Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos (31974 Views)

2023: I’ve Seen The Next President Of Nigeria – Babangida / Imoh Williams, LGA Chairman Suspended Over Assault On Man Who Called Him Out / Akan Imoh, 27-Year-Old Contesting For Lagos State House Of Assembly. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by GidiCars: 1:40pm On Dec 31, 2021
dasparrow:

You are lying! I don't know what is wrong with some of you Nigerians. America is my second home. Lived in U.S longer than I ever lived in Nigeria or in Western Europe where I was born. There are more homeless people than there are homeless shelters. I should know because I used to volunteer in shelters in the United States. And no, the shelters don't take all homeless people in or help the homeless with jobs, health insurance, etc.

There are so many Americans who are not homeless and have no health insurance coverage how much more the homeless.

Also, not all homeless people are drug addicts or people with mental health issues. Some are regular folks who lost their jobs, could no longer make rent and found themselves on the street. Most Americans are only 1 paycheck away from ending up on the street.

REAL Americans tell the truth about their country America unlike African migrants like you who stay hyping other people's country more than your own. America is on a downward spiral. Americans know this and talk about it all the time but African migrants like you will come online to lie about a country that you don't even originally come from because many of you are so thirsty for validation from Nigerians in Nigeria and want Nigerians in Nigeria to worship your azz all because you reside in America.

So many Americans are running away from America and migrating to countries in South and Central America, Asia, Australia and to Africa. Yes, you heard me, AFRICA!

Keep hyping America and don't go and fix your homeland. As a Black African, you will always be looked down upon no matter where you live on earth until you develop your homeland. America is not your ancestral land. Go and develop your ancestral land in Nigeria Africa.

When the idi*t claimed that homeless people have access to healthcare in America, I knew he was talking nonsense and had no Idea what he's talking about. It's very easy to spot ignorant people like him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by ChiefS(m): 1:43pm On Dec 31, 2021
richmote:

Please also analyse the cost of living in both countries and quality of living based on cost.
I don’t know if I make sense

Nigerians are suffering and managing

I don’t know why you people will compare USA and Nigeria

Both cost of living and quality of life is higher in USA than in Nigeria. Things are very expensive over there. However, they earn a living wage quite higher than what we earn in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 1:43pm On Dec 31, 2021
Somatohadidas:
You need to adjust for population size.

Nonetheless, Nigeria has far higher numbers than the US in totality.
Adjust for population size? Why?. undecided
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 1:46pm On Dec 31, 2021
GidiCars:
homeless people have access to healthcare in America,
Yes, they do. undecided
Research shows that about 40% of homeless individuals are insured under Medicare and Medicaid. The remaining 60% have no insurance, though many are eligible for Medicare or Medicaid due to their age or disability status. https://www.forbes.com/sites/sachinjain/2021/04/17/homelessness-is-a-healthcare-issue-why-dont-we-treat-it-as-one/?sh=4b8c88aa77e3

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by usagee36: 1:49pm On Dec 31, 2021
Haha if you are in America and cry for food, then you need your head to be examined. Most of these homeless people are on drugs, lazy, fvckd up records.

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by GidiCars: 1:57pm On Dec 31, 2021
FreeIgboho:

He’s right. See below. And these are real jobs with benefits. Not 100k a month jobs

That's not true, most of those Job openings off shitty pay and are not sustainable. You'd have to work like 3 jobs to keep up.

If you use Reddit, kindly visit r/antiwork so you can see how people complain. Most of those jobs don't pay well.

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by IPIGSRSHALLOW: 2:03pm On Dec 31, 2021
ChiefS:

While America is far ahead of Nigeria, many Nigerians think its El dorado.I'm not sure there are more homeless people in America than Nigeria as it has not been validated by research. Accommodation is very expensive over there. I was shocked to see beggars in America when I visited. I remember giving a beggar some money in USA.

The US is the richest country on earth and in the history of nations yet it has many many problems.
The US is great and I'll always be indebted to this nation for all the opportunities but it has it's own share of problems.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Starzo: 2:33pm On Dec 31, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:
There are many car owners that are very broke in Nigeria Dont believe that hype o Is it not in my area I saw many people selling stuff out of their cars ? Some even sleep in their cars Not dem say I SAW it Owning a car does not mean anything ooooo
did you see anyone of them with 2020 Corolla?
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by omostar: 2:38pm On Dec 31, 2021
Abfinest007:
I perfer living homeless abroad than Nigeria .
With that their harsh weather? Naa
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Somatohadidas(m): 2:47pm On Dec 31, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Adjust for population size? Why?. undecided

Cos both countries don't have the same population size.

