Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? (14508 Views)

Optimizing Your Website For Online Business Success (part 2) / Online Learning Platform Launch Otutors.com.ng / Which Data Plan Is Best For Bloggers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by utepu: 6:12am On Dec 26, 2021
Same here brother. Please we need advice on the way to go

Bros have your been doing some circuit designs already??[/quote]
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by utepu: 6:15am On Dec 26, 2021
Same here. We need your advice house

quote author=sirjamesjnr post=108793969]I started coding as fun, but I found out I have a deep interest in it. I have downloaded more than 74 videos that I use for my learning.
I also watch videos on data structure and algorithms. I will like to take a step further by enrolling in an online platform for more learning and to belong to a community. The Indian Guy suggested I enroll in Codecademy, while someone here on nairaland suggested Coursera.

Please I will like to know which of the two is the real deal and why. Also, where can I enroll for a physical internship either in Lagos or Abuja. Preferably a firm run by Chinese or Indian. I won't mind a Nigerian community provided I get what I am looking for. I can create time for the internship.

N/B. In my field(EEE( Embedded Systems)) I need deep knowledge of coding to create a niche.
Merry Christmas to this great family.[/quote]
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Chykes4micheal: 6:31am On Dec 26, 2021
jkingx:
You deh understand Indian guys intonation?
One Indian guy make almost totally wipe out my MacBook pro drive!
I am an electrical and electronics engineer (telecom, power, broadcasting construction) and IT pro (a little of everything but more of infratructure and systems integration) with nearly 20 years post graduate experience. Never have the patience for coding.
Ok. To your question, I have not taken any courses from codeacademy though the name may suggest they may be more focused on coding stuff but I've taken a few courses with coursera and I can recommend them.

This is nice. Please what is it like to take a course on coursera. Like am working presently working but need to create time to attend a course coursera when i enroll for it. How can i manage my time etc
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Chykes4micheal: 6:34am On Dec 26, 2021
Whynow:
Coursera has alignments with some schools and even big organisations , and their certifications are also valued. Course contents are well organised

Codecademy , I haven't used .

I have used Udemy (python and SQL) , datacamp ( for refresher) .. Very much okay.

Thanks for the insight. Apart from the fact that coursera has alignment with some good schools and big organizations, can one actually come out good at a particular course after learning from coursera? I hope they are more practical in teaching than theoretical?... I will appreciate your response on this and any other persons response as well. Thanks
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Chykes4micheal: 6:37am On Dec 26, 2021
yusufu16:

You are absolutely right. At the moment I already taking course on UX Design offered by Google themselves. Coursera certificate is recognised by many top organisations and companies.

Also, the prospect of getting a job with their certificate is very high.

Thanks for this info. How much can i use to enroll for coursera. I wanna do a course on digital marketing next year (SEO to be precise)
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Chykes4micheal: 6:41am On Dec 26, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:
Codeacademy helps with practice better than Coursera. Coursera is more about the "why" and Codeacademy is more about the "how". If I were you I would use both.

Does codeacademy have courses on digital marketing?
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Chykes4micheal: 6:41am On Dec 26, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:
Codeacademy helps with practice better than Coursera. Coursera is more about the "why" and Codeacademy is more about the "how". If I were you I would use both.

Does codeacademy have courses on digital marketing? And how much is it to learn it if they have
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by eventainment(m): 7:47am On Dec 26, 2021
sirjamesjnr:
. Are you talking about complex electronic systems or individual circuits in EEE? Or do you mean by coding? Please throw more light let me feel you.
Complex circuit system... I've been keen to have a feel of doing circuits designs. The embedded systems wouldn't be a major challenge for me I just want to know how to combine components to make complex circuits designs... Like combining components cause I know what I'm doing
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Sorrento: 10:09am On Dec 26, 2021
Lalami3232:
Both are good, even W3schools.
But I never used any of them because I prefer getting different books from different authors online, with that, my knowledge is broader and wider. If I no dey grasp the concepts, I go use the DOC of the language/framework instead of those coursera/w3school.
Udemy videos still make sense too but u no fit compare yourself wey use udemy videos to people wey read different books.
Why I dey always stand out from the multitude be say, I wan know how the stuffs dey work behind the scene, not just how E dey compile at runtime. Laslas, do whatever works for you sha.
If I tell people say NodeJS na C++ program wey dem embed for inside Google v8 engine, dem no go believe. For the young developer, no just limit yourself to one source of learning, get different resources, that one go make u know am very deep.

