Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,490 members, 7,816,157 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen (34923 Views)

AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Bans Pinnick From Super Eagles’ Dressing Room / Awoniyi Should Replace Osimhen Not Ighalo – Fans / Taiwo Awoniyi Suffers Concussion, Rushed To Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by shevchenko(m): 8:04pm On Dec 18, 2021
kenzysmith:
That taiwo awoniyi i no trust am he is too handsome 4 afcon football why not go for sadiq or deseiers of feyanood . If nigeria see quater final 4 afcon make i kw wetin cause am. I see cameroun' home advantage' or algeria 'most inform team' winning afcon . Eguavean should make sure he cashout bigtime because this might be his last chance to collect bribe.

Kai u get mouth .Olenu bi popopopo
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by msughdoo: 8:06pm On Dec 18, 2021
Sadiq Umar is better than Paul Onuachu. Onuachu is mostly useless.

paulolee:

awonoyi lost ur trust bcoz he is too handsome for AFCON meaning na players like bance dey score for AFCON abi?
we should go for sadiq umar in spanish league 2 to head our AFCON attack wen other countries are coming with d likes of mane, sallah, haller, el nesri etc.
comrade u would mk a good super eagles coach o
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by msughdoo: 8:09pm On Dec 18, 2021
2nd Division in Spain is better than 1st Division in Belgium.

justosee:

Why is he not playing for a club in the top tier of the football league system?
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by GeneralDae: 8:23pm On Dec 18, 2021
Kriss216:

You're right.

He chose finished Ighalo and rusty Musa over these young bloods.
Sacking Rohr was a great decision. The man was terrible with team selection.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by GeneralDae: 8:24pm On Dec 18, 2021
Emperormartin:

Musa will still make the team even under Eguaveon. In fact lemme burst your bubble; musa will go to the World Cup if Nigeria qualifies.

See eh there’s sth you guys don’t understand about Musa; he’s not there on merit; he’s representing the northern region whose numbers in the National team are becoming slimmer on each new day…
Must you bring tribe into everything? Na wa o, una matter dey tire person sometimes. When you go to the Western World, Oyinbo doesn't know or even care to know who is Hausa, Yoruba, or Igbo.
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by GeneralDae: 8:36pm On Dec 18, 2021
barcaboi:

Man brought okoye and some others; the man wasn’t that bad.
Do you think Okoye is the best we can offer?
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by GeneralDae: 8:38pm On Dec 18, 2021
FalseProphet1:

You're right...

Same was the case with Garuba lawal until he retired, and the crazy thing was that lawal was making the fist 11 starting line up, despite the fact that there was nothing special about him.

The North will always want a representative in the super eagles.

This I have seen.
Lawal was a utility player. Utility players are rare to find and would always be favoured by coaches.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by Ghostmode2two(m): 8:42pm On Dec 18, 2021
robosky02:
If na one coach...

[Taiwo] Awoniyi and [Emmanuel] Dennis.”
E be like say I know the coach sha. Na yeye guy jare. Make he park hin load and go

Will never smell AFCON
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by SmartyPants(m): 8:53pm On Dec 18, 2021
Emperormartin:

Musa will still make the team even under Eguaveon. In fact lemme burst your bubble; musa will go to the World Cup if Nigeria qualifies.

See eh there’s sth you guys don’t understand about Musa; he’s not there on merit; he’s representing the northern region whose numbers in the National team are becoming slimmer on each new day…

The notherners are actually increasing though most Nigerians dont know that certsin players like Moses Simon, Jamilu Collins are northerners
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by Kirkman: 8:53pm On Dec 18, 2021
kenzysmith:
That taiwo awoniyi i no trust am he is too handsome 4 afcon football why not go for sadiq or deseiers of feyanood . If nigeria see quater final 4 afcon make i kw wetin cause am. I see cameroun' home advantage' or algeria 'most inform team' winning afcon . Eguavean should make sure he cashout bigtime because this might be his last chance to collect bribe.
And na group of death we get for that AFCON.
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by gwinaB(m): 9:11pm On Dec 18, 2021
Emperormartin:

He is the team's captain, they can't drop him like that. Even with injury and loss of form, Stephen keshi went to both Tunisia 94 and usa 94. It's the traditional with the national team
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by FalseProphet1(m): 9:16pm On Dec 18, 2021
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by FalseProphet1(m): 9:17pm On Dec 18, 2021
femi4:
Garba Lawal was there on merit.

