Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,167 members, 7,811,383 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron (9821 Views)

Senate Condemns South-East Sit-At-Home, Asks FG To Extradite Simon Ekpa / Japa: It’ll Hurt Our Economy, MP Condemns Uk’s Ban / El-rufai: Online Petition For EU, UK Travel Ban Nears 25,000 Signatures Target (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by Azeemokoya: 9:02am On Dec 08, 2021
The Nigerian Senate has condemned the travel ban imposed on Nigerian travelers by the United Kingdom over the detection of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus in the country.

During plenary on Tuesday, the Senate called for the urgent reversal of the UK’s decision to add Nigeria to its COVID-19 red list.

Following the consideration of a motion sponsored by Sen. Ike Ekweremadu titled “Need for Government of the United Kingdom to remove Nigeria from its COVID-19 Red List,” the Nigerian Senate said the ban on Nigerian travelers was quite uncalled for

The Senate advised the UK government to be “sensitive to the diplomatic relations between both countries when making decisions that affect Nigerian citizens.”

The Senate also urged the Federal Government to engage the British authorities in reversing Nigeria’s inclusion on the list.

It also called on the President Muhammadu Buhari administration to remain firm in the enforcement of necessary protocols in the containment of every COVID-19 variant in Nigeria.

Coming under Orders 42 and 52 of the Senate Rules, Ekweremadu noted with satisfaction the efforts of the Government of Nigeria in the containment and treatment of COVID-19 cases.

“Nigeria is among the countries with the lowest cases of COVID-19. The decision by the British Government to include Nigeria in its COVID-19 list, with its concomitant implications, will affect many citizens of Nigeria, who had planned to spend their Christmas and New Year holiday with their families.

“The Senate is also worried that Nigerians with genuine needs to visit the U.K within this period will be denied visas and those with visas will not be allowed to enter the U.K.”...
https://newsroundtheclock.com/nigerian-senate-condemns-uk-over-travel-ban/

1 Like

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by Xscape1993(m): 9:03am On Dec 08, 2021
Develop your country like UK too. Always condemning one thing or the other.

102 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by DaddyFabooluz(m): 9:03am On Dec 08, 2021
It is well with Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by Jostoman: 9:10am On Dec 08, 2021
UK Should not mind them o the ban should remain. see the way they are foaming from all sides of their mouth just because the thing is going to affect them and their families but everything that is affecting the common man doesn't concerned them. shocked shocked

115 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by JavaScript90: 9:21am On Dec 08, 2021
The variant came from the west and was imported into Africa. Most covid cases in Nigeria are uk returnees, so I wonder why the UK is banning Nigerians. They have designated south Africa as the origin of the omnicron variant despite the fact that the virus was first reported in some western countries. I might start believing that this virus didn't really originate from China but the west.

Hello, I am a fullstack web developer. I develop all types of website. I major in developing complex custom website and mobile apps for businesses and startups.
I have a nice real estate website for sale specially designed for the Nigerian market and startup agents. Check the link on my signature for details of the website.
Click my username to see my WhatsApp number on my profile

5 Likes

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by Leverage2021: 9:40am On Dec 08, 2021
Their lives demand on uk

It is a thing of shame

4 Likes

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by Karemarealty288(m): 9:42am On Dec 08, 2021
You can condemn but can't do jackshit about that...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by DrChukki: 10:21am On Dec 08, 2021
The next Covid variant should be named after the guy in Aso Rock... cry

8 Likes

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by ironheart(m): 10:21am On Dec 08, 2021
I wish every country ban Nigeria, let all the big men fix our country. We die here together

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by kponkedenge(m): 10:21am On Dec 08, 2021
For those of us that already have our UK visas, can we still travel to Heathrow via Cotonou? Or are we gonna be bounced back?

2 Likes

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by ogododo: 10:22am On Dec 08, 2021
Azeemokoya:

Na here we go dey jollificate Keresimesi. No bagger dey check out. Una do well Canada and UK.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by slawormiir: 10:22am On Dec 08, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright
Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by alfred007(m): 10:22am On Dec 08, 2021
Value. Africa needs to do better. Just imagine that covid-19 started in Africa.

Just imagine that

2 Likes

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by Optimistguy1969: 10:22am On Dec 08, 2021
Na for una selfish interest before.

Make all of una GETAT

8 Likes

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by Donshemzy1234: 10:22am On Dec 08, 2021
Lol
Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by Factfinder1(m): 10:22am On Dec 08, 2021
they are always quick to react when it doesn't favour them

Nigerians are being killed every day and they don't care

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by mainman7(m): 10:23am On Dec 08, 2021
cool

1 Like

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by Mko123(m): 10:23am On Dec 08, 2021
Ok continue
Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by ademasta(m): 10:23am On Dec 08, 2021
undecided

If this was a decision centered on only the poor the government will turn deaf ears as usual.

Now, see the counter energy.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by ajepako(f): 10:24am On Dec 08, 2021
They condemn because it affects them directly..

Not because of other Nigerian travellers..

Awon Olofo!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by frankson1(m): 10:25am On Dec 08, 2021
Xscape1993:
Develop your country like UK too. Always condemning one thing or the other.

They're only condemning because it's gonna affect all of them otherwise, it wouldn't have been their concern. SHAME ON THEM.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by Crusadee: 10:25am On Dec 08, 2021
angry
Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by Nobody: 10:25am On Dec 08, 2021
No Christmas holiday for them.Is that how other country nationals come to Nigeria to spend their holidays?

14 Likes

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by funshow21: 10:25am On Dec 08, 2021
it is well

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by ObiaboAdoka(m): 10:26am On Dec 08, 2021
They condemned it not because of d common man but der selfish interest. No UK Xmas vacation for dem dis season.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by BlackfireX: 10:26am On Dec 08, 2021
The ban is good ... atleast those igbos and yorubas will stay in Nigeria instead of running to UK

2 Likes

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by charles614: 10:27am On Dec 08, 2021
Oga senators this coming Xmas we are going to celebrate it together here in Nigeria.

18 Likes

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by streetsoldier1(m): 10:29am On Dec 08, 2021
Azeemokoya:

when una dey infate figures dey do notice me, una no know say e go earn una something

2 Likes

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by AfroKnight: 10:29am On Dec 08, 2021
Are they affected by the ban? Maybe their families though. Those who haven’t purchased a second nationality.
Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by Aaron12(m): 10:30am On Dec 08, 2021
This reps should respect themselves. Infact i like the uk ban every europe country should place nigeria on red list.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron by talk2hb1(m): 10:30am On Dec 08, 2021
Seriously!
What are they gonna do about it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking: Boko Haram Seize Mubi In Adamawa, Sack Army HQ / The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. / Fayose: Nigerians Want Solutions, Not Buhari’s Meetings With Political Wanderers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.