Many make this mistake while comparing things, places, countries, and the likes. To be fair with comparison, you need to scale the quantity of interest by the same weight. Say, the number of homeless people per 10 000, 100 000 0r 1 000 000 inhabitants and so on.

This reminds me of the recent arrow attacks that killed people in Norway. There were people saying the country is still very peaceful compared with the US death rates from such attacks. However, the pro-US group of the arguments brought in the population sizes of the two countries and said it was because the US has a larger pop size (which is true) than Norway. It was only when such attacks in the two countries were compared per 100 000 people (scaled)of the population that they realized the US indeed has higher rates of such attacks than Norway.

I hope I was able to make myself clear with the explanation.

PS: I'm not here to take any sides

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by lereinter(m): 2:52pm On Dec 31, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

We all know that the United states is better than Nigeria but stop acting like everything is perfect in that country

there are lot of videos on YouTube of homelessness in the United states.

So stop trying to hype homeless people in the United states.

It is the worst thing ever. You can literally die in the winter

Who said everything is perfect anywhere

Just mention one thing perfect here

Do you know how many years they have been building Lagos - Ibadan expressway

If one hurricane should happen in any state in nigeria, the state can never stand again

How many houses do they build well or borehole in other to get water in USA

Abeg shift

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by lereinter(m): 2:53pm On Dec 31, 2021
Idiot comparison
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by TommyGs(m): 3:14pm On Dec 31, 2021
ModestGal:

Hey, I don't completely agree with you on your analysis. Especially with the credit card theory. That one is a killer, cos when you fail to repay the money you spent. Your life just begin the go down as you will struggle later in your life time to repay the money. But in nails, you can always go back home to your permanent residence or close pals could house you for a while. They don't help kike this abroad!

Keep decieving yourself
Anyone who is homeless in Canada (I live in Canada) has either chosen to be homeless, working on some great idea, struggling for the moment, drug addicts, with mental illness, has criminal charges.
If an immigrant can have a home, then, no reason why someone brought up in the system would be homeless. Also,most homeless people are homeless just for a while. But people in Nigeria, will start their lives as homeless and end it as homeless. Comparing Nigeria to the Western world is like comparing ant to an elephant. And yes,, there are more opportunities in the Western world than in Nigeria. Supports right and left. Stop decieving people, you are vexing me

There is credit card, which means you can borrow for a while, and their are houses of $450,shared apartments,etc. If you work in AA factory, anyone should be able to make that in a month to keep himself warm in a home.
You can rent room together with your friend just like in Nigeria. And these western worldss have immigrants from all over the world that could also lead to lots of people being homeless, but most of these people would be homeless for a while till things get better.
And also,, no mosquitoes,so if they are homeless,at least no mosquito to disturb their sleep

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:25pm On Dec 31, 2021
Somatohadidas:
Cos both countries don't have the same population size.

Many make this mistake while comparing things, places, countries, and the likes. To be fair with comparison, you need to scale the quantity of interest by the same weight. Say, the number of homeless people per 10 000, 100 000 0r 1 000 000 inhabitants and so on.

This reminds me of the recent arrow attacks that killed people in Norway. There were people saying the country is still very peaceful compared with the US death rates from such attacks. However, the pro-US group of the arguments brought in the population sizes of the two countries and said it was because the US has a larger pop size (which is true) than Norway. It was only when such attacks in the two countries were compared per 100 000 people (scaled)of the population that they realized the US indeed has higher rates of such attacks than Norway.

I hope I was able to make myself clear with the explanation.

PS: I'm not here to take any sides
I see what you mean. undecided

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:27pm On Dec 31, 2021
GidiCars:
That's not true, most of those Job openings off shitty pay and are not sustainable. You'd have to work like 3 jobs to keep up.

If you use Reddit, kindly visit r/antiwork so you can see how people complain. Most of those jobs don't pay well.
Not necessarily true. From personal experience, the minimum wage is high enough that if you lived in a smaller city, you could still afford a decent living. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by planetx: 5:27pm On Dec 31, 2021
This is only surprising to Nigerians that form their impression of America from Hollywood movies.

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by ReeLoaDead(m): 5:29pm On Dec 31, 2021
IPIGSRSHALLOW:
Most major cities the US have major homelessness wahala. Homelessness, begging for money and major crimes makes Nigeria looks like heaven.

A Nigerian was just killed 4 days ago for absolutely nothing. I feel at peace whenever I'm in Nigeria.
Wow … Nigeria is safer than USA? With all the armed robberies, kidnappings and Boko Haram killings?

