Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,677 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

My Journey Into React Native - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Journey Into React Native (5561 Views)

My Journey Into Shopify Development ( Theme ) / My Journey Into Low/no-code Platforms / My Journey Into Svelte Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 1:21pm On Feb 21, 2022
Today i have a major challenge in RN, I have an application called MatterMost it is the open source version of slack, it wasn't built by me, so I need to integrate it into our application. I have been going through the file and my issue is that my current project uses Expo while this uses normal npx react-native.

Mattermost also uses alot of React Native Modules meaning native code exposed to JavaScript, and also React navigation. The complexity is so much that I have decided to jot it down and study the intricacies around it.

Personally I want to move to Flutter because while I can use RN, the headache is so much.

I will update more on this as time goes on.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 6:43pm On Feb 21, 2022
I fired up Android Studio today my task is to not understand React Native ( JavaScript Layer ) but React native ( Java Layer) meaning ReactApplication, ReactNativeHostWrapper and the core Components. The goal is not to understand the indepth architecture but enough to understand what's happening and how I can know what the hell is going on, I will share a note once that is done

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 9:28pm On Mar 24, 2022
So I have finally built a stable working version for the React Native Application, it's has been an interesting journey.

1. Redux in React Native

The MatterMost source code heavily relies on Redux to map the state and props to the component, the neccessary reducers are invoked during a dispatch. Initially I found it complex to understand but as time went by, I finally understand the role of Redux properly and now can't imagine working with out it. It is so convienient.

2. C++ and JSI

React Native Architecture was rewritten to access Native C++ from JS and to JS using V8, this makes it easy to expose Native Android Modules to JS, this requires some knowledge of C++

3. Fabric

This is something I have not yet found time to cover, but it is the rendering engine for RN is all I know

What I did

I simply rewrote some part of MatterMost Open source code to accept our screens, and I created my own sidebar and took out code from the MatterMost Sidebar to incorporate their teams and channels to it, most are simply HTTP calls to fetch them in json, and Redux. As for the chat it uses WebSocket from Android to the MatterMost server running on docker locally.

Here is the screenshot of the App

Personal Verdict: React Native is a messy platform to develop for, half of the times, you have to be very familiar with npm, Gradle issues and also general Metro issues when bundling. I would most likely move to Flutter after this project. RN is amazing though, but the development work experience is hell especially when working with 3rd libraries. I've had to dig into some source code to fix somethings.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 5:11pm On Apr 06, 2022
Making Good Progress, Here is my update on the React native App I have been working on, this is my first react native app but alot of the code is largely from MatterMost, I studied their code and built on top of their code. At first it was massively complex, but when you see how the code is broken apart, it's mostly the use of Redux to manage the state and render the component and the rest is mostly dealing with React Navigation.

8 Likes

Re: My Journey Into React Native by 3exe3: 6:09pm On Apr 06, 2022
This is beautiful
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 7:05pm On Apr 06, 2022
3exe3:
This is beautiful

Thanks alot.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by 3exe3: 10:11pm On Apr 06, 2022
qtguru:

Thanks alot.

U welcome
Re: My Journey Into React Native by 3exe3: 10:11pm On Apr 06, 2022
qtguru:

Thanks alot.

Can u just recommend a good site to learn flutter?
Re: My Journey Into React Native by tosinhtml: 3:38am On Apr 09, 2022
qtguru:
Making Good Progress, Here is my update on the React native App I have been working on, this is my first react native app but alot of the code is largely from MatterMost, I studied their code and built on top of their code. At first it was massively complex, but when you see how the code is broken apart, it's mostly the use of Redux to manage the state and render the component and the rest is mostly dealing with React Navigation.

Bro let's not lie, React Native is super complex and at this point, I won't recommend anyone to learn it.

Initially in 2019, i was regretting not learning it early because a lot of foreign startups were paying a ton for the skill set, I felt really backward and frustrated that I haven't learnt it yet. Fast forward to 2021, I have had many friends use React Native moving from iOS or Android Native development and I can tell you they all complained, most of them moved to Flutter or got back with Native Mobile dev.

Every new startup I see now are going the Flutter way, they want performace optimizations, they simply want peace of mind.

Companies like Shopify are stuck with React Native because they started quite early with it, so they want to optimize it and also keep using their Javascript devs. If Shopify was to start a new project, I can bet that they wouldn't go with React Native.

