Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,632 members, 7,809,367 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination (977 Views)

Google To Delete Inactive Gmail Accounts By December 1 / Google To Replace Voice Search With Google Assistant On Android Devices / Itel Partner With Google; To Launch Smartphones On Android Oreo (go Edition) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Biodun556(m): 11:51am On Dec 26, 2021
Move over Google, TikTok is the world's new most popular online destination.

The viral video app gets more hits than the American search engine, according to Cloudflare, an IT security company.

The rankings show that TikTok knocked Google off the top spot in February, March and June this year, and has held the number one position since August.

Last year Google was first, and a number of sites including TikTok, Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft and Netflix were all in the top 10.

It is believed one of the reasons for the surge in Tiktok's popularity is because of the Covid pandemic, as lockdowns meant people were stuck at home and looking for entertainment.

By July this year, TikTok had been downloaded more than three billion times, according to data company Sensor Tower.

The social network, which is owned by a Chinese company called Bytedance, now has more than one billion active users across the world, and that number continues to grow.

In China, to comply with the country's censorship rules, the app is called Douyin, and runs on a different network.

Douyin was originally released in September 2016. This year, China ruled that users under the age of 14 would be limited to 40 minutes a day on the platform.

Security concerns
TikTok was launched internationally in 2018, after merging with another Chinese social media service, Musical.ly, an app which allowed users to share videos of themselves lip-synching to songs.

The social media platform is no stranger to controversy. In 2019, it garnered a temporary ban in India, a US counter-intelligence investigation and a record £4.3m fine after Musical.ly was found to have knowingly hosted content published by under-age users.

As one of the only internationally successful Chinese apps, politicians and regulators outside China have raised concerns about security and privacy.

Last year TikTok was forced to deny it is controlled by the Chinese government.

Theo Bertram, TikTok's head of public policy for Europe, the Middle East and Africa, said it would refuse any request from China to hand over data.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59768617?at_campaign=64&at_medium=custom7&at_custom3=BBC+News&at_custom2=facebook_page&at_custom4=18BA87C0-64B0-11EC-983D-483316F31EAE&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Pauldollars(m): 11:56am On Dec 26, 2021
Tiktok can never be as important as Google coz its not a search engine. Its only Young people who have time for Tiktok videos

3 Likes

Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Biodun556(m): 11:57am On Dec 26, 2021
Pauldollars:
Tiktok can never be as important as Google coz its not a search engine. Its only Young people who have time for Tiktok videos

Being no 1 online destination in is the most important

2 Likes

Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by money121(m): 11:58am On Dec 26, 2021
Ok
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Pauldollars(m): 12:11pm On Dec 26, 2021
Biodun556:

Being no 1 online destination in is the most important

As long as you can't get much information from there other than funny videos and posts, its not as important as Google. Its only a top online destination coz a lot of young people rush there to post there videos for likes. That's all.

3 Likes

Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 26, 2021
Pauldollars:

As long as you can't get much information from there other than funny videos and posts, its not as important as Google. Its only a top online destination coz a lot of young people rush there to post there videos for likes. That's all.
Boss I agree with you..
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by OneKinGuy(m): 12:45pm On Dec 26, 2021
I still don't understand what people find interesting about tiktok

3 Likes

Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Abudu2000(m): 12:52pm On Dec 26, 2021
Pauldollars:
abeg shut up, tiktok has become the place to be even for elites. Tiktok and instagram are not even mates
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Abudu2000(m): 12:53pm On Dec 26, 2021
OneKinGuy:
I still don't understand what people find interesting about tiktok
so far u have data for it u will find it interesting.
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by amAZEing: 1:01pm On Dec 26, 2021
@op, you are typing big grammar.
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Youngpo413: 3:27pm On Dec 26, 2021
Tiktok...na upcoming ashawos full dia.

