Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,915 members, 7,835,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari (20186 Views)

Senate To Override President Buhari’s Veto On Two Bills / Electoral Act: NASS Plans To Override President Buhari This Week - Sen Olujimi / 49 Senators Sign Against Saraki, Ekweremadu’s Impeachment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by nzeobi(m): 11:29am On Dec 22, 2021
respect80:

For the issue of direct primaries being easy to manipulate. It's not as you think because the votes for direct primaries will only be casted by registered and card carrying members of each political party.
The questions that are left to be answered now include
1.will it now become the responsibility of the masses to be registered members of all the political parties out there?
2.If yes, does the bill make provisions to actualize such, especially the time, financial aspect and the will of the masses to strive to become a registered and a card carrying member of all the political parties out there?
3.If no, how do they plan to achieve this because for instance, an individual may be a registered member of PDP and prefers to vote for a PDP governorship candidate but may prefer to vote for an APC senatorial candidate. How can such individual participate in the process of voting at the primary stages of election?

After given this a thought, I feel that if there's no provision for individuals to be a registered member of all the political parties out there so as to be able to participate in the election process of an individual to be the flag bearer of each political party then things should be left the way they are. parties should be allowed to decide between direct or indirect primaries for themselves.
Another alternative I thought of is for INEC to make provision on the ballot paper where individuals can express their choice by indicating that they are not interested in any of the candidates provided by the political parties contending for a position and if such vote turns out to win the majority, then such election should be declared null and void and the candidates involved be disqualified. cheesy
The masses shouldn't be left to choose between demon and Satan all the time cheesy

Your article is long but let me give some hints.

What stops a man who gives delegates 3 million each to vote him from paying and inducing party members during direct primaries.

In a Case where there are reports of manipulations or outright falsification of results as noticed in all direct primaries conducted so in Nigeria what will happen.

Since direct primaries cannot hold in some wards in Nigeria today cos of insecurity what becomes the faith of party members in that ward.

How can you hold an election without knowing the number of people that are expected to vote

2 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Esji80(m): 11:33am On Dec 22, 2021
Baawaa:
I don't know why the northerners don't want to support the bill
which northerners again ? You never heard of northerners saying KATO-BAYAN KATO OR YAR TIKE that is DIRECT PRIMARY.

simply say the GOVERNORS DONT SUPPORT DIRECT PRIMARY.

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Doyin2(m): 11:35am On Dec 22, 2021
Parties should adopt online voting,to checkmate the excuse of cost and insecurity.
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Deadlytruth(m): 11:36am On Dec 22, 2021
tunapawizzy:

the north is the beneficiary of everthing that is wrong with the structure of this country....until u got a southern president with balls...forget electoral bill, forget true federalism

Obasanjo with all his balls as president from the South didn't believe in restructuring in the first instance. He thwarted all efforts and rebuffed all calls for restructuring. Same with Jonathan another Southern president.

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by leokid866: 11:45am On Dec 22, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:
Yeah. That's what Tinubu brigands say. I guess Amaechi left PDP right?
you obviously did not watch the proceedings of that day so no point arguing with you.
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by backbone503(m): 11:45am On Dec 22, 2021
JOemmy:

The real issue here is the electronic transmission of results buhari and his supporters are scared of it.

And that was why it was smuggled into the Electoral Bill to give Buhari a good reason to reject the bill. Its all power play. Politicians are really smart people
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by yemex04(m): 11:46am On Dec 22, 2021
samdaisi:

They'll have to go on record eventually. Lol they can't hide behind voice votes this time.
My brother those guys are fighting for themselves most especially 2023 because they don't want governors to determine their faith in politics not that they have our love on their hearts,
Nigeria politicians are wicked and terrible

Governors have actually been holding the parties to ransom by pocketing the state working committees thereby impeding the supremacy of the political parties which is not good for democracy.I am with the senate on this even if they are doing it for their on survivals.