I don talk am before and I go talk am again, "Instead of you to truncate your life by doing yahoo/runs, go learn software development".
Na mumu you be.. I won't say more than that
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by SimplyAJ(m): 5:26pm On Dec 26, 2021
sirjamesjnr:
. He talks without sense. If anyone knows mathematics and statistics, that person can make a kill in ICT. It is the new oil. I feel bad that I came late
Lateness don't matter when a man puts his heart to a thing. Set monthly and yearly goals for yourself. Work on projects, always update your portfolio, join a tech community and never forget Twitter and LinkedIn �
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by slimman007: 2:35am On Dec 27, 2021
sirjamesjnr:
. Are you a graduate(EEE)or a technician?

A technician sir.I am into inverter repairs and other electronic gadgets...Sir your advice is highly needed..Thanks for your response
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by sirjamesjnr(m): 4:45am On Dec 27, 2021
Lalami3232:

I'm a bad teacher but a good mentor. I would so push you to the wall until na you go vex block me for Whatsapp grin.
I don't mind waking you up by 1 AM for you to get up and start writing codes. So, my guy, people dey see me dey run because of my insatiable appetite for learning. Now u see why I can't accept your offer. No vex!!!
I have gone a bit far with python but Codecademy takes their training on JavaScript (IDE). Should I switch to Javascript or continue with python. I love to code on Python(IDE). Please get back to me.
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by sirjamesjnr(m): 5:02am On Dec 27, 2021
slimman007:

A technician sir. I am into inverter repairs and other electronic gadgets...Sir your advice is highly needed. Thanks for your response
. I do not know the theoretical knowledge you have on EEE since you are a technician, so I may give you the wrong advice. However, You are on a great path to EEE. Only if you can take an online course. It will only cost you $400 for an associate degree. I can recommend a school in the USA for you. At your level, I may assume it is trial and error. So you need a college education which you can get online. We can't talk about Courses in EEE when you don't have the theoretical knowledge. I hope this helps.
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by sirjamesjnr(m): 5:04am On Dec 27, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:
I have gone a bit far with python but Codecademy takes their training on JavaScript (IDE). Should I switch to Javascript or continue with python. I love to code on Python(IDE). Please get back to me.
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Lalami3232(m): 5:40am On Dec 27, 2021
sirjamesjnr:

Don't switch, try and learn both.
Like me, I'm vast in 3 languages (JavaScript, Java and Python). It would give you an edge over others if you know numerous languages
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by sirjamesjnr(m): 8:37am On Dec 27, 2021
Lalami3232:

Don't switch, try and learn both.
Like me, I'm vast in 3 languages (JavaScript, Java and Python). It would give you an edge over others if you know numerous languages
. Thanks man
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by olasunky15(m): 4:13pm On Dec 27, 2021
HRprof:
My learning formula :
YouTube is my mobile university and I use it for self thought skill. I have acquired a skill through YouTube from beginner to job ready as a DATA Analyst. I wake up every midnight and download videos on YouTube watch and practice it. I learn from different videos from different YouTuber on courses related data analytics on analytical tools such as Power BI, SQL, Python pandas , Tableau, Queries, Pivot and advance excel. I also search online for materials on the subject's and study it. The only thing that will warrant me for online academy course is to get the certification there is nothing different from what they will teach me than what I have learnt so far

