Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,315 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos (31963 Views)

2023: I’ve Seen The Next President Of Nigeria – Babangida / Imoh Williams, LGA Chairman Suspended Over Assault On Man Who Called Him Out / Akan Imoh, 27-Year-Old Contesting For Lagos State House Of Assembly. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by PaedophileProph: 2:58am On Dec 31, 2021
That's a lie .
See, there are states in America, without paper , no one is gonna hire you despite the Millions of Waiting Jobs , no grant or aid , you practically live by begging or by mercy or grace someone can hire you domestically, but your not having proper documentation is a huge embargo on its own making everyone apprehensive about you .
But states like Florida, Indiana etc can hire you even without complete paper, na mostly Agency jobsoooo.

Secondly, when you are an exconvict as a citizen, you not gonna have job aside from mania community stuffs .

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Exkandayee(m): 3:00am On Dec 31, 2021
Some people are crazy, I've lived in the states for 5 years before had problem,and I'll tell you guy's that, This actor talking shiiiittt don't know America,40% homeless people in America choose to be like that, because they don't like what the government is doing,if you ask them, you'll hear crazy crazy reasons,then another 30% because of debt,so forget all this things, you can never compare us to Nigeria,who deh do that one,

9 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by salesbloo: 3:01am On Dec 31, 2021
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by UnabashedIPOB: 3:03am On Dec 31, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
I do watch lot of YouTube videos interviews of homeless people in America, damn, homelessness is an epidemic in the United states.

Like homeless men and women living in cardboard boxes, something i have never seen in Nigeria before.

I saw a video of a whole street literally filled with homeless people in America, it was shocking.

The worst is being homeless during the winter, you might die before morning.

One of my favorite channels about homeless people is invisible people on YouTube. Go check it out.

Just watch this 18 years old who recently became homeless, see the fear in his eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=276RZVt-SDk

Homeless Woman Has a Masters in Mathematics and Engineering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT3VGI0V5Rs

Homeless in New York City Since 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEIMSKmlqmA

That's true but the difference is that they have a safety net. But let me remind you that MOST homeless people in America have one form of substance abuse or another. A lot of them have mental issues as well. There are homeless shelters and they have a place to at least get FREE hot-meals, clothing and medical care ...Salvation Army or other other agencies. These homeless people got their COVID-19 shots which MOST Nigerians can NOT boast of. So, please do NOT make yourself feel good by comparing homelessness in the damned country and the US.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by ReeLoaDead(m): 3:03am On Dec 31, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
I do watch lot of YouTube videos interviews of homeless people in America, damn, homelessness is an epidemic in the United states.

Like homeless men and women living in cardboard boxes, something i have never seen in Nigeria before.

I saw a video of a whole street literally filled with homeless people in America, it was shocking.

The worst is being homeless during the winter, you might die before morning.

One of my favorite channels about homeless people is invisible people on YouTube. Go check it

Just watch this 18 years old who recently became homeless, see the fear in his eyes.

Homeless Woman Has a Masters in Mathematics and Engineering

Homeless in New York City Since 2005
The homeless people in those videos look more well fed than many people in Nigeria undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by MyAmericandream(f): 3:16am On Dec 31, 2021
Abfinest007:
I perfer living homeless abroad than Nigeria .
Someone like you can’t come to America and become homeless. They’re just lazy…

3 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by TheNoble007(m): 3:22am On Dec 31, 2021
Abfinest007:

You are bereft of knowledge following your assertion.

Homelessness here, make people become insane, and kills them with time.

Once upon a time, while walking the street of Forest hills in Queens, NY, a homeless man shouted to me with desperation- 'I want to live, but living is difficult' . My heart melted. I can't count how many times I was moved emotionally or wept. The most painful is to see several homeless young ladies and women, either native or foreigners..

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by vineyardfarms: 3:24am On Dec 31, 2021
EBMedia:

https://igberetvnews.com/1410791/ive-seen-homeless-people-new-york-lagos-filmmaker-imoh-umoren/

@ imoh-umoren, your trip to america just to see homeless people? you did not see the standard of living? how govt relate to citizens? development? Cleaniness? Freedom? Human right? For your ignorance, those homeless have free hot meals, free health care, protection, etc. Not govt wish to keep them in the street, but out of their own choosen. Govt provide funding to take care of them throu ngo's. The homeless has access to very good thing. Get your facts straight.

3 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by bn2murphy(m): 3:29am On Dec 31, 2021
EBMedia:

https://igberetvnews.com/1410791/ive-seen-homeless-people-new-york-lagos-filmmaker-imoh-umoren/
So many Nigerians will prefer homeless status in new York than anywhere in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by klawaaa: 3:32am On Dec 31, 2021
Never curse yourself. Why not ask God to divinely help you in life?
Abfinest007:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by chiedozie198100: 3:34am On Dec 31, 2021
dasparrow:

You are lying! I don't know what is wrong with some of you Nigerians. America is my second home. Lived in U.S longer than I ever lived in Nigeria or in Western Europe where I was born. There are more homeless people than there are homeless shelters. I should know because I used to volunteer in shelters in the United States. And no, the shelters don't take all homeless people in or help the homeless with jobs, health insurance, etc.

