Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,270 members, 7,954,052 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:31 AM

Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral (35538 Views)

Desmond Tutu's Ashes Buried Inside Church Floor (Pictures) / Cape Town Drenched In Purple In Memory Of Archbishop Desmond Tutu / Archbishop Desmond Tutu Is Dead. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by sugbontabi: 11:45am On Dec 30, 2021
Rip
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by PrinceOfLagos: 11:46am On Dec 30, 2021
Rip man of the most high God
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by TMKsouth: 11:46am On Dec 30, 2021
fergie001:

Priests burnt incense as Tutu's simple wooden coffin was carried into the cathedral.

Pine coffins look so cool especially when you know the deceased was rich but chose modesty. I want one of these for myself one day - 5 decades from now though grin
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by majamajic(m): 11:47am On Dec 30, 2021
The coffin might look simple
But it's not cheap , look closely

1 Like

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by YourFavorite21(m): 11:47am On Dec 30, 2021
Rest on sir.
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Prenonjebose: 11:50am On Dec 30, 2021
Simplicity exemplified even in death
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by nathyx(m): 11:50am On Dec 30, 2021
How did a man of his statue suit into that wooden Casket remains a deep mystery
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by MufasaLion: 11:51am On Dec 30, 2021
TMKsouth:

Pine coffins look so cool especially when you know the deceased was rich but chose modesty. I want one of these for myself one day - 5 decades from now though grin

Lol

You'd be 80+ by then. I fear death, really.

1 Like

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 30, 2021
majamajic:
The coffin might look simple
But it's not cheap , look closely
It's the cheapest for the wealthy grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Faber(m): 11:52am On Dec 30, 2021
R.I.P Bishop Tutu. You were really a voice of the voiceless.

Desmond Tutu and Pope John Paul II really showed apartheid pepper. Pope John Paul II only visited South Africa when Mandela was freed.

2 Likes

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by TMKsouth: 11:53am On Dec 30, 2021
Nicklaus619:
Rest in peace data, you will be missed cry

Tata. Not data cheesy
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by jimtemi1: 11:54am On Dec 30, 2021
Jesse6:
So his body will be burnt into ashes
GO school, u won't listen ..they said they burnt incence on the casket... Like perfume or turari
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by TMKsouth: 11:54am On Dec 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

Lol

You'd be 80+ by then. I fear death, really.

Yeah, 88 - I did the calculations grin Don't wanna live til the 90s with leathery skin.
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by fergie001: 11:54am On Dec 30, 2021
TMKsouth:
grin cheesy

Makgoba was really young before he was elected Primate.....In Nigeria here, you can't be until you are in your very late 50s. Well, the number of Priests here triple that over there.
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by majamajic(m): 11:55am On Dec 30, 2021
MALIGNANTGuest:

It's the cheapest for the wealthy grin cheesy

Until u hear the name of the italian maker
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by TMKsouth: 11:56am On Dec 30, 2021
fergie001:

grin cheesy

Makgoba was really young before he was elected Primate.....In Nigeria here, you can't be until you are in your very late 50s. Well, the number of Priests here triple that over there.

Yeah, I think religion faces an existential crisis in many quarters of SA except charismatuc churches of course.
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by jaxxy(m): 11:57am On Dec 30, 2021
dklex:
modest life till the end

Many of our modern day pastors are not modest and I don’t know why. It’s like they are competing for a Worldly crown or goal.

There is also a sheer arrogance or corkiness that 80% them carry or maybe I’m just imagining or assuming this bt I think I know humility when I see it.

Some are ready to insult people who challenge them with fowl language and derogatory words bt are pastors and Christians.

No man is perfect bt Desmond Tutu gave his best in a modest and respectable way.

2 Likes

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Nicklaus619(m): 11:58am On Dec 30, 2021
TMKsouth:

Tata. Not data cheesy

Wanted to say dada self, my phone auto correct just dey show himself grin

1 Like

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by MufasaLion: 11:58am On Dec 30, 2021
TMKsouth:

Yeah, 88 - I did the calculations grin Don't wanna live til the 90s with leathery skin.

