Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,882 members, 7,956,327 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:06 AM

As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? (22426 Views)

Lagos Shuts Down Chrisland School Indefinitely Over Sex Tape Of Minors / Schoolmate Of Sylvester Oromoni Reveals How He Was Tortured By Senior Students / Students Who Took Examination Cheating To Another Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by iReddington: 11:29am On Dec 06, 2021
ashjay001:

He didn't die immediately, can't be murder
Put your thinking cap on, so if someone is shot and manages to get home or the hospital before passing on, that means the accused can't be charged with murder because the victim didn't die at the scene of the crime

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Ashirioluwa: 11:29am On Dec 06, 2021
They are killers and they should be treated accordingly. Also, the school needs to be shut down permanently for covering this bad act

1 Like

Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Gkay1(m): 11:29am On Dec 06, 2021
If u are old enough to commit crime then you are old enough to face the consequences.

1 Like

Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 06, 2021
Bantu10:

Sorry for my insensitive response. Soo Sorry about that

I wish Niaraland was like this

You did well man, big ups

2 Likes

Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Albertone(m): 11:31am On Dec 06, 2021
HelloWriter:

The Nigerian democratic system is largely copied from the US. This includes the legal system. So, the provisions of the law are basically the same in both countries.

Oga the Nigerian law is mostly enacted from UK laws.Ask any barrister you see.
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by marsup: 11:32am On Dec 06, 2021
They will be tried as adult, because of the gravity of the crime. I don't really know what's applicable in the Nigerian judicial system. Sometimes they blow hot, sometimes they blow cold.
Be that as it may, the boys are finished. A friend called me from Ireland, to say they heard what happened in the school, I'm sure CNN will air it soon.
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 11:32am On Dec 06, 2021
THEY WILL BE KEPT IN PENNITENTIARY TILL THAT ARE ADULTS AND TRIED.angryTHOSE EVIL KIDS ARE RESULTS OF BAD UPBRINGING FROM NEGLIGENCE OF THEIR PARENTS TO DECAY IN MORAL INSTITUTIONS IN NAIJA. EVEN THE SCHOOL MANAGEMENT TOO IS VERY VERY STUPPID FOR COLLECTING ALL THAT JUMBO SCHOOL FEES AND THEY CAN'T PUT IN PLACE SIMPLE SURVEILENCE CAMERAS TO TRACK MISCHIEVIOUS STUDENTS AND ENSURE SECURITYangry THIS IS TYPICAL OF BLACK MAN SENSE IRRESPECTIVE OF HIGH LEVEL OF EDUCATION, MOST BLACK PPL STILL BEHAVE LIKE MONKEYS.THEY CAN'T THINK AHEAD OR PLAN HOLISTICALLY TO AVERT UGLY SITUATIONS.

HOW CAN YOUNG LADS OF SUCH POPULAR SCHOOL CONCEIVE SO MUCH HATE TO THE EXTENT OF TORTURING THEIR CLASSMATE?
THOSE BOYS ARE POSSESSED.SPARE THE ROD AND SPOIL THE CHILD,U PPL ARE SEEING THE CONSEQUENCES. undecided
FEED THEM WITH GARBAGES(VULGARISM,TRUANCY,DEVIOUS LIFE) FROM IMMORAL LIFESTYLE,THEY BECOME SAVAGES!
FEED THEM WITH GODLY ADMONITION, THEY BECOME PURPOSEFUL HUMAN BEINGS THAT WILL BE USEFUL TO SOCIETY!
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by lastchild: 11:33am On Dec 06, 2021
They'll be sent to juvenile detention for punishment, That's if Nigerian government has anything like that, am not even sure if they have heard such grammar before
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Albertone(m): 11:34am On Dec 06, 2021
Divoc19:
They killed him because he SNITCHED on them.
They wasted him to teach other students lesson.
What did he expose that warranted his untimely death

Where did you get your own story from?
He was killed for refusing to join them!
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Midas01: 11:36am On Dec 06, 2021
In the case of the US school shooting, the boy's parents were not arrested because he came from home with the gun. The parents were arrested for two reasons.

1. The boy having easy access to the gun. The boy posted pictures of him holding the gun and calling it his new "baby".

2. The mother telling him she was not mad he brought a gun to school and telling him he just shouldn't have got caught.

Those were the reasons for his parents being arrested.
HelloWriter:
I think that the burden of the responsibility would be on anyone acting in loco parentis (in parental position). If they did it while at home, their parents would have been the ones to hold responsible. But, now that they did it while at a boarding school, the school managers are to be held responsible.

A case in point relates to the minor involved in the recent school shooting in Michigan, USA. His parents have been arrested because he came to school from his home with the gun on the day of the shooting.

Even in Late Sylvester's case, his real parents may also share in the responsibility as many Nairalanders agree on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/6880945/opinion-why-blame-oromoni-snr

1 Like

Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by maiquel: 11:38am On Dec 06, 2021
HelloWriter:

The Nigerian democratic system is largely copied from the US. This includes the legal system. So, the provisions of the law are basically the same in both countries.

Our laws are not copied from the US. We were colonised by the British, what we have is called the Received English Law

2 Likes

Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by jaxxy(m): 11:38am On Dec 06, 2021
nairavsdollars:
If found guilty of torturing Sylvester Oromoni, the 12 year old student of Dowen College, Lekki to death, what will happen to the affected students since they are minors and not up to 18?

Kirikiri or alagbon will be their new home for some years.
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Nobody: 11:42am On Dec 06, 2021
Please is Buruji Kashamu still alive
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by maiquel: 11:45am On Dec 06, 2021
Albertone:

Where did you get your own story from?
He was killed for refusing to join them!

