Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,455 members, 7,823,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons (39005 Views)

Children Of Today Don't Even Know That In Our Days You Could Be Beaten / 4 Children Of Same Parents Who Died Same Day Buried In Abia (Pictures) / Why Children Of Strict Parents Turn Out To Be Worse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Akanoaaa(m): 3:59pm On Dec 06, 2021
I will treat my children same way I was treated when growing up. "Love and discipline".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Mikeeytools: 4:00pm On Dec 06, 2021
Explorers:
A lady was correcting a her daughter(5-6years) and the girl was like 'sssshhhh' to her mum, meaning keep quiet.

My neighbors kids goes to school with atleast 5 pencils weekly.

That age, you need to show my dad your pencil/biro everyday. Failure to do so, you lie down on the centre table.that made you the intelligent folk you are today.

When i was in secondary school, moving to higher class, my dad will you give text books previously used by elder bro/sis. He will just tipex the First&Middle name, leaving the surname.

He's going to document all the textbooks given to you, so that when you're promoted to another class, you will also handover the textbooks you used for that session back to him. He will be ticking.

Also you will be given a pack of 60leaves note books + 5pens.

When you need another notebook or pen, you must show the exhausted ones.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Simeonjoe1: 4:01pm On Dec 06, 2021
Majesty33:
Africa is gradually loosing her cultural values that were left behind by her ancestors due to the emergence of social media and our brothers in diaspora have brought western values and it has brough us shame, pain and catastrophe. The discipline inflicted in children of nowadays is very minimal. Society should expect more of what happened at Bowen college Lekki. And again, never blame North Korea for placing a strong restriction on South Korean cultures cos our embrace of western values brought this catastrophe upon us. Shalom my brethren.

I tell you my brother. Reason I want all of us to be advocate for boko haram. I wonder why people castigated them since they're all fighting to preserve our culture, undiluted from western influences. It's time you pick up arms and fight for the jihad. Say no to western education, no to western technology and religions.

4 Likes

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Mckandre(m): 4:02pm On Dec 06, 2021
Make i add mine : grin

Writing a class work without a date.

Writing on a new exercise book without skipping a page.

Chewing eraser off an HB pencil or biting on pen cap.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Ameboperoo(m): 4:03pm On Dec 06, 2021
zabuur:
U didn't add, father getting home and you are met in the living room.

And being asked a question you're supposed to know and u don't know it.

When NTA shows a smart kid and ur father is comparing the child to you and just feels like making u as smart as the child at that instant by beating you

Another thing was, there was always one uncle in the street that was dedicated to beating stubborn children in the area.
Hey, go and call Kola for me, and when u hear Bro Kola is coming, u start peeing on your body. And no matter how badly you were beaten, its just to eat, bath and sleep. Small children no dey fall sick or die from any form of beating then
It's like you're from my village o. Coincidentally, his name was Kola.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Nwaajasa: 4:10pm On Dec 06, 2021
You went to play football and Coming back late after 6pm without bundle of firewood on your head
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by ImoleNaija: 4:15pm On Dec 06, 2021
Explorers:
He's going to document all the textbooks given to you, so that when you're promoted to another class, you will also handover the textbooks you used for that session back to him. He will be ticking.

Unlike now that schools force even poor parents to get another textbooks for the younger ones.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Emiratechef: 4:21pm On Dec 06, 2021
azraeljaheel:
Chop beating when you drink water before eating

chop beating when you drink water during your meal session

chop beating when you drink too much water after eating then throw up

I SWEAR DOWN
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Majesty33(m): 4:25pm On Dec 06, 2021
Simeonjoe1:

I tell you my brother. Reason I want all of us to be advocate for boko haram. I wonder why people castigated them since they're all fighting to preserve our culture, undiluted from western influences. It's time you pick up arms and fight for the jihad. Say no to western education, no to western technology and religions.
My brother, alot have gone very very bad. If boko haram werent claiming human lives, i would say, they fighting a good course.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by bonnyhope: 4:30pm On Dec 06, 2021
Explorers:
1. Crying too long after being beaten.