It is amazing how Facebook forced it down our throats because it somewhat had React style of writing attached to it, what is point of using a Framework that makes you cry or look incompetent every day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 8:36am On Apr 09, 2022
tosinhtml:

Bro let's not lie, React Native is super complex and at this point, I won't recommend anyone to learn it.

Initially in 2019, i was regretting not learning it early because a lot of foreign startups were paying a ton for the skill set, I felt really backward and frustrated that I haven't learnt it yet. Fast forward to 2021, I have had many friends use React Native moving from iOS or Android Native development and[b] I can tell you they all complained, most of them moved to Flutter or got back with Native Mobile dev.[/b]

Every new startup I see now are going the Flutter way, they want performace optimizations, they simply want peace of mind.

Companies like Shopify are stuck with React Native because they started quite early with it, so they want to optimize it and also keep using their Javascript devs. If Shopify was to start a new project, I can bet that they wouldn't go with React Native.

It is amazing how Facebook forced it down our throats because it somewhat had React style of writing attached to it, what is point of using a Framework that makes you cry or look incompetent every day.

I agree, React Native has been a frustrating experience for me, sadly this was a project that was thrown to me, personally I want to move to Flutter/Native for personal projects. But shopify is working bringing the tech that renders in Flutter in React Native. but personally React Native is not for me. I will rather go the Native route and just use a Native framework for development.

Tosyno baba grin

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into React Native by airsaylongcome: 12:09pm On Apr 09, 2022
@qtguru your chat app mattermost?

Re: My Journey Into React Native by Olumyco(m): 6:51pm On Apr 09, 2022
Apply now
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 7:30pm On Apr 09, 2022
airsaylongcome:
@qtguru your chat app mattermost?

Yes we took Mattermost sourcecode and I built my application around theirs, so it's an EDX fused with Mattermost, so while the LMS is EDX, we will use the MatterMost screens for the communication platform.

I had to read their source code and build around that. It was mega demanding and stressful but still achieved it.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into React Native by airsaylongcome: 9:35pm On Apr 09, 2022
qtguru:

Yes we took Mattermost sourcecode and I built my application around theirs, so it's an EDX fused with Mattermost, so while the LMS is EDX, we will use the MatterMost screens for the communication platform.

I had to read their source code and build around that. It was mega demanding and stressful but still achieved it.

I don't want to imagine the "suffer" that would have caused. I've deployed a few Mattermost servers. Not the easiest of things to do especially when the client wants all of the Slack features. And is demanding for them on the open source version. Mattermost with Rocket.chat are brutal for a n00b
Re: My Journey Into React Native by airsaylongcome: 9:06pm On Apr 10, 2022
Tensazangetsu20 which way? Are you good? I haven't seen any of your posts on the tech section for some days o. Hope everything is OK with you. If na work kolobi you then I can understand. But just drop a sign that you are still active. Even if na just "."
Re: My Journey Into React Native by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:16pm On Apr 10, 2022
airsaylongcome:
Tensazangetsu20 which way? Are you good? I haven't seen any of your posts on the tech section for some days o. Hope everything is OK with you. If na work kolobi you then I can understand. But just drop a sign that you are still active. Even if na just "."

LOL I am around o, I just read posts o. I have actually been preparing for interviews have a lot of them and its all DSA based so need to leetcode after work so I can pass. I am looking for my japa job.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into React Native by airsaylongcome: 9:56pm On Apr 10, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

LOL I am around o, I just read posts o. I have actually been preparing for interviews have a lot of them and its all DSA based so need to leetcode after work so I can pass. I am looking for my japa job.

Good to hear that you are good. Keep grinding. God-willing THE job will find you this year.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:02pm On Apr 10, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Good to hear that you are good. Keep grinding. God-willing THE job will find you this year.

Amen o. Thank you.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by SavageBoy: 10:06am On Apr 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Chief I've gotten a Laptop, a core i5 system. I'm starting with Front end web Dev,and I'm making use of Freecodecamp, Odin project, MDN and YouTube. I know you've always being emphasizing on learning DS&A,as it's not only help one become a better programmer, but it's also a sure path to earning well.

But at what point in my learning journey should I start learning DS&A? Is it before or after I've learned JavaScript?
Re: My Journey Into React Native by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:12am On Apr 12, 2022
SavageBoy:

Chief I've gotten a Laptop, a core i5 system. I'm starting with Front end web Dev,and I'm making use of Freecodecamp, Odin project, MDN and YouTube. I know you've always being emphasizing on learning DS&A,as it's not only help one become a better programmer, but it's also a sure path to earning well.

