Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,215 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi (2041 Views)

Jibrin: NNPP/LP Alliance Is South-East's Best Chance Of Producing President / Umahi: I'll Feel Bad If APC Denies Igbos Chance Of Producing President In 2023 / How South East Lost Out In $93b Foreign Investments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by Move2(m): 7:32am On Dec 22, 2021
First of all, let me take you back to history. Ndigbo lost a bright chance of producing the president of Nigeria in 1979. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe called me in April 1978 and told me as his field man in his time to go back to Nigeria and tell them that he wanted to come back to politics. I went to Lagos, I contacted Shehu Shagari and asked him how do we work together to get this done? Shagari summoned two other people from the North; Shetima Ali Monguno and Sunday Awoniyi from Kwara State. Then I went with Azubuike Okafor and Dennis Osadebe. We were holding meetings in Lagos at the residence of Shehu Shagari and I was reporting to Zik until we eventually agreed on a platform – National Party of Nigeria (NPN); that Zik will be the presidential candidate, while Shagari will be his running mate. So, I came back and reported to Zik and he said ‘that’s good, you know it is the emirs in the North who determines; are you sure they will not knock it off ? So, I went back to Lagos and told Shagari this is the fear of the old man. He said of course we were in consultation with the emirs. Then the following week, the Sultan of Sokoto sent the Emir of Zaria to Zik at Nsukka that the entire emirs in the North are in support of what the politicians are planning. Again, Zik said ‘what about the soldiers? The soldiers may take up the government again if I run.’ I asked him: ‘Owelle, if they kill you now, did they kill you early?’ I went back to Lagos and told Shagari that this is what Zik is saying about the army. Shagari asked: ‘Does that man really want to be president? Okay, I will get in touch with the army, come back in the evening, we will have dinner.’ That evening, I went back to his house in Victoria Island and Theophilus Danjuma came. Danjuma was the Chief of Army Staff then. So, the three of us had dinner and Shagari told Danjuma about the fear Zik expressed. Danjuma said ‘no, no, no, but this is the real man we want, this the type of person that we want that will bind this country together. I can’t go to Nsukka because if I go back to Nsukka the press will catch me. Alright, go back and tell Zik that I am going to Calabar on Saturday to Army Sports and I will make a speech at the Army Sports and in this speech I will send a message to him.’ On that day, Danjuma went to Calabar and made a speech. He said: ‘I am reassuring the nation that the army is ready to hand over finally to civilian government and return to barracks but they must warn that the person they will handover to must be an elder-binding person in this country, will not be a person who will come and cause trouble again, must be a true father of the nation.’ Suddenly, Jim Nwobodo lost nomination with Onoh in the party and went back to Nigerian Peoples Party (NPP) and told Zik, dump whatever arrangements, come to NPP, NPP is our own party, Igbo party, we will put you in government. Suddenly, Zik changed mind, he changed mind and made announcement that a plan for his birthday in November 1978 in Enugu is cancelled and it was that day he was to be presented to the nation. A motion to be moved by Maitama Sule from Kano to be seconded by Anthony Enahoro from the West, then I will speak last from the East. I went back to him on the 17th of November and asked Zik what happened and he told me ‘Jim came to me that I should go back to my people and I don’t want to go to a party where Adisa Akinloye will be the national chairman and I don’t want to belong to the same party with K.O. Mbadiwe because of what Mbadiwe did to me.’ In my book, in which I wrote the history of Nigeria, you will see where I said ‘Zik made Jim Nwobodo governor and unmade himself president.’ So, that was what happened. In that birthday party that was aborted, Osadebe came, it was aborted and he went to Zik’s house but they did not allow him to see Zik. They told him Zik was sick. He started going back and had accident at night mile corner and got paralyzed till he died. Mojeed Agbaje from Ibadan, a close associate of Adegoke Adelabu came for the party at Enugu and it was aborted. He went to Nsukka to see Zik and he was told that Zik was not feeling fine and he couldn’t see anybody. On his way back he had accident and died, four of them in his car died at Ore and that was how we lost the opportunity of becoming the president and the party went and nominated Shagari. Then on the 13th of January, 1978 at Kwara State Hotel, we were in campaign tour and Shagari was to announce his running mate, so, he called me in the hotel with Akinloye the national chairman and told me that he has selected me to be his running mate. I told him thank you very much. I said as a sincere man, I can see myself for a lower position when Zik is running against me, I can’t run against Zik, I can’t run an election to defeat Zik, Igbo people will not forgive me and my children will not be able to explain it. So, I nominated Alex Ekwueme to be the running mate. That was how we had the opportunity we had. Again, during this Fourth Republic, Ekwueme ran and the same Jim Nwobodo ran to the North again and betrayed Ekwueme at the Jos convention when the Peoples Democratic Party PDP was selecting its presidential candidate; the same Jim Nwobodo.