Go back and watch Atlanta 96 and Nig vs Spain in 98. Lawal is always helping in the defense
That goal he scored against Spain was the fault of the goal keeper, the ball wasn't even on target zubizareta just hit it inside the net.

In Atlanta 96, most of our squad were young and fit, so it was expected of him to perform.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by greypencils: 9:52pm On Dec 18, 2021
What's the status of Villareal's Danjuma? I wonder if he is eligible to play for Nigeria.
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by optimusprime2(m): 10:15pm On Dec 18, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

Was there a system in place under Rohr?

Supposing Rohr was still coach, can you guess his first 11 at AFCON 2022?

We know he would take the error-prone Ekong along, and the lazy Balogun. We know he would take Musa along, and Ighalo.

It is not like Rohr would win AFCON for us. So, why are you people worried that we are changing coaches at the last minute?

Since we are never going to win the AFCON, Eguaveon can enjoy some liberty. Who knows, we may even win the AFCON.

But certainly, we would never win the AFCON with Rohr as coach.

Yes he had a system. To be honest Rohr was not the best of coaches, but he always stuck to a system. He just used the wrong players for his system and I think NFF is partly to blame for wrong player selection, for instance, Musa's inclusion. (I know his constant inclusion is just an NFF ploy)

Rohr stuck with a flexible back three, which is why Troost Ekong and Balogun are his go to center backs.

You may call Balogun lazy, but here are some quick facts about Balogun;
He is Nigerias most versatile center back currently- (he can play on the right, left and center)

He has the best aerial duel results for any super eagles central defender since match stats started recording.

Asides being a CB, His is also a Sweeper defender, with good distribution... once again Leon is versatile

He speaks fluent German, (he was mostly the translator for Rohr and the team).

Unfortunately because he is 33, he is not as rapid, nevertheless he is still a good CB.

Ekong on the other hand is a pretty solid defender, I think he will get better with time.

Awaziem completes the trio with his versatility, he is the second most versatile defender on the eagles line up, so I really am a fan of the back three. I have no problems with Okoye as the keeper, he is very ok.

The mid feild is pretty decent if Ndidi is in form(doing what he does best at DM) and Iwobi handles creativity.

However, the issue with this current super eagles is the attacking combination ... everything is wrong there, lemme explain;

There are two important systems we need to observe in a three attack formation;

1-Bayern Munich front three with Lewandowski as a traditional 9,
And
2-Chelsea's front three using a false 9.

First issue; Rohr uses the Bayern Munich system and Rohr deployed Oshimen as a traditional 9, which is funny because Oshimen is not a traditional 9, he is a wide forward like Mbappe, who is best fitted with a roaming role. However he tried to fill in the traditional 9 role- which of course means you won't get the best out of Oshimen (being a traditional 9 requires a player to play with his back to goal) which is what Ighalo is very good at and Oshimen is not.

I feel if Rohr was to get the best out of the attack he had, he should have played a false 9 system and dropped Musa for Pete's sake, allowing Osimhen, Iheanacho, and a faster winger like Ejuke or Chukwueze to circulate. Oshimen would be unstoppable in this system.(something like what Chelsea does with Werner, Pulisic and Havertz). Now this can still be done easily.

Second issue; Onuachu is a very good target man, which is what Rohr wanted, but if you put him when Oshimen is still hot, who do you drop, Oshimen??

Rohr's system requires a traditional 9 of which Paul Onuachu is a direct replacement for Oshimen and Dessers a good backup for Oshimen. Which was the case when Oshimen had a previous injury.

