Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,791 members, 7,820,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons (39003 Views)

Children Of Today Don't Even Know That In Our Days You Could Be Beaten / 4 Children Of Same Parents Who Died Same Day Buried In Abia (Pictures) / Why Children Of Strict Parents Turn Out To Be Worse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Javalord000(m): 10:50pm On Dec 05, 2021
The world is always changing But good memories though
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Ekpekus(m): 10:52pm On Dec 05, 2021
MufasaLion:
Things have changed. The world has evolved.
Na wetin put the world for where e dey so .
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Ekpekus(m): 10:56pm On Dec 05, 2021
Lastpharoah33:
To be brought up in Nigeria (esp in 80/90's) can be likened to being drilled in a barrack.

The day I came back late from oga minister game shop( when ps2 was the bomb), me that left home for school since morning was coming back around 10pm.

Wetin I see for my mama hand that day ehnn..
I can relate... mine was SEGA/NINTENDO...
My parents almost went to the police station to file for a missing child...
The beat i chop that day nor get part 2

2 Likes

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by sirgalahad26(m): 11:41pm On Dec 05, 2021
Explorers:
1. Crying too long after being beaten.

2. Not crying after being beaten.

3. Crying without being beaten.

4. Standing where elders are sitting.

5. Sitting while elders are standing.

6. Walking around aimlessly where elders are seated.

7. Eating food prepared for visitors.

8. Refusing to eat.

9. Coming back home after sunset.

10. Eating at the neighbour's home.

11. Generally being too moody.

12. Generally being too excited.

13. Losing a fight with older age mate.

14. Winning a fight with your age mate.

15. Eating too slowly.

16. Eating too quickly.

17. Eating too much.

18. Not finishing your food.

19. Finishing your food and Scraping your plate.

20. Eating and talking.

21. Eating your meat before finishing the food.

22. Dropping oil on your clothes while eating.

23. When you eat your launch before 2:00pm.

24. Sleeping while the elders in the house have already woken up.

25. Dragging your feet while walking.

26. Stumbling and falling while walking

27. Looking at the visitors while they are eating.

28. Looking at an elder eye ball to eye ball.

29. When an elder is talking to you and you blink.

30. When an elder is talking to you and you stare and not blink.

31. When you look at an elder through the corner of your eye.

32. When your mates are playing street football and you join them.

33. When your mates are playing and you don’t join them.

34. When you don't wash your dish after eating.

35. When you wash your dish improperly.

36. When you almost break your dish.

37. When you break your dish.

38. When you bite your nails.

39. When you don't bathe.

40. When you bathe too quickly.

41. When you take too long to bathe.

42. When you take too much toothpaste on your brush.

43. When you’re beaten in school for misbehaving.

44. When a car almost knocks you down.

45. When a car knocks you down and you don’t die.

46. For not answering when spoken to.

47. For answering back when spoken to.

48. Beaten for going to Church or Mosque late.

49. Beaten for borrowing shoe/wears from friends.

50. Greeting/prostrating with only one hand or hands not touching the ground. Ladies going on one knee.

51. Misplacing your pencil, biro, erazer, sharpener or mathematical set in school.

52. Misplacing your Songs of Praise(SOP).

53. Misplacing your Brighter Grammer.

54. Writing on your textbook or coming home with torn textbooks or notebooks.

55. Coming back home with dirty, rough uniform/socks and damaged sandals.

56. Sending you on errands and you stay too long.

57. Sending you on errands and you forgot what you're asked to buy, or you bought something different, or you broke the egg or poured the grind pepper away on the way.

58. Going to neighbors room&parlour to watch TV.

59. Going to a girl's house to ask after her from her Dad/mum sitting outside in the evening. You've killed her.

60. Sleeping in the Living room.
How did you survive childhood with all these?!
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Nicepoker(m): 11:46pm On Dec 05, 2021
These days parents are just breeding lazy kids.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by realestate99: 1:26am On Dec 06, 2021
I once asked myself, with all the iron hand we were tortured with during our child hood, how come we have a dysfunctional society?

Beating does not instill discipline on its own, it has to be aided by other methods, when you beat a kid for every inadequacies, he gets used to it and sometimes he will intentional err if he knows the enjoyment he will get from the punishable act is greater than the punishment itself.

There was a day I ran away from house. I forgot to do the assignments my dad gave me before he went out in the morning, I went out to play street football for almost 6 hours, I was exhausted, my battery was on red, I wanted to rush the assignment when my dad came, he asked for the answers but I was stuttering.

