Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,861 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande (906 Views)

Atiku: Why I Didn’t Pick Tinubu As Running Mate In 2007 / Akande: Buhari Promised To Pick Tinubu As Running Mate In 2015, Then Reneged / 2023 Presidency: Why I Will Pick Tinubu Over Osinbajo - Hon Bosun Oladele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande by Hongbenga(m): 3:00pm On Dec 10, 2021
Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande at his book launch in Lagos

Akande stated that he later came to know that some people constituted themselves into a group, called the Northern Interest Group, and they prevailed on Buhari not to allow a Muslim-Muslim ticket.

According to him, it was the following day after the Elders’ Committee meeting which was deadlocked, that Buhari phoned Tinubu to give him three names from which he would pick a running mate.

“We were all in Abuja and Tinubu rushed to me with this information. He wanted to know whether the understanding we reached with Buhari had changed. I called Buhari and he told me he now needed three names from us. I was angry with him.

‘‘General, this was not what we agreed upon,’ I said in annoyance. ‘You are changing our agreement?’ He knew I was getting angry. He said he was under pressure from some governors from the north, including those who were Muslims. I told him the slot belonged to the South-West and among the Yoruba, religion is not a factor in leadership,” he said.

Akande added: “Oshiomhole was surprised about the narration. ‘If indeed you promised to make Asiwaju your running mate, it would not be fair to renege,’ he said. Buhari now said he never meant it that way. What he meant originally was that Tinubu should partner with him.”

The former Osun governor explained that he didn’t know what that meant because before they discussed the issue of Tinubu as the partner or vice-president’s ticket, a merger had been accomplished and they had already partnered.

“We were registered in July 2013, and he called me to prevail on Tinubu to be his running mate in April 2014. Buhari knew I was upset but we tried to manage the situation. Perhaps he was overwhelmed by all those pressures. We decided to let him go,” Akande said.

—- ThisDayLive

Re: Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande by AlexBells(m): 3:16pm On Dec 10, 2021
Tinubu had been scammed faa, 2023 wonder where they would find Christian worthy running mate for Tinubu, North and perfect cutting to size, where in the constitution did it say Muslims/Muslim Ticket is not allowed, The Yoruba muslims that are even semi infidels sef, Tinubu is even worse than a pagan in the eyes of the North, they don't see no muslim in him, that muslims/muslims tocket hoax is a trick to play Yorubas Muslim into thinking they are worthy muslims, lol.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande by Oksman(m): 3:22pm On Dec 10, 2021
Hongbenga:
Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande at his book launch in Lagos

Akande stated that he later came to know that some people constituted themselves into a group, called the Northern Interest Group, and they prevailed on Buhari not to allow a Muslim-Muslim ticket.

According to him, it was the following day after the Elders’ Committee meeting which was deadlocked, that Buhari phoned Tinubu to give him three names from which he would pick a running mate.

“We were all in Abuja and Tinubu rushed to me with this information. He wanted to know whether the understanding we reached with Buhari had changed. I called Buhari and he told me he now needed three names from us. I was angry with him.

‘‘General, this was not what we agreed upon,’ I said in annoyance. ‘You are changing our agreement?’ He knew I was getting angry. He said he was under pressure from some governors from the north, including those who were Muslims. I told him the slot belonged to the South-West and among the Yoruba, religion is not a factor in leadership,” he said.

Akande added: “Oshiomhole was surprised about the narration. ‘If indeed you promised to make Asiwaju your running mate, it would not be fair to renege,’ he said. Buhari now said he never meant it that way. What he meant originally was that Tinubu should partner with him.”

The former Osun governor explained that he didn’t know what that meant because before they discussed the issue of Tinubu as the partner or vice-president’s ticket, a merger had been accomplished and they had already partnered.

“We were registered in July 2013, and he called me to prevail on Tinubu to be his running mate in April 2014. Buhari knew I was upset but we tried to manage the situation. Perhaps he was overwhelmed by all those pressures. We decided to let him go,” Akande said.

—- ThisDayLive

The first impression is always the correct one. If GMB reneged on a simple agreement as that, how are we sure he will support him? Babangida also made a similar staement that he was under pressure from northern military group not to handover power to MKO. If we are to believe all the craps, then who is sure that the winner would be sworn in if the so called " interest group" decides to annul our collective choice in 2023.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande by itsme01: 3:47pm On Dec 10, 2021
cool

It's common sense , Muslim - Muslim ticket was opposed by the likes of Hell Rufai, Bukola Saraki, even Obasanjo... but atleast Buhari allowed Tinubu to pick his running mate and gave him slots, that was why Buhari later spoke on Obasanjo's 2003 diabolic betrayer of AD Governors

Tinubu knows with Buhari out of the way retiring in 13 months time, no other Politician can give him head ache, and that's why he is running his Northern campaign alone without Buhari

Re: Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande by Karemarealty288(m): 3:57pm On Dec 10, 2021
Game Of The Throne.
Re: Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande by helinues: 3:58pm On Dec 10, 2021
Muslim- Muslim ticket is not Logical.. Forget about the epistle

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande by babasolution: 4:40pm On Dec 10, 2021
Yoruba always taking the submissive position, the Yoruba male is a submissive man,no wonder they are treated like minority despite being majority
Re: Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande by fourboys: 4:47pm On Dec 10, 2021
embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Buhari Did Not Pick Tinubu As Vice President - Pa Bisi Akande by joe54: 5:23pm On Dec 10, 2021
Tinubu might become Nigeria's next President.
The youths seems not ready to change the future of this country.

(1) (Reply)

Ojukwu Should Not Have Been Pardoned By Nigerian Government / MY CANDID ADVICE TO BAT / Unknown Gunmen Are Hired Killers Sent To Destabilize IPOB And Eastern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.