Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay (10656 Views)

10 Benefits Of 2023 Electricity Act Bill Signed By President Tinubu / Disquiet As Buhari Declines Assent To Electoral Act Bill / Why Buhari Refused To Sign Electoral Act Bill - Keyamo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by nairavsdollars(f): 8:23pm On Dec 21, 2021
Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) on Tuesday said President Muhammadu Buhari averted a huge disaster over his refusal to assent to the Electoral Act Amendment Bill.

He also said the National Assembly will be making a huge mistake if they tried to override the President by passing the bill into law through two thirds majority vote.

Speaking with Daily Independent, Sagay said imposing direct primaries on all political parties is dangerous and could threaten the future of Nigeria’s democracy if passed into law.

That will be a huge mistake to try to override him over a disaster that he just averted. I don’t think we should become suicidal into trying to carry out something that will obviously fail and plunge our democracy down the cliff”.

“So, Buhari on this particular issue has reflected very deeply and has given very concrete reasons on why the idea of direct primaries is absolutely unacceptable, dangerous and even could threaten the future of our democracy and the country”.

Sagay advised the national assembly to remove the direct primaries clause and then send back the bill to the President for assent so that other good things in the electoral bill such as electronic transmission of results can become law.

“ I agree with him on why he declined assent to the bill. The national assembly has to go back now and remove that particular provision and send it back for assent, so that we can retain all the electronic transmission of results that the bill contains, including the new system of accrediting voters and so on”.

https://independent.ng/electoral-act-bill-buhari-averted-a-major-disaster-in-nigeria-by-declining-assent-sagay/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by eyenogoquiet(m): 8:55pm On Dec 21, 2021
Guys where lai "the lion" Mohammed nd malami go nw. ??
Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by Nobody: 8:56pm On Dec 21, 2021
Ibo
Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by hisexcellency34: 9:06pm On Dec 21, 2021
Jakpa
eyenogoquiet:
Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by HallaDaTruth: 9:13pm On Dec 21, 2021
Buhari is trash
Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by Maxymilliano(m): 9:13pm On Dec 21, 2021
If Buhari wants to be a lifetime President, I'm 100% sure that this current useless and impotent NASS will pass it into law even before the letter gets into the hallowed chambers.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by hisexcellency34: 9:18pm On Dec 21, 2021
Agreed. The current nass and rubberstamp are like
Maxymilliano:
If Buhari wants to be a lifetime President, I'm 100% sure that this current useless and impotent NASS will pass it into law even before the letter gets into the hallowed chambers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by Nwaelohim: 9:23pm On Dec 21, 2021
Nigerian are so narrow minded that they won't see things from the perspective of the president concern. But will abuse the president.. things are not as they appear to average eyes. Thanks to the the president and his advisers. One step at a time. Some of the things politicians are bringing out Nigeria is not mature for it

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by slivertongue: 11:01pm On Dec 21, 2021
There’s been this exaggerated expectation that direct primaries is going to provide all answers to whatever electoral challenges that we have faced. And we all know that that is false. Direct primary has its own challenges. Indirect primaries have its own challenges. A consensus approach is also not without challenges, but options should be provided. And whether governors are happy or not, it’s really immaterial to governors whether it’s direct or indirect.”

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by uncleck: 11:11pm On Dec 21, 2021
One thing I know for sure is that most government business is all about the politics and nothing more.
Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by Sholaco: 11:13pm On Dec 21, 2021
Hahahahahaha when pdp was in power the party and it president should have introduced the direct primary..is it now their eyes just opening grin

1 Like

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by slivertongue: 11:15pm On Dec 21, 2021
Nwaelohim:
Nigerian are so narrow minded that they won't see things from the perspective of the president concern. But will abuse the president.. things are not as they appear to average eyes. Thanks to the the president and his advisers. One step at a time. Some of the things politicians are bringing out Nigeria is not mature for it

On this Buhari has my support. We came from direct primary to indirect because of the inherent challenges, such as lack of valid party register, financial implications etc. If we failed to properly use indirect primary which is done in a location &with specific number of delegates, is it direct with many venues & party members that will be transparent? Nigerians should becareful oo hmm. Coup detat

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by HabaHaba: 11:17pm On Dec 21, 2021
Na lie!

Buhari jas NEVER thought well for. Himself (apart from marrying very beautiful Aisha), talk more of thinking well for Nigerians.

Does he even know what is Direct primaries?

What does he really know?!!!

Nathing!!!

As usual, the hungry Prof (Senior Assvocate of Nigeria) is talking for his plates to always be full.
Chikenan!
Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by slivertongue: 11:18pm On Dec 21, 2021
Sholaco:
Hahahahahaha when pdp was in power the party and it president should have introduced the direct primary..is it now their eyes just opening grin

PDP used direct primary in it earliest elections before moving over to indirect. Direct primary is good but in our present situation it's an invitation to anarchy

2 Likes

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by Horbar1: 11:18pm On Dec 21, 2021
Direct or indirect na person wey get money pass dey collect party ticket for Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by treatise: 11:18pm On Dec 21, 2021
The monies(bags and tons) exchanged during indirect primaries are weightier than those expenses that are associated with direct primaries. This is a case of "tyranny of a minority". Interests of a few are being protected.

