Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers (21411 Views)

Federal College Of Dental Technology, Enugu Enugu, Enugu State. / House Of Representatives To Arrest Father Edeh, Madonna University VC / Students, Nursing Mother Win At Adeleye Foundation Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by thatigboman1: 8:26am On Dec 22, 2021
Pierocash:
most medical schools don't admit married women. Though the rule for some institutions have been relaxed ,but some still upholds that rule
that's discrimination. Direct discrimination even.
Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by Chinny024(f): 9:14am On Dec 22, 2021
TONYE001:

Never knew this was a thing in nursing school.

For medicine, people are quite free to get pregnant.

I wonder why the authorities don't allow pregnancy while schooling though. It makes no sense to me.

It's serious then..
Many people could not marry because of that law...

2 Likes

Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by postmann: 11:08am On Dec 22, 2021
Pierocash:
that is the rule.

No medical student is permitted to get pregnant while on study. Even after graduation ,you must work for some number of years before considering getting pregnant

Your submission is strange. What rule forbids students of tertiary institutions from getting pregnant?

1 Like

Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by Ghostmode2two(m): 11:26am On Dec 22, 2021
dettolgel:

You come to school with your baby to disturb other students that are trying to learn. Your child will start crying and you will distract other students. Some student that are early to class instead sitting comfortably to learn they will be guilt into learning their seat for the young mother.

This is not adult education, if you have a baby leave it at home or send the baby to creche don't be selfish. How many of working in the private sector have you seen going to work with their babies?

As for pregnant student I am not so sure why the school took that position unless some students are using it as an excuse to get a free pass from doing their academic work. Or maybe student accommodations were not designed to cater for expectant mother and might not only endanger such mothers but may also expose the school to legal cases.

I am not in support of young mothers taking their babies to the lecture theaters (LT) and staying living school Halls of residence. I don't think it's right for the school authority to just outrightly frown at those pregnant or with babies. What if this set of students live off camps and come only to receive lectures, what's bad in it. Equally it won't be right for female lecturers who are pregnant to be coming to give lectures as well.

1 Like

Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by NobleAngell(f): 12:15pm On Dec 22, 2021
Pierocash:
that certain things happened and no consequence doesn't make it admissible. Though some institutiona have some waiver on that. But a little Google search could have solved your ignorance
Just ask yourself, why should I Google it when I'm surrounded by people who can confirm how false your claims are?

1 Like

Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by Yankee101: 1:35pm On Dec 22, 2021
Wrong on so many levels
Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by dettolgel: 1:55pm On Dec 22, 2021
Ghostmode2two:

I am not in support of young mothers taking their babies to the lecture theaters (LT) and staying living school Halls of residence. I don't think it's right for the school authority to just outrightly frown at those pregnant or with babies. What if this set of students live off camps and come only to receive lectures, what's bad in it. Equally it won't be right for female lecturers who are pregnant to be coming to give lectures as well.

I understand the human angle but I doubt if this was a new rule. The problem is that in this country we like breaking rules or in most cases we don't event ask around or try to find out what the rules were. Whenever we get caught we start seeking for sympathy and faring ignorance.

For pregnant students I would assume that being a medical student might expose them to some health risks than would studying a non medical course (from my experience about nursing students some are to be on their feet most times of the day and are required to be at patient sides at least I have witnessed that in European universities. I doubt if a pregnant student is going to keep up).

Bringing babies on campus not only distracts but opens the school up for law suits. There is a reason why creche exists.

About being ignorant of the law. In my uni days, security arrested a student in school for using his horn around lecture area. The student said he didn't know he was not allowed to and other students were like just pity him is it not this one time. The security operative told him it was his responsibility to look the rule before bringing a car into the campus.

My dear the truth is that we Nigerians take a lot of things for granted and we are self centered when it comes to taking the comfort of others into consideration.
Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by Ghostmode2two(m): 5:25pm On Dec 22, 2021
thatigboman1:
that's discrimination. Direct discrimination even.
serious discrimination. What's wrong with a pregnant woman who wants to further her studies? We were all given birth to by women . We have wives and babes

1 Like

Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by Ghostmode2two(m): 5:30pm On Dec 22, 2021
dettolgel:

I understand the human angle but I doubt if this was a new rule. The problem is that in this country we like breaking the rule or most cases we don't event ask around or try to find out what the rules were. Whenever we are caught we start seeking for sympathy and faring ignorance.

For pregnant students I would assume that being a medical student might expose them to some health risks than would a studying a non medical course (from my experience about nursing student some at to be on their feet most times of the day and are required to be at patient sides at least I have witnessed that in European universities. I doubt how a pregnant student is going to keep up).

Bringing babe on campus not only distracts but opens the school up for law suits. There is a reason why creche exists.

About being ignorant of the law. In my uni days security arrested a student in school for using his horn around lecture area. The student said he didn't know he was not allowed to and other students were like just pity him is it not this one time. The security operative told him it was his responsibility to look the rule before bringing a car into the campus.

My dear the truth is that we Nigerians take a lot of things for granted and we are self centered when it comes to taking the comfort of others into consideration.
Understood but the rules have to register for some amendments to be made. What if the young mother was married before she got admission and the course of her study she got pregnant and had a baby? You know going for deferment in Naija schools is so different especially public ones.
Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by dettolgel: 6:09pm On Dec 22, 2021
Ghostmode2two:

Understood but the rules have to register for some amendments to be made. What if the young mother was married before she got admission and the course of her study she got pregnant and had a baby? You know going for deferment in Naija schools is so different especially public ones.

I agree deferment is tough but a times it is better to play by the rules before person use you shine
Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by Gravatar: 8:15pm On Dec 22, 2021
prophetfire:
So dentals aren't medical field again? Are you from Mars?

Lol, another ignorant fellow

You mentioned "dentals", who are these "dentals"?

No dey display your ignorance for outside, bros

As you no wan Google, or you no get data for Google, make I spoonfeed you

Nothing concern Dental technologists with medicine. Zero. Dental technologists simply design braces and other fixtures used in the mouth for various conditions.

Dentists, on the other hand, are trained medical doctors who specialize in oral health.

Dental surgeons are the same as dentists. The degree dentists receive is a BDS. Bachelor of Dental Surgery.

Oral surgeons are dentists who further specialize in advanced mouth and surrounding operations and procedures.

"Medical student" as traditionally and commonly used, has no relationship with "dental technology".

1 Like

Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by Pierocash(m): 7:22am On Dec 23, 2021
NobleAngell:
Just ask yourself, why should I Google it when I'm surrounded by people who can confirm how false your claims are?
don't worry, until one becomes victim of the violation,then u will realise you were only been fortunate
If we have told those ones in this Enugu institution about this earlier,they would have argued like u
Re: College Of Dental Technology Enugu To Arrest Pregnant Students, Nursing Mothers by NobleAngell(f): 9:57am On Dec 23, 2021
Pierocash:
don't worry, until one becomes victim of the violation,then u will realise you were only been fortunate
If we have told those ones in this Enugu institution about this earlier,they would have argued like u
Victim of what exactly? Pls just let it rest.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Deplorable State Of A School In Enugu Despite Allocation Of N30M For Classrooms / UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands / Complete Timetable For The May/june 2018 WASSCE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.