Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,969 members, 7,952,901 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:06 AM

Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank (10020 Views)

Jaiz Islamic Bank To Raise More Capital / Jaiz Islamic Bank Finally Starts In Kano, Kaduna, Abuja / Jaiz Bank PLC (Islamic Bank) Opens For Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by Odunnu: 5:59pm On Jun 14, 2011
The days of Lamido are numbered if he goes on with this thrash
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by Roland17(m): 6:05pm On Jun 14, 2011
if Islamic banking would reduce or alleviate the level of poverty in the Nigerian economy, regulate the astronomical increase in the level of interest banks request, me i dont mind abeg, Nigeria is at a stage where any remedy must be considered
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by jaguar09(m): 6:16pm On Jun 14, 2011
WIth the kind of demands Boko Haram is asking for and the proposed islam bank, i think its time to separate this country, so that we can have lasting peace and a sustainable democrazy. with the system on ground technocrats will never venture into politics to bring about the much needed change that will stand the test of time.

Why on earth will people demand for sharia law in some part of the country where there are diverse religions? and the constitution of Nigeria permits all citizens freedom to live, do business, work, etc in any part of the country. with the sharia law in the Northern part of the country this section of the constitution is bridged.

Our constitution started with "We the people of Nigeria" bla bla bla, if some fraction of the "We" choose to jeopardize it then it calls for disintegration and separation, at time i wonder if Nigeria is matured or ripe for true democrazy? where is the true federalism our founding fathers practiced. All these will come to climax in 2015, and a new coarse for Nigeria will be set in Motion.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by Hardeyorlah(f): 6:25pm On Jun 14, 2011
Islamic bank simply means non interest bank,so WTF.Abeg bishop go sidon
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by phreakabit(m): 6:26pm On Jun 14, 2011
Its now obvious what this Sanusi is planning! first, All the license revocations and all those restrictions and none of them affected UNITY bank for obvious reasons, and now this. We are not an Islamic country why should we practice their form of banking? I am not putting my hard earned money in the bank if wouldn't get interest, simply makes no sense! Secondly this seems like an extremely hazardous path to thread, considering that African place Ethnicity above religion and place religion above every other thing. This will mean that only banks practicing this unbelievably stup!d system are likely to get Muslim customers ( assuming the system isn't widely accepted and thus practiced only by a few). why split up what we have labored to build for ages, if we aren't ready to split up the country?
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by youngmonie: 6:32pm On Jun 14, 2011
Nigerians sha!!,  and even this preist, Im sure they DONT EVEN KNOW THE MEANING OF ISLAMIC BANKING AND ITS BENEFITS!!, they will just start shuting because that word ISLAMIC is there!:

The underlying principle of Islamic banks is the principle of justice which is an essential requirement for all kinds of Islamic financing. In profit sharing of a financed project, the financier and the beneficiary share the actual or net profit/loss rather than throwing the risk burden only to the entrepreneur. The principle of fairness and justice requires that the actual output of such a project should be fairly distributed among the two parties. If a financier is expecting a claim on profits of a project, he should also carry a proportional share of the loss of that project.

In contrast with conventional finance methods, Islamic financing is not centered only on credit worthiness and ability to repay the loans and interest; instead the worthiness and profitability of a project are the most important criteria of Islamic financing while the ability to repay the loan is sub-segmented under profitability

They invest the money of their depositors on high profitable projects after going through a strategic analysis in order to give a substantial return to their depositors.

Thus in Islamic banking industry, each bank will attempt to out-perform other banks if it wants to attract funds from investors. And the ultimate result is that a high return on investments for the investors, which is unlikely in a conventional bank where it deals with their depositors on a pre-determined fixed interest rate.

So what in heaven is this preist talkig about, IGNORANCE IS HIS PROBLEM AND SO MANY PEOPLE ON nairaland!!
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by texazzpete(m): 6:33pm On Jun 14, 2011
You know, If it's actually confirmed that Soludo's roadmap definitely had Islamic banking on the plate, y'all will look like a bunch of re'tards.

This is the issue with Nigerians and intellectual laziness. I have not yet seen any detailed breakdown or analysis on what the proposed Islamic banking will entail. Yelling out the usual bigoted cries of 'aboki' and 'sharia' only marks you out as someone with limited intellect.

Either way, this whole issue doesn't bother me one bit. i'd prefer the Anglican bishops were more occupied in caring for the poor, sick and needy.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by mrofficial(m): 6:33pm On Jun 14, 2011
@namfav
if they have islamic banks in england why can't we have in nigeria? what kind of fo0l is this, stoopid priets should always open their mouths about issues that don't concern them

I believe you should know that England is not a multi-religious country. How many Islamic banks are very popular in England? They are just like banks that belong to foreigners who live in England. Hence, it can never divide the England. Get that into your skull!  wink
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jun 14, 2011
Odunnu:

The days of Lamido are numbered if he goes on with this thrash

Oh yeah? What are you gonna do?
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by koruji(m): 6:44pm On Jun 14, 2011
Instead of doing what you accuse people of why don't you read the posts on page 2 of this thread first. As you will find, there are different types of "Islamic" Banks. The one being proposed by Sanusi is an agenda at further Islamization of the Nigerian state.

