Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,036 members, 7,866,919 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 08:08 AM

How To Live In Harmony With Other People - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How To Live In Harmony With Other People (142 Views)

Holy Discontentment - Surrendering The Old Life And Working In Harmony With God / Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? / RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Live In Harmony With Other People by SonofIssachar: 12:59am On Dec 10, 2021
A teacher teaching Maths to a six-year-old asked him, “If I give you one apple and one apple and one apple, how many apples will you have?”

Within a few seconds, the boy replied confidently, “Four!”

The dismayed teacher was expecting an effortless correct answer (three).

She was disappointed. “Maybe he did not listen properly,” she thought.

She repeated, “Please listen carefully. It is very simple. You will be able to do it right if you listen carefully. If I give you one apple and one apple and one apple, how many apples will you have?”

The boy had seen the disappointment on his teacher’s face. He calculated again on his fingers. But within him he was also searching for the answer that will make his teacher happy.

This time, hesitatingly, he replied, “Four…”

The disappointment stayed on the teacher’s face. She remembered that the boy loves strawberries. She thought maybe he doesn’t like apples and that is making him lose focus.

This time, with an exaggerated excitement and twinkling eyes, she asked, “If I give you one strawberry and one strawberry and one strawberry, then how many will you have?”

Seeing the teacher happy, the young boy calculated on his fingers again. There was no pressure on him, but a little on the teacher. She wanted her new approach to succeed.

With a hesitating smile, the young boy replied, “Three?”

The teacher now had a victorious smile. Her approach had succeeded. She wanted to congratulate herself. But one last thing remained.

Once again she asked him, “Now if I give you one apple and one apple and one more apple how many will you have?”

Promptly the answer was “Four!”

The teacher was aghast.

“How….tell me, how?” she demanded in a little stern and irritated voice.

In a voice that was low and hesitating, the young boy replied, “Because I already have one apple in my bag.”

Learn point: When someone gives you an answer that is different from what you are expecting, they are not necessarily wrong. There may be an angle that we may not have understood at all. We need to learn to appreciate and understand different perspectives.

Quite often, we try and impose our perspectives on others and then wonder what went wrong. The next time someone gives you a different perspective than yours, sit down and gently ask, “Can you please help me understand?” That is how to live in harmony with other people with no room for rancour.

— Author Unknown

Meditation: “Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the Lord… – Isaiah 1:18

You will succeed in Jesus Name!

Also read:

The Crosspollination of Life
Rapture! Where Will You Be?
Two Wrongs That Make A Right

(1) (Reply)

Let Us Glorify Our Creator, Savior And Redeemer, The Lord God Almighty - Emoji / Female Preacher Claims She Saw Bishop David Oyedepo In Hell(video) / Seeds Of Destiny Daily Devotional 22 December 2021 -what Have You In The House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.