Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,223 members, 7,953,842 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:43 AM

Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu (9785 Views)

Count Me Out Of Arms Deal Scandal — Saraki / Tinubu, Aregbesola, Fayemi & Ambode At Awolowo Family For Condolence (pix) / Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by adejoro75: 1:04am On Jun 15, 2011
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/june/15/national-15-06-2011-002.html
Attack on Awolowo family: Count me out -Tinubu
•Former gov writes HID
By AKEEB ALARAPE
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Tinubu
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

After a week of media bashing, former Governor of Lagos State and Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) national leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has written the spouse of the late sage, Chief Mrs.HID Awolowo, saying he had no hand in the media attack on the Awo family.
A statement signed by Tinubu’s Chief Press Secretary (CPS), Olakunle Abimbola, said: “I wish to assure Mama that I cannot disparage the Awo family without disparaging the legacy that all of us proudly embrace and are trying to sustain,” Tinubu wrote in his letter, dated June 9, 2011.

Tinubu was writing on the controversy that has trailed the piece entitled, “Awo Family without Awo”, written by Sam Omatseye, Chairman, Editorial Board of The Nation, on June 6 viewed by many to be critical of the Awolowo family. Many have also claimed the article was a “sponsored” attack on the Awolowos.

But Tinubu, in the letter, said he found such linkage strange, since every newspaper has its own editorial policy, independent of any person’s relationship with the paper.
“Anybody with knowledge of how newspapers work knows every newspaper has its editorial policy, most times independent of even the publisher.

“So, how can I possibly be behind the opinion of a columnist, simply because he writes for a newspaper, which I am associated with?” the former governor explained.
He said even, Papa Awolowo, publisher of the Tribune while alive, always told people that he read articles in the Tribune, like other readers, since the paper had its editorial policy.

“The sage, Chief Awolowo himself used to say that he read articles in the Tribune like any other reader, despite that he was the publisher. The same principle applies here,” he explained.
Tinubu said though Tribune had been demonizing his person, it would be wrong of him to assume that Mama Awolowo, as publisher of the Tribune, was behind the attack. He said the same principle held in the Omatseye piece because the columnist was known to hold strong views which he expresses every Monday.

He said: “It is common knowledge that Tribune, almost every day, demonizes my person. But should I because of that claim that Mama, as Chairman of the newspaper, was behind the demonization? Of course, I feel disheartened by it all; but I have never felt Mama was responsible for stories Tribune published”.
Tinubu reiterated his respect and affection for Mama Awolowo and her offspring, adding that that was not about to change.
“I have absolutely no need to cause Mama any heartache in her old age. All I want for her is to be happy. I assure her of my love and reverence; and affection for her family.”

Mr. Omatseye had, Monday June 6, 2011 written a piece in his column entitled: Awo Family without Awo, where he lamented the absence of members of the Awolowo family at the inauguration ceremonies of newly-elected governors of Ogun and Oyo states.
The article, which was regarded as offensive and castigating to the Awo family, has generated reactions from Awolowo’s spouse, core Awoists and cross-section of Nigerians who accused Omatseye of playing the script of Tinubu as the publisher of The Nation newspaper.

Notable Nigerians like revered retired Anglican Bishop Bolanle Gbonigi, has also reacted against the offending article while Tribune has since commenced media war against Tinubu culminating in the publication of the former governor’s controversial foreign account numbers at the weekend.
But yesterday, the former governors washed his hands off the Omatseye’s article, saying he had no cause to disrespect HID or disparage the Awolowo family.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by adejoro75: 1:05am On Jun 15, 2011
Cowardly Tinubu recants, pleads with HID.
Lesson: do not follow the Tinubus of this world to war. They will desert you.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by dayokanu(m): 1:56am On Jun 15, 2011
Now what else,
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by EkoIle1: 2:18am On Jun 15, 2011
Mogbe!! I'm telling you, this Tinubu guy is def' the most skillful and the smartest politician in Nigeria.

