Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' (13369 Views)

El-rufai: I Withdrew My Son From Public School Because Of Kidnappers / Nairabet Owner, Akin Alabi Wins National Assembly Election / CEO Of Betting Company, Akin Alabi Cries Out As Man Won N24m With N1,500 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by MemoriesAndMe: 12:13pm On Jan 01, 2022
jericco1:
Bros leave them na

Everybody dey shout school na scam as if they have the foundation those guys have.

Not that they have anything to offer the society..

World population is over 6 billion or more, and more than 80% have less than $1 in their account.

Abeg this is new year.

I disagree with you on the bolded part of your statement. Reliable figures prove otherwise, so it's not ok to assume what is happening in one tiny portion of the world extends to the rest of the world.
Pls see verified figures in the link below https://www.visualcapitalist.com/distribution-of-global-wealth-chart/
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Supersymetry: 12:21pm On Jan 01, 2022
MT:

Education is the acquisition of knowledge. How you apply the knowledge is up to you. No one signs contract with the govt that after school you will be employed. We all go to school to enhance the probability of success.

The question is , are you educated enough to bring value to any organisation or have enough expertise to float a company ? That certificate only tells employer you had education, during interview is where your application of that knowledge is tested. If you ace your interview, you become employed. In your heart of heart, despite having that certificate in your care, do you think you can ever ace any interview? It's an open question.

The world is phasing out certificate the same way the world is phasing out fossil fuels.
So, in less than 20yrs u will not see interview for job,
An experienced farmer is better than a certificate holder who's only value is his certificate.

A case of chimpanzee and humans.
Though both had a common ancestor,but today the difference is astronomical. Same with school and education both had a common ancestor, but has started diverging from each other......
Wealth is the only thing that can challenge knowledge ( not static knowledge but ever improving knowledge) not certificate, in the next decade University certificate will have the same value "common entrance" have today.
Success is relative, school only increase ur chances to get more degree or success to get a job that requires a degree.

1 Like

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by KingDash: 12:23pm On Jan 01, 2022
whytediamond:
Story. If Akin Alabi I'd referring to our local schools or federal universities, then ignore his advice. 5years in the university for me, was wasted. Not a single thing I learned from the classroom is applicable in 2022.
same here bro
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by sageb: 12:48pm On Jan 01, 2022
True talk
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Atm99(m): 1:31pm On Jan 01, 2022
money121:
Ok sir

Education is the best Legacy big thanks to my Daddy
I agree with you. But going to School does not guarantee success. You can be Educated outside Schools. We have three Types of Education: 1. Scholastic Education, 2. Professional Education, 3. Financial Education. Call me on 08095617742 for more information. Thanks and Happy New Year
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by gentlegenius(m): 1:32pm On Jan 01, 2022
lonelydora:
It's only a fool!sh person that will do that.

Their different societies favoured them. If you try it in Nigeria with the type of politicians we have, hunger will finish you.
What do yo mean?
In Nigeria where the standard of education drop every year even as the number of higher institutions increase...
A country where employment opportunities are getting fewer every year even as the number of jobless graduates keep multiplying...
A country where a non graduate with enough political connection stands a better chance of getting a job than a grade A graduate...

What makes you think schools (especially in Nigeria) still benefit our youths in any way?
I am a graduate and I regret wasting those years in school studying expired theories and opinions of people who died many centuries ago... acquiring knowledge that can't solve any 21st century problem.
It becomes more annoying when I see my age mate who dropped out of (primary) school, started a business in his teen age, and now in his 30s, he's a very successful man - married with 2 kids, living in his own house and driving 3 private cars. Today, nobody remembers the fact that he didn't go to school. In fact, if me and him goes together to a function, people will respect him more than me, even though I am more educated than him. WHY? Because he is richer than me.
We are living at a time where money is more important than school certificates, and since certificate no longer give us access to money, why waste time pursuing vanity? Nowadays, who school help? Are you not aware that most graduates who has made money today are making it from businesses, vocations or skills they didn't learn in school? And dont you think most of them regret going to school?

2 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by wirinet(m): 1:42pm On Jan 01, 2022
MT:

Education is the acquisition of knowledge. How you apply the knowledge is up to you. No one signs contract with the govt that after school you will be employed. We all go to school to enhance the probability of success.