3 Likes

Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Pauldollars(m): 4:12pm On Dec 26, 2021
Abudu2000:
abeg shut up, tiktok has become the place to be even for elites. Tiktok and instagram are not even mates

My friend, shift one side. If Tiktok tops list of online destination, its bcoz boys like you always go to look for pictures and videos of girls twerking their buttocks there and probably for short funny comedy skits.
Tiktok is not a search engine. When people look for materials and resources for research works, do they visit Tiktok?

7 Likes

Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Aphrygian(m): 6:26pm On Dec 26, 2021
Pauldollars:

My friend, shift one side. If Tiktok tops list of online destination, its bcoz boys like you always go to look for pictures and videos of girls twerking their buttocks there and probably for short funny comedy skits.
Tiktok is not a search engine. When people look for materials and resources for research works, do they visit Tiktok?
osumi oooo, Google is just too important .
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by samnificent(m): 6:42pm On Dec 26, 2021
China
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by KillerBeauty(f): 6:59pm On Dec 26, 2021
Youngpo413:
Tiktok...na upcoming ashawos full dia.
Tiktok algorithm shows u videos of what you like. You get more of the kind of videos you interact with. So if you always see ashawo videos on your feed, it's means that's what is in your mind. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by seunfly: 10:16pm On Dec 26, 2021
Pauldollars:

Says who?
Right now I'm learning Chinese on it. Tiktok has gone beyond funny videos and YouTube and and others have started to copy Tiktok's model.

1 Like

Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by dan9ice(m): 10:21pm On Dec 26, 2021
Tiktot na for slay queen
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Pauldollars(m): 11:01pm On Dec 26, 2021
seunfly:

Says who?
Right now I'm learning Chinese on it. Tiktok has gone beyond funny videos and YouTube and and others have started to copy Tiktok's model.

Na Chinese you come this World come learn? Abi you want to be colonised by China.
China uses Tiktok and other media as a tool to compete with the Western social media outfits in her quest to dominate the World. Don't be deceived bro. Nothing much to learn dere
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Cozbymaster97(m): 11:04pm On Dec 26, 2021
God forbid say I install that ashawo and prostitute twerking video app.
I regretted ever installing it last year.
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Minjim: 11:05pm On Dec 26, 2021
For where?

Google must be on every Android phone. I don't even have Tiktok
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by seunfly: 11:06pm On Dec 26, 2021
Pauldollars:

Na Chinese you come this World come learn? Abi you want to be colonised by China.
China uses Tiktok and other media as a tool to compete with the Western social media outfits in her quest to dominate the World. Don't be deceived bro. Nothing much to learn dere

I don't even know where to start my explanation from, the only thing to tell u is that tiktok has gone beyond video and it is evolving into learning apps.

1 Like

Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Pauldollars(m): 11:10pm On Dec 26, 2021
seunfly:

I don't even know where to start my explanation from, the only thing to tell u is that tiktok has gone beyond video and it is evolving into learning apps.

Bros never compare Tiktok and Google.
They operate differently.
If you need an urgent information online, is it Tiktok you use? Wait till they evolve and can offer the same services Google offers. For now, they're still way below Google. Forget those arm chair statisticians hyping them
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by seunfly: 11:13pm On Dec 26, 2021
Pauldollars:

Bros never compare Tiktok and Google.
They operate differently.
If you need an urgent information online, is it Tiktok you use?

You brought google into discussion and u are saying they are different things. If u think they are different, why did u bring google into d discussions in the first place.

That was why I said I don't know where to start explaining things to u.
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Pauldollars(m): 11:18pm On Dec 26, 2021
seunfly:

You brought google into discussion and u are saying they are different things. If u think they are different, why did u bring google into d discussions in the first place.

Titok Vs Google is what the OP posted. Don't know what you're confused about
Re: Tiktok Ousts Google To Become Favourite Online Destination by Pauldollars(m): 11:18pm On Dec 26, 2021
seunfly:

(1) (Reply)

Best And Cheap Data Plans For All Networks / Sony Xperia Z3 Dual D6633 Have Crashed / Who Has A Used Andriod Phone For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.