https://independent.ng/how-south-east-lost-the-chance-of-producing-nigerias-president-in-1979-amaechi

2 Likes

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by iSpitonYourGrav: 7:34am On Dec 22, 2021
shocked
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by NoFucksToGive: 7:36am On Dec 22, 2021
[s]
Move2:

First of all, let me take you back to history. Ndigbo lost a bright chance of producing the president of Nigeria in 1979. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe called me in April 1978 and told me as his field man in his time to go back to Nigeria and tell them that he wanted to come back to politics. I went to Lagos, I contacted Shehu Shagari and asked him how do we work together to get this done? Shagari summoned two other people from the North; Shetima Ali Monguno and Sunday Awoniyi from Kwara State. Then I went with Azubuike Okafor and Dennis Osadebe. We were holding meetings in Lagos at the residence of Shehu Shagari and I was reporting to Zik until we eventually agreed on a platform – National Party of Nigeria (NPN); that Zik will be the presidential candidate, while Shagari will be his running mate. So, I came back and reported to Zik and he said ‘that’s good, you know it is the emirs in the North who determines; are you sure they will not knock it off ? So, I went back to Lagos and told Shagari this is the fear of the old man. He said of course we were in consultation with the emirs. Then the following week, the Sultan of Sokoto sent the Emir of Zaria to Zik at Nsukka that the entire emirs in the North are in support of what the politicians are planning. Again, Zik said ‘what about the soldiers? The soldiers may take up the government again if I run.’ I asked him: ‘Owelle, if they kill you now, did they kill you early?’ I went back to Lagos and told Shagari that this is what Zik is saying about the army. Shagari asked: ‘Does that man really want to be president? Okay, I will get in touch with the army, come back in the evening, we will have dinner.’ That evening, I went back to his house in Victoria Island and Theophilus Danjuma came. Danjuma was the Chief of Army Staff then. So, the three of us had dinner and Shagari told Danjuma about the fear Zik expressed. Danjuma said ‘no, no, no, but this is the real man we want, this the type of person that we want that will bind this country together. I can’t go to Nsukka because if I go back to Nsukka the press will catch me. Alright, go back and tell Zik that I am going to Calabar on Saturday to Army Sports and I will make a speech at the Army Sports and in this speech I will send a message to him.’ On that day, Danjuma went to Calabar and made a speech. He said: ‘I am reassuring the nation that the army is ready to hand over finally to civilian government and return to barracks but they must warn that the person they will handover to must be an elder-binding person in this country, will not be a person who will come and cause trouble again, must be a true father of the nation.’ Suddenly, Jim Nwobodo lost nomination with Onoh in the party and went back to Nigerian Peoples Party (NPP) and told Zik, dump whatever arrangements, come to NPP, NPP is our own party, Igbo party, we will put you in government. Suddenly, Zik changed mind, he changed mind and made announcement that a plan for his birthday in November 1978 in Enugu is cancelled and it was that day he was to be presented to the nation. A motion to be moved by Maitama Sule from Kano to be seconded by Anthony Enahoro from the West, then I will speak last from the East. I went back to him on the 17th of November and asked Zik what happened and he told me ‘Jim came to me that I should go back to my people and I don’t want to go to a party where Adisa Akinloye will be the national chairman and I don’t want to belong to the same party with K.O. Mbadiwe because of what Mbadiwe did to me.’ In my book, in which I wrote the history of Nigeria, you will see where I said ‘Zik made Jim Nwobodo governor and unmade himself president.’ So, that was what happened. In that birthday party that was aborted, Osadebe came, it was aborted and he went to Zik’s house but they did not allow him to see Zik. They told him Zik was sick. He started going back and had accident at night mile corner and got paralyzed till he died. Mojeed Agbaje from Ibadan, a close associate of Adegoke Adelabu came for the party at Enugu and it was aborted. He went to Nsukka to see Zik and he was told that Zik was not feeling fine and he couldn’t see anybody. On his way back he had accident and died, four of them in his car died at Ore and that was how we lost the opportunity of becoming the president and the party went and nominated Shagari. Then on the 13th of January, 1978 at Kwara State Hotel, we were in campaign tour and Shagari was to announce his running mate, so, he called me in the hotel with Akinloye the national chairman and told me that he has selected me to be his running mate. I told him thank you very much. I said as a sincere man, I can see myself for a lower position when Zik is running against me, I can’t run against Zik, I can’t run an election to defeat Zik, Igbo people will not forgive me and my children will not be able to explain it. So, I nominated Alex Ekwueme to be the running mate. That was how we had the opportunity we had. Again, during this Fourth Republic, Ekwueme ran and the same Jim Nwobodo ran to the North again and betrayed Ekwueme at the Jos convention when the Peoples Democratic Party PDP was selecting its presidential candidate; the same Jim Nwobodo.

