Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? (12897 Views)

Which Job Offer Should He Accepts. / NYSC Or A N80,000 Monthly Job Offer, Which Should I Go For? / Which Offer Should I Go For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by DropsMic(m): 12:15pm On Jan 02, 2022
R
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by KosoMo(m): 12:15pm On Jan 02, 2022
Don't allow the extra 30k decide your future... Go for the latter job
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Brightgem(f): 12:15pm On Jan 02, 2022
Experienced with Jobs. So the fact you already said you don't like the current is enough reason to switch. You don't want to wake up dreading where you are going to work.

However, you should be sure of the prospects for growth truly where you are headed, will there also be possibilities that your pay will be reviewed after specific and Clear time frames? Ask these questions. If not, be ready to also put a time frame for how long you'll be at the new job and when you'll move using it as a stepping stone. Good thing you know the worth of your skills and in tune with how you feel. Many people just live on auto pilot.

Your field should be paying you in 6 figures by the way 100k is even small.

In other news Toyota Camry Pencil Light. Car in perfect working condition. Available for inspection at Garki 2, ABUJA. AC working perfectly. Automatic. Body parts neat and in good working condition. Engine in good working condition, very quiet. Pick and drive. Registered with complete papers. Going for 1,350,000 (Negotiable)

Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by adekanmbi1986(m): 12:16pm On Jan 02, 2022
Hmm
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by lukhas(m): 12:17pm On Jan 02, 2022
You're right, It's practically not possible to make it being a civil servant No man gets rich/wealthy tru salary...

Dozie32:
If you have the money, go and open your own business, No civil servant makes it in life. Imgaine u till now I still dey work for person .because say I been civil servant . money i no get, peace of mind zero. Am even owning the landlord .

3 Likes

Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by BuyAndSellStuff: 12:18pm On Jan 02, 2022
Trumann:

Stop typing like a petty trader.

Okay sir
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by blockgeek69(m): 12:18pm On Jan 02, 2022
Dozie32:
If you have the money, go and open your own business, No civil servant makes it in life. Imgaine u till now I still dey work for person .because say I been civil servant . money i no get, peace of mind zero. Am even owning the landlord .

Not all employees are suffering, and not all business owners are doing well. Up your game. They are many employed people earning 500k and above, churning the money into real assets investment and doing well.

6 Likes

Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Berankis: 12:19pm On Jan 02, 2022
Trulydude:
Hello House,
Please I have a dicey situations here, can you give your input.
After concluding my youth service at Firm ABC in Lagos, the company wanted to retain me with a gross salary of 100k, but I don't want the job, I am an engineering graduate with average skills and so much potentials. I hate the job just because of it's description, it is base on trial and error and sometimes a lot of energy and effort is used to deliver some services, Moreover, the job is frustrating and tiring and also I don't think I see any likelihood of carrier growth from that job; because as an engineer you are to work under the supervision of a registered engineer before you get COREN certification.

Then, company CDE gave me another offer for 70k Gross, and the company is Telecoms company and I see a lot of potential with this new company, though the pay is something else.

So, please I need some experts views, comments and recommendations; which one should I go for?
Truthfully, I think some of these posts do not really need any input, as the bearer could easily analyse his/her gains and losses with the options available and settle for anyone perceived to the best for oneself.
But for the sake of giving us something to read about... Thank you!!!
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by FiverrTutor(m): 12:19pm On Jan 02, 2022
Trulydude:

Thanks for your input, I appreciate.
Yes it isn't a contract job

Oga it should be "No".... Try to correct your sentences.
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by DiscoverID: 12:19pm On Jan 02, 2022
Trulydude:
Hello House,
After concluding my youth service at Firm ABC in Lagos, the company wanted to retain me with a gross salary of 100k, but I don't want the job, I am an engineering graduate with average skills and so much potentials. I hate the job just because of it's description, it is base on trial and error and sometimes a lot of energy and effort is used to deliver some services, Moreover, the job is frustrating and tiring and also I don't think I see any likelihood of carrier growth from that job; because as an engineer you are to work under the supervision of a registered engineer before you get COREN certification.

Then, company CDE gave me another offer for 70k Gross, and the company is Telecoms company and I see a lot of potential with this new company, though the pay is something else.

So, please I need some experts views, comments and recommendations; which one should I go for?

70k gross and you are talking about potentials? If I were you, I wiould stick to the uncomfortable job cos it's going to put you on the edge and make you build your potentials. I did that when I was in your shoes and trust me, I have bigger monthly gross than anyone in any paid employment in Nigeria.
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jan 02, 2022
Trulydude:
Hello House,

My honest opinion?

I will tell you to do what I did.

Take the job with the opportunity to learn and amass value.

Now take this job for these two reasons. Like I said, these were the two reasons I took my first job in the office of a SAN, though the pay was shitty.

First, how many brain can I photocopy into mine and how much time do I need?

