Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,819 members, 7,820,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands (14480 Views)

Harvard Puntin University (temp Room) / Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery / Hurry Up! African Aliance Private Placement Is On: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by olaolabiy: 11:57pm On Jun 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You mean for sovereignty, other countries don't allow the very same companies/investors to lease/purchase for company use?

So, if we invite companies that want to farm our lands, we should never sell them land?

Also, on the post on Canada, can you also include information to show the amount of property sold to foreign investors in the same year.

shocked shocked shocked shocked

How can you sell tracts of land that are rich in natural resources? Do you think we are talking about 10 acres here?

Why are they not heading to China to buy LAND?
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by virgo(f): 11:58pm On Jun 13, 2011
Eish, some people are talking investment. Lol. Investment indeed! You buy land the size of France for peanuts and some Africans scream investment. No wonder they bought able bodied Africans for mirrors during the slave trade. SHAME!!!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kilode1: 11:58pm On Jun 13, 2011
violent:

I think you are a bit wrong here, you assume that these companies are investing in Agriculture to save the US economy once food becomes a scarce commodity- -----WRONG!!!!!!!!!

They invest to make money--simple and pure!. . .they don't give a fúck about America or if America is going to run short of food in the near future.  They are in it simply to make pure absolute returns.

The US economy is fledging, and on the verge of collapse, pension funds have since realized that investing in government bonds might no longer be as safe as they thought it might be, it will also be very dumb to invest in money instruments like t-bills because once the US starts printing out dollars, inflation is likely to wipe out any tangible gains to be made on t-bills.
This therefore mean that Pension funds will have to invest in asset classes that are less susceptible to the fledging US economy, and the only place you can find such asset classes is in Africa, as the African economy is less correlated with the economy of the rest of the world. 

Additionally, agricultural commodities have a long steady pay out rate which is actually a good thing for pension funds in a world where life expectancy has increased and an average person is likely to live longer and thus collect more money as pension.

Food scarcity is actually a good news for those invested in the funds. . . .what else could be?

There is nothing wrong with your analysis, except you are implying that the presence of one factor negates the other. Because investors are trying to acquire land and food resources so they can make money does not imply that they CANNOT or are not doing it for National food Security reasons too. Don't be quick to offer dismissals when your own analysis is supported largely by your own opinion.

My post is supported by the articles presented which includes the analysis of experts in the field. I specifically emphasized the interests of those Arab and South East Asians and not necessarily America so as to stress the issue of Food Security, scarcity population growth and drought as a central reason. It does not mean that profit and monetary gain is not a factor, there is no need for an absolute EITHER/OR analysis.

Read the links already provided and read this one too: http://m.npr.org/news/Politics/136394365

Those are experts speaking not conspiracy theorists. I doubt you know more about the issue than those folks.

So in summary, I'm not saying your idea is WRONG, I carefully worded my point, by starting with "while these companies want to make money"

Try to read more closely and be more patient before you reply, that's all I'm saying. These are serious issues, because you are right does not mean I'm wrong.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by ikeyman00(m): 12:00am On Jun 14, 2011
@@@@@@@@@@@@

let the Uk government try selling mega hectares of land make we see wetin go happen

even moving common romanian refugees close to some borugh no wahala
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by olaolabiy: 12:00am On Jun 14, 2011
virgo:

Eish, some people are talking investment. Lol. Investment indeed! You buy land the size of France for peanuts and some Africans scream investment. No wonder they bought able bodied Africans for mirrors during the slave trade. SHAME!!!

Hahaaaa.

Now, I know why.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 12:05am On Jun 14, 2011
Those are experts speaking not conspiracy theorists. I doubt you know more about the issue than those folks.

and how do you know this? smiley
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by olaolabiy: 12:08am On Jun 14, 2011
People should read this and stop talking as far as this thread is concerned.

In the past, rumours of Chinese companies' interest in acquiring majority stakes in Canadian natural-resource companies have prompted sharp negative reactions. If a potential Chinese buyer were to materialise, public opposition might well lead Stephen Harper, the Conservative prime minister, to disqualify it on national-security grounds, by declaring that potash is a strategic resource that needs to remain in Canadian hands. In 2005, CNOOC, a Chinese company, withdrew its bid for Unocal, an American oil firm, after the United States Congress voted to refer the offer to the president to guarantee it did not pose a threat to national security. Time will tell if Canadians, who pride themselves on being more worldly and open-minded than their southern neighbours, can resist the lure of such selective protectionism.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/americasview/2010/08/bhp_billitons_bid_potash_corp

And, na ordinary company dem dey protect here oo. The US and Canada.