See as the bobo killed manny birds with one stone. He praised Awo, he washed off his hands, he sooth off the woman and at the same time, he directly let it be known that since he's not blaming the woman for all the tribune attacks so it's silly and pointless to accuse or blame him for the Nation write up, he shut off the silly follow follow comentators, he also let everybody know that they started the whole mess with their daily attacks against him.

Most importantly, the ACN made their point already by highlighting the Awo family BS with the article, 

Dude just turned the table on them while washing off his hands. This is another master stroke by Tinubu
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by seanet02: 2:54am On Jun 15, 2011
Abeg clapp for your master. Asiwaju, you too much
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by step1: 3:02am On Jun 15, 2011
Olorun ma yor tinubu ooo. Ko gba ja pelu Igbe-ile Awolowo and see what would happen to him. God really love this man called Tinubu if not his political career in the South -west was going to be finished starting from Lagos and Ogun. Good move, now yorubas and yorubaoid groups are united again. Thank God

God bless the South-west and Odudua nation.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by EkoIle1: 3:11am On Jun 15, 2011
Funny enough, Tinubu did not denounce the Nation article and he didn't apologize either. It's like if you're not going to appologiz for the tribune attacks because of your so called editorial independence, then I'm not apologizing for the same reason. Obviously, dude is playing them.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by hercules07: 4:01am On Jun 15, 2011
Tinubu is a master strategist, let us wait for what the Tribune will write now, he has put them on the backfoot, if they attack him again, they will look childish, if they praise him, their supporters will look foolish, I am loving the guy already.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by Jarus(m): 5:39am On Jun 15, 2011
Good outing by Tinubu here.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by EkoIle1: 5:52am On Jun 15, 2011
hercules07:

Tinubu is a master strategist, let us wait for what the Tribune will write now, he has put them on the backfoot, if they attack him again, they will look childish, if they praise him, their supporters will look foolish, I am loving the guy already.

You know they have no shame, they straight went into attack and lying mode all over. This time around, they deceptively left out the byline and turned off the comment feature avoid another round of backlash and angry comments on their site.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by EkoIle1: 6:02am On Jun 15, 2011
Also in the letter under reference, Chief Tinubu stated as follows: “It is common knowledge that the Tribune, almost everyday, demonises my person. But should I claim that Mama, as the publisher of the Tribune, was behind the attack?’’

This statement did not address the questions whether the stories published in the Tribune represented factual accounts of activities in which he was alleged to have been engaged or were false stories meant to discredit his personality. To the best of our knowledge, none of the stories published on Chief Tinubu so far in the paper has been proved to be false.

This is a lie because they called him a felon in the article below and we all know Tinubu is not a felon, his yet to convicted of anything or spent a minute in jail in any jurisdiction on the surface of the earth. Btw, is Tinubu a bastard as titled? Of course not.

Yet, try as he may, Tinubu will never become Yoruba leader. He will remain the felon, the brigand that he has always been, until his cup is full.
http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/opinion/23232-the-making-of-a-bastard-1

Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by EkoIle1: 6:06am On Jun 15, 2011
They published this just 2 days ago,

Asiwaju of Yorubaland not for felons

Let’s take a look at the felon whose greatest ambition is to succeed Awolowo as Asiwaju of Yorubaland.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sun/index.php/borderless/4102-asiwaju-of-yorubaland-not-for-felons
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by EkoIle1: 6:09am On Jun 15, 2011
Is it even possible to believe this is a National News Daily with so much out in the open venom, hate and lousy journalistic behavior?
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by dayokanu(m): 6:13am On Jun 15, 2011
Yes nobody deemed it fit to call the tribune to order in all these attacks
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by EkoIle1: 6:18am On Jun 15, 2011
dayokanu:

