Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,021 members, 7,821,557 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court (43782 Views)

Fact-Check: Court Did Not Declare Marriages Conducted At Ikoyi Registry Illegal / FG Debunks Reports That Marriages Conducted At Ikoyi Registry Are False / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Tundex911: 11:39am On Dec 14, 2021
Bubu administration again

Smh
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by cmecproblem(m): 11:49am On Dec 14, 2021
Las Las those ones who paid only N6,509 to marry at the local government are safe. Lol.

1 Like

Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by lomprico(m): 12:30pm On Dec 14, 2021
Godswillu:
I don't think they know the implications of what they are saying.
The court should have put a time frame. May be effectively from January 1 2022. Ikoyi Marriage Registry should stop conducting marriage.

No mind them, Fooish judges everywhere.
If its In a sane country they can sue the hell out of them for this.

1 Like

Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by lawalmovichhhh: 12:54pm On Dec 14, 2021
alliamdullilahi....iyà bukkii... otòrgè
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Jesusbonboy: 1:04pm On Dec 14, 2021
undecided
SmellySperm:
Lols...when boys wey marry whitey don already collect green card japa
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Truflexunits(m): 1:43pm On Dec 14, 2021
joinnow:

All those planning to divorce but couldn't because of court marriage done in all Federal marriage court registry can now jeje leave as the marriage is now invalid according to the ruling

If the marriage is invalid according the court ruling, how about the oath that binds them together?. Who will reverse it?

1 Like

Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Praxis758: 1:50pm On Dec 14, 2021
aribisala0:

Emotional and incoherent rubbish

Read the judgment
Digest and comprehend BEFORE talking rubbish
What is the thinking or rationale of the court

Then explain how the 1999 constitution is a problem in this matter specifically
What has this got to do with Abacha?

Next you will be talking of how Jesus turned water into wine
Learn how to think in a logical and focused way

Stick to issues and stop bringing in all manner of irrelevancies

Define "SANE COUNTRY"

You dragged the content of the 1999 Constitution into the debate and that birthed why I mentioned how it was designed by Abacha to suite his personal interest when he finally switch to civilian rule

A sane country is where the president will receive/seek medical treatment at home unlike the one your president of doing.

A sane country is where your politicians and president will send their children to school at home unlike the foreign education your politicians' and president's children are having.

An insane country is where the president would budget 70+m for hair cut per annum.

An insane country is where the president is rejecting an electoral act that comply with modern technological realities.

An insane country is where the government will be sending emissaries to pacify a bandit/terrorist leader called Bello Turji whose hideout is well known by/to the same government.

An insane country is where the minister of information would organize a world press conference to defend and justify bandits/terrorists who are levying and collecting tax from innocent citizens.
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Adetutukemi(f): 1:51pm On Dec 14, 2021
Are you in my mind ni
joinnow:

All those planning to divorce but couldn't because of court marriage done in all Federal marriage court registry can now jeje leave as the marriage is now invalid according to the ruling
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by CUMIN: 2:11pm On Dec 14, 2021
Yankee101:
They better appeal b4 embassies throw out applications

Something they will capitalize and start rejecting application
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by aribisala0(m): 2:13pm On Dec 14, 2021
Praxis758:

You dragged the content of the 1999 Constitution into the debate and that birthed why I mentioned how it was designed by Abacha to suite his personal interest when he finally switch to civilian rule

A sane country is where the president will receive/seek medical treatment at home unlike the one your president of doing.

A sane country is where your politicians and president will send their children to school at home unlike the foreign education your politicians' and president's children are having.

An insane country is where the president would budget 70+m for hair cut per annum.

An insane country is where the president is rejecting an electoral act that comply with modern technological realities.

An insane country is where the government will be sending emissaries to pacify a bandit/terrorist leader called Bello Turji whose hideout is well known by/to the same government.

An insane country is where the minister of information would organize a world press conference to defend and justify bandits/terrorists who are levying and collecting tax from innocent citizens.