Wake up, guys. Read between the lines oo
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 12:09am On Jun 14, 2011
virgo:

LMAO!!!

do you know exactly how much was paid?
how much will be paid in subsequent years?
was it an outright sale or a lease?
what the size of the land is?
the conditions of the land?

For instance, if i buy a land in an area for 3 million, chances are i might have to spend an additional 15 million in ensuring that the land is fit for use. . .you should learn not to be too brash without knowing exactly what is involved in the deal
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by olaolabiy: 12:12am On Jun 14, 2011
violent:

LMAO!!!

do you know exactly how much was paid?
how much will be paid in subsequent years?
was it an outright sale or a lease?
what the size of the land is?
the conditions of the land?

For instance, if i buy a land in an area for 3 million, chances are i might have to spend an additional 15 million in ensuring that the land is fit for use. . .you should learn not to be too brash without knowing exactly what is involved in the deal

Say something about this:
In the past, rumours of Chinese companies' interest in acquiring majority stakes in Canadian natural-resource companies have prompted sharp negative reactions. If a potential Chinese buyer were to materialise, public opposition might well lead Stephen Harper, the Conservative prime minister, to disqualify it on national-security grounds, by declaring that potash is a strategic resource that needs to remain in Canadian hands. In 2005, CNOOC, a Chinese company, withdrew its bid for Unocal, an American oil firm, after the United States Congress voted to refer the offer to the president to guarantee it did not pose a threat to national security. Time will tell if Canadians, who pride themselves on being more worldly and open-minded than their southern neighbours, can resist the lure of such selective protectionism.
They are SELLING the LAND. I can buttress this.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 12:12am On Jun 14, 2011
ola olabiy:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

How can you sell tracts of land that are rich in natural resources? Do you think we are talking about 10 acres here?

Why are they not heading to China to buy LAND?

1. How many large/industrial scale farms do you know of that only farm 10 acres?

2. China currently leads in the quantity of land owned in Africa and all over. I am not certain why you need Companies, even Chinese companies, to purchase/lease in China, when there is abundance of fertile land in Africa that is open and uncultivated, some for half a century.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by olaolabiy: 12:15am On Jun 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

1. How many large/industrial scale farms do you know of that only farm 10 acres?

2. China currently leads in the quantity of land owned in Africa and all over. I am not certain why you need Companies, even Chinese companies, to purchase/lease in China, when there is abundance of fertile land in Africa that is open and uncultivated, some for half a century.

And the ones they have in China are cultivated?

Answer the question about protectionism in Canada and the US first before we continue, please.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 12:17am On Jun 14, 2011
ola olabiy:

And the ones they have in China are cultivated?

Answer the question about protectionism in Canada and the US first before we continue, please.

1) Are you suggesting that the ONLY REASON a company/investor ought to be interested in land/property in Africa is if, and only if, there is no more land in it's country?

2) You mean to say that NO LAND(NONE) is sold/leased to foreign companies/investors in both America and Canada
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 12:20am On Jun 14, 2011

The following are Canadian companies that have been acquired by foreign investors.

-------- MacMillan Bloedel, B.C. forestry giant acquired by Weyerhaeuser for US$2.45 billion in 1999

-----Eaton's, at one time Canada's largest retailer, with a history going back to 1869, purchased by Sears in 1999, and closed in 2000

-------Seagram distillery and entertainment conglomerate, sold to Vivendi Universal and Pernod Ricard in 2000

-------Corel, a software and programming company, taken over by Vector Capital in August 2003.

--------- CP Ships Ltd., acquired by the parent company of Hapag-Lloyd Container Line, TUI AG, in an all-cash transaction worth $2.3 billion US in 2005
------- Molson Breweries, one of the oldest companies in Canada acquired by Coors, in 2005.

----------Terasen Inc., previously BC Gas (a public utility company), sold to American-owned energy giant Kinder Morgan for $6.9 billion. The deal was approved by the B.C. Utilities Commission[b] despite 8,000 letters of protest, 2005[/b]. Terasen was subsequently sold to Newfoundland-based Fortis Inc. in 2007.