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by planetx: 5:33pm On Dec 31, 2021
marenkurz:
Homelessness in developed world is self inflicted. There are free government housing they can move in to. But because they can't abide by the rules of those housing, they stay on the street.
By the way, one has to be extremely useless to be out of the system.
Free housing indeed, I doubt you have ever left Nigeria before. Maybe it is those nasty shelters you are calling free housing.

4 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by planetx: 5:39pm On Dec 31, 2021
dasparrow:
I will keep educating some of you because I can't stand lies and ignorance!
You can't really blame them, the Western media propaganda and brainwashing is thorough and very efficient.

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by FreeIgboho: 5:50pm On Dec 31, 2021
GidiCars:

What is the minimum wage in New York? Google it

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by FreeIgboho: 6:03pm On Dec 31, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Force to them to which indoor?
There are lot of cases if homeless people freezing to death during the winter, just search on Google

The police force them to go to shelters - that’s the law.

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by FreeIgboho: 6:07pm On Dec 31, 2021
almarthins:

He said 30% of lagosian re homeless

We have to first define homeless. Many “homeless” people in US are housed better than Nigerian lower class. They all also get a free smart phone with unlimited data

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by IPIGSRSHALLOW: 6:08pm On Dec 31, 2021
ReeLoaDead:

Wow … Nigeria is safer than USA? With all the armed robberies, kidnappings and Boko Haram killings?

Lagos, is far safe than most large cities in the US.
Only if you know how many people are killed in the city of Chicago alone on weekly basis.
Google is your friend, try doing some research.

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by FreeIgboho: 6:14pm On Dec 31, 2021
planetx:
Free housing indeed, I doubt you have ever left Nigeria before. Maybe it is those nasty shelters you are calling free housing.

You obviously have never been homeless in USA. If only poor countries knew how these rich countries live. No, the shelters are not nasty at all. Homeless people are pampered, why some people actually choose it.
Do you know they all get smart phone with unlimited data?

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by FreeIgboho: 6:19pm On Dec 31, 2021
IPIGSRSHALLOW:

Only if you know how many people are killed in the city of Chicago alone on weekly basis.

Only if u r a certain demography or live in certain areas. Lots of Nigerians live in US. I bet you they all feel safer in US than Nigeria, not just theory
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by almarthins(m): 7:24pm On Dec 31, 2021
FreeIgboho:

We have to first define homeless. Many “homeless” people in US are housed better than Nigerian lower class. They all also get a free smart phone with unlimited data

In Nigeria person wey dey 1 room face me I face you house considered him self homed. Him no dey under bridge or begging for alm. Their case is different from sm one wey dey sleep inside cardboard. If d matter come worst sm pple go back to their village. Except sm who don't want to shamed n decided to be under the element. We have a culture n we stop weighing everything in Africa by Western standard. 30% dey wicked o

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by ReeLoaDead(m): 7:25pm On Dec 31, 2021
IPIGSRSHALLOW:

The killings in Chicago are concentrated in one area …. Sometimes you need to stop googling and actually go to chi-town and see things for your self … only an ignoramus like you will claim Lagos is better grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by IPIGSRSHALLOW: 7:31pm On Dec 31, 2021
FreeIgboho:

Only if u r a certain demography or live in certain areas. Lots of Nigerians live in US. I bet you they all feel safer in US than Nigeria, not just theory

Crimes in demographics and different parts of any city applies just any city you can think of.
Don't even think for a second of venturing into South south Chicago or West End in Atlanta. Sure certain parts of Lagos are also more dangerous than others.
Nigeria as a whole is more dangerous than the US but Lagos is much safer than most US cities.
Also, most crimes in Nigeria are committed by those that you don't know while most in the US are committed by those that you know.
Statistically speaking, there are more murders in US per capital than in Nigeria.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by FreeIgboho: 7:41pm On Dec 31, 2021
IPIGSRSHALLOW:

Crimes in demographics and different parts of any city applies just any city you can think of.
Don't even think for a second of venturing into South south Chicago or West End in Atlanta. Sure certain parts of Lagos are also more dangerous than others.
Nigeria as a whole is more dangerous than the US but Lagos is much safer than most US cities.
Also, most crimes in Nigeria are committed by those that you don't know while most in the US are committed by those that you know.
Statistically speaking, there are more murders in US per capital than in Nigeria.
All I know is if I’m walking down the street with a backpack of money and my phone, in US the police won’t want to know what’s in my bag or phone for no reason and I won’t be kidnapped!
Nigeria OF TODAY is more dangerous than US. Police may rob u themselves, and won’t show up if you are being robbed!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Know Politicians Who Have Suddenly Turned Billionaires – Amaechi / Friday Olokor Of The Punch Newspaper Brutalized By Police, DSS Operatives / Sale Ahmad Sale 'Baban Hassan' Killed By Nigerian Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.