Yes nobody deemed it fit to call the tribune to order in all these attacks

They are all hypocrites, they sold their souls to the devil.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by rasputinn(m): 7:47am On Jun 15, 2011
adejoro75:

After a week of media bashing, former Governor of Lagos State and Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) national leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has written the spouse of the late sage, Chief Mrs.HID Awolowo, saying he had no hand in the media attack on the Awo family.
A statement signed by Tinubu’s Chief Press Secretary (CPS), Olakunle Abimbola, said: “I wish to assure Mama that I cannot disparage the Awo family without disparaging the legacy that all of us proudly embrace and are trying to sustain,”

Mr Tinubu,in your paid editorial via Sam Omatseye,you did not credit any member of the Awolowo family as trying to sustain the legacy of the late sage,in fact you said it was Awo family without an Awo-someone sustaining the legacy
So who are the "all of us" you referred to?
Honestly,it was a smart PR move,but the recantment was a tongue-in-cheek kinda thing and not everyone is fooled
If prominent yoruba religious,cultural and political leaders did not condemn the editorial;indicating also the fact that they knew it was Tinubu that sponsored it,counselling also the leadership of the Yoruba race could not be bought by stolen funds;a veiled reference to Tinubu,he would not have recanted anything,so IMO the damage is done,true colours have been shown,and resistance to certain aspirations have started
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by EkoIle1: 7:58am On Jun 15, 2011
^^^^ What do you care? I know ibo people are not about to start shedding tears on behalf of Awolowo?

Stick to being the first to distributing pamphlets abeg.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by birdman(m): 7:59am On Jun 15, 2011
Eko Ile you are  one funny character. Tell me, do you marvel when Tinubu wipes his @ss with his right hand? I really wanna know
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by EkoIle1: 8:03am On Jun 15, 2011
birdman:

Eko Ile you are  one funny character. Tell me, do you marvel when Tinubu wipes his @ss with his right hand? I really wanna know

Why bother me with your nasty odious gay fantasies?
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by violent(m): 8:17am On Jun 15, 2011
TINUBU DISOWNS [/b]THE ATTACK ON HID AWOLOWO

Free English Tutorial for MODS:

When you use[b] disown
in a context, the object should take the place of a Proper noun!

It's not heard of in the history of grammar to disown an "action".  The verb "disown" is commonly used in the context of parents regarding their children and can also be used of children regarding their parents or siblings!

"Tinubu denies the attack on HID Awolowo" makes for better written/spoken English.

PS.  This is a part of my personal initiative to combat national illiteracy.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by Demdem(m): 8:21am On Jun 15, 2011
adejoro75:

Cowardly Tinubu recants, pleads with HID.
Lesson: do not follow the Tinubus of this world to war. They will desert you.

Instead i strongly believe he actually won this round no doubt. he isn't a coward. he didn't plead at all with HID from what i read up there or am i missing something
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by laj1(m): 8:34am On Jun 15, 2011
Please how can i post a new topic on nairaland.someone should hit me back on hardedejidewunmi@yahoo.com or on my facebook address (hardedejidewunmi@yahoo.com).its been giving me headache since.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by Welder(m): 8:35am On Jun 15, 2011
violent:

When you use[b] disown

It's not heard of in the history of grammar to disown an "action". The verb "disown" is commonly used in the context of parents regarding their children and can also be used of children regarding their parents or siblings!

"Tinubu denies the attack on HID Awolowo" makes for better written/spoken English.

PS. This is a part of my personal initiative to combat national illiteracy.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by teskyg: 8:37am On Jun 15, 2011
The Nation Newspaper?ACN MOUTH PIECE.HAVE BITTEN MORE THAN CAN CHEW THIS TIME,
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by Demdem(m): 8:39am On Jun 15, 2011
^^^^ what about Tribune? their mess initially started this wahala.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by efisher(m): 9:03am On Jun 15, 2011
He is a tortoise. It is possible he wanted to ruffle the Awos' feathers a bit in a bid to become the ultimate icon of yoruba politics. Water will always find its level. I am watching.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by birdman(m): 9:07am On Jun 15, 2011
Eko Ile:

Why bother me with your nasty odious gay fantasies?