--------Canadian Pacific hotels the owner of many of Canada's most historic hotel properties (operating under the name Fairmont Hotels and Resorts since 1999) is sold to Colony Capital, LLC of California and Kingdom Holding Company of Saudi Arabia for $3.9 billion, in January 2006.

-------- Dofasco, Canada's largest steel maker acquired by Luxembourg-based Arcelor, January 2006.

-------- Noranda (mining company) & Falconbridge Ltd., purchased by Swiss mining company Xstrata in 2006. Noranda had earlier been a target of state-owned China Metals Corp., but had backed out in 2005 amid public concern in Canada of Chinese state control of such a major company.

----------ATI Technologies, Canada's graphics chip maker, acquired by Advanced Micro Devices, July 2006.

------- Stelco, Canada's last major independent steel producer, taken over by United States Steel in August 2007.

--------Alcan purchased by Rio Tinto in 2007.

--------Addax Petroleum, one of Canada's 9 fortune 2000 2009 oil and gas companies was acquired by sinopec of China for C$8.27 billion in June 2009 and approved by the Chinese government on August 12, 2009.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by olaolabiy: 12:23am On Jun 14, 2011
violent:

The following are Canadian companies that have been acquired by foreign investors.

-------- MacMillan Bloedel, B.C. forestry giant acquired by Weyerhaeuser for US$2.45 billion in 1999

-----Eaton's, at one time Canada's largest retailer, with a history going back to 1869, purchased by Sears in 1999, and closed in 2000

-------Seagram distillery and entertainment conglomerate, sold to Vivendi Universal and Pernod Ricard in 2000

-------Corel, a software and programming company, taken over by Vector Capital in August 2003.

--------- CP Ships Ltd., acquired by the parent company of Hapag-Lloyd Container Line, TUI AG, in an all-cash transaction worth $2.3 billion US in 2005
------- Molson Breweries, one of the oldest companies in Canada acquired by Coors, in 2005.

----------Terasen Inc., previously BC Gas (a public utility company), sold to American-owned energy giant Kinder Morgan for $6.9 billion. The deal was approved by the B.C. Utilities Commission[b] despite 8,000 letters of protest, 2005[/b]. Terasen was subsequently sold to Newfoundland-based Fortis Inc. in 2007.

--------Canadian Pacific hotels the owner of many of Canada's most historic hotel properties (operating under the name Fairmont Hotels and Resorts since 1999) is sold to Colony Capital, LLC of California and Kingdom Holding Company of Saudi Arabia for $3.9 billion, in January 2006.

-------- Dofasco, Canada's largest steel maker acquired by Luxembourg-based Arcelor, January 2006.

-------- Noranda (mining company) & Falconbridge Ltd., purchased by Swiss mining company Xstrata in 2006. Noranda had earlier been a target of state-owned China Metals Corp., but had backed out in 2005 amid public concern in Canada of Chinese state control of such a major company.

----------ATI Technologies, Canada's graphics chip maker, acquired by Advanced Micro Devices, July 2006.

------- Stelco, Canada's last major independent steel producer, taken over by United States Steel in August 2007.

--------Alcan purchased by Rio Tinto in 2007.

--------Addax Petroleum, one of Canada's 9 fortune 2000 2009 oil and gas companies was acquired by sinopec of China for C$8.27 billion in June 2009 and approved by the Chinese government on August 12, 2009.

Those companies are NOT strategic.

Why PREVENT the sales of a company (POTASH C.)? That's the question
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kilode1: 12:24am On Jun 14, 2011
violent:

and how do you know this?  smiley

I will be glad to hear that you know more about this issue than Lester Brown. Google him bro.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by olaolabiy: 12:26am On Jun 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

1) Are you suggesting that the ONLY REASON a company/investor ought to be interested in land/property in Africa is if, and only if, there is no more land in it's country?

2) You mean to say that NO LAND(NONE) is sold/leased to foreign companies/investors in both America and Canada

List them please. And, how many hectares.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 12:30am On Jun 14, 2011
ola olabiy:

Those companies are NOT strategic.