https://independent.ng/how-south-east-lost-the-chance-of-producing-nigerias-president-in-1979-amaechi
[/s]
NIGERIANS DONT CARE WHERE THE NEXT PRESIDENT COMES FROM AS LONG AS HE ISNT HAUSA / FULANI
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by tamdun: 7:38am On Dec 22, 2021
Always scheming, wants to be Naija president from abroad, that's how he ran abroad and claimed he knew nothing about 1966 coup, he was busy enjoying himself while other regional leaders were being butchered... Zik is the undisputed coward/backstabber on earth, awolowo offered him real power but he preferred ceremonial(useless) one from his fulani masters, imagine a whole Zik running to shagari for...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by QueenAgbo(f): 7:38am On Dec 22, 2021
Hmmm.
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by helinues: 7:39am On Dec 22, 2021
Life Sha

Those who are one of the 3 majority tribes in Nigeria ,who supposed to be directing the minority tribes on what to do are now in the position of sweeping the palace floor.

What went wrong?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by chatinent: 7:40am On Dec 22, 2021
I am glad I didn't read that.
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by sweetonugbu: 7:41am On Dec 22, 2021
Ok
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by BigSarah(f): 7:42am On Dec 22, 2021
Osadebe was real and Jim was fake
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by Gbagura: 7:43am On Dec 22, 2021
How a major group turns a laughing stock of everyone is amazing. They are now looking for survival and relevance through blackmail, insults and sentiments.

Isn't that awesome?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by BigSarah(f): 7:44am On Dec 22, 2021
Gbagura:
How a major group turns a laughing stock of everyone is amazing. They are now looking for survival and relevance through blackmail, insults and sentiments.

Isn't that awesome?

You didn't read
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by Gbagura: 7:45am On Dec 22, 2021
BigSarah:

You didn't read
Where do you even stand? You're neither there nor here. Wana for you oo
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by Penguin2: 7:46am On Dec 22, 2021
Why always Jim Nwobodo?

But Zik messed up by leaving an already worked out master plan for whatever primordial sentiment.

I think the forces against Nigeria’s progress always wins.

