Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect (2352 Views)

Rhodes Vivour's Threat About Lagos Should Not Be Ignored By Police - Reno Omokri / Tinubu Talking About Lagos Light Rail, BRT Lanes And PPP Models (Throwback) / Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by laiperi: 7:34pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hard to believe but some people confessed that they could not socialize until they acquired Eko accent.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Frigga13: 7:39pm On Dec 27, 2021
angry..
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Ttalk: 7:41pm On Dec 27, 2021
It sweeter than English Igbo and Hausa combined.

12 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by helinues: 7:41pm On Dec 27, 2021
True oo..

You can't speak your local Yoruba dialects in some place. You are automatically JJC

They used to mock my friend when we first arrived in Lagos to hustle.. He was forced to learn it

Mini mini mide mide.. cheesy

10 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Ofodirinwa: 7:52pm On Dec 27, 2021
Nigerians in general have a primitive mentality about accents. Jamaicans, Spaniards, Americans and British people are using their own accents to make income. In Nigeria if you have accent they laugh, if you don't have they laugh, if you have their own they will fight you, if you have your own, fight. Forming up and down to no gain.

not just a yoruba problem. everything in nigeria is an excuse to discriminate and hate

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by illicit(m): 8:00pm On Dec 27, 2021
They can't pronounce "r"

They say Awu or aghu lol

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by laiperi: 8:02pm On Dec 27, 2021
If I may agree in part and disagree with you.

Attitude about Eko accent is the same worldwide as in Jamaca, London, New York etc.

I completely agree that whatever accent you utter in those places, you cannot win.

I personally, get jealous maybe even more when Kora speak perfect Oyo dialect.

Ofodirinwa:
Nigerians in general have a primitive mentality about accents. Jamaicans, Spaniards, Americans and British people are using their own accents to make income. In Nigeria if you have accent they laugh, if you don't have they laugh, if you have their own they will fight you, if you have own, fight. Forming up and down to no gain.

not just a yoruba problem. everything in nigeria is an excuse to discriminate and hate
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Aphrygian(m): 8:23pm On Dec 27, 2021
What pple termed Eko accent is actually ijebu accent of the Yoruba language

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by ThEGodFaThEr111: 8:31pm On Dec 27, 2021
If you hear Ibadan person accent ehn...na die.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by helinues: 8:33pm On Dec 27, 2021
Aphrygian:

The Ijebu accent is mostly in Ikorodu area, Bariga, Fadeyi

This one is Lagos Island accent..

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by LILTJAY: 9:51pm On Dec 27, 2021
ThEGodFaThEr111:
If you hear Ibadan person accent ehn...na die.
what of anambla accent wey be like devil voice

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Ofodirinwa: 10:13pm On Dec 27, 2021
laiperi:
If I may agree in part and disagree with you.

Attitude about Eko accent is the same worldwide as in Jamaca, London, New York etc.

I completely agree that whatever accent you utter in those places, you cannot win.

I personally, get jealous maybe even more when Kora speak perfect Oyo dialect.

Nobody in New York or London will laugh because someome has an accent lol. I live in the US and that's extremely bizarre. In a place like NY you will spend your entire life laughing because the average New Yorker will hear at least 5 accents from all over the world daily. I promise you this is only a Nigerian mentality born out of abnormal thinking, low self esteem and under-exposure.

Nigerians that come to the US newly think accents are funny, or laugh about how people pronounce things, but after a year they usually realize that mentality is low and adjust. Its usually ppl that have never travelled or people who haven't been outside of nigeria for a consistent year that carry the mentality.

If you tell 10 Americans that an Anambra man says Lefridgator 9 won't even know you're trying to tell them something funny. The remaining 1 will say 'well its not their first language'. It is like laughing because someone used their left hand.

Unless that is not what your saying.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by christistruth01: 10:13pm On Dec 27, 2021
Aphrygian:

No

Lagos Yoruba speak their own version of the Oyo dialect but mixed up with some Ijebu

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by laiperi: 11:00pm On Dec 27, 2021
You are still wrong sir. You have not lived in US long enough.

New Yorker have distinct accent obvious to everybody. Their pronunciation of "sh or s" is closer to Ibadan accent.

Ofodirinwa:

Nobody in New York or London will laugh because someome has an accent lol. I live in the US and that's extremely bizarre. In a place like NY you will spend your entire life laughing because the average New Yorker will hear at least 5 accents from all over the world daily. I promise you this is only a Nigerian mentality born out of abnormal thinking, low self esteem and under-exposure.

Nigerians that come to the US newly think accents are funny, or laugh about how people pronounce things, but after a year they usually realize that mentality is low and adjust. Its usually ppl that have never travelled or people who haven't been outside of nigeria for a consistent year that carry the mentality.

If you tell 10 Americans that an Anambra man says Lefridgator 9 won't even know you're trying to tell them something funny. The remaining 1 will say 'well its not their first language'. It is like laughing because someone used their left hand.

Unless that is not what your saying.

Kai, Lagosians cannot even understand Ijebu accent.

Aphrygian:

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Sammy07: 11:15pm On Dec 27, 2021
helinues:
True oo..