But at what point in my learning journey should I start learning DS&A? Is it before or after I've learned JavaScript?

After you have learned JavaScript.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by 3exe3: 10:19am On Apr 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

JavaScript the programming language of the web

One of its major drawback is ur codes are at the mercy of the client

If JavaScript is turned off on the client ur code will never run

I wonder how most JavaScript programmers deal with this
Re: My Journey Into React Native by SavageBoy: 10:24am On Apr 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Okay,thanks.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 11:18am On Apr 12, 2022
3exe3:

JavaScript the programming language of the web

One of its major drawback is ur codes are at the mercy of the client

If JavaScript is turned off on the client ur code will never run

I wonder how most JavaScript programmers deal with this

Uglify/Babel Transpiler handles that , most toolset rewrite your JS, gone are the days you run your actual JS, almost every JS you write is re-written at some level.

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into React Native by SeunWedsLinda(m): 2:01pm On Apr 12, 2022
SavageBoy:

I got my system and just starting out from scratch as well. Maybe we fit collabo learn this stuff. Share ideas and learning materials where necessary and motivate ourselves bro. Whatcha say?
Re: My Journey Into React Native by jackest1(m): 2:11pm On Apr 12, 2022
qtguru:

I agree, React Native has been a frustrating experience for me, sadly this was a project that was thrown to me, personally I want to move to Flutter/Native for personal projects. But shopify is working bringing the tech that renders in Flutter in React Native. but personally React Native is not for me. I will rather go the Native route and just use a Native framework for development.

Tosyno baba grin

Hello, how are you doing?

Have you transitioned to Flutter?
If yes, congrats
If no, please do. You won't regret it.

Been a Flutter dev for some years now and I can tell you Flutter more than cool
Re: My Journey Into React Native by SavageBoy: 2:41pm On Apr 12, 2022
SeunWedsLinda:
I got my system and just starting out from scratch as well. Maybe we fit collabo learn this stuff. Share ideas and learning materials where necessary and motivate ourselves bro. Whatcha say?

No problem Chief
Re: My Journey Into React Native by SeunWedsLinda(m): 2:44pm On Apr 12, 2022
SavageBoy:

No problem Chief
shot you a pm
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 3:06pm On Apr 12, 2022
jackest1:

Hello, how are you doing?

Have you transitioned to Flutter?
If yes, congrats
If no, please do. You won't regret it.

Been a Flutter dev for some years now and I can tell you Flutter more than cool

Yeah Flutter and Native , I have one side gig coming. I will ask for advice when I start o. I don't like RN
Re: My Journey Into React Native by SeunWedsLinda(m): 12:18pm On Apr 13, 2022
SavageBoy:

No problem Chief
bro u never respond to pm wey I shoot for ur ends
Re: My Journey Into React Native by SavageBoy: 1:34pm On Apr 13, 2022
SeunWedsLinda:
bro u never respond to pm wey I shoot for ur ends

No vex chief, I been dey busy
I go check am,reply you now

@SeunWedsLinda I don't know how this PM stuff works here. I saw the notification that you've messaged me, but I can't see any other thing apart from that... Did you send any message?
And Nairaland isn't allowing me to message you.
This Nairaland na shit!

@Seun pls work on this forum of yours... While you're praying for Buhari to give you a better Nigeria,we're begging you to give us a better Nairaland
Re: My Journey Into React Native by LUAN(m): 8:16pm On Sep 25, 2022
qtguru:
Today i have a major challenge in RN, I have an application called MatterMost it is the open source version of slack, it wasn't built by me, so I need to integrate it into our application. I have been going through the file and my issue is that my current project uses Expo while this uses normal npx react-native.

Mattermost also uses alot of React Native Modules meaning native code exposed to JavaScript, and also React navigation. The complexity is so much that I have decided to jot it down and study the intricacies around it.

Personally I want to move to Flutter because while I can use RN, the headache is so much.

I will update more on this as time goes on.

you are good in it... hope to reach this level in yrs to come
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 8:27pm On Sep 25, 2022
LUAN:
you are good in it... hope to reach this level in yrs to come

I dumped it. Flutter is a better platform, once you know Android Native API, React Native is messy and too unstable for me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Female Programmer Here: Please Help (c Language) / Help On Php Code For A Dice Game / Tytit users keep growing since it launched on 7th September

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.