You are a LIAR

YOU brought up constitution
In broad daylight you want to start lying
You are suffering from flight of ideas and this impairs your ability to focus and concentrate
What exactly is YOUR definition of a sane country
So the USA is not sane since Bill Clinton sent his daughter to school abroad?
What has that got to do with marriage administration

Learn to focus on one thing and stop all this manic incoherent thinking or take medication if prescribed

You are not thinking coherently
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by CUMIN: 2:14pm On Dec 14, 2021
Bigchristo:
The court should allow us hear word local government marriage registry is not recognized at the embassy while processing a visa it there for means ministry of interior have the higher power to conduct such marriages

It seems you are more educated than 5he presiding judge.
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by CUMIN: 2:30pm On Dec 14, 2021
sisisioge:
Supreme court will settle the matter....so those people long married are not married? Jokes!

It's very clear from the constitution that local government are in charge of marriage... supreme court will affirm the decision of the lower Court.
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Praxis758: 2:59pm On Dec 14, 2021
aribisala0:

You are a LIAR

YOU brought up constitution
In broad daylight you want to start lying
You are suffering from flight of ideas and this impairs your ability to focus and concentrate
What exactly is YOUR definition of a sane country
So the USA is not sane since Bill Clinton sent his daughter to school abroad?
What has that got to do with marriage administration

Learn to focus on one thing and stop all this manic incoherent thinking or take medication if prescribed

You are not thinking coherently

Chelsea Clinton only went for her masters program in Oxford and kindly tell us another US leader (either in politics, religion, entertainment, business or tech) that send his/their children to foreign school.

Nigeria is a country where a GO would build University /school but won't his children won't attend the school but would go abroad (Oyedepo and his two sons)

OBJ was a former military leader but aunty Iyabo attended University of Wisconsin. All of Pastor Baker's children attended Emory university, Some VC's prefer to send their children abroad.

Your sitting president's daughter prefer to deliver her baby abroad (Spain). None of IBB's children had their territory education in Nigeria and you're here defending the sanity of Nigeria.

How will you defend a president who's planning to remove a subsidy of 1+ trillion only to be a palliative of 2+ trillion to cushion the effect of the subsidy removal.

Would you say the country is sane when NNPC didn't refine a drop of crude oil in 2 year only to be declaring profit?
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Yankee101: 3:06pm On Dec 14, 2021
CUMIN:

Something they will capitalize and start rejecting application

Absolutely

Reducing their workload

Making more money from new applications
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by aribisala0(m): 3:15pm On Dec 14, 2021
Praxis758:

Chelsea Clinton only went for her masters program in Oxford and kindly tell us another US leader (either in politics, religion, entertainment, business or tech) that send his/their children to foreign school.

Nigeria is a country where a GO would build University /school but won't his children won't attend the school but would go abroad (Oyedepo and his two sons)

OBJ was a former military leader but aunty Iyabo attended University of Wisconsin. All of Pastor Baker's children attended Emory university, Some VC's prefer to send their children abroad.

Your sitting president's daughter prefer to deliver her baby abroad (Spain). None of IBB's children had their territory education in Nigeria and you're here defending the sanity of Nigeria.

How will you defend a president who's planning to remove a subsidy of 1+ trillion only to be a palliative of 2+ trillion to cushion the effect of the subsidy removal.

Would you say the country is sane when NNPC didn't refine a drop of crude oil in 2 year only to be declaring profit?

Your mind is not organized
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Bigchristo: 3:27pm On Dec 14, 2021
CUMIN:

It seems you are more educated than 5he presiding judge.
I’m not educated more than the presiding judge but I am more experienced more than her in handling traveling documents and what the international communities accept for processing a visa, I once submitted an application it was declined due to the local government marriage certificate I was told to go and do another one that they don’t accept local government registry go and ask questions in regard to this and you will understand very well it also applies with birth certificates too if you tender hospital birth certificates that’s not from federal government they also don’t like to recognize it at some points
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Praxis758: 3:57pm On Dec 14, 2021
aribisala0:

Your mind is not organized

Truth is a big threat to those who prefers lies.