That was Rohr's biggest problem which is why he brought Ighalo back, to have Oshimen also on the feild with a traditional 9.

Now as per the system potentially being changed;

Introducing Awoniyi and Dennis now, means Eguaveon is likely changing the entire system, because Dennis is a forward like Oshimen and Awoniyi is a traditional 9. So including two of such players when Iheanacho and Onuachu are already there, and especially in a situation where Dessers was the spare man, tells the intention of playing with two strikers. Which was not the previous system. Meaning time is needed to adapt to a new system- for years, the players were all fitted to a 5 2 3 why switch now, essentially when the world Cup is at hand??

To be honest I am even tired.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by jrusky(m): 10:18pm On Dec 18, 2021
kenzysmith:

Haahaha u bad oo wallahi abeg Eguavon offended you?
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by slimghost(m): 11:03pm On Dec 18, 2021
The coach is a mad man! Dennis should be a starter in that team.
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by slimghost(m): 11:04pm On Dec 18, 2021
greypencils:
What's the status of Villareal's Danjuma? I wonder if he is eligible to play for Nigeria.

Plays for Holland.
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by Gval123: 2:18am On Dec 19, 2021
If Eguavoen nor loyal to those politicians, they go sack, even a day to the tournament.
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by EndBuhariNow(m): 4:17am On Dec 19, 2021
Emperormartin:

they should also bring Lawal to make up the number... mumu people
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by femi4: 5:21am On Dec 19, 2021
FalseProphet1:

That goal he scored against Spain was the fault of the goal keeper, the ball wasn't even on target zubizareta just hit it inside the net.

In Atlanta 96, most of our squad were young and fit, so it was expected of him to perform.
Your focus was on the goal not his defensive ability. He was a versatile player that played positions like left wing back, centre and left midfielder, especially when Nigeria switch from defense to attack and vise versa
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by Temi2468: 5:37am On Dec 19, 2021
kenzysmith:

Imagine!
When will this country ever get better? cry
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by FalseProphet1(m): 5:57am On Dec 19, 2021
femi4:
Your focus was on the goal not his defensive ability. He was a versatile player that played positions like left wing back, centre and left midfielder, especially when Nigeria switch from defense to attack and vise versa
Oliseh was more of a utility player on that defensive midfield than him.

The duo of taribo and okechukwu provided a very powerful defensive wall. And babayaro who played left back overlapped and played 11 as well. So our left wing was covered.

That's why he (lawal) was always very silent on the pitch except maybe when he's fouled or when he fouls a player.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by femi4: 6:55am On Dec 19, 2021
FalseProphet1:

[s]Oliseh was more of a utility player on that defensive midfield than him.
[/s]
The duo of taribo and okechukwu provided a very powerful defensive wall. And babayaro who played left back overlapped and played 11 as well. So our left wing was covered.

That's why he (lawal) was always very silent on the pitch except maybe when he's fouled or when he fouls a player.
Oliseh? Oliseh never played in the wing. Lawal was nick named "Mr dependable" cos of his ability to adapt to different formation as the matches progresses.

Oliseh wasn't in the starting 11 of the Olympic team. Whenever Babayaro/Udeze overlapped,
Lawal stayed behind. Go and watch Mali 2002, he made more interception than Oliseh in the opening match.
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by vickydevoka(m): 7:33am On Dec 19, 2021
Emperormartin:

Exactly.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by vickydevoka(m): 7:33am On Dec 19, 2021
kenzysmith:

Ighalo n awaziem way handsome pass am nko
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by Wasky101: 7:46am On Dec 19, 2021
Lamasta:

There is some sense in what you just typed cool
Where is the sense in what he typed. Everything is not northerner agenda. Why do the northerns live y'all head rent free
It is common knowledge that players pay there way into the team. Show me 3 more players in the super eagles that has deeper pockets than musa.
That aside this musa guy is a big game player for super eagles. Always turns up when the stakes are high. Having someone like that in the team sometimes can be a bonus but no everything is northern agenda
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by Lamasta(m): 11:12am On Dec 19, 2021
Wasky101:

Where is the sense in what he typed. Everything is not northerner agenda. Why do the northerns live y'all head rent free
It is common knowledge that players pay there way into the team. Show me 3 more players in the super eagles that has deeper pockets than musa.
That aside this musa guy is a big game player for super eagles. Always turns up when the stakes are high. Having someone like that in the team sometimes can be a bonus but no everything is northern agenda
You are right cool
Re: AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Names Taiwo Awoniyi, Emmanuel Dennis To Replace Osimhen by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:16am On Dec 19, 2021
optimusprime2:

Yes he had a system. To be honest Rohr was not the best of coaches, but he always stuck to a system. He just used the wrong players for his system and I think NFF is partly to blame for wrong player selection, for instance, Musa's inclusion. (I know his constant inclusion is just an NFF ploy)

Rohr stuck with a flexible back three, which is why Troost Ekong and Balogun are his go to center backs.

You may call Balogun lazy, but here are some quick facts about Balogun;
He is Nigerias most versatile center back currently- (he can play on the right, left and center)

He has the best aerial duel results for any super eagles central defender since match stats started recording.

Asides being a CB, His is also a Sweeper defender, with good distribution... once again Leon is versatile

He speaks fluent German, (he was mostly the translator for Rohr and the team).

Unfortunately because he is 33, he is not as rapid, nevertheless he is still a good CB.

Ekong on the other hand is a pretty solid defender, I think he will get better with time.

Awaziem completes the trio with his versatility, he is the second most versatile defender on the eagles line up, so I really am a fan of the back three. I have no problems with Okoye as the keeper, he is very ok.

The mid feild is pretty decent if Ndidi is in form(doing what he does best at DM) and Iwobi handles creativity.

However, the issue with this current super eagles is the attacking combination ... everything is wrong there, lemme explain;

There are two important systems we need to observe in a three attack formation;

1-Bayern Munich front three with Lewandowski as a traditional 9,
And
2-Chelsea's front three using a false 9.

First issue; Rohr uses the Bayern Munich system and Rohr deployed Oshimen as a traditional 9, which is funny because Oshimen is not a traditional 9, he is a wide forward like Mbappe, who is best fitted with a roaming role. However he tried to fill in the traditional 9 role- which of course means you won't get the best out of Oshimen (being a traditional 9 requires a player to play with his back to goal) which is what Ighalo is very good at and Oshimen is not.

I feel if Rohr was to get the best out of the attack he had, he should have played a false 9 system and dropped Musa for Pete's sake, allowing Osimhen, Iheanacho, and a faster winger like Ejuke or Chukwueze to circulate. Oshimen would be unstoppable in this system.(something like what Chelsea does with Werner, Pulisic and Havertz). Now this can still be done easily.

Second issue; Onuachu is a very good target man, which is what Rohr wanted, but if you put him when Oshimen is still hot, who do you drop, Oshimen??

Rohr's system requires a traditional 9 of which Paul Onuachu is a direct replacement for Oshimen and Dessers a good backup for Oshimen. Which was the case when Oshimen had a previous injury.

That was Rohr's biggest problem which is why he brought Ighalo back, to have Oshimen also on the feild with a traditional 9.

Now as per the system potentially being changed;

Introducing Awoniyi and Dennis now, means Eguaveon is likely changing the entire system, because Dennis is a forward like Oshimen and Awoniyi is a traditional 9. So including two of such players when Iheanacho and Onuachu are already there, and especially in a situation where Dessers was the spare man, tells the intention of playing with two strikers. Which was not the previous system. Meaning time is needed to adapt to a new system- for years, the players were all fitted to a 5 2 3 why switch now, essentially when the world Cup is at hand??

To be honest I am even tired.

Your understanding of football is way above mine, so I will humbly learn a thing or two from it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Matthijs De Ligt Scores Own Goal In His First Start For Juventus / Fabio Lanipekun Is Dead / Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.