Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,674 members, 7,820,368 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem (951 Views)

Husband And Wife Worshipping/attending Separate Church. Right Or Wrong? / Which Is The Best Major Nigerian Language To Learn / Gifts: The Nigerian Problem With Wedding Registry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by tolajay: 10:56pm On Dec 17, 2021
Have you ever been respected or disrespected based on what you have or don't have?

In my residential area, I noticed that people greet me in a special way whenever I'm driving, but the degree of enthusiasm drops once I decide to walk.

At the banks and companies, security officers usually give people special treatment because they flaunt car key or affluence. But for "keys in the pocket" crew like me, they look down on us until they realise we have cars too.

In church, some people practically inflate the respect they accord me.

I get pretty worried by such act of ingenuity, low-balling, sycophancy, plastic-humility and money-worshipping.

Needless to say, na poor (mentally and materially) people dey do these things pass. It's sickening.

Too many Nigerians are money-driven and regard people because they have money, regardless of how they get it. This is one of reasons many do/will do anything just to make money.

We have no value for values. No premium for principles. No consciousness for content. No cheering and craving for character.

For one, I detaste being "regarded" for what I have rather who I am and my content and value.

Please share your experience of when people regarded you simply because you possess something.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by isaiah4life(m): 11:01pm On Dec 17, 2021
Sir, you are right. Money mongers.

If you don't have money, your ideas are meaningless to them. In families, the person with much money makes the decrees.

This is the bane of our society.

3 Likes

Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by Righteousness2(m): 11:18pm On Dec 17, 2021
You are absolutely on Point.

Vanity has beclouded the sense of reasoning of so many people today. Vanities have become a god to so many people, and it is really very unfortunate and Pathetic.

Personally, Money or vanity is the least thing that makes me admire or respect anyone.
I respect and admire a man or woman who Genuinely knows JESUS Christ, has the Visible Spirit, attributes and Knowledge of GOD.
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by MsFaith: 11:40pm On Dec 17, 2021
Na poverty cause am. Nigeria is not tagged world poverty capital for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by Sonnobax15(m): 1:16am On Dec 18, 2021
grin
Ok
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by tolajay: 8:16am On Dec 18, 2021
It's a terrible thing.

Age is not barrier to this: both old and young are guilty.

Many people are hypocritical, looking to appear good before those they consider better/richer than them.

This untrue nature of theirs is why they won't be better. You don't MAKE IT by faking it.

By the way, I'm not sure "money-monger" is apt for the description above. Please check the dictionary for that. wink

isaiah4life:
Sir, you are right. Money mongers.

If you don't have money, your ideas are meaningless to them. In families, the person with much money makes the decrees.

This is the bane of our society.
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by tolajay: 8:20am On Dec 18, 2021
Interesting.

But I seek some clarification about your last paragraph.

Does it mean you won't accept or respect anyone who isn't a Christian or without the knowledge og God?

Righteousness2:
You are absolutely on Point.

Vanity has beclouded the sense of reasoning of so many people today. Vanities have become a god to so many people, and it is really very unfortunate and Pathetic.

Personally, Money or vanity is the least thing that makes me admire or respect anyone.
I respect and admire a man or woman who Genuinely knows JESUS Christ, has the Visible Spirit, attributes and Knowledge of GOD.
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by tolajay: 8:21am On Dec 18, 2021
Na wah ooo.

Thanks for reminding me of Nigeria's place in the poverty realm.

MsFaith:
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by isaiah4life(m): 8:42am On Dec 18, 2021
The usage of the term 'money mongers' was to placed emphasis on A person promoting money unpleasantly.

Most of the folks being praised because of their money are aware of these biases, but still promote it.

Paddy my, that's was what I meant. wink

tolajay:
It's a terrible thing.

Age is not barrier to this: both old and young are guilty.

Many people are hypocritical, looking to appear good before those they consider better/richer than them.

This untrue nature of theirs is why they won't be better. You don't MAKE IT by faking it.

By the way, I'm not sure "money-monger" is apt for the description above. Please check the dictionary for that. wink

1 Like

Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by DontBullshitMe: 11:21am On Dec 18, 2021
Money is worshipped everywhere. Not particular to Nigeria. It's a worldwide problem.
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by tolajay: 12:52pm On Dec 18, 2021
Thanks for the clarification.

I get your point now.

Cheers! wink

isaiah4life:
The usage of the term 'money mongers' was to placed emphasis on A person promoting money unpleasantly.