And I don’t know why?
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by Nobody: 7:47am On Dec 22, 2021
It will be easier for a Japanese to become the president of Nigeria, than an Igbo man

They have sowed too much hate, that’s germinating

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by helinues: 7:48am On Dec 22, 2021
NoFucksToGive:
[s][/s]

mukina2 seun

derailing home page rule 1

Please what exactly is the problem? How is this my comments derailing from the topic?

Mods should ban you instead for breaking the rule you are accusing others for
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by Tinubuadvocate: 7:49am On Dec 22, 2021
Who is that ameachi hope not this current minister under Buhari?
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by Paretomaster1(m): 7:50am On Dec 22, 2021
NoFucksToGive:
[s][/s]
NIGERIANS DONT CARE WHERE THE NEXT PRESIDENT COMES FROM AS LONG AS HE ISNT HAUSA / FULANI

What happened to Hausa being President At least Igbo had it before..... Did any Hausa rule as President before

Besides, the article outline the betrayal, and Tribalistic nature of the Flatr**ons , who h is still their undoing till date...

Anyway, SW had it already, be it Tinubu or Osinbajo

2 Likes

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by Paretomaster1(m): 7:51am On Dec 22, 2021
helinues:
Life Sha

Those who are one of the 3 majority tribes in Nigeria ,who supposed to be directing the minority tribes on what to do are now in the position of sweeping the palace floor.

What went wrong?

Greed, Tribalism, Nepotism...
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by helinues: 7:54am On Dec 22, 2021
Paretomaster1:

Greed, Tribalism, Nepotism...

The problem is they are not seeing things the way others are seeing. All those others can't be wrong.

1 Like

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by naptu2: 7:59am On Dec 22, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
Who is that ameachi hope not this current minister under Buhari?

naptu2:
OK, I'll try and tell the story from memory. I apologise for any errors, it's been a really long time since I heard Chief Amaechi tell the story.

I think the incident happened sometime around 1959. Political leaders like Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, Sir Ahmadu Bello, Chief Obafemi Awolowo and Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa were going to have a meeting with the governor general, Sir James Robertson at State House, Marina in Lagos.

There was a large crowd of people on Marina Street. They were waiting to catch a glimpse of the leaders. There were also some party men and other supporters on the street. They had arrived earlier, but they were not allowed into the State House compound, so they stood on the street, waiting for the leaders to arrive. One of the people on the street was Mbazulike Amaechi, a member of the NCNC.

Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's convoy was approaching, but there was something else that caught Chief Mbazulike's attention. He noticed a very suspicious looking man on the street. Dr Azikiwe was in a convertible and as his car got closer, the suspicious looking man took something out of his robe and began moving towards the car.

Mbazulike Amaechi dashed towards the man and held him and then a struggle began. Chief Mbazulike called on the soldiers (that always stood guard outside State House) to assist him, but they didn't move (they were focused on guarding the compound). Luckily, Chief Mbazulike saw a policeman that he knew. The policeman was an Igbo man and Chief Mbazulike shouted his name. It was the policeman that helped Chief Mbazulike to subdue the man.

(I can't quite remember for sure, but I think the man had taken some sort of knife or dagger out of his robe and he and Chief Amaechi had been struggling for it before the policeman came to help).

Later, someone (I can't remember who) presented Mbazulike Amaechi to Dr Azikiwe and told him that this was the person that caught the suspected assassin. Dr Azikiwe said, "The boy is good" and that's how the nickname stuck.

naptu2:
[size=14pt]Nelson Mandela's first visit to Nigeria after being released from prison (May 14th, 1990).[/size]

It is a year since South African legend, Neslon Mandela died, so we take a look at his first visit to Nigeria after he was released from prison in 1990.