What value will the photocopied brain bring me in the value market place within the next 1-5 or 10 years?

How much data or brain can I steal or unknowingly photocopy into mine and how important is that data to my life?

Once you have your answers, you will make a better decision.

God gave me this formular in 2014, when I first moved to Lagos and it hasn’t failed me till date.

All I am after is OPE ( Other peoples experience) and honest review. It helps me make better decisions that ofcourse pays the bills.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by perryy(m): 12:24pm On Jan 02, 2022
70k for a graduate? I make that in three days driving my 18 seaters bus . Na wah for naija ooo
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Kwara1stson: 12:24pm On Jan 02, 2022
nurain150:

Please go for the company where there is career development.

Pharmacy is broad most Lecturers have advised us to pick a career now and not be the lost dog.
are you a Pharmacist?
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by JonCina(m): 12:28pm On Jan 02, 2022
The answer is clearly before you.
You just finished NYSC and you're still very young: the pay should be the least of your worries.

Go for what gives you job satisfaction and better carrier prospects.

Even if it is a contract job and it is what you want to really do, go for it.

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by sisisioge: 12:28pm On Jan 02, 2022
Hmmmmm....go for CDE jejely. Even if it doesnt have potential, it is what your mind prefer. No point staying on a job you despite biko. Meanwhile, pay a lot of attention to your growth and experience....very important please.
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Caleycash(m): 12:32pm On Jan 02, 2022
BuyAndSellStuff:
Oga leave all these career growth nonsense and take the higher paying job.

You use it as a stepping stone to apply for better jobs in 6-9 months time. Employers are not really expecting much specialization from you as a graduate hire (less than 3 years work experience). All they need is to know that you can think and have an idea of how a corporate setting works.

If you take the 70k job, you may find yourself always struggling to meet up with your personal needs and this will have an adverse effect on your output in that telecoms job. You will not even be able to free your head and achieve the things you want to do in the job, let alone your personal life.

Take the 100k job, stay for about 6-9 months and apply for new ones. You will get.

Career path thingy is for when you have done 2-3 years of corporate work. Then you can go for Masters and start aligning your career the way you want.
I so much hate that rubbish statement!... shey na Career growth go pay my bills for me!?, Career growth you go dey stagnant forever and probably die without even growing Career wise!

2 Likes

Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Skinmalo47: 12:32pm On Jan 02, 2022
Take the one that would allow you grow regardless of the pay.
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by BuyAndSellStuff: 12:36pm On Jan 02, 2022
Caleycash:
I so much hate that rubbish statement!... shey na Career growth go pay my bills for me!?, Career growth you go dey stagnant forever and probably die without even growing Career wise!

Lol
The advice I gave him is one of personal experience.

Its up to him. If he has a sure family financial backing then my advice is not for him though.

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Dozie32(m): 12:40pm On Jan 02, 2022
Egein:

You sound like an unhinged illiterate. Where in his post did he mention civil service?

Na your miserable life and family be illiterate..
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 02, 2022
Trulydude:
Hello House,
After concluding my youth service at Firm ABC in Lagos, the company wanted to retain me with a gross salary of 100k, but I don't want the job, I am an engineering graduate with average skills and so much potentials. I hate the job just because of it's description, it is base on trial and error and sometimes a lot of energy and effort is used to deliver some
services, Moreover, the job is frustrating and tiring and also I don't think I see any likelihood of carrier growth from that job; because as an engineer you are to work under the supervision of a registered engineer before you get COREN certification.

1) to get your Coren or Nse certification, you need just your money and to pass the exam- all this working under a registered engineer is just for formalities sake-after all ,Abc transport is a registered entity. If you doubt me, seek advice from registered fellows.

2) I served at ABC owerri, I know there are a lot of skills an engineer can pick up there. There shacman and Mercedes trucks are maintained by mechanics and there are service engineers,maintance engineers etc in each workshop.Even the workshop manager most times is a graduate engineer. During my days with the company, I picked up skills in diesel engine maintenance, brake system diagnosis and repair etc. Eventually I worked for free at another multinational logistics company with the skills I got there ,and presently am at another multinational corporation. The point is, the skills ABC equiped me with set me up for greater things.

3) your salary is very important, there is a huge difference between 70k and a 100k . consider if that will be enough for you.

4) the most important thing though is doing a job you're happy doing. If you don't like the ABC job and it doesn't give you happiness ,then you don't need any further advice
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Tzar(m): 12:47pm On Jan 02, 2022
The 30k difference isn’t worth your unhappiness.
Go for the lesser paying job that offers career growth and fulfillment. Then work towards developing and positioning yourself better pay on the same job or a similarly fulfilling job elsewhere.

Trulydude:
Hello House,

Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by samx4real(m): 12:52pm On Jan 02, 2022
Trulydude:
Hello House,

Guy remain where u are and forget that COREN rebbish abeg.

If you want to be a registered engineer, chat me up.

