Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:44 AM

Why Do Dominicans Deny They Are Black? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Dominicans Deny They Are Black? (719 Views)

Nigerian Man Deny Flight To Mecca After Paying N2.4million, Perform Hajj In Kano / Why Igbos Outside The Southeast Deny Their Igboness / Are Black People Socially Conditioned To Hate Themselves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Dominicans Deny They Are Black? by Samishiba: 5:09pm On Dec 08, 2021
Dominicans declare themselves mestizos or índios but are clearly black. Why do Dominicans deny they are black? Genetically Dominicans have 40-50% of African Ancestry. Many of them are more African than African Americans. If you see pictures of Dominicans students majority of them are black, interview with dominican population the population are majority black, walked vídeos in Dominican Republic the majority of population are black.
Dominican Republic school population in all pictures the population is majority black

Re: Why Do Dominicans Deny They Are Black? by expertman(m): 5:20pm On Dec 08, 2021
Are u presently in Dominican republic OP?
Re: Why Do Dominicans Deny They Are Black? by vastolord4(m): 5:59pm On Dec 08, 2021
Are u related to one or have u seen ur look alike?
Re: Why Do Dominicans Deny They Are Black? by Wulfruna(f): 7:14pm On Dec 08, 2021
The question to ask here is: Why should mixed-race people identify as Black if they are made of other races aside from Black? Most Dominicans are of Black, White and Native American descent. Why should they single out black out of the mix as their racial identity?

Don't forget that this idea that anything mixed with black is black is a very American idea (the one-drop rule), and by American I mean the US. Latin America (including Dominica) has a different understanding of race. I see no reason why an American idea should be binding on people who come from places with different racial categorizations. Most Dominicans don't perceive themselves as black until they come to the States, and I perfectly understand why many of them fight that categorization, because it's different from the racial structure they have back home.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Dominicans Deny They Are Black? by makahlj2: 8:44am On Dec 09, 2021
Supposedly, it's due to their rivalry with Haitians. So Dominicans say: "Haitians black, we not black". Haitians look blacker than Dominicans, to be honest.
Re: Why Do Dominicans Deny They Are Black? by meobizy(f): 12:06pm On Dec 09, 2021
This troubled my village chief so much that he put forth an investigation into the matter. For the past four days I haven’t eaten because the situation seems strange. Oh well, Nairaland to the rescue.
Re: Why Do Dominicans Deny They Are Black? by BuyMeBanger: 1:12pm On Dec 09, 2021
I think we should really stop looking for others that may be genetically part black due to some admixture to claim black. It's a fact no one of such mixed genetic background wants to solely/or partly claim black and specially of recent quite open about it. Just look at the 'coloured's' in SA who never and still don't claim black but look as black as a lot of African Americans and now they're crying for being overlooked by blacks, r'tards.

I'm so proud of African Americans cause as you previously mentioned they are genetically practically mixed raced with an average of 30% european but they don't claim it even ones I've seen that could easily pass for non-black, this could be because they previously had no choice (one-drop rule) but as the rule is now unenforceable they still chose to claim black, unlike a lot of their counterparts in the rest of the Americas.

Even full blacks want to claim something else, I mean just look at the north of Nigeria, they feel more inclined to claim some sort of Arab nonsense, I mean really
Re: Why Do Dominicans Deny They Are Black? by Sladem05: 9:55am On Apr 27
Samishiba:
Dominicans declare themselves mestizos or índios but are clearly black. Why do Dominicans deny they are black? Genetically Dominicans have 40-50% of African Ancestry. Many of them are more African than African Americans. If you see pictures of Dominicans students majority of them are black, interview with dominican population the population are majority black, walked vídeos in Dominican Republic the majority of population are black.
Dominican Republic school population in all pictures the population is majority black

What a lie

The average DNA of the Dominican founder population is estimated to be 73% European, 10% Native, and 17% African. After the Haitian and Afro-Caribbean migrations the overall percentage changed to 57% European, 8% Native and 35% African.

(1) (Reply)

History Of Lekki / Dog Meat Favourite Source Of Protein In igboland / Expand Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.