Why PREVENT the sales of a company (POTASH C.)? That's the question

Chei!  see defense ooo!   Candian's largest steel maker is not strategic!!! shocked\

Dude, the sale of Potash C was close, but investors in the company refused to give up their majority stakes, the whole drama led to an extent where the stock price of Potash on the exchange was higher than the price it was being bidded for by the BHP, a phenomenon which is always rare in the history of acquisitions.  Canadian government did not save Potash, it's shareholders did!!!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 12:31am On Jun 14, 2011
ola olabiy:

List them please. And, how many hectares.

List what? I asked you a question. I want to be sure you did not just say what I think you did.

By the way, someone already gave you a list of properties acquired by foreign investors in Canada, but I see how you have decided to BRUSH all that aside just so you can hone in on the irrelevant, yet again!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by cap28: 12:33am On Jun 14, 2011
violent:

If you have a company that runs a monopoly market in rice sale.

Let's say I for instance, being the president. I've observed that rice has gone out in supply, i simply declare a ban on exportation of rice. . .what it will mean is that you will have to sell your rice tothe local market, and NO, you simply can't increase your price, cos if you do, investors in the local market will take advantage of that opportunity to import rice and sell at a price that is ridiculously lower than yours. so in essence, it's either you watch your inventory get bigger without turnover or you simply sell at a price that is competitive for market rates.

very few african nations have the leverage to negotiate in the way you are describing.

why do you think these foreign investors are interested in africa in the first place? well first of all because land in africa is dirt cheap and secondly because these sort of transactions are negotiated with african leaders who are imperialist puppets who simply do as they are told.

What many of you guys are failing to realize is that most of these firms, by investing in economies outside their own, face a lot of political risk as well, at the same time, it doesn't make any sense that a company can produce food commodities ----for export only!!. if their is a short supply in local markets!

what risk? there is absolutely no risk to these foreign investors - all of the african govts that they are doing business with are loyal to western interests, most of these african  leaders are in  receipt of millions of dollars in military aid from some of these western nations (the western nations work hand in hand with their multinational corporations)  therefore it doesnt matter to them if the deals they negotiate shortchange their own people, because all the african leaders are interested in is perpetuating themselves in power. this is how Mobutu of Zaire remained in power for 32 years by granting mining concessions at giveaway prices to belgian, french and american mining companies.  
The same was true of Omar Bongo of Gabon who gave Elf very extensive oil concessions in his country enabling the French to make billions whilst leaving his people impoverished.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by olaolabiy: 12:39am On Jun 14, 2011
violent:

Chei!  see defense ooo!   Candian's largest steel maker is not strategic!!! shocked\

Dude, the sale of Potash C was close, but investors in the company refused to give up their majority stakes, the whole drama led to an extent where the stock price of Potash on the exchange was higher than the price it was being bidded for by the BHP, a phenomenon which is always rare in the history of acquisitions.  Canadian government did not save Potash, it's shareholders did!!!

That is NOT true and you know it.

Read this:
The federal government rejects Australian-based BHP Billiton's $38.6 billion US hostile takeover of Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan. Industry Minister Tony Clement made the announcement at 5:45 p.m. in Ottawa, several hours ahead of the midnight deadline for the government's decision on whether the bid represented a net benefit for Canada. He said Canada wants to attract investment and business, but "some decisions can only be made once … and there's no turning back, ever." He also noted that BHP has 30 days to respond to the government's decision, adding that "At the end of that period, I will make a final decision." BHP said it will continue to co-operate with Clement and Industry Canada and will review its options.

Nov. 2, 2010: In a letter to Industry Minister Tony Clement, Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall implores the federal government to "stand up for Canada and defend Canada's national strategic interests" by denying the foreign takeover bid. Clement hits out at media reports citing unnamed sources that Industry Canada has already come to a decision in favour of the bid, saying people should "cool their jets" and wait for his announcement.

Nov. 1, 2010: Reports based on unnamed sources say BHP may or may not increase its bid.

Oct. 30, 2010: Wall says he would consider imposing a resource transfer tax on BHP if the federal government backs the takeover.

And this:

Oct. 25, 2010: Saskatchewan ministers go to Ottawa to lobby against the bid. If the deal is to go ahead, the federal government must approve the BHP offer. The stock closes at $146.90 in Toronto.

Oct. 21, 2010: Premier Wall rejects the BHP bid. He says the proposed deal does not provide a net benefit to the people of Saskatchewan and Canada. The stock closes at $146.68 in Toronto.