The same "Soludo also proposed an Islamic Bank" cover was used here a couple of weeks ago - apart from holding no water, Soludo's proposal is unlikely to be the same as the "Islamic Jurisprudence", "Sharia Compliant", "Sharia Advisory/Supervisory Council" etc that Sanusi is sneaking in. Soludo probably proposed a NON-INTEREST BANK which is also refered to as Islamic Bank as practiced in Europe.

texazzpete:

You know, If it's actually confirmed that Soludo's roadmap definitely had Islamic banking on the plate, y'all will look like a bunch of re'tards.

This is the issue with Nigerians and intellectual laziness. I have not yet seen any detailed breakdown or analysis on what the proposed Islamic banking will entail. Yelling out the usual bigoted cries of 'aboki' and 'sharia' only marks you out as someone with limited intellect.

Either way, this whole issue doesn't bother me one bit. i'd prefer the Anglican bishops were more occupied in caring for the poor, sick and needy.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by okemmadu(m): 6:46pm On Jun 14, 2011
The Anglican Clergy should speak out against corrupt leaders in Nigeria. If they don't like Islamic banking then let them set up Christian banking. Full stop.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by koruji(m): 6:53pm On Jun 14, 2011
What you describe below is not all that Sanusi is proposing. Sanusi's version is not about profitability, but about Sharia Compliance, about prohibiting certain businesses from benefiting from the funding of an "Islamic Bank", about a Sharia supervisory council to enforce compliance.

Non-interest banking is essentially joint-venture banking - there is no need for sharia compliance and employees having the knowledge of quran and the hadith to ensure that - this is simply a cunning attempt at islamization.

youngmonie:

Nigerians sha!!,  and even this preist, Im sure they DONT EVEN KNOW THE MEANING OF ISLAMIC BANKING AND ITS BENEFITS!!, they will just start shuting because that word ISLAMIC is there!:

The underlying principle of Islamic banks is the principle of justice which is an essential requirement for all kinds of Islamic financing. In profit sharing of a financed project, the financier and the beneficiary share the actual or net profit/loss rather than throwing the risk burden only to the entrepreneur. The principle of fairness and justice requires that the actual output of such a project should be fairly distributed among the two parties. If a financier is expecting a claim on profits of a project, he should also carry a proportional share of the loss of that project.

In contrast with conventional finance methods, Islamic financing is not centered only on credit worthiness and ability to repay the loans and interest; instead the worthiness and profitability of a project are the most important criteria of Islamic financing while the ability to repay the loan is sub-segmented under profitability

They invest the money of their depositors on high profitable projects after going through a strategic analysis in order to give a substantial return to their depositors.

Thus in Islamic banking industry, each bank will attempt to out-perform other banks if it wants to attract funds from investors. And the ultimate result is that a high return on investments for the investors, which is unlikely in a conventional bank where it deals with their depositors on a pre-determined fixed interest rate.

So what in heaven is this preist talkig about, IGNORANCE IS HIS PROBLEM AND SO MANY PEOPLE ON nairaland!!
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by phreakabit(m): 7:15pm On Jun 14, 2011
What you describe below is not all that Sanusi is proposing. Sanusi's version is not about profitability, but about Sharia Compliance, about prohibiting certain businesses from benefiting from the funding of an "Islamic Bank", about a Sharia supervisory council to enforce compliance.

Non-interest banking is essentially joint-venture banking -[size=15pt] there is no need for sharia compliance and employees having the knowledge of quran and the hadith to ensure that - this is simply a cunning attempt at islamization[/size].

Bro Thanks for the explaination so that those who dont understand the use of words, get a better grasp of the situation on ground.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by Neddyogu(m): 7:26pm On Jun 14, 2011
Islamic banking according to shari'a law? Dat means many more amputations await greedy MDs. I practice theraveda buddhism, is there any hope for Buddhist banking someday?
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by Neddyogu(m): 7:27pm On Jun 14, 2011
Islamic banking according to shari'a law? Dat means many more amputations await greedy MDs. I practice theraveda buddhism, is there any hope for Buddhist banking someday?
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by LKRavitz(m): 7:41pm On Jun 14, 2011
texazzpete:

Q.E.D on point bro.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by ceeplus(m): 8:05pm On Jun 14, 2011
Sanusi shld not try dat rubbish.which one is islamic banking?so you want all dis abokis to burn my money?dnt u knw dat if any little problem occur btw muslims and xtains the next thing is no more burning of churches but xtain banks.abeg ooo sanu no try am.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by Waduku(m): 8:11pm On Jun 14, 2011
The much I do about this evil plan is purported by this religious zealots that are worst hit with the burden of poverty(.Northern extract)Nigeria is a secular nation.To hell with a banking system that support terrorism
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by Remii(m): 8:38pm On Jun 14, 2011
I think Anglican Bishop must have been misinformed. The non Intrest banking is all over the world now. In fact it was introduced in to Nigeria by Joseph Sanusi , the CBN Governor before Soludo, a Christian. All banks have Islamic winodw, you just have to say you dont want interste paid on your account. The only disadvantage is that people dont have the opportunity of borrowing without interest, that is sharing of profit and loss from he business for which the loan was sought.

May be the Bishop and co can explain to us how Islamic banking would affect the non Muslim for us to understand the threath.

Are they going to be ask them to change their names before opening accts
Are the banks going to employ only Muslims?
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by kholis(m): 8:42pm On Jun 14, 2011
It really appears as if every Muslim leader in this country, in whatever capacity, enjoys coming up with violent-prone policy that must heat up the polity. Probably this is a way of expressing solidarity to a religion they have so close to their hearts. Probably, there is an injunction that all Muslim leaders must leave an indelible mark in the polity for posterity to see their level  of dedication to Islam and then carry the spirit on.

If not, why should Sanusi copy other countries that are not as polarized as Nigeria even at this period when Boko Haram is decimating our population? For those that see nothing wrong about it, I pray that the violence that may erupt as a result should not affect them or any member of their families.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by fijiano202(m): 8:55pm On Jun 14, 2011
am not against the islamic bank but nigeria is more fragile than that,am very sure after the introduction of the islam bank,the christain would also request for their bank,this is the process it will follow
1 islamic bank
2 christain bank of nigeria
3 oodua bank of nigeria(yoruba)
4 hausa muhammed bank
5 igbos bank
6 lagos city bank etc,
then the christain bank would overstep their boundaries and build bank in the north and islamic to the east and west.bomb blast zzzz,breaking news:30 christain were killed in kano today,10 igbo,10yorubas,10 niger delta,christan would run to sabo and start killing muslims,bam bam Religious war/tribal way has started
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by Sagamite(m): 9:11pm On Jun 14, 2011
As much as an Islamic Bank means no bad connotation, in a religiously sensitive country, the CBN Governor should not be using his position (I am assuming that is what is happening) to open one.

He should leave it to the private sector to develop.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by stonedlive(m): 9:25pm On Jun 14, 2011
let me help this debate a bit

"An attorney for one of the groups opposed to move told the Nigerian Compass that while it was within the rights of the Central Bank to regulate the financial sector, “but with this new guideline, what they have simply done is to shut out Buddhists, Animists, Atheists, Christians and others from Non-Interest Financial Institution business by saying you must be Sharia-compliant before you can engage in this type of business or to get licence.”

“Nobody is against Islamic Banking or Muslims but what we are saying is that you can’t tell me to be Sharia-compliant to engage in this business in a secular state. There is Islamic banking in Europe and other places, but you can’t find it in their laws that you must be Sharia-compliant” in order to receive a government licence.

Central Bank governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi rejected the charges the new code violated the law and broached the line between church and state. “There is nothing called Sharia banking,” he told Next last week in Abuja. “There is non-interest banking or Islamic banking, which is a financial product all over the world. This is the only country in the world that I know that Islamic banking is being seen as a religious issue,” Mr. Sanusi said"( cited from the vanguard newspaper)
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by smileyprin(m): 9:40pm On Jun 14, 2011
if it can work effectively in SA where muslims are 2.5 percent why not nig? it will be beneficial if so calld religious scholars worry abt more important issues though.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by Imoy(m): 10:21pm On Jun 14, 2011
kholis:

It really appears as if every Muslim leader in this country, in whatever capacity, enjoys coming up with violent-prone policy that must heat up the polity. Probably this is a way of expressing solidarity to a religion they have so close to their hearts. Probably, there is an injunction that all Muslim leaders must leave an indelible mark in the polity for posterity to see their level  of dedication to Islam and then carry the spirit on.