He was unleashing his belt from his trouser's belt hole , I was afraid that day because my body can't take any beating that moment, then suddenly he told me to go outside and bring a big stone so that I can carry it as punishment after I will get my beating.

when I reached outside, a divine thought came to my mind, flee!!! your body can't take the impending punishment. And truthfully I might not survive the beating that day, I dropped the stone and ran , I stopped after I reached another neighborhood, I was there till 8pm, then I remember the rampant cases of kidnappers, I decided to trek back home . When I was some metres to my house , the neighbors were already looking for me, I could hear my mum's cries, I just had to show myself because I couldn't bear to hear her cries any further.

The neighbors were happy I came back, an elderly man told my father not to beat me again that night, one neighbor even took me in for the night because he saw the anger brewing on my dad's face.

After 23 years, I told my dad that if I had been punished that day, He might not have someone to call his only son.........we both laughed over it.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by juman(m): 1:48am On Dec 06, 2021
realestate99:
I once asked myself, with all the iron hand we were tortured with during our child hood, how come we have a dysfunctional society?

In our own eyes, nigeria turned from good to bad and to worse and worst.
Because we have very insincere leaders.
Military generals ruined the country.
Oloriburuku oleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Thieves.

2 Likes

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by tuzle(m): 2:44am On Dec 06, 2021
Pinkzebra:
But we were abused in all of these just because we are kids and we do not have true relationship with our parents .
We felt humiliated, we hated our parents. This unnecessary beating is responsible for the high rate.of dysfunctional adults we have . We carry this burden of guilt and not knowing how to love truly or maintain healthy relationship with people .

Today I discipline my kids and do not beat them for every 'error' I mostly admonish and it works and we have close relationship. We the millennials guide and discipline in understanding while still maintaining good relationship with our kids .

Our parents do not seek to understand they themselves are broken so they try to fix their own brokenness by breaking us even. The cycle continues , but a new breed of parents are cropping up. But we must create a balance for we can break a child when scolding and discipline is absent for "allowing " a child to do whatever all in a bid to show love and understanding is dangerous in itself.
is that why we have high rate of yahoo boys and also prostitute? I was beating for doing the wrong thing when I was young and I am not broken now. If they had spared me then, I would have been worse.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by capetownboyz(m): 4:00am On Dec 06, 2021
tuzle:
is that why we have high rate of yahoo boys and also prostitute? I was beating for doing the wrong thing when I was young and I am not broken now. If they had spared me then, I would have been worse.
you need to understand both examples mentioned are caused by economic mishaps.. do you know how it feels to be poor.. even the rich ones gets their hands dirty so they generations can live off their wealth in the long run .. so nobody is happy being a prostitute and yahoo boys .. fix the system and see stuff reducing in our society ..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Richy4(m): 5:13am On Dec 06, 2021
grin grin grin
This is simply funny actually... But I don't understand 28 to 31 though... I have never heard of that.. how do they want the kids to look cheesy

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Explorers(m): 7:44am On Dec 06, 2021
Richy4:
grin grin grin
This is simply funny actually... But I don't understand 28 to 31 though... I have never heard of that.. how do they want the kids to look cheesy

Just look/head down grin
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Nobody: 8:30am On Dec 06, 2021
61. Sleeping in the car while your dad is driving.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 06, 2021
That is why we have individuals who are prone to anger and violence with little self-esteem in our society today and you wonder why. Some of us were abused by our parents in the name of discipline. Our parents were abused by their own parents and the circle has been on for a long time.
Just lekwa all the insult and anger on Nairaland.!

That is why we accept mediocrity in Nigeria from our supposed elders. We have been thought to shut up and that the elder is always right and complain is tantamount to disrespect.
We get abused in the guise of lack of respect and have grown with this damaged psyche and low self-confidence and esteem. We think it is normal and we cant challenge our corrupt leaders because of the way we grew up being abused and shut down.

This is also one of the reasons why Nigerian women stay in abusive marriages rather than leave because they were used to being abused growing up in the name of discipline and has led to low self worth.

You see the circle of abuse and why it took a white woman and family to raise the first black US president!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Richy4(m): 8:52am On Dec 06, 2021
Explorers:

Just look/head down grin

grin grin cheesy
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by BravoEcho(m): 9:38am On Dec 06, 2021
I can relate with almost all the points, it makes me feel nostalgic sha wink wink wink wink.... but it was make a man who he is today, thank God for everything

check my siggy and makes some extra cash
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by MsFaith: 10:02am On Dec 06, 2021
My former neighbour always beats her daughter for every little thing. They are always locked up in their 1 room apartment so there’s no way one can interfere to control the woman or the little girl to at least run away from this emotionally injured mother of hers.

It’s always so painful hearing this girl cry for help when she’s under torture. It’s one of the reasons I packed out of that house. My heart couldn’t take it anymore.

