Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,063 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools (13260 Views)

Share Your Experience With Bullying In School / Deny Entry To Students Accused Of Bullying Sylvester Oromoni - NANS To Embassies / 7 Things All Parents Should Know Before Enrolling A Child In Nigerian Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 08, 2021
chatinent:

True.

But these days, it is mostly intertwined with bullying and cultism.

It is sad that cultism is now a part of our learning system.

I think there should be laws against cultism in our secondary schools.

Anyway,Most guys will only have power to bully others when they are with their clicks or cult

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by BruncleZuma: 1:47pm On Dec 08, 2021
There should be as a starter, a ban on seniority as a concept in schools and then work their way up from there.

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by KiNg0G: 1:48pm On Dec 08, 2021
Seun:
In the wake of the brutal beating of Sylvester Oromoni in the hands of his fellow students, which led to his death, I think we need to advocate for a complete ban on the despicable culture of bullying prevalent in Nigerian primary and secondary schools and boarding houses that contributed to his death.

The Federal Ministry of Education should immediately introduce a regulation banning students in primary or secondary schools (including school prefects) from beating or punishing other students in any way or for any reason, or forcing them to run errands. Students should only be punished or sent on errands by school staff, who are old enough to bear the full legal consequences of their actions.

Parents don't send their kids to school to be used as slaves, and brutally punished by other students. They send them there to be educated. Bullying and being bullied are distractions which should no longer be tolerated in this country. Any student that tries it must face suspension. Any school that permits it should have to pay a hefty fine that is proportional to the school's revenue.

We have been crying about justice for Sylvester Oromoni for many days now, and rightly so, but justice in one case won't stop other incidents from happening. We need to tackle the root cause which is the culture of exploitation and victimization of junior/weaker students by senior/stronger students. Let's quickly ban it at this crucial time when everyone is disgusted by bullying, bullies, and schools that enable them.

the bullying on nairaland nko

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by Nwaotu10(m): 1:48pm On Dec 08, 2021
It's not obtainable boss
Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by saintmm(m): 1:48pm On Dec 08, 2021
Let there be paperwork incriminating bullying, let it be accented to by school owners and heads, state all the punitive measures from perpetrators to negligence of duty on staffs and you will see how gradually this thing will fade out.
You can't totally predict an outcome of an event until it happens. Let there be ban first and let's see how it goes.

It's this same attitude that makes Nigeria become like this. Every one wants to hold political power so as to bully the members of the society. Government bullying citizens, boss at work bullying the junior staffs... Then, how do you expect us to grow as a society?

I rise

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by EdoFirstBorn(m): 1:49pm On Dec 08, 2021
Seun:
Students should not be disciplining other students. That is not their job. Their job is to face their studies.

Ever heard of peer pressure ? Communal influence?

Let's say for the sake of it that kids are not allowed to discipline other kids in this case let us use discipline by other peers as intended which is basically admonition, reporting and assigning chores not the physical abuse found where things go wrong.

Let's say only staff are allowed to regulate or report offenders in a school where in lies the room for behavior modification? Where the child isn't given an opportunity to learn from it's peers or see its peers as a form of authority though temporarily and mind you this forms the foundation of role differential in the minds of kids at an early stage ... How then do you realistically regulate ward behavior in these understaffed institutions with over worked personnel?

What better ways to start to teach responsibility a d leadership to kids than allowing them regulate their pairs while holding themselves to a higher standard

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by Kokaine(m): 1:50pm On Dec 08, 2021
The stories I hear from my colleagues who attended NMS in Zaria is quite an outstanding case on the scale of bully.

The bullies in secondary schools shelter behind the walls of their legal irresponsibility in the eyes of the law maybe

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by tillaman(m): 1:57pm On Dec 08, 2021
Seun:
Students should not be allowed to discipline or demand respect from other students. That is not their job. Their job is to face their studies.

If a student needs to be disciplined, the adult staff of the school who are older, wiser, and have been trained on what to do should be the ones to do it. No exceptions.
apt!!
No to bully

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 08, 2021
Seun:
Students should not be allowed to discipline or demand respect from other students. That is not their job. Their job is to face their studies. If a student needs to be disciplined, the adult staff of the school who are older, wiser, and have been trained on what to do should be the ones to do it. No exceptions.

Education isn't only about studies but also about learning positive behaviors, obeying school rules and regulations

Schools are also there to promote positive behavior and one of the positive behavior is respect for others and also authority. Authorities can be seniors, teachers and staff members.

