Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,297 members, 7,815,522 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! (1209 Views)

MTN Announces 7-hour Service Downtime For System Upgrade / MTN Nigeria Compensates Subscribers For Network Downtime / Mtn Downtime; Is Mtn Working Well In Your Location? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! by AndroidMagic(m): 10:40pm On Dec 18, 2021
On Saturday, 9th October 2021, at about 2pm, there was a nationwide downtime on the MTN network.

It caught me, surprisingly and shocked many Nigerians.

Folks couldn't keep quiet so they voiced out on social media. Some users weren't smiling, some were crying, others were restless.

And this roller-coaster of emotions was swinging, especially in the hearts of those who only have one MTN line.

I could only imagine the glee in the hearts of GLO, Airtel & 9Mobile over the downtime of their rival.

A good selling point for them and a big reminder of the first, hot lesson for me!

In some situations, never put all your eggs in one basket!

What if the basket falls and all your eggs,
break?

As an MTN user, if I didn't have a GLO line as my backup, I wouldn't have been able to communicate with my audience during that downtime!

And don't just stop with having a backup number.

Have someone, perhaps your neighbor or colleague, with an alternative line you can easily use for something urgent, in the event of a downtime.

Also, secure an external WIFI modem if you can.

Don't rely only on the USSD banking codes for your airtime, data & funds-transfer transactions.

Shuffle between using your mobile banking app, when you have data and the USSD codes when you don't have data.

When your primary network, fails you, you can easily log into your bank app, with data from your backup line, someone else's line or a WIFI modem, to initiate your bank transactions.

Have more than one bank account, tied to at least two different numbers.

In Nigeria, a downtime can occur, not just with mobile service providers, but even in banks.

So, it's advisable to have at least two active bank accounts, so if one fails to respond when you want to carry out an urgent transaction, you can fall back on the next.

And of course, try not to link the same number to different bank accounts, if you have more than one phone line.

If one number gets down, stolen or missing, you can rely on the second number for your USSD bank transactions, especially.

In conclusion, the most important lesson I learnt is to have more than one registered mobile number, in your name!

You never know what could happen tomorrow. So, don't put all your eggs in one basket!

Let's Make Magic!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! by JohnBorder(m): 10:48pm On Dec 18, 2021
Well said.

But not everyone using MTN experienced the downtime because people like me never experienced it.

If it was the Facebook and WhatsApp 5-6 hrs downtime that one affected everybody.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! by meobizy(f): 11:15pm On Dec 18, 2021
No. I can’t say I remember this happening.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! by JohnBorder(m): 12:02am On Dec 19, 2021
meobizy:
No. I can’t say I remember this happening.

grin

My dear it happened but not every mtn user was affected unlike me I wasn't affected.

1 Like

Re: 3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! by Kirkman: 5:32am On Dec 19, 2021
I had a good laugh seeing the frustration on the faces of MTN users. Have more than 1 line. E get why. I didn't feel it at all because i was using their rivals network. grin

1 Like

Re: 3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! by AndroidMagic(m): 7:53am On Dec 19, 2021
JohnBorder:
Well said.

But not everyone using MTN experienced the downtime because people like me never experienced it.

If it was the Facebook and WhatsApp 5-6 hrs downtime that one affected everybody.

True!

You were lucky not experiencing it, dear. Those who did and had no backup line, faced a lot of stress oo.
Re: 3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! by AndroidMagic(m): 7:54am On Dec 19, 2021
Kirkman:
I had a good laugh seeing the frustration on the faces of MTN users. Have more than 1 line. E get why. I didn't feel it at all because i was using their rivals network. grin

A smart one, you are, bro.. grin

1 Like

Re: 3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! by AndroidMagic(m): 9:13am On Dec 19, 2021
Tell me. 

How do you feel when you subscribe to your regular 1-month data plan and before you know it, gets exhausted in less than 2 weeks or even 5 days? 

Chai!

Imagine paying twice or even thrice in a month for a subscription plan that is meant to last for 30 days.

Now, I understand there is a lot the average Nigerian now does online, which consume way more data. 

However, I feel you shouldn't spend so much to have more especially if you're on a tight budget. Don't you think?

Well, the good news is that I figured out a way to spend as little as N1k to enjoy as much as 4GB of data, through a month!

That means I can spend N2k to get 8GB within that time! And you too can!

It's legit! However, this hack, which I packaged into a simple video tutorial, is only applicable to MTN users!

And you can get it alongside more than 20 other amazing video hacks! 

Check my signature for more info!
Re: 3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! by Mercury12(m): 1:48pm On Dec 19, 2021
E be like it is only me that didn't notice Mtn network was down. I use data and make calls.
The last time it happen I didn't notice that too. Lol

1 Like

Re: 3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! by AndroidMagic(m): 3:10pm On Dec 19, 2021
Mercury12:
E be like it is only me that didn't notice Mtn network was down. I use data and make calls.
The last time it happen I didn't notice that too. Lol

Obviously, you were among the lucky group of subscribers who didn't smell the downtime.. grin
Re: 3 Hot Lessons I Learnt During The 6-Hour MTN Downtime, In Nigeria! by AndroidMagic(m): 9:33am On Jan 06, 2022
It's 2022!

A new year! And it promises to be quite a transformational year for those who are open-minded to learn and keen to apply!

Follow me and my NL threads for there are more hack updates, up my sleeves.

Keep your fingers, crossed!

A happy new year, fellow Nairalanders!

(1) (Reply)

Iphone Xsmax 64gb (little Crack On Screen) 150k (sold) / Oppo A93 For Sale / Redmi 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.