Lol

5 decades is almost here. Enjoy your life till then, cheers!
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by MufasaLion: 11:59am On Dec 30, 2021
jaxxy:

Many of our modern day pastors are not modest and I don’t know why. It’s like they are competing for a Worldly crown or goal.

There is also a sheer arrogance or corkiness that 80% them carry or maybe I’m just imagining or assuming this bt I think I know humility when I see it.

No man is perfect bt Desmond Tutu have his best in a modest and respectable way.

The bolded is apt!

1 Like

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by MufasaLion: 12:01pm On Dec 30, 2021
jimtemi1:
GO school, u won't listen ..they said they burnt incence on the casket... Like perfume or turari

You sound dumb! It was stated that his body will be cremated. You really need to get educated!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Bobloco: 12:01pm On Dec 30, 2021
jimtemi1:

You could save saved your self this embarrassment by taking time to read

5.His funeral will hold on New Year’s Day after which his body will be cremated and his ashes placed in the Cathedral.

2 Likes

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by PARADIZEPRIEST: 12:01pm On Dec 30, 2021
TOOO TOO BAD, cry AFRICA NO GET MOUTH PIECES AGAIN,BISHOP TUTU HAS GONE,MANDELA HAD LONG GONE TOO, JULIUS NYERERE,ALL GONE. THESE ARE LEGENDS OF AFRICA THAT ARE VOCAL AND OYIBO LISTEN AND BEHAVE.undecided

1 Like

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by fergie001: 12:02pm On Dec 30, 2021
TMKsouth:
Yeah, I think religion faces an existential crisis in many quarters of SA except charismatuc churches of course.
I think the population, competition etc......Here, Nigeria has over 160 dioceses compared to SA's 25 (I am speaking of the Anglican Church).
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by israelmao(m): 12:03pm On Dec 30, 2021
Humility till death
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by JOemmy(m): 12:03pm On Dec 30, 2021
Why cremate the body were the church get that kind of tradition from?
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by sageb: 12:11pm On Dec 30, 2021
fergie001:

South African Government

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucSOikIECrA

The Cathedral's bells have been ringing for 10 minutes every day at noon since his death. The 1984 Nobel Peace Prize winner died on Sunday, aged 90.

Tutu’s simple pine coffin with rope handles, adorned with a single bunch of white carnations, was carried into St. George’s, which provided a safe haven for anti-apartheid activists during the repressive white-minority rule.

His body was received by Most Revd. Dr. Thabo Cecil Makgoba, Archbishop of Cape Town.

Priests burnt incense as Tutu's simple wooden coffin was carried into the cathedral.

Tutu's eldest daughter Thandeka Tutu-Gxashe, accompanied by other family elders, walked slowly behind as the coffin entered his former parish.

His frail wife Leah had been wheeled into the church earlier.

He had clear wishes for his funeral and plans to honour him;

Goodbye Archbishop
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Bunmhi(f): 12:14pm On Dec 30, 2021
RIP
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Elidrisy20: 12:14pm On Dec 30, 2021
Gay go to hell
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by esanmantruth: 12:25pm On Dec 30, 2021
What you don’t understand is that in Nigeria that casket is another project to be supervised by another body to chop paper currency. If the coffin na $5k, the body of that funeral department will increase it to $15k. That is why they need something they can defend to be bought if there is inflations by the bodies.
Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by gazza07(m): 12:32pm On Dec 30, 2021
Great mind and a great human being. Humanity is what archbishop Desmond Tutu is all about. His death is a big lost to the world entirely. Rest in peace my dear friend

1 Like

Re: Funeral: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Lies In Repose At His Old Cathedral by Navalsadiq(m): 12:35pm On Dec 30, 2021
He was a grt man.

Rest in peace ARCH BISHOP DESMOND TUTU

may your good deeds speak for you on heaven

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DSS Arrests Apostle Johnson Suleman Over Comment On Fulani Herdsmen / Does God Tell Us Who to Marry? / Drunk Church Members In Congo Praying (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.