Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari (20168 Views)

Senate To Override President Buhari’s Veto On Two Bills / Electoral Act: NASS Plans To Override President Buhari This Week - Sen Olujimi / 49 Senators Sign Against Saraki, Ekweremadu’s Impeachment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Metrix147: 7:10pm On Dec 21, 2021
Following the decision of President Muhammadu Buhari to decline assent to the 2021 Amended Electoral Bill, 81 out of 109 Senators on Tuesday indicated interest to veto the President.

ABN TV had brought you a report that the Senate dissolved into a closed session at 1:57 pm on Tuesday to discuss the reasons given by the President for declining his assent the 2010 Electoral Act (amendments) Bill 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uWdFQ4V6-Y
The president, in a letter to the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, cited insecurity and the cost of conducting direct primaries in political parties, as his reasons for rejecting the bill.

The letter was read out by Mr Lawan at the start of plenary on Tuesday.

In the bill, passed by the National Assembly in October, the lawmakers passed that political parties should adopt direct mode of primaries in choosing candidates for elective offices.

This provision had stirred rift between the lawmakers and governors – who disagreed with the idea of direct primaries.

The lawmakers were about to consider and pass the 2022 budget when Mr Sekibo asked that the Senate goes into an executive session to discuss the president’s veto.

“I want to call this Senate to go into a closed-door session to discuss the president’s letter today, “he said.

The lawmaker said it is important that they discuss the issue and decide the next line of action before embarking on Christmas break.

Source: https://abntv.com.ng/2021/12/after-rejection-of-assent-to-2021-electoral-bill-81-senators-decide-to-override-buhari-video/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Augustinecedar: 7:14pm On Dec 21, 2021
If it's in the interest of the masses, then fully supported. But I see Baba playing a smart one here. They will eventually play into his plans of not being targeted for signing it

21 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Baawaa(m): 7:16pm On Dec 21, 2021
I don't know why the northerners don't want to support the bill

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 21, 2021
Until otherwise, they remain rubber stamp.

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by seunmsg(m): 7:21pm On Dec 21, 2021
81 senators? How true is this report? It would be very interesting if truly the current Senate can override the president on this. In addition, can they get the required number in the house of reps?

If I’m not mistaken, the last time the president’s veto was override was during the passage of the offshore/onshore dichotomy bill and that was during the Obasanjo administration. Interesting days ahead.

16 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by slivertongue: 7:21pm On Dec 21, 2021
Impossible! Not those toothless zombie

7 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Agbegbaorogboye: 7:24pm On Dec 21, 2021
What are the names of the 81?
That we may put them in Nigeria's honour roll.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Blue3k(m): 7:26pm On Dec 21, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:
What are the names of the 81?
That we may put them in Nigeria's honour roll.

They'll have to go on record eventually. Lol they can't hide behind voice votes this time.

6 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Befulfilled(f): 7:30pm On Dec 21, 2021
We are watching this.
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by JAMO84: 7:54pm On Dec 21, 2021
President Buhari is on his own on this one.

I support the Senate to override him immediately.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 7:56pm On Dec 21, 2021
Baawaa:
Kardashians are fake

8 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Dapson73(m): 7:57pm On Dec 21, 2021
Baawaa:

Governors and Malami are against the bill and not an ethnic issue,just the power that be.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by chrisxxx(m): 8:01pm On Dec 21, 2021
I support for once since 2011 Buhari on this. The EL should be amended to include parties having the choice of which mode of primary they desire. Once this is done Buhari should sign

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by JOemmy(m): 8:13pm On Dec 21, 2021
chrisxxx:
I support for once since 2011 Buhari on this. The EL should be amended to include parties having the choice of which mode of primary they desire. Once this is done Buhari should sign

The real issue here is the electronic transmission of results buhari and his supporters are scared of it.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Militant30: 8:23pm On Dec 21, 2021
The fear of Buhari is beginning to fade away like the stars of the morning.

The only problem now is that the brown teeth of Lagos still think He will be president of Nigeria not knowing that Nigerians are ready to give him the beating of his life on election day.

Nonsense Obojo eye grin grin grin grin

29 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by nairavsdollars(f): 8:26pm On Dec 21, 2021
Who born dem well?

2 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by chrisxxx(m): 8:42pm On Dec 21, 2021
JOemmy:

The real issue here is the electronic transmission of results buhari and his supporters are scared of it.
We know. But since he never mentioned him being the clever person he has always been let us add or remove what he mentioned and pass the bill.

5 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by jlinkd78(m): 8:47pm On Dec 21, 2021
Noted
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by CSTRR: 9:39pm On Dec 21, 2021
I trust the saraki Senate to do that, not this rubber stamp.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by chrisblack: 2:17am On Dec 22, 2021
JOemmy:

That's not the issue.
Some of you can't seem to read the plain reasons in political issues. It boils down to leverage. Direct primaries afford a candidate the opportunity to test is or her popularity directly without being subjected to the influence of power brokers.the senators are in support because they feel there governor's have an undue influence and control over their nominations or ticket. While the power brokers feel that indirect primaries are needed for consensus and better being able to present a candidate acceptable to all. Both sides have their advantages and also their disadvantages.
But in this particular aspect. It's all about 2023.
Tinubus group needs the direct primaries for him to stand a chance. While his opponents needs the Indirect primaries to finish him totally

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by AchalugoNwa(f): 2:58am On Dec 22, 2021
Tinubu urchins hypocrisy stinks

now they're longing for an independent senate
now they're praying for independent national assembly just because the dead political ambition of their god Tinubu is in danger cheesy
Hahahaha
Same people hailing the rubber stamp senate as the best ever are now wishing it was Saraki cheesy
funny sets of urchins and criminals.
I don't like Buhari but I love the way he's teaching these brown teeth drug lord and his urchins gworo and tuwo politics grin

moral lessons: be careful how you support evil because it might be your turn one day

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by helinues: 6:47am On Dec 22, 2021
AchalugoNwa:
Tinubu urchins hypocrisy stinks

now they're longing for an independent senate
now they're praying for independent national assembly just because the dead political ambition of their god Tinubu is in danger cheesy
Hahahaha
Same people hailing the rubber stamp senate as the best ever are now wishing it was Saraki cheesy
funny sets of urchins and criminals.
I don't like Buhari but I love the way he's teaching these brown teeth drug lord and his urchins gworo and tuwo politics grin

moral lessons: be careful how you support evil because it might be your turn one day

We still dey buy bucket of tears oo

17 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by bascadb: 8:44am On Dec 22, 2021
good news
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Ifesinachi22(m): 8:44am On Dec 22, 2021
Electronic Transmission is yes for me.

Direct Primary should be choice of the political parties to make.

I'm keenly watching this space like a hawk

7 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by LibertyRep: 8:45am On Dec 22, 2021
81 in private.

When it comes to actual voting in the full glare of the camera, the number will reduce to an inconsequential status. All it takes is to dust their files with the EFCC.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by BarrElChapo(m): 8:45am On Dec 22, 2021
undecided
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by pinatash: 8:46am On Dec 22, 2021
I don't trust these senators
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by ityP(m): 8:46am On Dec 22, 2021
chrisxxx:

Me too. I support the useless president for once. It's the democratic thing to do. I'm keenly watching sha. The NASS don't have the balls to veto the president

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Listen To Your Wife, Reps Tell Buhari- Vanguard / ‘£117m Properties Linked To Ibori' In UK To Be Seized By UK Government / Insecurity: Northern Elders Hail Sultan For Speaking Truth To Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.