Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,391 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright (23855 Views)

Ian Wright Tells The NFF To Pay The Super Falcons. / Africa Cup Of Nations: Guide To AFCON 2021 Full Fixture List And Star Players / "Olga Allegra's Easter Post Is Disrespectful" - Nigerian Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by specialmati(m): 6:37pm On Dec 30, 2021
cool cool cool cool
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by BlackfireX: 6:37pm On Dec 30, 2021
Who is Ian left??
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by Uyi168: 6:39pm On Dec 30, 2021
KillAlabi2021:
Ian Wright or whatever

Can you come back to Africa your motherland

If not

Shut up forever

African is a continent nobody is proud to come from

Shittty continent filled with shiity humans tongue
U such a dickhead.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by RomanGreen: 6:40pm On Dec 30, 2021
Says a man who also disrespected his own native Jamaican National team by playing for England, y'all black ex soccer players who never played for your roots should shut up abeg, if y'all had played for your father's country, just may all the respect and attention will be there now

2 Likes

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by RomanGreen: 6:41pm On Dec 30, 2021
KillAlabi2021:
Ian Wright or whatever

If not

Shut up forever

don't mind the fool, he's from Jamaica yet choose to play for England
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by staga: 6:43pm On Dec 30, 2021
chloride6:
Why can't they play the competition in June/July like everyone else?

Why must we do things like everyone else? Colonial mentality at work.

When are the rains heaviest in this part of the world? In January or in June? Some of you need to have some sense drilled into your skulls.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by tuna85: 6:43pm On Dec 30, 2021
Omicron007:
shocked

I blame Africans for this.
We could not develop our local leagues, our stars have to travel abroad to play for foreign teams.
Where are the standard sporting facilities?
Where are the coaching institutions?

We worship foreign leagues.
Who can tell me the coach of Wiki Tourists without surfing the net.

In the Nations Cup, there are lots of substandard and abysmal performance from coaches and staff.
Poor preparations and wrong timing.

We deserve everything we get.

Just what I was about saying. I totally agree with this.
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by staga: 6:44pm On Dec 30, 2021
KillAlabi2021:
Ian Wright or whatever

If not

Shut up forever

Yet you are on an online forum created by an African. Why not go to your slave masters in Europe and suck their toes?

4 Likes

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by Mccullum: 6:47pm On Dec 30, 2021
Not your nationality, not the country you claimed,

If you're black, your origin is from Africa,

That's what wright and Viera displayed by expressing their supports for AFCON,

European football clubs are racists, selfish and disrespectful to Africa Football,

Can they do that to players from North and South America?

Next year AFCON will come to pass with a lot funs and memorable actions.

2 Likes

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by tctrills: 6:48pm On Dec 30, 2021
ArchiLimited:
Even Africans are disrespectful to Africa. Most Africans, including the ones living in the west, are actually not proud of their roots. A typical example from this article, we can see that only ONE out of the hundreds of Europe based African players have spoken out in defence of AFCON amidst the western media backlash. I listened to Trevoh Noah talking about his African roots with great pride on American national TV without any apology and I was like, this is it. If all Africans talked like this about Africa, trust me we've gotten on the right track
We all are proud of different things. It's a matter of choice
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by chloride6: 6:48pm On Dec 30, 2021
staga:

Why must we do things like everyone else? Colonial mentality at work.

When are the rains heaviest in this part of the world? In January or in June? Some of you need to have some sense drilled into your skulls.

Chaos is the lack of order...

Imagine if the six continents decided to play their tournaments in 6 separate months?

One in October, another in December, February, March etc...

How would that be a sustainable arrangement?

Everyone in the world except AFCON plays their tournament in June, so what is so special in it?

1 Like

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by tctrills: 6:49pm On Dec 30, 2021
GodIsBiafran:
Europeans are FUNDAMENTALLY racists.
No they are not but you seem to be a racists.
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by Karleb(m): 6:50pm On Dec 30, 2021
Respect is earned. Africa does not respect herself.