It is not a crime if a junior student is punished by a senior student for breaking school rules and regulations as long as it is not through aggression or violence.

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 08, 2021
Supported

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by ritzyvic1(m): 2:06pm On Dec 08, 2021
EdoFirstBorn:
This isn't realistic.. Nigeria isn't a communist society. Just like saying a total ban on fighting or beating up people. Humans are always going to be social creatures with a natural survival instinct hence the need to dominate and conquer is ingrained and genetic in us.

Laws against things like assault helps but show me one society where such laws has stopped people from beating each other up.

India
It's called anti-ragging law and it's well enforced
https://indianlawwatch.com/practice/anti-ragging-laws-in-india/
Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by chatinent: 2:08pm On Dec 08, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

It is sad that cultism is now a part of our learning system.

I think there should be laws against cultism in our secondary schools.

Anyway,Most guys will only have power to bully others when they are with their clicks or cult

Gbamsolutely
Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by Ayo081(m): 2:09pm On Dec 08, 2021
Seun:
Students should not be allowed to discipline or demand respect from other students. That is not their job. Their job is to face their studies.

If a student needs to be disciplined, the adult staff of the school who are older, wiser, and have been trained on what to do should be the ones to do it. No exceptions.
Absolutely! Students should always engage their teachers or advisers (if any) and not handle issues that should be handled by the appropriate authority.

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by tarantino1: 2:11pm On Dec 08, 2021
I attended a Federal Government College and the bullying was rampant.

My cousin just graduated SS3 as I was entering SS1. He was the head of the house and based on the story I heard, he was an extremely wicked one.

Unfortunately for me, na the same house there carry me put. The student that he bullied the most (my cousin gave him toilet duty for the whole term because the student refused to give him N200) became the new head of house. grin grin . He be like Nigerian film.

All the students my cousin bully anyhow too also wan begin dey threaten me.

I just had to play chess with the whole thing by picking a rugged dude as my school father. The fear of the guy made the rest gimme chance.

Even when the seniors dey plan give group punishment, the guy dey always let me know beforehand and all that but I still collect once in a while sha

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by rastaraj: 2:12pm On Dec 08, 2021
Rada rada! was it legalise before and the issue has always been rampant,its until when cases gain publcity they tend to react
Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by Johel(m): 2:14pm On Dec 08, 2021
Seun:
In the wake of the brutal beating of Sylvester Oromoni in the hands of his fellow students, which led to his death, I think we need to advocate for a complete ban on the despicable culture of bullying prevalent in Nigerian primary and secondary schools and boarding houses that contributed to his death.

The Federal Ministry of Education should immediately introduce a regulation banning students in primary or secondary schools (including school prefects) from beating or punishing other students in any way or for any reason, or forcing them to run errands. Students should only be punished or sent on errands by school staff, who are old enough to bear the full legal consequences of their actions.

Parents don't send their kids to school to be used as slaves, and brutally punished by other students. They send them there to be educated. Bullying and being bullied are distractions which should no longer be tolerated in this country. Any student that tries it must face suspension. Any school that permits it should have to pay a hefty fine that is proportional to the school's revenue.

We have been crying about justice for Sylvester Oromoni for many days now, and rightly so, but justice in one case won't stop other incidents from happening. We need to tackle the root cause which is the culture of exploitation and victimization of junior/weaker students by senior/stronger students. Let's quickly ban it at this crucial time when everyone is disgusted by bullying, bullies, and schools that enable them.

Humans remains God's most foolish creation and God's biggest mistake...we only create what kills us,we can't think straight until there's danger or disaster before we start doing the right thing.....there's been bully for many years,nobody addressed it till it went out of hand...humans and hypocrisy are like 5&6.
Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by FunmyKemmy(f): 2:49pm On Dec 08, 2021
Bullying should be reduced to barest minimum.

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by Parrot69: 2:55pm On Dec 08, 2021
I was a victim of school bully. Wetin my eye see, no be small tin (seminary school for that matter o)

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by DrFunmisticGlow: 3:00pm On Dec 08, 2021
SportsHD:
They can make a press statement, saying that bullying is not allowed and all but, can it be enforced?
It can.

If the teachers and principals enforce it.

My secondary school had a no bullying policy under our principal then. If you as a junior reported a senior for bullying. He would be flogged infront of the whole assembly. Another report would mean suspension, a 3rd count meant expulsion.

Bullying became non existent because our principal then was an approachable man. When he left, it started to rise again. But I can say with pride that I never bullied a junior student.