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by asunmoGGMU(m): 11:54am On Dec 22, 2021
nzeobi:

What stops a man who gives delegates 3 million each to vote him from paying and inducing party members during direct primaries.

In a Case where there are reports of manipulations or outright falsification of results as noticed in all direct primaries conducted so in Nigeria what will happen.

Since direct primaries cannot hold in some wards in Nigeria today cos of insecurity what becomes the faith of party members in that ward.

How can you hold an election without knowing the number of people that are expected to vote

Thank you. Most people don't think before making submission. Direct primary will be porous and strenuous for our democratic climate.
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Deadlytruth(m): 12:00pm On Dec 22, 2021
samdaisi:

They'll have to go on record eventually. Lol they can't hide behind voice votes this time.
My brother those guys are fighting for themselves most especially 2023 because they don't want governors to determine their faith in politics not that they have our love on their hearts,
Nigeria politicians are wicked and terrible

If direct primaries would not let the governors decide their fate in 2023 and beyond, it follows that the party members (the people) will decide their fate meaning they want their fate to now be decided by the people. So how exactly does that amount to them fighting for their selfish interest? I don't get it.

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Shenky(m): 12:02pm On Dec 22, 2021
JAMO84:
President Buhari is on his own on this one.

I support the Senate to override him immediately.

Do you even understand the reasons he cited?? Try and be objective and seek knowledge
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Deadlytruth(m): 12:06pm On Dec 22, 2021
All I see here is that the similar kind of excuses given for rejection of restructuring and state police, eg lack of funds, abuse of it, etc; are being given now for the rejection of direct primaries and funny enough some folks who don't welcome such excuses in the debate about restructuring seem to welcome them now in the face of direct primary which actually is an element of restructuring. Isn't it now clear that Nigerians don't really know what exactly they are asking for?

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by respect80(m): 12:19pm On Dec 22, 2021
nzeobi:

Try to understand my point. I'm not in support of direct primaries at this point, but I'm only trying to tell you that direct primaries would have been better if the resources were available and affordable with the current economic state of the nation.
The man who gives 3 million naira each to maybe 100 delegates to vote him in indirect primary may be needing 1 or 2 billion naira to distribute to individuals in other to make any significant difference in the case of direct primaries instead of 300 million if indirect primary is used.
All in all, I would suggest that the main focus of this electoral bill should be to make provision for the the actualization of successful electronic transmission of results.
Once the FG is able to fund and actualize the successful and hitch free electronic transmission of results, it will be very easy to make amendments for direct primaries.
Lastly, only individuals who are registered and card carrying members of a political party will be allowed to vote in such elections. So, it will become mandatory for political parties to have a database for their registered members which they will have to submit to INEC.
The only controversy now will be that, what will be the fate of individuals who may be interested in more than one political party?
Would they have to become registered members of every political party they are interested in so as to be able to participate in the election of flag bearers at the primary stages of elections?
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 12:42pm On Dec 22, 2021
[quote author=Agbegbaorogboye post=108718027]

I don't need to send you a link. Saraki said it when he met with Buhari and the presidency never denied it.
That said. like I told you, this is just like 2018 when senators wanted the senatorial election to hold before the presidential election so that they gain an advantage by the President's political fate being tied to theirs. Remind me how that ended.
Lawan senate will not. You should understand Nigerian politics by now. If they will, the plenary yesterday would have shown signs. Don't worry. I will concede to your infantile request. If the Senate overrides Buhari then Lawan is the best Nigerian Senate President ever!! Even better than Nnamani. But you should also accept that if he does not, then the senate is a rubberstamp and Lawan is the worst Senate President ever!! Even worse than Adolphus Wabara. Are you game?
Tell me what he has done better than Saraki.eleections?
Was the apology before or after the elections? 2018 scenario is completely different from this.in 2018,buhari was involved personally,his 2nd term was on the line.this is not the case now.buhari on his own would have signed that bill if not for pressure from governors and saraki.you yourself claimed that buhari prefers an independent legislature therefore he will be reluctant to act.except the senate does not convene this week or a last minute compromise is reached,that veto will happen.