2. Not crying after being beaten.

3. Crying without being beaten.

4. Standing where elders are sitting.

5. Sitting while elders are standing.

6. Walking around aimlessly where elders are seated.

7. Eating food prepared for visitors.

8. Refusing to eat.

9. Coming back home after sunset.

10. Eating at the neighbour's home.

11. Generally being too moody.

12. Generally being too excited.

13. Losing a fight with older age mate.

14. Winning a fight with your age mate.

15. Eating too slowly.

16. Eating too quickly.

17. Eating too much.

18. Not finishing your food.

19. Finishing your food and Scraping your plate.

20. Eating and talking.

21. Eating your meat before finishing the food.

22. Dropping oil on your clothes while eating.

23. When you eat your launch before 2:00pm.

24. Sleeping while the elders in the house have already woken up.

25. Dragging your feet while walking.

26. Stumbling and falling while walking

27. Looking at the visitors while they are eating.

28. Looking at an elder eye ball to eye ball.

29. When an elder is talking to you and you blink.

30. When an elder is talking to you and you stare and not blink.

31. When you look at an elder through the corner of your eye.

32. When your mates are playing street football and you join them.

33. When your mates are playing and you don’t join them.

34. When you don't wash your dish after eating.

35. When you wash your dish improperly.

36. When you almost break your dish.

37. When you break your dish.

38. When you bite your nails.

39. When you don't bathe.

40. When you bathe too quickly.

41. When you take too long to bathe.

42. When you take too much toothpaste on your brush.

43. When you’re beaten in school for misbehaving.

44. When a car almost knocks you down.

45. When a car knocks you down and you don’t die.

46. For not answering when spoken to.

47. For answering back when spoken to.

48. Beaten for going to Church or Mosque late.

49. Beaten for borrowing shoe/wears from friends.

50. Greeting/prostrating with only one hand or hands not touching the ground. Ladies going on one knee.

51. Misplacing your pencil, biro, erazer, sharpener or mathematical set in school.

52. Misplacing your Songs of Praise(SOP).

53. Misplacing your Brighter Grammer.

54. Writing on your textbook or coming home with torn textbooks or notebooks.

55. Coming back home with dirty, rough uniform/socks and damaged sandals.

56. Sending you on errands and you stay too long.

57. Sending you on errands and you forgot what you're asked to buy, or you bought something different, or you broke the egg or poured the grind pepper away on the way.

58. Going to neighbors room&parlour to watch TV.

59. Going to a girl's house to ask after her from her Dad/mum sitting outside in the evening. You've killed her.

60. Sleeping in the Living room.

Ha..Ha....Ha

Interesting topic
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by omoharry(f): 4:31pm On Dec 06, 2021
Pinkzebra:
But we were abused in all of these just because we are kids and we do not have true relationship with our parents .
We felt humiliated, we hated our parents. This unnecessary beating is responsible for the high rate.of dysfunctional adults we have . We carry this burden of guilt and not knowing how to love truly or maintain healthy relationship with people .

Today I discipline my kids and do not beat them for every 'error' I mostly admonish and it works and we have close relationship. We the millennials guide and discipline in understanding while still maintaining good relationship with our kids .

Our parents do not seek to understand they themselves are broken so they try to fix their own brokenness by breaking us even. The cycle continues , but a new breed of parents are cropping up. But we must create a balance for we can break a child when scolding and discipline is absent for "allowing " a child to do whatever all in a bid to show love and understanding is dangerous in itself.
you are right .
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by armyofone(m): 4:32pm On Dec 06, 2021
Number 45 is hilarious

grin
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by HimName: 4:32pm On Dec 06, 2021
When you greet elders without saying Sir/Ma.

Oh! War has been declared upon thy self.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Niwdog(m): 4:37pm On Dec 06, 2021
The worst of it all is not adding brother or aunty to a person older than you with two years
This days a child of 5years will be calling a person way older by his or her name
Chaii
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by donhils: 4:39pm On Dec 06, 2021
When they beat you for all these things, that means you'll be chopping beating every 2 hrs of the day, that means at least 350 beatings a month
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by King44(m): 4:40pm On Dec 06, 2021
Explorers:
A lady was correcting a her daughter(5-6years) and the girl was like 'sssshhhh' to her mum, meaning keep quiet.

That age, you need to show my dad your pencil/biro everyday. Failure to do so, you lie down on the centre table.

When i was in secondary school, moving to higher class, my dad will you give text books previously used by elder bro/sis. He will just tipex the First&Middle name, leaving the surname.