I'll only believe you if you can disprove any of my points.
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by aribisala0(m): 4:00pm On Dec 14, 2021
Praxis758:

Truth is a big threat to those who prefers lies.

I'll only believe you if you can disprove any of my points.
You are not a logical person
Very emotional and disorganized mind
That prefers ranting to analysis
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Praxis758: 4:18pm On Dec 14, 2021
aribisala0:

You are not a logical person
Very emotional and disorganized mind
That prefers ranting to analysis

This is not a call for abuse, we are having an informative debate. Don't resort to the "Nigerian political opposition tactics'.

I have not analysed anything that's either controversial, abusive or emotional. They're all obvious to the blind and audible to the deaf.

Addressing the issues I raised would make this country an envy of its peers and habitable for all.

How would sweet will it be if our presidents, politicians and elites can access local medical treatment, send their children to home schools, do vacation at home, deliver babies at home hospitals and domesticate their earnings.

I'm sure you too would dream of such a country.
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by aribisala0(m): 4:27pm On Dec 14, 2021
Praxis758:

This is not a call for abuse, we are having an informative debate. Don't resort to the "Nigerian political opposition tactics'.

I have not analysed anything that's either controversial, abusive or emotional. They're all obvious to the blind and audible to the deaf.

Addressing the issues I raised would make this country an envy of its peers and habitable for all.

How would sweet will it be if our presidents, politicians and elites can access local medical treatment, send their children to home schools, do vacation at home, deliver babies at home hospitals and domesticate their earnings.

I'm sure you too would dream of such a country.
If you see it as "abuse" that is YOUR problem

The fact remains that in my opinion
You do not have the capacity for dispassionate analysis
You cannot focus your mind with a lack of determining tendency to your thinking
You are also not truthful

You said I brought up constitution when in reality YOU did . You did not apologize which makes you dishonest

So there is nothing to talk about

The issue here is that the Marriage Act 2004 is a Federal Law.
This judgment does not repeal that legislation rather it affirms it

Why then are we talking about Abacha and Sane Countries? If that how a rational mind works?
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Praxis758: 4:52pm On Dec 14, 2021
aribisala0:

If you see it as "abuse" that is YOUR problem

The fact remains that in my opinion
You do not have the capacity for dispassionate analysis
You cannot focus your mind with a lack of determining tendency to your thinking
You are also not truthful

You said I brought up constitution when in reality YOU did . You did not apologize which makes you dishonest

So there is nothing to talk about

The issue here is that the Marriage Act 2004 is a Federal Law.
This judgment does not repeal that legislation rather it affirms it

Why then are we talking about Abacha and Sane Countries? If that how a rational mind works?

And do you think it is morally justifiable for marriage to be a federal affair?

I came up with Abacha's issue because he designed the 1999 document.

Reference to the 1999 document was pursuance to it empowering the federal government on marriage affairs.
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by aribisala0(m): 5:07pm On Dec 14, 2021
Praxis758:

And do you think it is morally justifiable for marriage to be a federal affair?

I came up with Abacha's issue because he designed the 1999 document.

Reference to the 1999 document was pursuance to it empowering the federal government on marriage affairs.

What is the basis of morals?
The Bible , Quran, or Philosophy

I have no interest in engaging with you because we are not on the same intellectual level

You operate on the emotional instinctive level. There is no meeting point. You are also quite fragile seeing insults very easily.

You do not have a firm cognitive grasp of the issues and your responses are just compulsive reactions devoid of insight

In short let it not be that you did not talk?

Do you really have anything to say?

Marriage in Nigeria is NOT like marriage anywhere else.
There are 3 distinct laws for marriage in Nigeria so we do not need t copy anyone but develop our own solutions and this court judgment is part of that process. It is a sign that democracy is working not an opportunity for emotional ranting about unrelated issues
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Praxis758: 5:12pm On Dec 14, 2021
aribisala0:

What is the basis of morals?
The Bible , Quran, or Philosophy

I have no interest in engaging with you because we are not on the same intellectual level

You operate on the emotional instinctive level. There is no meeting point. You are also quite fragile seeing insults very easily.