The whites no dey try sha
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by Temptee101(m): 6:50pm On Dec 30, 2021
shocked

Why won't they disrespect Africa?

Is Africa not a disgrace and shame to the rest of the world?

Tell me the continent that is half as blessed and favoured by God like Africa. In all these abundant wealth,we allowed greed, selfishness, tribalism, wickedness, witchcraft, corruption etc,... destroy us.

See how far other continents have left us behind because our selfish, greedy, evil, corrupt leaders.

Shame on Africa.

1 Like

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by BigBashiru: 6:55pm On Dec 30, 2021
ArchiLimited:
Even Africans are disrespectful to Africa. Most Africans, including the ones living in the west, are actually not proud of their roots. A typical example from this article, we can see that only ONE out of the hundreds of Europe based African players have spoken out in defence of AFCON amidst the western media backlash. I listened to Trevoh Noah talking about his African roots with great pride on American national TV without any apology and I was like, this is it. If all Africans talked like this about Africa, trust me we've gotten on the right track.

Contact me for fantastic building designs and construction that is in line with modern design and construction trends. Chat/call 0 8 1 6 1 2 4 7 8 9 8 to start with current samples

British, German and French media have instilled inferiority complex in Africans using such terms as "third world countries", etc...

but in truth African States are superior to those 3 countries but the Africans themselves don't see this due to years of colonial brainwashing...

2 Likes

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by ShoeShineGuy: 6:55pm On Dec 30, 2021
And now Osimhen has reportedly tested positive to COVID-one-nine. Let's hope the others won't start testing positive in the days ahead. It's a known fact that these clubsides would do anything to stop their players from coming to represent their countries at the AFCON. They are unfairly so biased towards us. Irrespective of the timings, it would still be the same issue and I wonder why it's not the same story when it's time for the likes of COPA, EUROS or even CONCACAF & AFC championhips..
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by Kaypriince(m): 7:08pm On Dec 30, 2021
Before we talk about racism,let look at it from this angle, the afcon shouldn’t be played at the time every clubs around the world are in action,why can’t it be played during the summer,na Caf Dey downgrade d tournament
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by uunwanaobong3: 7:13pm On Dec 30, 2021
Historical Records set by mancity and guardiola in 2021 calenders year without a striker:

Most top-flight wins in a calendar year: 36

Most Premier League goals in a calendar year: 113

Most top-flight away wins in a calendar year: 19

Most consecutive wins in all competitions from a top-flight side: 21 (run started in 2020)

Most consecutive league wins from the start of a calendar year: 13

Most consecutive away wins in all competitions for a top-flight team: 20 (run started in 2020)

Most consecutive unbeaten away matches without defeat: 23 (run started in 2020)

Most consecutive away league wins (top four divisions): 12

Most City games without defeat in all competitions: 28 (run started in 2020)

As well as their brilliant success at senior level, City also dominated academy football, too, becoming the first side to win the Premier League, Premier League 2 (u23) and u18 Premier League in the same season.

Pep Guardiola also set a club record of his own, becoming the most successful City manager of all time when City beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge - his 221st win in 303 games, surpassing Les McDowall's record of 220 wins in 593 games.

Guardiola also became the quickest manager to reach 150 Premier League wins, doing so in 204 games - 26 fixtures fewer than Jose Mourinho.

And the recent 7-0 win over Leeds saw Guardiola become the quickest manager to oversee 500 top-flight goals in English football after just 207 games, overtaking Jurgen Klopp who took 234 games to reach that landmark.

What a team, what a coach........ All this without a STRIKER? Unbelievable
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by Angelfrost(m): 7:14pm On Dec 30, 2021
Well, for starters... Why does Afcon have to be in January which is the middle of the season for all top leagues across the world?!!

Copa America, Euro, and World cup always take this into cognizance, why can't Africa?!!