If not, why should Sanusi copy other countries that are not as polarized as Nigeria even at this period when Boko Haram is decimating our population? For those that see nothing wrong about it, I pray that the violence that may erupt as a result should not affect them or any member of their families.
amen o my dear. Na u b d only beta prsn wey talk beta tin. Lol
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jun 14, 2011
And I further wonder why we are still a country, some people would be against it even if the bank was handing out free money. SAD! See we are muslims and we don't give a rat's as*s what you think of it!
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by DOnly1(m): 10:45pm On Jun 14, 2011
Looking closely @ responses of some people, it really means religious issues in Nigeria have 2 handled with utmost caution. Even with some people commenting insultively about clerics.
A clear study only needs 2 be carried out on d negative impact it may have on the religious sensitive economy like ours.
Dumb heads think before you comment & observe courtesy.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by adejoro75: 10:53pm On Jun 14, 2011
No need to protest. Form your own Christian Bank and get a license, or do not patronize the sharia bank. By the time they lack customers, they will close shop. At best, they will remain only in the Islamic North. Kill it slowly, not noisily.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by goose1: 11:10pm On Jun 14, 2011
So funny how many Nigerians are so ethnic and religious minded.They only compare Nigeria with other countries when it suits them.Comparing Nigeria with UK in terms of sharia bank success shows they are either shallow minded tor just religious zealots,i think it is the later.Nigeria and UK are miles apart in terms of human development and education.I am not against sharia bank because of its applicability,rather because of the believe and understanding of the muslims in our midst.There is no need starting what will destroy our existence.What are the flaws of the present banking system that you want to solve with sharia bank at the risk of starting a civil war.
Sanusi,if u are short of ideas,drink more kunu or else resign than destroy us.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by odumchi: 11:20pm On Jun 14, 2011
I rebuke this in the mighty name of Jesus.

The Islamic Bank is a bad idea that will only create more division in Nigeria. There is no reason whatsoever to introduce a bank that revolves around religious principles. People dont need to be reminded that they are Christian while you are Muslim. Nigeria is far too young for this type of bank. Nigeria is still a new nation only 50 years old while England is over 1000 years old. The two nations shouldnt be compared because the level of human and social development in the two nation is not equal. Imaging creating a Roman Catholic Bank in England back in 1500 when Catholics and ANglicans were adversaries. People should think for once.
Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by mekaboy(m): 11:22pm On Jun 14, 2011

NIGERIA IS NOT RIPE FOR THIS, THE MUSLIMS IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE WORLD ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE ONES WE HAVE IN NIGERIA, TRUST ME THE PROBLEMS THIS BANK WILL CREATE WILL BE MORE THAN THE SOLUTION.

HOPE THIS BANK WILL NOT CREATE A MEANS FOR ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS AND TERRORISTS TO MOVE FUNDS AROUND AND PREPARE FOR JIHAD, JUST THINKING ALOUD  

Re: Anglican Bishops Kick Against Proposed Islamic Bank by LagosShia: 11:34pm On Jun 14, 2011
na bad belleh dey worry these ignorant priests.

they dont even know what is the meaning of an "islamic bank".if a muslim billionaire is rich enough to establish an islamic bank,why not?

a so called islamic bank is only islamic in the sense that it does not take or give usury/interest.it is only islamic in function.however,everyone is free to do business with it.these priests are complaining when infact such a bank cannot even be compared to missionary-run schools which force christianity on innocent children and attempt to brainwash and convert them.these priests no doubt do not even know their bible.if they know that the bible speaks out against usury and even Jesus threw out the those who engage in usury out of the temple,they would be the first to support islamic banking in Nigeria.it is unfortunate that these fools are zealots who try to use every method to politicize every single issue and try to raise their voice.they believe in that way they can dominate or win converts.

these priests are so ignorant and fanatical that the evil of jealousy and hate prevents them from acting maturely.nigeria is not a christian country by the way.nigeria is secular and it also gives right to its citizens to practive their beliefs freely.if muslims want that system of banking,then who are these fools to say no?let them get their own christian bank if they can.the fact that they cant get a christian bank exposes the deficiency in christianity as a whole.islam teaches us that it is a way of life.while christianity does not have a legislative system in the life of its adherents.it is just a collection of songs and praises.islam has an economic side,political and treats and explains every aspect of human life as well as the religious side of life.

or maybe these old empty heads are trying to protect the un-god-fearing banks which sucks the blood of ordinary nigerians through interest/usury.they know if a better alternative comes out where risk and profit are shared and there is nothing as usury,even igbo businessmen would start doing business with islamic banks.islam is so simple and practical and beautiful that if put into practice correctly,that is enough to conquere heart and minds.these empty heads are simply scared.as usual the enemies of islam would not only mind their business but they will go on the offensive to stop muslims from practicing their beliefs.that has being the case even in the days of the Prophet Muhammad (sa).then,these same shameless men would accuse muslims of being aggressive and violent.shame on their ignorance!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

MTN, Dangote, Coca-Cola Lead Top 50 Brands Nigeria 2017 Ranking / The Sun Award: High Chief Dr. Christopher Ndubuisi Emerges Investor of the Year / Need Urgent Information On Setting Up Cooking Gas Mini-plant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.