There are so many Americans who are not homeless and have no health insurance coverage how much more the homeless.

Also, not all homeless people are drug addicts or people with mental health issues. Some are regular folks who lost their jobs, could no longer make rent and found themselves on the street. Most Americans are only 1 paycheck away from ending up on the street.

REAL Americans tell the truth about their country America unlike African migrants like you who stay hyping other people's country more than your own. America is on a downward spiral. Americans know this and talk about it all the time but African migrants like you will come online to lie about a country that you don't even originally come from because many of you are so thirsty for validation from Nigerians in Nigeria and want Nigerians in Nigeria to worship your azz all because you reside in America.

So many Americans are running away from America and migrating to countries in South and Central America, Asia, Australia and to Africa. Yes, you heard me, AFRICA!

Keep hyping America and don't go and fix your homeland. As a Black African, you will always be looked down upon no matter where you live on earth until you develop your homeland. America is not your ancestral land. Go and develop your ancestral land in Nigeria Africa.

I wish everyone can read your post.

America is all lights n colors.
Zero humanity.
Fake life.
Lonely in the mist of plenty.
Vengeful n vindictive.
Culturally racist.

You name it.

I lived there too n I know better.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by tolaswim: 3:37am On Dec 31, 2021
Yeye You are comparing homeless people in US with those in Nigeria....Are you in your right state of mind at all? Una sense is zig zag

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by ednut1(m): 3:41am On Dec 31, 2021
Have you been to oshodi or obalende at night Or major markets at night . Those people you see in new york refused to live in government shelters as they dont wanna live by rules. So are also lazy and junkies

3 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by ultimateprof: 4:01am On Dec 31, 2021
Landlord travel and see is not just a saying, try it before you jump into conclusion.

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Saao(m): 4:19am On Dec 31, 2021
Putindbutt:

Stop talking like an idiot & spamming the forum with your beerparlour gists. Where is your fact?

30% is over 6million, that's twice or almost twice the population of some states.
you just sounded like one. U sounded frustrated. If you indeed have brain u could have ask for more enlightenment. And u think over 6m lagosians are not homeless? So those living in shanties, kpako are not homeless? Learn to use ur brain next time. I'm in the field and I can tell u more if u can learn. Idiat

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by baby124: 4:19am On Dec 31, 2021
bn2murphy:

So many Nigerians will prefer homeless status in new York than anywhere in Nigeria.
You people are so stubborn. Now I see why Nigerians abroad allow you people to travel and then they shut their phone off. You don’t listen. Abroad you are on your own! Most of these people can’t get government assistance as you think! When it’s cold, they are desperate and hungry! Shelters are full so they are left to sleep on the streets. Priority is given to people with new borns for housing so lots of pregnant people sleeping in the street. Bills are high, as in high!!! Most of them live one paycheck away from homelessness. At least you have family members that will take you in, in Nigeria. In America, you are on your own o!

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by ofiko123(m): 4:23am On Dec 31, 2021
It is a shitty world..

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Ghostmode2two(m): 4:51am On Dec 31, 2021
I have not been to NYC or USA so I won't argue with those who have been there. My question is can't they build small houses just as we do in Lagos? Get a small piece of land say maybe quarter or half plot of land and construct a self a two rom sef contain or 2 bedroom flat on it? Please forgive my ignorance if I have said something stupid because many quoters would like to come for my head on a silver's plate. Make una nor too provoke ooh bruhs

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Obc1234(m): 4:53am On Dec 31, 2021
Stats don't lie

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by nedekid: 4:55am On Dec 31, 2021
JaroMan:

I know this guy to always relate things that make no sense. See his overbloated body.
Homeless that can send money to homeful
Let him come to akowonjo let me show him thousands of homeless people. You see people in day time but at night they sleep on the street in thousands. Especially northerners. Drive at night past akowonjo road all the way to shasha, if you look well. Ie look well you will see seas of mosquitoe net. At my office premises few times I had cause to go there 2-5 am, I was shocked. In that compound alone over 200 abokis in tents!
The advantage is the security against thieves that use to drive around and break into shops. Burglary has come down to zero.
The homeless in US, the benefit, food stamps, covid palatives, food and money they receive in a month will pay most ogas salaries here in naija.

5 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Takataka: 5:06am On Dec 31, 2021
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Barcaking2: 5:08am On Dec 31, 2021
The rate of undocumented and illegal immigrants crossing over the border and seeking for a better life with little or nothing to offer is worth looking at.

Not all that glitters is Gold
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by BigDawsNet: 5:37am On Dec 31, 2021
Abfinest007:

Can you survive -12C overnight abroad? grin

4 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by RodgersAkpafu: 5:40am On Dec 31, 2021
This one has not been under the bridges of Lagos

The difference between homelessness in say an american city and in Lagos is that the homeless in Lagos largely live in uncompleted buildings and under bridges
Homeless folks in america are more in the open
Tents, parks and walkways (LA/San Francisco especially)
If they do a census of homeless folks in Lagos
You will be shocked
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by BigDawsNet: 5:41am On Dec 31, 2021
akosy:
A Homeless man in USA will live a normal life in Lagos. Na for there homeless dey sleep inside him car. No be for Naija.