ANC Vice President, Nelson Mandela was released from prison on February 11th, 1990. He went on a thank you tour of countries that had supported the anti-apartheid struggle. This, of course, included Nigeria, which had provided funds, training and sanctuary to the ANC. Mr Mandela had stayed in Nigeria in 1962. He lived in the home of Chief Mbazulike Amaechi (The Boy Is Good) at the request of Chief Nnamdi Azikiwe (the Governor General of Nigeria and Chief Mbazulike's leader in the NCNC). Dr Mandela met with Mbazulike Amaechi and Azikiwe in 1990, to thank them for their assistance.

First Republic minister of Aviation, Chief Mbazulike Amaechi.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 8:01am On Dec 22, 2021
Interesting write up. Zik is the major reason why Nigeria didn’t break up in the 50s when the North and West wanted to go their separate ways. Besides according to the write up Osadebe and Adegoke who had gone to celebrate with Azikiwe died in an accident on their way back home since the party didn’t hold. Infact Adegoke died in Ore with four other people. Is it a coincidence or what ?. Omo Naija politics don dey bloody tey tey oo
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by History555: 8:06am On Dec 22, 2021
How would lgbo produce the president when this was first election after the war, even awo who contested no reach anywhere. Rubbish thread

1 Like

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by helinues: 8:07am On Dec 22, 2021
naptu2:

Legend Naptu, Respect.. Anything related to Nigeria history, give it to them..

cheesy
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by Tinubuadvocate: 8:08am On Dec 22, 2021
Alright bro thank you for the revelation.
naptu2:

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by Emergingnation2(m): 8:09am On Dec 22, 2021
helinues:
[s]Life Sha

What went wrong?
helinues:

The problem is they are not seeing things the way others are seeing. All those others can't be wrong.
Gbagura:
Where do you even stand? You're neither there nor here. Wana for you oo[/s]
Lol

We ain't interested in your useless presidency that never help anyone..... We are for the Actualization of our dear country called Biafra...

Igbo is the Rock holding this contraption . We'll pull out and it will scatter..... No tribe will be willing to share thesame country with the Quote system people up north, including their beloved Afonja to void being Annihilated...

2 Likes

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by Tinubuadvocate: 8:09am On Dec 22, 2021
This story is telling us that igbo don't destiny for Nigeria president.

2 Likes

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by tsdarkside(m): 8:11am On Dec 22, 2021
politics is dirty....
but its the only way to dont fall into complete anarchy....
Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by helinues: 8:13am On Dec 22, 2021
Emergingnation2:
Lol

We ain't interested in your useless presidency that never help anyone..... We are for the Actualization of our dear country called Biafra...

Igbo is the Rock holding this contraption . We'll pull out and it will scatter..... No tribe will be willing to share thesame country with the Quote system people up north, including their beloved Afonja to void being Annihilated...

What's stopping you guys from pulling out?

Is anyone holding you?

Engage with me without repeating your as usual lines

1 Like

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by tsdarkside(m): 8:16am On Dec 22, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
This story is telling us that igbo don't destiny for Nigeria president.

its strange how they jump sides soo quick....
bow down to somebody like cownunu....??

what the fvck was that about....
which formidable people would bow down to somebody like cownunu....??

british people didnt bowed down to him,why igbos....??
that realy confused me.... undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: How South East Lost The Chance Of Producing President In 1979-amaechi by Tinubuadvocate: 8:18am On Dec 22, 2021
Igbo people about to answer the call of their slave master again. They preferred a northern man emerge Nigeria president in 2023 than a Yoruba their enemie become Nigeria president.
tsdarkside:

its strange how they jump sides soo quick....
bow down to somebody like cownunu....??

what the fvck was that about....
which formidable people would bow down to somebody like cownunu....??

british people didnt bowed down to him,why igbos....??
that realy confused me.... undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari, Jonathan, Sambo Attend Anyim Pius Anyim’s Birthday Party / Osun NURTW Chairman, Armed Thugs Arrested Amidst Gunshots In Osogbo / Video. Winners Youths Performs Obidient And Yusuf In Winners Chapel Int'l HQ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.