Most of the folks being praised because of their money are aware of these biases, but still promote it.

Paddy my, that's was what I meant. wink

1 Like

Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by higgs: 12:57pm On Dec 18, 2021
Nigerians worship money
Criminals are respected and honoured because they have money.
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by faithfull18(f): 3:52pm On Dec 18, 2021
You are right jare.
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by RepoMan007: 4:53pm On Dec 18, 2021
The painful thing about it all is that, money was meant to facilitate exchange of things and services. What those people are doing is akin to a farmer who adores his tools, equipments and storage facilities to the point he forgers to farm. People now worship money hoping it comes to them magically instead of creating what attracts it.
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by Kobojunkie: 6:35pm On Dec 18, 2021
Righteousness2:

Yet the God of the Bible declared cursed all those who put their trust/adoration in men(flesh and blood) - Jeremiah 17 vs 5 undecided

Also, in the Kingdom of God, even the demons and devils have the visible spirit attributes and knowledge you speak of, so I am not certain you even realize that what you have been bowing to is not even of Jesus Christ who told you instead that by their fruits- obedience or disobedience- you will know them. And as Jesus Christ also said, those who belong to Him are those who submit to and obey His commandments, not the doctrines and traditions of men which are not but lies - Matthew 15 vs 1 - 14 & Mark 7 vs 1 - 13 undecided
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by Kobojunkie: 6:41pm On Dec 18, 2021
MsFaith:
I disagree. Even poor people can recognize wisdom from all the muck that continues to taint the Nigerian existence. Instead, na foolishness cause am abeg!. undecided
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by tolajay: 6:44pm On Dec 18, 2021
I'm interested in knowing how many countries you've lived to come to this conclusion.

Please share your findings and I'll share mine.

DontBullshitMe:
Money is worshipped everywhere. Not particular to Nigeria. It's a worldwide problem.

1 Like

Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by tolajay: 6:45pm On Dec 18, 2021
God bless you for this.

It skipped my thought line while posting.

Money is being abused because many do not understand its purpose.

RepoMan007:
The painful thing about it all is that, money was meant to facilitate exchange of things and services. What those people are doing is akin to a farmer who adores his tools, equipments and storage facilities to the point he forgers to farm. People now worship money hoping it comes to them magically instead of creating what attracts it.
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by tolajay: 6:51pm On Dec 18, 2021
In his defense, poverty as used here isn't the lack of material possessions but of mental and thoughtful thinking.

If so, it'll be akin to foolishness as you've highlighted.

Kobojunkie:
I disagree. Even poor people can recognize wisdom from all the muck that continues to taint the Nigerian existence. Instead, na foolishness cause am abeg!. undecided
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by ThothHermes: 6:04am On Dec 19, 2021
It's not a Nigerian thing. It's a human thing.
Even the Scriptures say that no one listens to a poor man.

A poor man's wisdom is despised and his words are not heard Ecclesiastes 9:16

These words altered my thinking profoundly.

1 Like

Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by sageb: 12:07pm On Dec 19, 2021
tolajay:
Have you ever been respected or disrespected based on what you have or don't have?

In my residential area, I noticed that people greet me in a special way whenever I'm driving, but the degree of enthusiasm drops once I decide to walk.

At the banks and companies, security officers usually give people special treatment because they flaunt car key or affluence. But for "keys in the pocket" crew like me, they look down on us until they realise we have cars too.

In church, some people practically inflate the respect they accord me.

I get pretty worried by such act of ingenuity, low-balling, sycophancy, plastic-humility and money-worshipping.

Needless to say, na poor (mentally and materially) people dey do these things pass. It's sickening.

Too many Nigerians are money-driven and regard people because they have money, regardless of how they get it. This is one of reasons many do/will do anything just to make money.

We have no value for values. No premium for principles. No consciousness for content. No cheering and craving for character.

For one, I detaste being "regarded" for what I have rather who I am and my content and value.

Please share your experience of when people regarded you simply because you possess something.

You said the truth
This is an issue that calls for sober reflection
Re: Money-worshipping: A Major Nigerian-problem by ImaIma1(f): 5:36pm On Dec 19, 2021
And they are quick to address one as "sir" "ma" even if they are obviously older.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Should She Forfeit Her Uk Admission? / My Late Wife's Twin Sister Breaching The Court Order She Won't Let Me See My Twi / Plsssssssss Help Me Is Urgent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.