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Jamesshadrach: 12:54pm On Jan 02, 2022
Chachamiliano:
Hello check the following criteria before making your decision.

Culture
Names and influence
Location and nearness to your place
Days of work (do they work on weekends)
Traveling time if any?
Quality of people in the environment.
Most importantly check the number and type of cars parked or used by staff of the company. That will tell you if there is prospect or not

That is true
Sit down and analyse it.

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Tribu(m): 12:56pm On Jan 02, 2022
BuyAndSellStuff:
Oga leave all these career growth nonsense and take the higher paying job.

You use it as a stepping stone to apply for better jobs in 6-9 months time. Employers are not really expecting much specialization from you as a graduate hire (less than 3 years work experience). All they need is to know that you can think and have an idea of how a corporate setting works.

If you take the 70k job, you may find yourself always struggling to meet up with your personal needs and this will have an adverse effect on your output in that telecoms job. You will not even be able to free your head and achieve the things you want to do in the job, let alone your personal life.

Take the 100k job, stay for about 6-9 months and apply for new ones. You will get.

Career path thingy is for when you have done 2-3 years of corporate work. Then you can go for Masters and start aligning your career the way you want.

You are on point
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by iKON11(m): 12:57pm On Jan 02, 2022
It's Career not carrier. I guess you didn't notice that.
Nothing is more depressing than been stuck with a job you don't like. In this case the 100k job is even worse as it offers no career prospect. At the same time, you mustn't have a perfect career at your first attempt. You need the money now more than the career growth and prospect BS. Na pesin wey chop belleful dey enhance career.

Secondly you sound very rigid about engineering, be flexible enough to understand that your best life may not even come from engineering. Be open to many things but not as many as to get you confused. Na money we dey find no be career

1 Like

Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Trulydude(m): 1:02pm On Jan 02, 2022
valves:
"because as an engineer you are to work under the supervision of a registered engineer before you get COREN certification."

First, I hope the above is not a major criteria in your decision making process, cos it is not necessarily true.

To get your COREN, you need to have worked for minimum of 4years in your profession, with or without the supervision of a registered Engineer. I already have my COREN and I was never supervised by a registered engineer.

Second, IMO, since you are a fresh graduate money shouldn't be a major factor when deciding between the two jobs (besides the salary difference isn't very much). I will advice you to think longterm. I for one have a positive bias toward IT skills that are in vogue.

Again, since you already know the job description of the first company (willing to offer 100k gross) and you also know the organizational culture as well, why not Find out the job descriptions of the IT firm and their culture, and then decide which is best for you.

Finally, how transferable are the skills you'd acquire from both jobs? Which do you think puts you in a better position for a higher/better opportunity in the future when you want to move to another company?

In summary: Think long term. Don't base your decision of current salary alone.

Thank you, this is really helpful and insightful
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Jaculze(m): 1:21pm On Jan 02, 2022
Trulydude:
Hello House,

negotiate the 70k pay based on your experience and average skills
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by porthouse7(f): 1:22pm On Jan 02, 2022
japa sud be every reasonable but struggling young man dis year, if u are earning less than 250k please Japa... 2022 na election gimmick year. things go strong gan
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by EhischemNg: 1:28pm On Jan 02, 2022
Bro more than 80% of employees today are working not for career or personal satisfaction but to survive broda... Nigeria hard

Career growth might make u happy on the job but broda when u reach house and bills start piling up u will by ur hand start applying for jobs with higher pay.

Ppl will say u are jux starting life and u can go for the one with career prospect, but broda dere are ppl starting life with a salary of 500k...nothing is stopping u for going for the 100k job piling up enough money to be comfortable and go and look for job with career prospect regardless of the pay.

Baba in Nigeria today very few ppl get jobs and work on jobs relating to what dey studied go bank u will see engineers, agricultural science graduates and the likes..

Baba I studied engineering too baba, one of our best graduating student in chemical engineering works in the bank presently.

If na career u want find follow am, but for me and with all I have seen..I go follow the 100k job and move for higher pay in the future.

In conclusion it is ur decision to make and in all u do make a decision u are OK with and one u don't think u will ever regret.. Peace
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 02, 2022
Trulydude:
Hello House,

fukkkk you man reject all and face poverty stupid
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by Egein(m): 1:38pm On Jan 02, 2022
Dozie32:

Na your miserable life and family be illiterate..

E pain the fool. LMFAOO
Re: Which Of This Job Offer Should I Go For? by OmegaAutos: 2:30pm On Jan 02, 2022
Trulydude:
Hello House,

na this kain thing affect Mikel Obi, just go for the one with career growth, money will come eventually

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Recruitment: Kaduna, Adamawa, Borno Lead, Anambra, Ebonyi, Abia, Trail / Uber and Lagos State Employment Trust Fund (LSETF) partner to provide Access to / Nigerian Air Force Nationwide Recruitment For Direct Short Services Cadet (DSSC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.