The two of you aren't wrong...
The boys didn't intend to kill him though, I must correct. They wanted to teach him a lesson for refusing to join and/or snitch on them

1 Like

Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by hollywater: 11:49am On Dec 06, 2021
In the case of murder, there is nothing like minor. In Germany a 13 year old can go to jail (Junge haft) immediately he or She complete 18,the full raw will catch him or her up.
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Lugianostar(m): 11:55am On Dec 06, 2021
If found guilty as minor they are, they should die by hanging.
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by shantti(m): 12:04pm On Dec 06, 2021
A teenager who killed students in his school in America was tried as an adult, so with due respect, they should be tried as adults and charged with murder

1 Like

Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by shantti(m): 12:10pm On Dec 06, 2021
flyca:
I think it is best if their parents will be made to pay heavily (monetary) for their crime. Slam them very heavy fines.

How can u even think like this? That is not a punishment. That means their kids can go ahead killing people because the consequences will be paying money which is just chicken change for their parents.
If the victims is to be compensated with money, I think all the properties, assets and money of the killers parents should automatically be given to the victims family. That way the killers people will feel real pain
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by flyca: 12:14pm On Dec 06, 2021
shantti:

How can u even think like this? That is not a punishment. That means their kids can go ahead killing people because the consequences will be paying money which is just chicken change for their parents.
If the victims is to be compensated with money, I think all the properties, assets and money of the killers parents should automatically be given to the victims family. That way the killers people will feel real pain

Exactly, very heavy fines. Send them home with almost nothing. Eventually, the kids will retire to givernment schools to meet their match.

If the child you raised is a social delinquent, be ready to face the consequences. Slyvester had a life ahead of him that they have cut short, his parents deserve very very heavy compensentation. Not that it will erase their pains but it will help in the healing process.
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by FaithBrain1994(m): 12:27pm On Dec 06, 2021
Juvenile prison is real and available. Dump them there and end this crappy question. If you want to be a strong man, go and join the military or protocol in church. Shun cultism before it consumes you. Lastly, your children must not be out of your sight for too long.

2 Likes

Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by generalwo(m): 12:43pm On Dec 06, 2021
Before you call them minors, just know that some days back, the USA arrested a 15yrs old boy for killing 4 of his fellow students and wounding another 8....they said they will charge him as an ADULT for terrosim and murder..... I think same should be applied here...... If at this stage they can practice cultism and even kill like adults, then they should not be punished as or like kids... They should face the punishment of an adult....
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Kanyol(m): 12:52pm On Dec 06, 2021
They would be treated as adults.
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by MrMacinterchi1: 1:10pm On Dec 06, 2021
ashjay001:

He didn't die immediately, can't be murder
so it's attempted murder ? Lol or accident?
wonderful
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by MrMacinterchi1: 1:14pm On Dec 06, 2021
SmartyPants:

Bruv, you no go school to study law. Dey your lane na?

Total misrepresentation of the law and facts.

In the Michigan case, there is evidence that the parents actively aided and abetted by ignoring the clear warning signs and in one case, his mother even texted him "don't get caught" when he was caught searching for ammunition.

Totally different cases.

Now, the school authorities can be held responsible if it is found that they acted negligently, or wilfully encouraged such beatings, or then covered it up when it happened. But never just because the beating happened at school.

Avoid misinforming people.
the Mom texted"don't do it" to him the day he carried it out. the dad texted "he should learn how not to get caught" the time he was caught by her teacher searching for ammunition in class.
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by SmartyPants(m): 1:16pm On Dec 06, 2021
MrMacinterchi1:

the Mom texted"don't do it" to him the day he carried it out. the dad texted "he should learn how not to get caught" the time he was caught by her teacher searching for ammunition in class.

Are you adding to or subtracting from my post? I'm not sure what your point is ...I mean that with no malice
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by MrMacinterchi1: 1:23pm On Dec 06, 2021
SmartyPants:

Are you adding to or subtracting from my post? I'm not sure what your point is ...I mean that with no malice
Correcting some statement that weren't factual. I come in peace too.
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by jacoik(m): 1:25pm On Dec 06, 2021
ValCon888:
They will face a trial in camera and if found guilty, they will go to juvenile prison.
what's these juvenile prison and how does it work. Like they can spend 30years there?
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Tomilola360: 1:47pm On Dec 06, 2021
Bantu10:

Sorry for my insensitive response. Soo Sorry about that

Bantu10 thumbs up
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Poleski: 1:50pm On Dec 06, 2021
nairavsdollars:
If found guilty of torturing Sylvester Oromoni, the 12 year old student of Dowen College, Lekki to death, what will happen to the affected students since they are minors and not up to 18?

They need to be prosecuted as adults.
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Father4all: 2:25pm On Dec 06, 2021
nairavsdollars:
Remand home till they are eighteen
Re: As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? by Cardealer2021(m): 2:38pm On Dec 06, 2021
HelloWriter:

If you know anything different from what I said, the only mature thing to do is to say yours to counter mine, and not to try to shun me. No one knows it all, which is one of the reasons we are on a forum like this, ok? Now, say yours and let's all see if you are right or wrong. I'm bigger than to abuse you back.

You just won a fan boss I think you one of the most mannered person on nairaland God bless smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t / Ambrose Alli University Students Protest Hike In Fees, Storm Oba's Palace (Pics) / Faith Odunsi Wins Global Mathematics Competition (2022)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.