So that's a yes. Exactly what I thought.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by enyojo(f): 9:20am On Jun 15, 2011
violent:

When you use[b] disown

It's not heard of in the history of grammar to disown an "action". The verb "disown" is commonly used in the context of parents regarding their children and can also be used of children regarding their parents or siblings!

PS. This is a part of my personal initiative to combat national illiteracy.

I checked to see who actually took that thread to the Frontpage and I found:
Today at 07:52:11 AM - Seun - Tinubu Disowns The 'Attack' On HID Awolowo
But come to think of it, being a Moderator, Supermoderator or Owner doesnt make these hard-working Nigerians super-humans. Moreover, your grammatical analysis is suspect. Nonethelesss thanks for fighting 'National illiteracy'.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by violent(m): 9:31am On Jun 15, 2011
enyojo:

I checked to see who actually took that thread to the Frontpage and I found:
Today at 07:52:11 AM - Seun - Tinubu Disowns The 'Attack' On HID Awolowo
But come to think of it, being a Moderator, Supermoderator or Owner doesnt make these hard-working Nigerians super-humans. Moreover, your grammatical analysis is suspect. Nonethelesss thanks for fighting 'National illiteracy'.

I know, i was just looking to ruffle up a few feathers!
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by isquar3d3(m): 10:08am On Jun 15, 2011
violent:

I know, i was just looking to ruffle up a few feathers!
ok. Cos i was thinking of how Tinubu can 'deny' smthng that's already been publishd. D best thng is 2 wash his hands off nd 'disown' his boy, 4 nw. Meanwhile HID shld cal her pple 2 order. They r evn worse than d Nation. Mama is old nd dat's d only reasn y pple r cutting her sm slack. She obviously shld b getn d same stick dat Tinubu's getn.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by Jarus(m): 10:16am On Jun 15, 2011
violent:

When you use[b] disown

It's not heard of in the history of grammar to disown an "action".  The verb "disown" is commonly used in the context of parents regarding their children and can also be used of children regarding their parents or siblings!

PS.  This is a part of my personal initiative to combat national illiteracy.

Stop contributing to national illiteracy by miseducating people here.

The statement, 'disowns the attack',  is perfectly correct, grammatically.
Disown, according to major dictionaries, means 'to refuse to acknowledge or accept as one's own'.

Attack, as even used in that sentence, is not a verb(action), but a noun(thing).

They attack HID.(action, verb)
The attack on HID (noun)

The second is clearly operative there, not the first. That is your goof 1.
Goof 2: You said 'disown', when used as a verb, the object should take the place of a proper noun. This is incorrect. You can disown an action. In fact, major dictionaries define 'disown' as 'to refuse to acknowledge'. Now tell me why you can't acknowledge an action.  I refer you to that quote by Mason Cooley: "Fearful of sentimentality, I disown my tears and melting heart". Tell me 'tears' is a proper noun!

NB: To be double sure of my stand, I consulted answers.com and dictionary.com.
Re: Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu by tpia5: 10:45am On Jun 15, 2011
I'd give tinubu the benefit of the doubt on this one.

He has nothing to gain from whatever the article was about, and i think he'd have shown that sort of behaviour long before now if that was his mindset.

He couldnt have gotten to his present level had he shown such behaviour before now.

So i'm inclined to believe some mischievious forces are at work here, trying to discredit him. He's not a small boy who doesnt know his left from his right.

And the writer of that article needs to be investigated.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Experts Call On Boko-Haram To Surrender Unconditionally / GEJ Vs Opposition: Major Hits And Misses / How Can A President Of A Country Openly Display Flag Of A Terrorist Organization

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.