You do not have a firm cognitive grasp of the issues and your responses are just compulsive reactions devoid of insight

In short let it not be that you did not talk?

Do you really have anything to say?

You're deviating from the core subject. I won't join such a deviation.

Morality here is that it is not justifiable for the ministry of Interior to be in charge of marriage affairs. It should be left for either the state or LG.

Morality is justified by God in the Bible. We are not talking religion here, let's be sincere.
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by aribisala0(m): 5:20pm On Dec 14, 2021
Praxis758:

You're deviating from the core subject. I won't join such a deviation.

Morality here is that it is not justifiable for the ministry of Interior to be in charge of marriage affairs. It should be left for either the state or LG.

Morality is justified by God in the Bible. We are not talking religion here, let's be sincere.
Emotional nonsense
Do all Nigerians subscribe to the bible or the same morality?

I am not interested in your offering because it is too pedestrian and too instinctive. What is morality? Where dos it come from and what has it got to do with marriage. Is there one moral code for everyone?

These are not trivial issues. Way above your intellectual level. You do not learn anything whilst talking
Be silent and inquisitive. I do not rush to form opinions. So I do not know whether it is justifiable or not for a ministry of interior to be in charge of marriages. That is an issue that should be approached with an open mind. Let those who are stakeholders discuss , debate and agree without the use of abusive language like sane countries and so on.
If you research what happens around the world you will be shocked
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by PDPGuy: 5:26pm On Dec 14, 2021
Truflexunits:

If the marriage is invalid according the court ruling, how about the oath that binds them together?. Who will reverse it?

The oaths are null and void as well
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Praxis758: 5:30pm On Dec 14, 2021
aribisala0:
Emotional nonsense
Do all Nigerians subscribe to the bible or the same morality?

I am not interested in your offering because it is too pedestrian and too instinctive. What is morality? Where dos it come from and what has it got to do with marriage. Is there one moral code for everyone?

These are not trivial issues. Way above your intellectual level. You do not learn anything whilst talking
Be silent and inquisitive. I do not rush to form opinions. So I do not know whether it is justifiable or not for a ministry of interior to be in charge of marriages. That is an issue that should be approached with an open mind. Let those who are stakeholders discuss , debate and agree without the use of abusive language like sane countries and so on.
If you research what happens around the world you will be shocked

I raised the issued of moral right of the MoI on marriage affairs and your dragged philosophy, Quran and Bible into it. My moral point was neither on religion nor philosophy.

I was addressing it on classical morality called common sense.

I won't resort to abuse like you're doing.
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by aribisala0(m): 5:41pm On Dec 14, 2021
Praxis758:

I raised the issued of moral right of the MoI on marriage affairs and your dragged philosophy, Quran and Bible into it. My moral point was neither on religion nor philosophy.

I was addressing it on classical morality called common sense.

I won't resort to abuse like you're doing.
My approach is simple if you use a term we must agree what it means before proceeding

So I sought to establish what "morality" means or what you mean by morality

It will take forever to decide what morality means for the purpose of this thread
If i talk you will say I am insulting you

Guy go and find your mates to play with
You are wasting my time.
There is no prospect that I will gain anything talking to you
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Praxis758: 6:37pm On Dec 14, 2021
aribisala0:

My approach is simple if you use a term we must agree what it means before proceeding

So I sought to establish what "morality" means or what you mean by morality

It will take forever to decide what morality means for the purpose of this thread
If i talk you will say I am insulting you

Guy go and find your mates to play with
You are wasting my time.
There is no prospect that I will gain anything talking to you

the court presided over by Justice D. E. Osiagor, also held that only the local government marriage registries are empowered to do such by the provisions of the 1999 Constitution (as amended).

He submitted that the conduct of marriages and issuance of certificates were statutorily the job of the local governments as provided by the law.

The judge added that the acts of the federal government through the Ministry of Interior, operating marriage registries was beyond their powers and all marriages conducted by federal marriage registries or through their agents were illegal and invalid.

I just understand that the court affirmed the validity of 1999 document that only the LG registry can conduct marriage.