Homeless man with a car in US is a temporary homeless dude...
Full-time homeless can't even boast of $50 cash.... Hw he won take buy car ..wey parking permits dey flow steady
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Pasca07: 5:41am On Dec 31, 2021
dasparrow:
I will keep educating some of you because I can't stand lies and ignorance!
please clarify more on what you are dishing out on Nairaland.Are you saying that an hardworking person from Nigeria that traveled to USA via student visa can't survive in the states?and can later become homeless?
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Adakintroy: 5:45am On Dec 31, 2021
rentAcock:
Let's call a spade a spade. This is a silly comparison. Those homeless people in the U.S are still far better than the homeless people in Nigeria. They have homeless shelters for them, however so many of them refuse to seek refuge at the homeless shelters due to a high rate of theft and physical abuse by the residents. Also, many of them are homeless due to drug abuse and mental health issues, even when offered a place to stay, they still end up on the streets. The homeless people over there also have access to social workers who can set them up with food vouchers, health insurance, job training etc but Nigeria doesn't have that. Notwithstanding, as a Nigerian, Nigeria remains the best place to make it big in this life. Despite the numerous challenges we face, there's no place like home and it is left for us to develop it.

If you really calling a spade a spade, that's what he already did. Homeless people are homeless people. No need to compare two homeless people to see which is more homeless.

Aside if you can't make it Nigeria, it's not Nigeria is your mind searching for easy outlets. Real minds take on challenges however way form they come.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by wiseoneking: 5:45am On Dec 31, 2021
rentAcock:
Let's call a spade a spade. This is a silly comparison. Those homeless people in the U.S are still far better than the homeless people in Nigeria. They have homeless shelters for them, however so many of them refuse to seek refuge at the homeless shelters due to a high rate of theft and physical abuse by the residents. Also, many of them are homeless due to drug abuse and mental health issues, even when offered a place to stay, they still end up on the streets. The homeless people over there also have access to social workers who can set them up with food vouchers, health insurance, job training etc but Nigeria doesn't have that. Notwithstanding, as a Nigerian, Nigeria remains the best place to make it big in this life. Despite the numerous challenges we face, there's no place like home and it is left for us to develop it.
Sorry, do you live in states, you really hit it on the nail. You are absolutely correct. To be homeless in the US apart from drugs etc is more of a choice here because there are thousands of shelters scattered all over United States which is free but most of these guys do not want to go there because they got to live by rules: no weed, drinking, time to go and come in etc.

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by RodgersAkpafu: 5:47am On Dec 31, 2021
ModestGal:

Keep decieving yourself
Anyone who is homeless in Canada (I live in Canada) has either chosen to be homeless, working on some great idea, struggling for the moment, drug addicts, with mental illness, has criminal charges.
If an immigrant can have a home, then, no reason why someone brought up in the system would be homeless. Also,most homeless people are homeless just for a while. But people in Nigeria, will start their lives as homeless and end it as homeless. Comparing Nigeria to the Western world is like comparing ant to an elephant. And yes,, there are more opportunities in the Western world than in Nigeria. Supports right and left. Stop decieving people, you are vexing me

There is credit card, which means you can borrow for a while, and their are houses of $450,shared apartments,etc. If you work in AA factory, anyone should be able to make that in a month to keep himself warm in a home.
You can rent room together with your friend just like in Nigeria. And these western worldss have immigrants from all over the world that could also lead to lots of people being homeless, but most of these people would be homeless for a while till things get better.
And also,, no mosquitoes,so if they are homeless,at least no mosquito to disturb their sleep
No mind them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by RodgersAkpafu: 5:50am On Dec 31, 2021
Adakintroy:

If you really calling a spade a spade, that's what he already did. Homeless people are homeless people. No need to compare two homeless people to see which is more homeless.

Aside if you can't make it Nigeria, it's not Nigeria is your mind searching for easy outlets. Real minds take on challenges however way form they come.
What the hell are you talking about ?
There are certain disadvantages that have ruled put the majority of the population from ever succeeding in this country

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:52am On Dec 31, 2021
Ovamboland:

Homeless people have health insurance in the USA? Who is paying the premium?
What kind of nonsense is this?
It's actually true. The homeless have access to Foodstamp and health insurance. And also pantries hosted all across the country. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Adakintroy: 5:54am On Dec 31, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

What the hell are you talking about ?
There are certain disadvantages that have ruled put the majority of the population from ever succeeding in this country

What do you mean "ever succeding".

Speak for yourself. Stop making unessary generalizations.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Shaykh Ali Al-Ḥudhaifi Condemns the Killing Of Deborah Samuel / Your Lack Of Integrity Forced Buhari To Stay Away From You: Atiku Mocks Tinubu / Sahara Reporters Releases Phone Numbers Of Members Of Ethics Committee (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.