Discipline
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Burgerlomo: 4:43pm On Dec 06, 2021
cool

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by King44(m): 4:45pm On Dec 06, 2021
viyon02:
Back in those days when discipline and smartness is the key words to success, and not thuggery and immorality we celebrate today.
Check the generation of those that we're brought up that way of discipline a large percentage of them are doing well in life especially those who got educated.

These days they call it child abuse.

Although, some of that discipline was not necessary somehow it has shaped a lot of people's character to be who they are today

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Edusouls(m): 4:45pm On Dec 06, 2021
Hahahaha that was when the last Good generation of kids were raised, 80s and 90s.

1 Like

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by viyon02: 4:46pm On Dec 06, 2021
Simeonjoe1:

And where are those kids now?
Are they not the same corrupt politicians in power?
Not really, they are those tough and strict uncles and Aunties you still have around today. The bad one among them joint politics and compromised thier standards the result is what we have today.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Simeonjoe1: 4:48pm On Dec 06, 2021
Majesty33:
My brother, alot have gone very very bad. If boko haram werent claiming human lives, i would say, they fighting a good course.

Well if you're aware with our culture, then you should know the king have a right to anybody life either you like it or not. Opposition to the king can cost you your life and that of your family. Boko haram are not killing any kind of people they are killing those who opposed them - Nigerians.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by viyon02: 4:53pm On Dec 06, 2021
King44:
Check the generation of those that we're brought up that way of discipline a large percentage of them are doing well in life especially those who got educated.

These days they call it child abuse.

Although, some of that discipline was not necessary somehow it has shaped a lot of people's character to be who they are today
you got the point, even the white envy some our cultures and discipline back then, but they term it as child abuse. But thank God my mother brought me up well, it has save my life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Lightway: 4:54pm On Dec 06, 2021
viyon02:
Back in those days when discipline and smartness is the key words to success, and not thuggery and immorality we celebrate today.

It was the same days where cultism was the order of the day
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by Ibkinter(m): 4:57pm On Dec 06, 2021
Explorers:
1. Crying too long after being beaten.

2. Not crying after being beaten.

3. Crying without being beaten.

4. Standing where elders are sitting.

5. Sitting while elders are standing.

6. Walking around aimlessly where elders are seated.

7. Eating food prepared for visitors.

8. Refusing to eat.

9. Coming back home after sunset.

10. Eating at the neighbour's home.

11. Generally being too moody.

12. Generally being too excited.

13. Losing a fight with older age mate.

14. Winning a fight with your age mate.

15. Eating too slowly.

16. Eating too quickly.

17. Eating too much.

18. Not finishing your food.

19. Finishing your food and Scraping your plate.

20. Eating and talking.

21. Eating your meat before finishing the food.

22. Dropping oil on your clothes while eating.

23. When you eat your launch before 2:00pm.

24. Sleeping while the elders in the house have already woken up.

25. Dragging your feet while walking.

26. Stumbling and falling while walking

27. Looking at the visitors while they are eating.

28. Looking at an elder eye ball to eye ball.

29. When an elder is talking to you and you blink.

30. When an elder is talking to you and you stare and not blink.

31. When you look at an elder through the corner of your eye.

32. When your mates are playing street football and you join them.

33. When your mates are playing and you don’t join them.

34. When you don't wash your dish after eating.

35. When you wash your dish improperly.

36. When you almost break your dish.

37. When you break your dish.

38. When you bite your nails.

39. When you don't bathe.

40. When you bathe too quickly.

41. When you take too long to bathe.

42. When you take too much toothpaste on your brush.

43. When you’re beaten in school for misbehaving.

44. When a car almost knocks you down.

45. When a car knocks you down and you don’t die.

46. For not answering when spoken to.

47. For answering back when spoken to.

48. Beaten for going to Church or Mosque late.

49. Beaten for borrowing shoe/wears from friends.

50. Greeting/prostrating with only one hand or hands not touching the ground. Ladies going on one knee.

51. Misplacing your pencil, biro, erazer, sharpener or mathematical set in school.

52. Misplacing your Songs of Praise(SOP).

53. Misplacing your Brighter Grammer.

54. Writing on your textbook or coming home with torn textbooks or notebooks.

55. Coming back home with dirty, rough uniform/socks and damaged sandals.

56. Sending you on errands and you stay too long.

57. Sending you on errands and you forgot what you're asked to buy, or you bought something different, or you broke the egg or poured the grind pepper away on the way.