I personally dont believe that lawan is rubber stamped.the senate doesn't have to be constantly atvwar with the presidency to achieve separation of powers.lawan opposes when necessary and approves when necessary similar to how David mark ran the senate.even melaye yesterday In an interview said that the nass does not have to be friends or enemies with the executive....

Lawan passed the contentious pib bill that has lingered for years.saraki suspended any dissenting senator inspite of court orders.I have never seen lawwan suspending abaribe or any other noisy lawmaker that opposes him.lawan has kept the executive and his colleagues happy in one fell swoop something saraki could not do
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by GistFullGround: 1:31pm On Dec 22, 2021
"Ghana must go" bags loading...
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Jackson105: 2:38pm On Dec 22, 2021
AchalugoNwa:
Tinubu urchins hypocrisy stinks

now they're longing for an independent senate
now they're praying for independent national assembly just because the dead political ambition of their god Tinubu is in danger cheesy
Hahahaha
Same people hailing the rubber stamp senate as the best ever are now wishing it was Saraki cheesy
funny sets of urchins and criminals.
I don't like Buhari but I love the way he's teaching these brown teeth drug lord and his urchins gworo and tuwo politics grin

moral lessons: be careful how you support evil because it might be your turn one day

You must Link Tinubu to every news, the man must be tormenting you in your dream, Tinubu is not the reason for your failure and poverty
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Jackson105: 2:42pm On Dec 22, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:
This battle is bigger than Tinubu

He won't win

And if Tinubu pushes his luck too far, we go open him file

See who is talking, Nairaland keep giving hopeless individual voice, go and open it now, you will stay in your cave in Anambra and just open mouth wah! Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Jackson105: 2:46pm On Dec 22, 2021
nzeobi:

I agree with some of the things you said. But stop believing that direct primaries allows the candiates to test their popularity in the Nigerian context cos it's more fraudulent and easy to manipulate cos you don't know the number of people that will be voting.
Look at what Ahmed gulak did in IMO State.
Look at the primaries APC conducted in anambra and osun state.

You rather prefer the ones where some people can elect delegate that will be voting? If I can elect those that can vote, what is the need for voting then, because they will surely do my bidding
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by tunapawizzy: 2:51pm On Dec 22, 2021
Deadlytruth:

Obasanjo with all his balls as president from the South didn't believe in restructuring in the first instance. He thwarted all efforts and rebuffed all calls for restructuring. Same with Jonathan another Southern president.
Both of them messed up, no northerner is gonna do it, none in this life. OBJ was too focused on 3rd term, Jonathan? i dont even want to talk about that one

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Oghighirhighi: 3:09pm On Dec 22, 2021
Please I need a referee to come and explain the difference between direct and indirect kick.
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Badonasty(m): 3:53pm On Dec 22, 2021
Senate no gree rubber stamp again ooo
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by nzeobi(m): 4:08pm On Dec 22, 2021
Jackson105:

You rather prefer the ones where some people can elect delegate that will be voting? If I can elect those that can vote, what is the need for voting then, because they will surely do my bidding

Am sure you don't know how delegates for primary election emerge
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Jackson105: 6:35pm On Dec 22, 2021
nzeobi:

Am sure you don't know how delegates for primary election emerge

Please, enlighten me
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by DenreleDave(m): 12:44pm On Dec 26, 2021
Almightyprosper:
Most of you out should try and understand the concept of this news before picking a side [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Check ur mail. I replied

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Throwback Video Of Obasanjo Appreciating Tinubu's Achievements as Governor. / Ministerial Appointments: Tinubu Not Fair To Igbos – Segun Showunmi / Breaking! Economic Activities Crippled In Anambra As Fuel Price Rise To ¥250

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.