The question is , are you educated enough to bring value to any organisation or have enough expertise to float a company ? That certificate only tells employer you had education, during interview is where your application of that knowledge is tested. If you ace your interview, you become employed. In your heart of heart, despite having that certificate in your care, do you think you can ever ace any interview? It's an open question.

This is the same wrong mindset that has put us in the precarious position we find ourselves today. We, and by we I mean the government and the people have a completely wrong view on education. Education should have goals for both the country and individual levels. The government must provide education through educational policy that reflects those goals.

Education for the sake of just acquisition of knowledge is counter productive.

Other countries are preparing for the economy of the future, while Nigerian educational system is stuck in the 1960s.

1 Like

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by money121(m): 1:55pm On Jan 01, 2022
Atm99:
I agree with you. But going to School does not guarantee success. You can be Educated outside Schools. We have three Types of Education: 1. Scholastic Education, 2. Professional Education, 3. Financial Education. Call me on 08095617742 for more information. Thanks and Happy New Year
I should call you grin grin olorun awa pelu e
Happy new yr
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 2:06pm On Jan 01, 2022
hakeem4:
Elon didn’t drop out na. Elon has two degrees the last time I checked

Always read and understand before commenting.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Originalsly: 2:28pm On Jan 01, 2022
whytediamond:

Story. If Akin Alabi I'd referring to our local schools or federal universities, then ignore his advice. 5years in the university for me, was wasted. Not a single thing I learned from the classroom is applicable in 2022.

Didn't you learn to make connections? University is not like secondary school to learn what others have learned before but to make innovations and connections.... to discover or take take things to another level. You should be able to use whatever knowledge you have in whatever field and the connections you made to either be self employed or be an employee. 5 years in a university even doing nothing should never ever be a waste of time..... unless pride be holding you down.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by gambojimeta: 2:46pm On Jan 01, 2022
Rubbish post
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Kzinne: 3:04pm On Jan 01, 2022
mofedamijo:
Elon Musk graduated in 1995 with a Bachelor of Science degree in economics and a Bachelor of Arts degree in physics.

He only dropped out of studying for a PhD.

he still dropped out
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by MT: 3:07pm On Jan 01, 2022
wirinet:

This is the same wrong mindset that has put us in the precarious position we find ourselves today. We, and by we I mean the government and the people have a completely wrong view on education. Education should have goals for both the country and individual levels. The government must provide education through educational policy that reflects those goals.

Education for the sake of just acquisition of knowledge is counter productive.

Other countries are preparing for the economy of the future, while Nigerian educational system is stuck in the 1960s.

I am so sorry but you have not provided any tenable counter argument.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by wirinet(m): 3:34pm On Jan 01, 2022
MT:

I am so sorry but you have not provided any tenable counter argument.

95% of Nigerian graduates are not employable, says don

President and Chief Executive Officer, Postgraduate School of Credit and Financial Management, Prof Chris Onalo has expressed concern over the quality of Nigerian graduates, saying about 95 percent of them are not employable.He lamented that our present crops of graduates do not meet the need of the reality in the workplace and called for an urgent attention from all concerned to address the trend.

Onalo who is also the founding Registrar, Institute of Credit Administration (ICA), the umbrella body for credit management professionals in the country spoke with The Guardian in his office on the various challenges confronting the sector and how best to tackle them.

While expressing concern over the quality of products being churned out from our tertiary institutions, the eminent scholar posited that the curriculum must be finetuned in line with market demands and current trends for our graduates to be globally acceptable and relevant.

“The curriculums are obsolete and not in tune with the reality and this is because money is not there to facilitate research. The lecturers don’t have support both from the government and the private sector. You don’t expect students to fund research projects.

If you have a curriculum that is obsolete, a curriculum that is 50 years away from the reality, then who are you baking? On one hand, it is the tertiary institutions that should develop the initiative and convey it to the labour market that we want collaboration and strategic partnership so that the labour market, captains in the industry, corporate managers and directors will have a very cordial relationship with the universities to bring the reality to the system. We don’t have that.”
https://guardian.ng/features/education/95-of-nigerian-graduates-are-not-employable-says-don/
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Perfectbeing(m): 3:44pm On Jan 01, 2022
wirinet:

A certificate you don't need is as useless as not having a certificate at all
Zimbabwe has a literacy rate of close to 90% but remains one of the poorest countries in the world.
Since you decided to bring literacy rate, check the countries with the lowest literacy rate. 100% of them are poor countries. Then check countries with the highest literacy rate. 99% of them are well to do countries.