58. Going to neighbors room&parlour to watch TV.

59. Going to a girl's house to ask after her from her Dad/mum sitting outside in the evening. You've killed her.

60. Sleeping in the Living room.
Simply put, they beat you for being alive
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by King44(m): 4:57pm On Dec 06, 2021
viyon02:
you got the point, even the white envy some our cultures and discipline back then, but they term it as child abuse. But thank God my mother brought me up well, it has save my life.
As for me, it's certain that I would use the rod when needed and implore the modern style when needed a bit of both won't kill. My siblings that were brought up that way are doing great and I am also on track although it's not easy if I were handled with kids' gloves then by now I now my case would have been worse. The discipline helps a lot.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by viyon02: 4:59pm On Dec 06, 2021
Lightway:

It was the same days where cultism was the order of the day
not what we have today.
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by ps3o(m): 4:59pm On Dec 06, 2021
This is what ethical discipline used to be.

Explorers:

That age, you need to show my dad your pencil/biro everyday. Failure to do so, you lie down on the centre table.

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by TVTKOKO(m): 5:00pm On Dec 06, 2021
You see that number 32, God knows i might have been a very good professional footballer by now... If you dare kick a stone back then in the name of playing football, you're in hell!

I really don't think that's the best way to train up your kids.. Parents back then were too harsh! Even with all the harshness, those children that are tyrants, are still tyrants! the beating changes nothing!

Parents back then(black parents precisely) thought they were training their children but they're instead breeding hardened kids angry angry angry
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by TVTKOKO(m): 5:03pm On Dec 06, 2021
Ekpekus:

Na wetin put the world for where e dey so .
that's a big lie! The kids back then are the grown ups of today, causing all manner of havocs!
So what happened to all those so-called discipline??
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by jayice(m): 5:04pm On Dec 06, 2021
Sweet bitter memories �
Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by viyon02: 5:05pm On Dec 06, 2021
King44:
As for me, it's certain that I would use the rod when needed and implore the modern style when needed a bit of both won't kill. My siblings that were brought up that way are doing great and I am also on track although it's not easy if I were handled with kids' gloves then by now I now my case would have been worse. The discipline helps a lot.
Bro. No genuine success without discipline and smartness, keep it up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons by TVTKOKO(m): 5:07pm On Dec 06, 2021
realestate99:
I once asked myself, with all the iron hand we were tortured with during our child hood, how come we have a dysfunctional society?

Beating does not instill discipline on its own, it has to be aided by other methods, when you beat a kid for every inadequacies, he gets used to it and sometimes he will intentional err if he knows the enjoyment he will get from the punishable act is greater than the punishment itself.

There was a day I ran away from house. I forgot to do the assignments my dad gave me before he went out in the morning, I went out to play street football for almost 6 hours, I was exhausted, my battery was on red, I wanted to rush the assignment when my dad came, he asked for the answers but I was stuttering.

He was unleashing his belt from his trouser's belt hole , I was afraid that day because my body can't take any beating that moment, then suddenly he told me to go outside and bring a big stone so that I can carry it as punishment after I will get my beating.

when I reached outside, a divine thought came to my mind, flee!!! your body can't take the impending punishment. And truthfully I might not survive the beating that day, I dropped the stone and ran , I stopped after I reached another neighborhood, I was there till 8pm, then I remember the rampant cases of kidnappers, I decided to trek back home . When I was some metres to my house , the neighbors were already looking for me, I could hear my mum's cries, I just had to show myself because I couldn't bear to hear her cries any further.

The neighbors were happy I came back, an elderly man told my father not to beat me again that night, one neighbor even took me in for the night because he saw the anger brewing on my dad's face.

After 23 years, I told my dad that if I had been punished that day, He might not have someone to call his only son.........we both laughed over it.
God bless you! Most of the beatings back then, were highly irrelevant and irresponsible sorry to say!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nkechi Opara Missing. Please Notify If You See This Missing Lady! / Photos Of A Man's Dirty House Got Twitter Users Arguing / Mother & Daughter Born On Same Month & Date Celebrate Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.