If they did, we won't have such issues or complaints... Football is now a universal thing. Africa ought to get with the times.

If they did it like others, it would promote more participation and coverage, not just from the players but the major community of football and the media... This will further improve and increase the standing of the competition.

It all comes down to mutual understanding and cooperation.

Racism is real, yes... But let's not make a meal out of everything!!! Afcon needs to be better organized and coordinated with top clubs and leagues carried along. It's not that hard.

1 Like

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by Hndrrxxx(m): 7:14pm On Dec 30, 2021
KillAlabi2021:
Ian Wright or whatever

If not

Shut up forever

shut your damn mouth 'fore you dropped , nigga
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by iramure(m): 7:16pm On Dec 30, 2021
I've long known that the oyinbo people see Africans like shit who are nothing but space occupying fools. They made us look completely inferior and helped us demonized our culture and tradition while theirs is the superior. Apart from the technology and education I see as the only positive I gain from them, all others including the rubbish religion(xttain and islam) and other brain washing theories are great disrespect to us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by phemmyfour: 7:25pm On Dec 30, 2021
Coming from hypocrites

Wright chose England over Jamaica

Viera chose France over Senegal
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by BigBashiru: 7:25pm On Dec 30, 2021
Karleb:
Respect is earned. Africa does not respect herself.

The whites no dey try sha

it's France Britain and Germany that installs puppet leaders in African States that makes it look as if African countries don't respect themselves....those three countries are THIEVES.... they held the Berlin conference in the 1800s.... to divide up Africa for themselves and till today they haven't left Africa alone....

1 Like

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by phemmyfour: 7:26pm On Dec 30, 2021
Angelfrost:
Well, for starters... Why does Afcon have to be in January which is the middle of the season for all top leagues across the world?!!

Copa America, Euro, and World cup always take this into cognizance, why can't Africa?!!

If they did, we won't have such issues or complaints... Football is now a universal thing. Africa ought to get with the times.

If they did it like others, it would promote more participation and coverage, not just from the players but the major community of football and the media... This will further improve and increase the standing of the competition.

It all comes down to mutual understanding and cooperation.

Racism is real, yes... But let's not make a meal out of everything!!! Afcon needs to be better organized and coordinated with top clubs and leagues carried along. It's not that hard.
That's when we have favourable weather. June/July is raining season here

1 Like

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by NemoDatQuod(m): 7:26pm On Dec 30, 2021
This has nothing to do with racism. Ian Wright is not an African and should have stayed home on this one.

The reason why AFCON is direspected and deemed a non-event is the very low quality of everything related to it: quality of officiating; quality of the players themselves once they no longer have these fantastic coaches and teammates around them and even more so, the quality of the broadcast. Let's not even start with the corruption that had stained nearly every aspect of football administration in Africa.

Yes, let us get angry at the dismissal of AFCON by Europeans. But let it be the right sort of anger - anger and demand for change at the way AFCON and African football is run. Don't expect people to respect you just because you are a human being. Do the hardwork of making yourself respectable and you will be respected.

Eff AFCON!

GodIsBiafran:
Europeans are FUNDAMENTALLY racists.

1 Like

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by phemmyfour: 7:28pm On Dec 30, 2021
KillAlabi2021:
Ian Wright or whatever

If not

Shut up forever

Don't mind him, he played for England instead of Jamaica. Raheem Sterling is already following his footsteps
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by Angelfrost(m): 7:29pm On Dec 30, 2021
phemmyfour:
That's when we have favourable weather. June/July is raining season here

Really??! The whole of Africa??!... Wow!

In that case... The rest of the Europe will just have to bear with us! undecided
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by Karleb(m): 7:30pm On Dec 30, 2021
BigBashiru:

it's France Britain and Germany that installs puppet leaders in African States that makes it look as if African countries don't respect themselves....those three countries are THIEVES.... they held the Berlin conference in the 1800s.... to divide up Africa for themselves and till today they haven't left Africa alone....