Also, employers are more willing to pay higher salaries to degree holders than non degree holders. In other words, if two people have the same skill and are good in the same way, and one has a degree and the other do not, statistics shows that the degree holders earn more. In fact, if both of them are coming for the same job, the degree holder has been shown statistically to get the job more than the non degree holder.
In case, you still don understand, a skill without a degree will earn less than a skill with a degree statistically..

Also I was comparing two scenarios, a certificate you have but don't need, a certificate you need but don't have. And I said one of the scenario was much better.

My uncle who dropped out of school was telling me of a story of how a friend of old who he met years later wanted to help with a good job. All the friend needed was just any university degree (even Arabic education was ok) to get him the job but he didn't have. That's how he lost that opportunity. He needed a degree that he didn't have.

Sha there are still tons of people that made it without having a degree so it's not a must.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Supersymetry: 4:00pm On Jan 01, 2022
Perfectbeing:
Since you decided to bring literacy rate, check the countries with the lowest literacy rate. 100% of them are poor countries. Then check countries with the highest literacy rate. 99% of them are well to do countries.

Also, employers are more willing to pay higher salaries to degree holders than non degree holders. In other words, if two people have the same skill and are good in the same way, and one has a degree and the other do not, statistics shows that the degree holders earn more. In fact, if both of them are coming for the same job, the degree holder has been shown statistically to get the job more than the non degree holder.
In case, you still don understand, a skill without a degree will earn less than a skill with a degree statistically..

Also I was comparing two scenarios, a certificate you have but don't need, a certificate you need but don't have. And I said one of the scenario was much better.

My uncle who dropped out of school was telling me of a story of how a friend of old who he met years later wanted to help with a good job. All the friend needed was just any university degree (even Arabic education was ok) to get him the job but he didn't have. That's how he lost that opportunity. He needed a degree that he didn't have.

Sha there are still tons of people that made it without having a degree so it's not a must.
The problem is that, people are not willing to learn new things, not illitracy,
Do you know that Michael Faraday that invented electricity did not obtain college degree.
Most people including certificate holders pride themselves in outdated thinking and knowledge.
Infact school system is now like a religion.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Perfectbeing(m): 4:17pm On Jan 01, 2022
Supersymetry:

The problem is that, people are not willing to learn new things, not illitracy,
Do you know that Michael Faraday that invented electricity did not obtain college degree.
Most people including certificate holders pride themselves in outdated thinking and knowledge.
Infact school system is now like a religion.
True. But still I maintain that school is not scam.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by wirinet(m): 4:26pm On Jan 01, 2022
Perfectbeing:

I am sorry to say, but you are still stuck in the old mindset. You are talking about 20th century economy before the era of globalization and strict capitalism. In that era certificates, titles and prestige can sustain a company because you are operating in a localized and protected environment. In the 21st century the competition is fierce and you are competing in a global market. Certificates and degrees now take a back seat to the skills and productivity.
Read about how Tanmay Bakshi a 14 year old Indian boy without a university degree earn $1.25 million annually without a university degree but taught himself artificial intelligence. - https://howafrica.com/youngest-developer-at-age-14-tanmay-bakshi-earns-1-25-million-in-salary-at-google/

Also read about Taylor Wilson, a 23 US citizen who at age 14 build a mini nuclear fusion reactor in his father's garage. - https://www.businessinsider.com/taylor-wilson-taking-the-energy-industry-by-storm-2017-11?r=US&IR=T

He skipped university to focus on his research of nuclear fudion. Today he is earning millions working for Helena energy think tank.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying university education is useless. What I am saying is that a university education that cannot produce or add value is useless. A skill that can produce or add value is far more important that a degree without value.

1 Like

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by meobizy(f): 4:28pm On Jan 01, 2022
There was a Nairalander who claimed he’ll spend 2018 and beyond minding his business. It’s 2022 and he’s still here typing rubbish. Lol. Foolish children.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Supersymetry: 4:29pm On Jan 01, 2022
Perfectbeing:
True. But still I mentain that school is not scam.
It depends on the value and impact to ur knowledge, and the amount of time/money it took away from u.
So it ranges from bet to scam.
On thing u have to note is that, it wasn't so many decades ago, hence the reason for people to update their knowledge to the current and future realities, and stop living in the past.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by DeepSight(m): 4:41pm On Jan 01, 2022
wirinet:

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying university education is useless.

