Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,087 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral (35427 Views)

Desmond Tutu's Ashes Buried Inside Church Floor (Pictures) / Cape Town Drenched In Purple In Memory Of Archbishop Desmond Tutu / Archbishop Desmond Tutu Is Dead. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by fergie001: 11:04am On Dec 30, 2021
#RipArchbishopTutu | Archbishop Thabo Makgabo prays as Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s body arrives at St George’s Cathedral in Cape Town. The Arch to lie in state for two days for members of the public to pay their last respect to #ArchbishopTutu (from 9 am) until 5pm today.

South African Government

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucSOikIECrA

The Cathedral's bells have been ringing for 10 minutes every day at noon since his death. The 1984 Nobel Peace Prize winner died on Sunday, aged 90.

Tutu’s simple pine coffin with rope handles, adorned with a single bunch of white carnations, was carried into St. George’s, which provided a safe haven for anti-apartheid activists during the repressive white-minority rule.

His body was received by Most Revd. Dr. Thabo Cecil Makgoba, Archbishop of Cape Town.

Priests burnt incense as Tutu's simple wooden coffin was carried into the cathedral.

Tutu's eldest daughter Thandeka Tutu-Gxashe, accompanied by other family elders, walked slowly behind as the coffin entered his former parish.

His frail wife Leah had been wheeled into the church earlier.

He had clear wishes for his funeral and plans to honour him;

1.He wanted no ostentatiousness or lavish spending. He, infact, asked that the coffin be the cheapest available.

2.He wanted only the bouquet of carnations from his family to be the only flowers in the cathedral.

3.He also asked that those who wanted to buy flowers send the equivalent amount of money to the two foundations instead.

4.Tutu's body will lie in St. George's Cathedral, his former Cape Town parish for two days; Thursday and Friday.

5.His funeral will hold on New Year’s Day after which his body will be cremated and his ashes placed in the Cathedral.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by daddytime(m): 11:04am On Dec 30, 2021
Hmmmm....

Death....the necessary and unavoidable end of every living thing.

Rest well Bishop.

You've done and ran your race.

Adieu...

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by fergie001: 11:05am On Dec 30, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Jesse6(m): 11:18am On Dec 30, 2021
So his body will be burnt into ashes

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Zonex1(m): 11:33am On Dec 30, 2021
When i die i want to b buried same way...jux a simple casket n no much noise...rest well bishop

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Racoon(m): 11:33am On Dec 30, 2021
Rest on God's servant.

1 Like

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Neimar: 11:33am On Dec 30, 2021
Omo RIP sir

1 Like

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by dklex(m): 11:33am On Dec 30, 2021
Rest in peace sir.

2 Likes

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by ramenojae: 11:34am On Dec 30, 2021
RIP Bishop

2 Likes

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Hezzyluv: 11:34am On Dec 30, 2021
Rip
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by PennywysCares(m): 11:34am On Dec 30, 2021
cry

Death is inevitable; all I'm praying for is God blessing and more money to put things in orders in my family and few people I can reach before I start to d go my own. At least 77- 80yrs even 83 will be ok for me

Rest in peace Archbishop

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Eriokanmi: 11:35am On Dec 30, 2021
Simple casket. I wouldn't be surprised if he gave them that instruction before his passing. . No celebrity funeral or lying-in-state would have looked this simple. All na dust property. Live well in fear of God and kindness to humanity.

So then,everyone shall give the account of himself to God...

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by dklex(m): 11:35am On Dec 30, 2021
modest life till the end

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by charlesedu777: 11:35am On Dec 30, 2021
Simply coffin if Nigeria. There will buy Gold
coffin to show case

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by thorpido(m): 11:36am On Dec 30, 2021
The casket is a simple one.Modest man.
I personally do not like the idea of cremation.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Kolami85: 11:36am On Dec 30, 2021
RIP Bishop
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Nicklaus619(m): 11:36am On Dec 30, 2021
Rest in peace dada, you will be missed cry

1 Like

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by candidbabe(f): 11:36am On Dec 30, 2021
The world is not our own.
We are just passing through.

Sighs!!!!!!!!!!

6 Likes

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Ouchbabe(f): 11:37am On Dec 30, 2021
Death is a call every mortal must answer at the appointed time.
RIP sir, you have fought a good fight.
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Puissant: 11:37am On Dec 30, 2021
”He wanted no ostentatiousness or lavish spending. He, infact, asked that the coffin be the cheapest available”.

In all honesty, we need to realize that once life is out of the body, every other thing is irrelevant.

”He also asked that those who wanted to buy flowers send the equivalent amount of money to the two foundations instead.”

Still in the act of blessing people, even in death.

Rest in Power!

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Ddigit: 11:37am On Dec 30, 2021
RIP Sir
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by illicit(m): 11:38am On Dec 30, 2021
RIP Baba Agbalagba
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by tunapawizzy: 11:38am On Dec 30, 2021
.....we build connection with people in our life only to one day lose them and never see them again....... I dont like the idea of death unfortunately it is the surest thing in life

2 Likes

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by aycorporat(m): 11:38am On Dec 30, 2021
Rest in peace to the illustrious son from Africa to the World.

He displayed rare courage by standing tall for the emancipation of the black race from racism.

A staunch supporter of Nelson Mandela, he showed what true forgiveness is by not allowing the past to tie him down to the ills of apartheid.

Rest on, true servant of God
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by chris4gold(m): 11:40am On Dec 30, 2021
RIP to him
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Bobloco: 11:41am On Dec 30, 2021
“Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.”
Ernest Hemingway,
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by okeyumez(m): 11:41am On Dec 30, 2021
whereas in South east especially in Anambra the family of the dead will tax everyone millions of money for burial of the dead. Expensive casket, Cows, foods and foreign wines will be imported for the burial just for show of affluence and ignorance. Some will even sell their landed property or borrow money from the bank just to please the dead whose soul is already detached from the physical body for transition to the world unknown.

R.I.P TUTU. You were truly a man of God not all these businessmen who parade themselves as Gods servant in Nigeria

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Igbodicool(m): 11:41am On Dec 30, 2021
Only remembered by what we have done.

The memory of the righteous shall not perish.
But at the mention of the wicked like Abacha, Azikiwe, Awolowo and other wicked dead Nigeria leaders, the people hisses.

Good night God's General.
Forever Remembered for Good!

2 Likes

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Goodzinny: 11:41am On Dec 30, 2021
See the simple casket that is used for such an ICON. If it is my fellow countrymen they will borrow money only to import gold casket. Let us learn from this. RIP 'ODOGWU'

5 Likes

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by TMKsouth: 11:42am On Dec 30, 2021
Eriokanmi:

Simple casket. I wouldn't be surprised if he gave them that instruction before his passing. . No celebrity funeral or lying-in-state would have looked this simple. All na dust property. Live well in fear of God and kindness to humanity.

So then,everyone shall give the account of himself to God...

Definitely his request cool

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Eriokanmi: 11:44am On Dec 30, 2021
TMKsouth:

Definitely his request cool
You see. He's like that. I knew it

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Drunk Church Members In Congo Praying (Photos, Video) / Church Elder & Pastor's Son Sleep With Girl Sent To Church For Deliverance / Cultist Vomits 'Demonic Cowries' At TB Joshua’s Church!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.