Mr Nuhu hassan. I heard last from you in the UK, Wherever you are sir, God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by DrFunmisticGlow: 3:02pm On Dec 08, 2021
Seun:

exactly.
Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by JBoss25(m): 3:23pm On Dec 08, 2021
Seun:

Why is it now you guys are waking up, so someone had to die first?
Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by Limassol(m): 3:31pm On Dec 08, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Schools are also there to promote positive behavior and one of the positive behavior is respect for others and also authority. Authorities can be seniors, teachers and staff members.

It is not a crime if a junior student is punished by a senior student for breaking school rules and regulations as long as it is not through aggression or violence.

I strongly disagree with such assertion, seniors shouldn't be given to the authority to discipline juniors(regardles of whether aggressive or not), infact, corporal punishment as a whole is ineffective and has long-term effects. however, i belive there are far better ways to discipline an erring pupil in a safe and reasonable manner, corporal punishment is not. That said, the point op raised is unrealistic and borderline impossible, as many have explained , it's not something that can easily be banned, due to many factors.

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by Limassol(m): 3:38pm On Dec 08, 2021
ritzyvic1:

India
It's called anti-ragging law and it's well enforced
https://indianlawwatch.com/practice/anti-ragging-laws-in-india/
how about at homes, streets and stores? that is the point you seem to missed. You can't ban bullying! you can address it in someway but utter banning is out of anyones power not even the goverment. show me a Nigerian child that has never been bulied one way or another, none. Can Laws help to reduce incidents? of course! how about a complete ban? thats whishful thinking mate.
Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by xynerise: 3:39pm On Dec 08, 2021
Asking for the impossible. Even employers bully their employees
Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by tonquendo4u(m): 4:13pm On Dec 08, 2021
Seun:
If a child is bullied in the sense that I have described e.g. if he is beaten by a senior or asked to kneel down or forced to run errand for seniors, then he can report to school officials. If they don't punish the perpetrator than he can tell his parents. The education ministry should set up an anti-bullying hotline that parents can call. If the education ministry does nothing then they can come to Nairaland and report it, and we will make noise until the perpetrator is suspended. This ban won't totally eliminate bullying but it will reduce it drastically. It will help many students.
Shey after reporting them, will u be in the same class with the authorities or still the same students? Lol. Baba, bully na normal thing in life. Bullying also shapes u. Though not to the extent of this last one. U all should stop calling it bully. That one na criminal. Criminals on rampage and we call it bully
Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by Seun(m): 4:28pm On Dec 08, 2021
DrFunmisticGlow:

My secondary school had a no bullying policy under our principal then. If you as a junior reported a senior for bullying. He would be flogged infront of the whole assembly. Another report would mean suspension, a 3rd count meant expulsion.

Bullying became non existent because our principal then was an approachable man. When he left, it started to rise again.

Mr Nuhu hassan. I heard last from you in the UK, Wherever you are sir, God bless you.
I love this story. The problem is that most principals in Nigeria are not like Mr. Nuhu Hassan. Most schools will not be motivated to end bullying unless an external force compels them. That's why the ministry of education must enforce the prohibition of bullying, the suspension and expulsion of culprits, and the fining and possible closure of schools that continue to allow it.

JBoss25:
Why is it now you guys are waking up, so someone had to die first?
That is life. Most safety regulations are a direct response to disasters that they could have prevented. We need to use the rare opportunity created by the disaster of Sylvester's death to change things.

8 Likes

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by Psoul(m): 4:29pm On Dec 08, 2021
Seun:

Bullying is not particular in Nigerian school.
Bullying is a worldwide thing.
Listen to bullying stories from Western School and you will see that Nigerians are learners.
So don't make this story look like it's only in Nigerian schools that you will find bullies.

1 Like

Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by TheWolfen(m): 4:34pm On Dec 08, 2021
Well said
Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by TheGift: 4:40pm On Dec 08, 2021
Bullying has always been banned, that’s why they don’t do it where school authorities can see.

What we need is for the Ministry of Education to enforce anti-bullying policies and reporting systems in schools. Also tougher sanctions on bullying that could extend to the parents of the bullies.
Re: Total Ban Of Bullying In Nigerian Schools by JackBizzle: 4:47pm On Dec 08, 2021
Seun:

While this is a good sentiment, this is also a fantasy.

There will always be bullies and unfortunately, many schools' management are incompetent. They are in it for the money from boarding house fees and not the well-being of the children.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can I Use My Last Year Jamb Profile Code For This Year? / See What A Teacher Was Caught Doing To His Student After An Exams (photo) / 2016/2017 Jamb Utme, Post Utme And Admission Process Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.