalist who will stop at nothing to discredit someone all because of money. Journalism in Nigeria is becoming a shame,
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by anthony86(m): 11:51am On Jun 12, 2011
History has a way of repeating itself . I remember when fashola came in and the demolitions,some were actually illegal.sometimes for the General good you have to displease some.
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by IykeD(m): 11:52am On Jun 12, 2011
Good one Rochas, we support you wholeheartedly. Imo shall be great again!
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by dextac: 12:02pm On Jun 12, 2011
[size=16pt]The ROCHAS I know has the political WILL to perform and even transform Imo State, but he BADLY NEEDS AN ASTUTE ADVISER ON MEDIA/PUBLICITY, this is his THIRD media blunder in less than one month,  Let's give him a chance[/size]
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by violent(m): 12:25pm On Jun 12, 2011
Isn't it the man that gave up his salary for free education. . .I laugh in Imolish!

Now the freedom of people to stage a peaceful protest is being denied by someone who intends to foster democracy in the state.

It's more disgusting to think the principal reasons people were probably sacked from their jobs was because those people were appointed by a political  opponent and were not in support of his governorship bid!

Nigerians will never learn

Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by pereze: 12:43pm On Jun 12, 2011
This is just an intro, the main gbadu is yet to be released. Imolites brace up for the shock of your lives!
No be bros again de in charge?
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by GOZILLA(m): 2:01pm On Jun 12, 2011
I'm not suprised!
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by texazzpete(m): 3:38pm On Jun 12, 2011
I hope you people know that the Nigerian police can and will act on their own accord to attack and crush protests/riots without any instruction from Government?
Why blame this on Rochas?
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by chelseabmw(m): 4:31pm On Jun 12, 2011
smiley
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by Eziachi: 5:11pm On Jun 12, 2011
Nigeria and their junk journalism.
Vanguard investigation reveals, the article said but failed to mention about the investiagtion itself and how it was conducted and what vanguard actually did that warrant to be called an investigation.

NTA is a federal establishment, Governors do not command the police, neither do they take orders from him, which makes nonesense of this story as I cannot make a sense of it.

Who called the police to the NTA premises?
Is it NTA management , vanguard said condenmed the police action or who?
If NTA is happy/safe with their guest, (demostrators) who was it that called the police then and for what reason?

How can police uninvited arrived at a premises that was peaceful between the host (NTA) and the guest (demostrators) and start throwing tear gas?
And how did Rochas Okorocha came into this story?
If the demostrators are the sacked Chairmen of the LGA, since when does 21 men constitutes a crowd that warranted a police tear gas to control? So Nigerian elite now can demostrate?

This story did not add up.
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by cashful(m): 5:44pm On Jun 12, 2011
Definitely not the right step(if the story is true anyway), they do have a right to peaceful protest, but its too early to start judging Rochas, he has plans lets wait and see
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by Reference(m): 5:45pm On Jun 12, 2011
When has it become an offense to dislodge protesters with tear gas and arrest unruly rioters. A mountain out of a mole hill this one.
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by MMM2(m): 6:54pm On Jun 12, 2011
na wo
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by Oscillation(m): 9:12pm On Jun 12, 2011
Political cronies of ohakim can never desist from implicating rochas, any way democracy does not call for hand picked leaders. Do to them as you like since there master is on the run  tongue cheesy grin tongue tongue
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by owobokiri(m): 9:38pm On Jun 12, 2011
The governor is on the right track. He should sack them. Ohakim was up to no good and populated the whole place with cronnies. The new governor needs to have honest people in the LGAs. I dont know why those of us that are not Imo people are always far more worried about Rochas that the people of Imo.
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by Canisma(m): 10:01pm On Jun 12, 2011
Hey, only people living in imo state should comment any further pls. Enough of these uninformed posts here and there. Get this straight, firstly, vanguard newspaper is owned by a PDP Chieftain, iwuanyanwu himself, who was disgraced out of office along with ohakim. So more of such reports would be coming from them. Secondly, these so called protesters are PDP Councillors who are pressing for thier restoration to thier former offices to go and continue stealing the LGA funds with impunity. So u can understand how we imolites living in imo hate and detest them, since they seek only for thier pockets. Thirdly, thier election was a demonstration of sheer lawlessness by the former governor because there was a court injuction barring the conduct of the election which was flouted by ohakim. So legally, thier election is null and void. Wonder why PDP has not gone to court to dispute the dissolution of local council chairmen, they wont because it would pitch them against the court for flouting its order. Get this fact; rochas is dealing with ohakim's men. And we imolites support him all the way. Imo might not be like america in the next four years but we ll be far better than where we are now. As for the imo election, we re lucky to be one of the states where the people's vote counted. Long live owelle,long live imo state.
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by mygee33(m): 8:10am On Jun 13, 2011
They know they can't go to court cause the flouted court order in the begining. They shouldn't ever have been in the LGAs. So it's illegality in high places. Even NTA will not help them. I Rem Ikiri swaring them in as early as 6.30 am claiming. Ignorant of the court order.
Re: Imo: Police Raid NTA Premises To Squash Protest by mekuzoil(m): 3:38pm On Jun 13, 2011
Since this new dispensation began, Imo state is daily in the news for good actions undertaken by Rochas, the new governor of the state, and i keep wondering if there is no governor in the sister state(Abia State), coz day in day out one doesnt hear any thing happening from that State, or is that State finally dead?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Presidential Campaign In London (pics) / What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) / To Yorubas On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.