You can't speak your local Yoruba dialects in some place. You are automatically JJC

They used to mock my friend when we first arrived in Lagos to hustle.. He was forced to learn it

Mini mini mide mide.. cheesy

I actually don't like their accent.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Sammy07: 11:17pm On Dec 27, 2021
christistruth01:

No

Lagos Yoruba speak their own version of the Oyo dialect but mixed up with some Ijebu

Truth...
But Their own version looks odd to me.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Ofodirinwa: 11:21pm On Dec 27, 2021
laiperi:
You are still wrong sir. You have not lived in US long enough.

New Yorker have distinct accent obvious to everybody. Their pronunciation of "sh or s" is closer to Ibadan accent.

Kai, Lagosians cannot even understand Ijebu accent.

I was born and raised here and live here right now lol. Will you listen?
New Yorkers have a distinct accent but you're not going to make anyone laugh (in the US) by having a different accent than them. My post is stating that Americans don't play politics with accents the way Nigerians do. Read slowly

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by helinues: 11:28pm On Dec 27, 2021
Sammy07:

I actually don't like their accent.

The Lagos accent is becoming universal in SW and outside the region

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Sammy07: 11:31pm On Dec 27, 2021
helinues:

The Lagos accent is becoming universal in SW now.

Says who? Lol.
Never!

I never heard Mike, mide bla bla anywhere outside Lagos.
Even in Ogun.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by helinues: 11:32pm On Dec 27, 2021
Sammy07:

Says who? Lol.
Never!

Even in Ogun.

That's the recognized Yoruba accent on street, outside Nigeria.

When you are outside your state, abeg keep payan

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Sammy07: 11:34pm On Dec 27, 2021
helinues:

That's the recognized Yoruba accent on street, outside Nigeria.

Oyo Yoruba will still gain ground irrespective bro.

As long as YORUBA is taught in Primary/Second and tertiary schools even Jamb, waec, neco

1 Like

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by helinues: 11:36pm On Dec 27, 2021
Sammy07:

Oyo Yoruba will still gain ground irrespective bro.

As long as YORUBA is taught in Primary/Second and tertiary schools even Jamb, waec, neco

See have you heard Okeho,Iseyin people speaking Yoruba before? You no go understand anything.

Wan SE ogiri lekan Ina tan yen. .. grin

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Sammy07: 11:39pm On Dec 27, 2021
helinues:

See have you heard Okeho,Iseyin people speaking Yoruba before? You no go understand anything.

Wan SE ogiri lekan Ina tan yen. .. grin

grin
Have not heard sha. Buh they are closer to Oyo, I think their dialect should be.simple.

If you hear Akoko ehn sad
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by helinues: 11:41pm On Dec 27, 2021
Sammy07:

grin
Have not heard sha. Buh they are closer to Oyo, I think their dialect should be.simple.

If you hear Akoko ehn sad

You don't expect an Egba man to travel to Ondo state and be speaking Egba, he would rather speak Lagos accent.

It's very easy to hide state of origin with Lagos accent

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by laiperi: 1:31am On Dec 28, 2021
This is my last reply to you on this. Even if you are born there, you are still green.

Accent is a big deal in America. Forget about foreign accent for now.

Southern accent are laughed at or derided the way we laugh at people from hinterland or rural accent here or anywhere.

Americans try to blend or change their accent to the region they move to. In an interview, a New York candidate for School board head said he would never give up his accent for Boston accent.

London accent change from class to regions. Magret Thatcher British PM had a low class accent, married into upper class and changed her accent.

No need to argue this, most informed people here know this. Don't come here telling us you were born there. If you are, stay put in Bronx or Brooklyn (with local distinct accent) without knowing your surroundings.

Even then, you should know better.

Ofodirinwa:

I was born and raised here and live here right now lol. Will you listen?
New Yorkers have a distinct accent but you're not going to make anyone laugh (in the US) by having a different accent than them. My post is stating that Americans don't play politics with accents the way Nigerians do. Read slowly

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Ofodirinwa: 1:53am On Dec 28, 2021
laiperi:
This is my last reply to you on this.

The most reasonable thing you've said. See you later

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by laiperi: 2:05am On Dec 28, 2021
Let them keep on fooling themselves.

I was shocked that most foreign universities teach both Oyo and Lagos Yoruba.

If you want to show class, learn and speak Lagos Yoruba.

helinues:

The Lagos accent is becoming universal in SW and outside the region

1 Like

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by oyatz(m): 3:17am On Dec 28, 2021
Aphrygian:

Not exactly but an Awori+Ijebu+ some Egba syncretized accent
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by oyatz(m): 3:23am On Dec 28, 2021
Sammy07:

Says who? Lol.
Never!

Even in Ogun.

I think such morphen like 'de' 'ke' sound similar to Ijebu dialect.

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Ttalk: 4:02am On Dec 28, 2021
Aphrygian:

You no well.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Lagos Accent Or Dialect by Ttalk: 4:02am On Dec 28, 2021
oyatz:

Not exactly but an Awori+Ijebu+ some Egba syncretized accent

You gerrit

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Peter Obi Caused Commotion At Abuja Airport: Video & Pictures / Abubakar Atiku Has Lost 2023 Election / Peter Obi Trending In The North (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.