Oct. 20, 2010: Liberal MPs said Ottawa should block the PotashCorp deal. The stock closes at $145.90 in Toronto.

Oct. 15, 2010: The Reuters news agency reports from Singapore that the Chinese chemical giant Sinochem Corp. wouldn't make a competing bid for PotashCorp.

Montreal-based billionaire investor Stephen Jarislowsky, a large shareholder in PotashCorp, said the BHP bid should be rejected. The stock closes at $146.78 in Toronto.

BHP Billiton says a Conference Board of Canada report understated the benefits a proposed new potash mine will bring to Saskatchewan.BHP Billiton says a Conference Board of Canada report understated the benefits a proposed new potash mine will bring to Saskatchewan. (CBC)Oct. 4, 2010: A BHP takeover of PotashCorp could cut Saskatchewan government revenues by at least $2 billion over a decade, the Conference Board of Canada says. The stock closes at $147.60 in Toronto.

Sept. 2, 2010: Saskatchewan commissions the Conference Board of Canada to review the proposed takeover.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2010/11/02/f-timeline-postashcorp-takeover-bid.html
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 12:40am On Jun 14, 2011
Kilode?!:

I will be glad to hear that you know more about this issue than Lester Brown. Google him bro.

No one can ever lay claim to being an authority on issues like this.  There will always be arguments and counter arguments, for every Lester Brown, there are several other renowned economists or investors who share opposing views.  In as much as i can't lay claim to ever coming an inch in measures of quality of experience when Lester Brown is mentioned, i work in an industry where i have constructive arguments with some of the best minds ever, and I am positive that i have gained an experience good enough for me to come up with my own ideas and stand by them.

and if this is regarding your initial statement, i realize i might have gone out of line by stating that you're wrong.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by olaolabiy: 12:42am On Jun 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

List what? I asked you a question. I want to be sure you did not just say what I think you did.

By the way, someone already gave you a list of properties acquired by foreign investors in Canada, but I see how you have decided to BRUSH all that aside just so you can hone in on the irrelevant, yet again!
Uhn?

In fact, you are so right they have just sold 2 states to China.

Are you kidding me?

List those sales, please.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 12:47am On Jun 14, 2011
virgo:

Who are you mad at ? The group that sold the land, knowing what it is to be used for? Or the group that made the offer to lease/purchase the land, and paid the price deemed acceptable by the original owner?
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by olaolabiy: 12:48am On Jun 14, 2011
Read this. This is an eye opener - sort of :

When others are grabbing their land
Evidence is piling up against acquisitions of farmland in poor countries

May 5th 2011 | from the print edition

THE farmers of Makeni, in central Sierra Leone, signed the contract with their thumbs. In exchange for promises of 2,000 jobs, and reassurances that the bolis (swamps where rice is grown) would not be drained, they approved a deal granting a Swiss company a 50-year lease on 40,000 hectares of land to grow biofuels for Europe. Three years later 50 new jobs exist, irrigation has damaged the bolis and such development as there has been has come “at the social, environmental and economic expense of local communities”, says Elisa Da Vià of Cornell University.

When deals like this first came to international attention in 2009, it was unclear whether they were “land grabs or development opportunities”, to quote a study published that year. Supporters claimed they would bring seeds, technology and capital to some of the world’s poorest lands. Critics, such as the director of the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organisation, dubbed them “neo-colonialist”. But no one had hard evidence to back up their claims. Now they do. Two years on, a conference at the Institute of Development Studies (IDS) of the University of Sussex, the biggest of its kind so far, examined over 100 land deals. Most judgments are damning.*
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by olaolabiy: 12:50am On Jun 14, 2011
IMAGINE!

Land grabs have been strikingly popular. Preliminary research by the International Land Coalition, a non-governmental organisation, reckons almost 80m hectares have been subject to some sort of negotiation with a foreign investor, more than half in Africa (see chart). This estimate is far higher than a previous one, by the World Bank, which last year said that foreign investors had expressed interest in 57m hectares. It is higher still than one by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) which put the figure in a 2009 study at 15m-20m hectares. It would be wrong to draw a line between these numbers so as to conclude that land deals have grown fourfold. Since most are secret, knowing what to count is difficult, and the figures refer to different periods.