5 Likes

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by Melvis100(m): 11:20pm On Dec 21, 2021
Direct primaries will eliminate godfatherism abit and reduces the way sitting governors and presidents inpose flag bearers on the people through bribing the selected few delegates. Often times Nigerians are left between the devil and the deep blue sea.. Like buhari VS atiku

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by treatise: 11:21pm On Dec 21, 2021
HabaHaba:
Na lie!

Buhari jas NEVER thought well for. Himself (apart from marrying very beautiful Aisha), talk more of thinking well for Nigerians.

Does he even know what is Direct primaries?

What does he really know?!!!

Nathing!!!

As usual, the hungry Prof (Senior Assvocate of Nigeria) is talking for his plates to always be full.
Chikenan!

Buhari's knowledge of direct primaries is akin to economic exigencies of a railway linking Niger Republic with Nigeria. Buhari is an accident of history.

7 Likes

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by HabaHaba: 11:32pm On Dec 21, 2021
treatise:

Buhari's knowledge of direct primaries is akin to economic exigencies of a railway linking Niger Republic with Nigeria. Buhari is an accident of history.

GBAM!!!!
See perfect description of the gross mass mistake!

Accident of History.

Added to my Vocabulary pocket now.

Thanks bro.

4 Likes

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by snowball11(m): 11:40pm On Dec 21, 2021
Dis one self na professor of law? undecided

Rubbish! grin
Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by Nobody: 12:09am On Dec 22, 2021
cheesy See what Bubu come do enn undecided

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by treatise: 12:16am On Dec 22, 2021
HabaHaba:

GBAM!!!!
See perfect description of the gross mass mistake!

Accident of History.

Added to my Vocabulary pocket now.

Thanks bro.
My pleasure bro. It's quite unfortunate that we're in this mess.
Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by Odidigboigbo(m): 1:05am On Dec 22, 2021
Sholaco:
So it was PDP that introduced the Direct primaries?
Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by Odidigboigbo(m): 1:09am On Dec 22, 2021
slivertongue:

PDP used direct primary in it earliest elections before moving over to indirect. Direct primary is good but in our present situation it's an invitation to anarchy
PDP has never used direct primaries since their formations, the primary that produced OBJ in 1998 was delegate election conducted in Jos.

1 Like

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by Holydrone: 1:51am On Dec 22, 2021
I'm fed up of living but I'm scared of dying. I have given up and I can't do nothing to help my life. I have been evicted from my house and I have nowhere to go because I couldn't raise the 48,000 to renew the health.

I'm fed up because I have 2 kids that are finding the new reality unbearable and I decided to take them to my in-laws place pending when I will be able to get myself together and retrieve my luggage from the friends that managed to let me have it with them. I lost my Security Job at a government institution, they downsized and unfortunately I'm one of the victims.

I need help from conscientious parents on this platform to raise whatever little sum so I could be able to rent a room and hopefully work on getting a better job next year. Now I'm at your mercy, please help my condition in anyway you can. I will appreciate your gesture.. 070.683775.41

UbA...
Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by micflo28(m): 2:39am On Dec 22, 2021
eyenogoquiet:
they are cooking lie beats. E never ready

1 Like

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by AchalugoNwa(f): 3:26am On Dec 22, 2021
more tears for Tinubu urchins

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by opalu: 3:30am On Dec 22, 2021
Hmm
Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by Pennywise(m): 4:07am On Dec 22, 2021
Direct primaries will remove apathy that Nigerians have towards the electoral process. A small percentage of Nigerians cannot be allowed to keep destroying this nation
Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by persius555(m): 4:47am On Dec 22, 2021
Nigerians will never be allowed to choose their preferred leader. Look back and see all the leaders that have been imposed on Nigerians.
They have all turned out to be failures. The worst of the societies.
Delegating the duty to choose who becomes the leader of a country like Nigeria to a few elites is equal to political highway robbery.
All these excuses about inflated cost of direct primary is balderdash.
Nigerians will never have the opportunity to choose their preferred leaders.

2 Likes

Re: Electoral Act Bill: Buhari Averted A Major Disaster By Declining Assent - Sagay by Randy111(m): 5:00am On Dec 22, 2021
A president that threw the country into generation financial debt, worst inflation since I was born. Nigeria has never known insecurity as we know it now. What other disaster is such president averting again by declining assent because me no understand oo

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Katsina Govt Donates 9 APCs To Aid Fight Against Banditry / Only The Blind Will Say Tinubu Has Failed – Matawalle / Former Ogun Guber Candidate, GNI Dumps PDP - New Telegraph

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.