You re a wise man. OP Listen to this. Most of those courses later find their way to Youtube… well except you are the certificate type.
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by letitrainnow(m): 9:45pm On Dec 27, 2021
Codecademy
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by SarutobiEky(m): 8:33am On Dec 28, 2021
Lalami3232:

Well, you need a good laptop and 101% dedication if you wan go into programming and be successful. Competition don much nowadays, so you have to be grounded. Programming no be wetin dem dey do seasonally, its a daily thing. Anyday I no write/debug code, it's like a wasted day to me, and I pay heavily for it. So I go suggest say make you start am. go to z-lib.org and you go download for free. Start with HTML, then CSS. After then, move to either JavaScript or Python. But go to that z-lib.org and you go see nice materials to download for free
senior man.. I no see book exclusively for html and CSS o. They dey always combine sir. Good morning sir

Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Naijatask: 8:34am On Dec 28, 2021
SarutobiEky:
senior man.. I no see book exclusively for html and CSS o. They dey always combine sir. Good morning sir

Did you receive my mail? Did you reply it? Anyway, good morning
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Naijatask: 8:35am On Dec 28, 2021
SarutobiEky:

And yeah, the books teach you HTML first before CSS
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by SarutobiEky(m): 8:45am On Dec 28, 2021
Naijatask:

Nope, I stay in the northern part of the country.
no qualms sir. I just send you message for whatsapp. No vex, I be dey very busy all this while.
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by SarutobiEky(m): 8:46am On Dec 28, 2021
Naijatask:

Did you receive my mail? Did you reply it? Anyway, good morning
na woman image I see for there that day grin I no even wait before I japa. I think say na woman. I no bother check. I dey reply am now
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by SarutobiEky(m): 8:46am On Dec 28, 2021
Naijatask:

And yeah, the books teach you HTML first before CSS
ehen..naso e dey be? Kai I get plenty question to ask sha
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Lalami3232(m): 12:18pm On Dec 28, 2021
SarutobiEky:

Just go on Google and search "best HTML and CSS books", dem go give you list of good books wey dey in vogue. Copy the names of the books and download them
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Uchedizzy(f): 4:04am On Dec 29, 2021
Can one learn any computer skills with a smart phone
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Naijatask: 7:20am On Dec 29, 2021
Uchedizzy:
Can one learn any computer skills with a smart phone

Yes.
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Uchedizzy(f): 12:31pm On Dec 29, 2021
[quote author=Naijatask post=108896751]

Yes.[/quot OK thanks, but then why do most people prefers to learn with laptop, since they can still use phone.
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Naijatask: 3:30pm On Dec 29, 2021
[quote author=Uchedizzy post=108904789][/quote]

Because laptop is easier and easier. Also, you can't do much with your phone. Hence most people use a laptop
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Uchedizzy(f): 8:38pm On Dec 29, 2021
Uchedizzy:
[/quote]
Naijatask post=108909080:

Because laptop is easier and easier. Also, you can't do much with your phone. Hence most people use a laptop
[quote author=Uchedizzy post= t108904789]
[quote thank you sir , but pls which of the skills do you advise me to learn author=Naijatask post=108896751]

Yes.[/quote]
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Naijatask: 8:43pm On Dec 29, 2021
[quote author=Uchedizzy post=108916267][/quote]

With phone? Digital marketing. Laptop? Graphics design, UI and UX design or programming language like java and kotlin so that you can develop mobile apps.
Re: Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? by Uchedizzy(f): 9:11pm On Dec 29, 2021
Naijatask:

With phone? Digital marketing. Laptop? Graphics design, UI and UX design or programming language like java and kotlin so that you can develop mobile apps.
i think i will go for digital marketing, pls how do i go about it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Become A Successful Blogger In Nigeria / Old Naijamobile.tk Now Changed To 9jamobile.net / Webmasters Introduce Yourself.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.