I'm sorry for the earlier misunderstanding and dragging avoidable debate with you.

You've been educative though. Keep it up.
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by ejimatic: 6:51pm On Dec 14, 2021
ogastanlee:
Breaking: All Marriages conducted by the Ikoyi Marriage Registry are illegal and Invalid.

by Stanley Alieke, Esq.

There have been a legal brawl between some Local government Areas of Nigeria against the Federal government simply for the determination of who have the power to operate marriage registries, conduct marriages and issue marriage certificates.

Statutorily, the Local governments are the ones empowered to conduct marriages and issue marriage certificates, for this reason, the LGAs have insisted that their powers to register marriages which is statutorily provided are being usurped by the Federal Government through the Ministry of Interior.

The Eti Osa LOcal Government Area of Lagos state took the Ministry of Interior and Attorney General of the Federation to court in suit no.: FHC/ LS/CS/816/18 between Eti-Osa LGA & 3 others v. Hon. Minister of Interior & 2 others (Federal High Court, Ikoyi Judicial Divaion), where the accused Federal Ministry of Interiors of usurping the Local Governments power to operate marriage registries, conduct marriages and issue marriage certificates.

The prayed the court to declare that the federal government have no business in the conduction of marriages and issuing marriage certificates and order the closure of all marriage registries opened and operated by the federal ministry of interior or through their agents including that of the Ikoyi registry.

The case lingered but recently, the federal High court sitting in Ikoyi held in the favor of the Eti osa local government and granted their prayers.

The court held that conduct of marriages and issue of certificate is statutorily the job of the local governments as provided by the law and only the local governments have the power to do such and the acts of the federal government through the ministry of interior operating marriage registries is clearly beyond their powers.

The court further held that all marriages conducted by federal marriage registries or through their agents are illegal and invalid and the federal high court also ordered for the closure of all federal marriage registries including that of Ikoyi marriage registry with immediate effect.

Stanley Alieke, Esq.
Managing Partner,
Stanley Alieke & Co.
infoitooknow@gmail.com

https://www.arise.tv/all-marriages-conducted-at-ikoyi-registry-illegal-nigeria-court-says/
A report monitored on Channels Tv now indicates that this judgement is FAKE NEWS. This has justified our observation that no court can give an order on the substansive suti on wedding matter which is at the SC since 2018.
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by tolajay: 7:04pm On Dec 14, 2021
Nigeria is a joke.

At the heart of this tussle is revenue generation and territorial control.

All the state actors involved care less about the citizens and what becomes of them.

Ponder on this: Is a piece paper needed to validate a marriage OR a marriage validates a piece of paper? Not too many would grasp this.
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by aribisala0(m): 7:13pm On Dec 14, 2021
Praxis758:

the court presided over by Justice D. E. Osiagor, also held that only the local government marriage registries are empowered to do such by the provisions of the 1999 Constitution (as amended).

He submitted that the conduct of marriages and issuance of certificates were statutorily the job of the local governments as provided by the law.

The judge added that the acts of the federal government through the Ministry of Interior, operating marriage registries was beyond their powers and all marriages conducted by federal marriage registries or through their agents were illegal and invalid.

I just understand that the court affirmed the validity of 1999 document that only the LG registry can conduct marriage.

I'm sorry for the earlier misunderstanding and dragging avoidable debate with you.

You've been educative though. Keep it up.

Did you actually read the Court judgment where it mentioned the constitution? Yes or No? Or is your position Hearsay

Be honest with yourself

That is what separates higher minds.(attention to detail and not follow follow)

Make an effort to find the judgment, read it and understand the reasoning of the judge

To the best of my knowledge the issue is not "constittional" but an interpretation of the ""Marriage Act 2004" which is FEDERAL LEGISLATION
Re: All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court by Adeyinkaolu: 7:31pm On Dec 14, 2021
update.. headline

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anambra Widow Sleeps Outside After She Was Thrown Out Of Her Home By Relatives / Wife Beater Looks Happy In Court Today (Photo) / He Doesn’t Satisfy Me Sexually – Wife Tells Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.