7 Likes

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by MaxiB1242: 10:04am On Dec 06, 2021
I'm a victim of almost all... but that number 58 shall my dad have broke my head with head of belt when i went to watch film in my neighbor house instead of washing plates that he ask of me back then can still vividly remember that.. the old man is gone though..
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by oglalasioux(m): 10:30am On Dec 06, 2021
OP add greeting your mother's imagined and real enemies.

Childhood back then was tough. Children of today are very lucky.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by cayorday89(m): 10:41am On Dec 06, 2021
Balance is key in all things, some are necessary and some are not just it, it made some timid, it made some have an understanding of not doing the same to those coming after them because of the many negative effects it had in them and wouldn't want to pass it on to the next generation, while some outrightly want to revenge and mete out same punishment or forms of discipline on their own children and even children of others, junior colleagues at work, teachers on pupils, seniors on juniors in schools, big brothers and sisters on younger siblings, rich on the poor, employers on employees, leaders on followers, since it's the only way they can get relieved from their built up frustrations over the years from unwarranted sufferings from those above them.

4 Likes

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Explorers(m): 10:46am On Dec 06, 2021
Lalasticlala
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Pinkzebra: 11:37am On Dec 06, 2021
tuzle:

I am not against discipline. I flog my child only that I don't do it unnecessarily neither do I flog for all errors. If I flog for all errors when is the time to admonish and make him sober .
Out parents flogged us too often even for the tiniest error.
I also say allowing kids to do whatever without proper guide is wrong . Have you seen king Richard the movie ? Did you see how actively involve that man was with his kids life ? That's what I'm doing . God keep me alive . I will guide my kids to success . In fact that is my own life purpose to guide these little kids to become responsible and useful for mankind . So I never said parents should stop discipline. For I do not spare my rod but that is not the only parenting weapon

4 Likes

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Pinkzebra: 11:44am On Dec 06, 2021
cayorday89:
Balance is key in all things, some are necessary and some are not just it, it made some timid, it made some have an understanding of not doing the same to those coming after them because of the many negative effects it had in them and wouldn't want to pass it on to the next generation, while some outrightly want to revenge and mete out same punishment or forms of discipline on their own children and even children of others, junior colleagues at work, teachers on pupils, seniors on juniors in schools, big brothers and sisters on younger siblings, rich on the poor, employers on employees, leaders on followers, since it's the only way they can get relieved from their built up frustrations over the years from unwarranted sufferings from those above them.

You get it. This mentality of melting out physical punishment every time a child errs is wrong and is partly responsible for the strong bullying the weak in every sphere of life even at work place and school. We are not patient because we werent thought that humans are bound to err and therefore should be shown patient and understanding. What is wrong in correcting , admonishing rather than just hit that person because he / she is smaller or weaker ? That's why forgiveness is hard to come by even in relationships because we didn't receive much of it while growing up.
I'm not boasting , I don't flog my child too often but he is the sweetest when it comes to attitude. My neighbors are even jealous because they just know that bad habits is not what you expect so much from him . Even his teacher speaks positively about him and how he never lies nor intentionally hurts someone. And he is quick to say I'm sorry .
How many of we adults including me fa, can say I'm sorry without brising our ego ? But we prefer the path of revenge is less of a character.

7 Likes

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by nairaman66(m): 11:54am On Dec 06, 2021
Sent on errands and you loose the money.

Walking past your elder bro on the same footpath.

Waking up too early.

Waking up too late.

Changing tv channels without being asked.

Mumbling while sent on an errand, even if it is the 999th time.

Picking up the telephone (Nitel Lines) when the call is not meant for you.

Missing in a children’s gathering!

Crossing the roads without being asked to!

Those days were fun, until we started making money!! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by nairaman66(m): 12:00pm On Dec 06, 2021
Lastpharoah33:
To be brought up in Nigeria (esp in 80/90's) can be likened to being drilled in a barrack.

The day I came back late from oga minister game shop( when ps2 was the bomb), me that left home for school since morning was coming back around 10pm.

Wetin I see for my mama hand that day ehnn..

My mum was that lady with a strong disciplinary attitude but with a funny side! She’d take me to the game spot and show my face to my friends mum, saying “Don’t let this boy come here again”. I get to chop beatings when back home.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by tuzle(m): 12:49pm On Dec 06, 2021
Pinkzebra:

I am not against discipline. I flog my child only that I don't do it unnecessarily neither do I flog for all errors. If I flog for all errors when is the time to admonish and make him sober .
Out parents flogged us too often even for the tiniest error.
I also say allowing kids to do whatever without proper guide is wrong . Have you seen king Richard the movie ? Did you see how actively involve that man was with his kids life ? That's what I'm doing . God keep me alive . I will guide my kids to success . In fact that is my own life purpose to guide these little kids to become responsible and useful for mankind . So I never said parents should stop discipline. For I do not spare my rod but that is not the only parenting weapon
maybe I misunderstood u, but from what I read I thought u were saying that the child of that generation of flogging are more damaged than the present.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by cayorday89(m): 12:50pm On Dec 06, 2021
Pinkzebra:

You get it. This mentality of melting out physical punishment every time a child errs is wrong and is partly responsible for the strong bullying the weak in every sphere of life even at work place and school. We are not patient because we werent thought that humans are bound to err and therefore should be shown patient and understanding. What is wrong in correcting , admonishing rather than just hit that person because he / she is smaller or weaker ? That's why forgiveness is hard to come by even in relationships because we didn't receive much of it while growing up.
I'm not boasting , I don't flog my child too often but he is the sweetest when it comes to attitude. My neighbors are even jealous because they just know that bad habits is not what you expect so much from him . Even his teacher speaks positively about him and how he never lies nor intentionally hurts someone. And he is quick to say I'm sorry .
How many of we adults including me fa, can say I'm sorry without brising our ego ? But we prefer the path of revenge is less of a character.

Way to go sir, loved that parenting skills of yours and its the best way, and that does not mean you won't flog but the time you will do it even the child will know he or she has passed boundary. Same style I use for children around me and they are always free to share things they would normally not share with their parents.

1 Like

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:38pm On Dec 06, 2021
Pinkzebra:
But we were abused in all of these just because we are kids and we do not have true relationship with our parents .
We felt humiliated, we hated our parents. This unnecessary beating is responsible for the high rate.of dysfunctional adults we have . We carry this burden of guilt and not knowing how to love truly or maintain healthy relationship with people .

Today I discipline my kids and do not beat them for every 'error' I mostly admonish and it works and we have close relationship. We the millennials guide and discipline in understanding while still maintaining good relationship with our kids .

Our parents do not seek to understand they themselves are broken so they try to fix their own brokenness by breaking us even. The cycle continues , but a new breed of parents are cropping up. But we must create a balance for we can break a child when scolding and discipline is absent for "allowing " a child to do whatever all in a bid to show love and understanding is dangerous in itself.

you nailed it

you find that a child is confused in one session of discipline, you get beaten and you cry "its natural to cry awhile or after being beaten and the beating continues now being asked to stop crying that in its form it confuses the poor child

the same, as you are asked what happened etc you start to reply the question ypu asked to shut up, then she asks you a question already you have been told to shut up, you keep quiet you are then asked why are you not answering me

1 Like

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Moreign001(m): 3:13pm On Dec 06, 2021
Explorers:

8. Refusing to eat.

15. Eating too slowly.

16. Eating too quickly.

17. Eating too much.

20. Eating and talking.

50. Greeting/prostrating with only one hand or hands not touching the ground. Ladies going on one knee.

51. Misplacing your pencil, biro, erazer, sharpener or mathematical set in school.

57. Sending you on errands and you forgot what you're asked to buy, or you bought something different, or you broke the egg or poured the grind pepper away on the way.

59. Going to a girl's house to ask after her from her Dad/mum sitting outside in the evening. You've killed her.

Very True.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Nicoddemus(m): 3:13pm On Dec 06, 2021
I posted this on nairaland last week no one even commented not to talk of moving it to ftp. Life no balance

1 Like

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Sheriman(m): 3:14pm On Dec 06, 2021
Explorers:
A lady was correcting a her daughter(5-6years) and the girl was like 'sssshhhh' to her mum, meaning keep quiet.

My neighbors kids goes to school with atleast 5 pencils weekly.

That age, you need to show my dad your pencil/biro everyday. Failure to do so, you lie down on the centre table.

When i was in secondary school, moving to higher class, my dad will you give text books previously used by elder bro/sis. He will just tipex the First&Middle name, leaving the surname.

He's going to document all the textbooks given to you, so that when you're promoted to another class, you will also handover the textbooks you used for that session back to him. He will be ticking.

Also you will be given a pack of 60leaves note books + 5pens.

When you need another notebook or pen, you must show the exhausted ones.
My brother, hmmmm just like my own father too but na dat time be that ooo. Person no fit try all these to children of nowadays na stingy papa dem go called person
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by ovieigho(m): 3:15pm On Dec 06, 2021
Explorers:

8. Refusing to eat.

15. Eating too slowly.

16. Eating too quickly.

17. Eating too much.

20. Eating and talking.

In all of these , that generation still breed the likes ok
Mc oluomo, Tinubu, kabaka, Zaria etc

Continue to blow lie give the younger generations ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photos Of A Man's Dirty House Got Twitter Users Arguing / Mother & Daughter Born On Same Month & Date Celebrate Birthday (Photos) / 10 Habits You Must Quit To Be Happy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.