We can keep blaming them.

But look at Nigeria for example, look at how our leaders are making a fool of themselves and you expect any developed society to respect that? undecided

Funny thing is, as worse as Nigeria is, she is better than a lot of countries in Africa.
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by phemmyfour: 7:32pm On Dec 30, 2021
Angelfrost:

Really??! The whole of Africa??!... Wow!

In that case... The rest of the Europe will just have to bear with us! undecided
The competition has always been held in January/Feb/March since 1950s, they should stop complaining

Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by Sleekfingers: 7:34pm On Dec 30, 2021
ogbiwa:
The Africa Cup of Nations is being "disrespected" by some negative media coverage, says former England and Arsenal striker Ian Wright.

The 24-team competition begins on 9 January and will feature a host of Premier League and European stars.

Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira is among those to also call for the tournament to be given more respect.

"Is there ever a tournament more disrespected than the Africa Cup of Nations?" Wright said on Instagram.

On the media coverage around Afcon he claimed: "There is no greater honour than representing your country. The coverage is completely tinged with racism.

"We played our Euros across 10 countries in the middle of a pandemic and there's no issue at all. But Cameroon, a single country hosting a tournament, is a problem.

"There are players getting asked if they will be honouring the call-ups to their national teams. Imagine if that was an England player representing the Three Lions. Can you imagine the furore?"

Ajax's Ivory Coast striker Sebastien Haller said the suggestion a player would want to miss the tournament to play for their club "shows the disrespect for Africa".

He told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf: "Would this [question] ever have been asked to a European player towards a European Championship?

"Of course I will go to represent Ivory Coast. That is the highest honour."

However, the 27-year-old said having to miss club games "is very frustrating". Haller added: "I hate having to choose between my country and my club."

Although several Premier League clubs will be without key players in January - including Crystal Palace who are set to lose Cheikhou Kouyate, Wilfried Zaha and Jordan Ayew - Eagles boss Vieira echoed Haller's sentiments.

"I respect and understand the passion and the importance to players to go and represent their country so I will never stop any player going to play the Africa Cup of Nations," said Vieira, a World Cup and European Championship winner as a player with France.

"I believe that competition needs to be more respected - because this competition is as important as the European Championships."

Title hopefuls Liverpool face significant absences, with the Premier League's leading scorer Mohamed Salah, fellow forward Sadio Mane and midfielder Naby Keita set to take part in the tournament.

Leaders Manchester City will lose Riyad Mahrez, while second-placed Chelsea will be without goalkeeper Edouard Mendy and West Ham's Said Benrahma will be with Algeria.

Leeds United, Newcastle United, Norwich City and Tottenham are the only Premier League clubs not losing any players for the tournament.

Players are allowed to play for their clubs until 3 January before leaving for the Africa Cup of Nations after Fifa rules stating clubs must release players by 27 December was changed "in the spirit of goodwill and solidarity".

"Loads of the best players in Europe right now are African," said Wright.

"If we love them at club level why can't we love them at international level like their counterparts across the globe? Why is this tournament constantly getting so much flak?

"I have got to give a shout out to the players like Sebastien Haller who are taking a stand against the media backlash, plus Patrick Vieira for coming out and speaking about this.

"This is why it is important to have a black manager who can let people understand where his roots are and how important this tournament is for African people.

"I want to wish Cameroon every success in hosting this tournament and and all the very best to the players and the fans."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59825904

Na now una eyes dey open abi?
Re: Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright by IronGalaxy: 7:35pm On Dec 30, 2021
KillAlabi2021:
Ian Wright or whatever

If not

Shut up forever

Please speak for yourself

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Doping Violations: Blessing Okagbare Reacts To 10-Year Ban / Cristiano Ronaldo And Lionel Messi Will Not Win Ballon D'or - Kylian Mbappe / Super Eagles Team Arrives Kaduna (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.