Then try not to come across as an extremist. College has its intrinsic value still. Its not just the degree that one takes away. Its a microcosm of the larger world where one gets to hone many non-academic skills. Such as social skills, political skills, etc.

No one would deny the basics of what you say though. Just dont strike such a strident tone that you may be mistaken for spitting on the value of a collage education altogether.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Perfectbeing(m): 4:45pm On Jan 01, 2022
wirinet:

I am sorry to say, but you are still stuck in the old mindset. You are talking about 20th century economy before the era of globalization and strict capitalism. In that era certificates, titles and prestige can sustain a company because you are operating in a localized and protected environment. In the 21st century the competition is fierce and you are competing in a global market. Certificates and degrees now take a back seat to the skills and productivity.
Read about how Tanmay Bakshi a 14 year old Indian boy without a university degree earn $1.25 million annually without a university degree but taught himself artificial intelligence. - https://howafrica.com/youngest-developer-at-age-14-tanmay-bakshi-earns-1-25-million-in-salary-at-google/

Also read about Taylor Wilson, a 23 US citizen who at age 14 build a mini nuclear fusion reactor in his father's garage. - https://www.businessinsider.com/taylor-wilson-taking-the-energy-industry-by-storm-2017-11?r=US&IR=T

He skipped university to focus on his research of nuclear fudion. Today he is earning millions working for Helena energy think tank.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying university education is useless. What I am saying is that a university education that cannot produce or add value is useless. A skill that can produce or add value is far more important that a degree without value.

You brought just two examples. I can tell you that more 70% of the world's billionaire has a college degree.

A skill with a degree is much better than a skill without. Happy New year
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Perfectbeing(m): 4:51pm On Jan 01, 2022
wirinet:

Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs (and those two examples you gave) are three college dropouts who famously went on to become billionaires. However, it's important to remember dropout billionaires are the exception, not the rule. For every tech unicorn that wrote a world-changing algorithm in their college dorm room before dropping out and making it big, there are thousands of highly successful people who refined their natural talents at college and say they would not be where they are today without the knowledge and networks built up in university.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Dybala11(m): 4:52pm On Jan 01, 2022
mofedamijo:
Elon Musk graduated in 1995 with a Bachelor of Science degree in economics and a Bachelor of Arts degree in physics.

He only dropped out of studying for a PhD.

The way you stated his academic qualifications sef is confusing, why not say he has a Bachelor's degree in Economics and Physics.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by DeepSight(m): 4:58pm On Jan 01, 2022
Perfectbeing:

Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs (and those two examples you gave) are three college dropouts who famously went on to become billionaires. However, it's important to remember dropout billionaires are the exception, not the rule. For every tech unicorn that wrote a world-changing algorithm in their college dorm room before dropping out and making it big, there are thousands of highly successful people who refined their natural talents at college and say they would not be where they are today without the knowledge and networks built up in university.

. . . . and thousands of dropouts who went on to die in wretched poverty-stricken misery and failure.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Supersymetry: 5:03pm On Jan 01, 2022
DeepSight:

. . . . and thousands of dropouts who went on to die in wretched poverty-stricken misery and failure.

No difference same way thousands of graduates went on to suffer and die in poverty.

1 Like

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by wirinet(m): 5:10pm On Jan 01, 2022
DeepSight:

Then try not to come across as an extremist. College has its intrinsic value still. Its not just the degree that one takes away. Its a microcosm of the larger world where one gets to hone many non-academic skills. Such as social skills, political skills, etc.

No one would deny the basics of what you say though. Just dont strike such a strident tone that you may be mistaken for spitting on the value of a collage education altogether.

I am looking at the context of university education mainly from the Nigerian perspective. Nigerian University education is geared towards passing exams and not finding solutions to problems.
I studied architecture for 7 years without setting my eyes on any building material. I know people that studied computer science and graduated without actually handling a computer themselves. And yet they come out with first and second class.
In these times of covid, other countries create their own test kits, vaccines and medicines, Nigeria with lots professors, doctors and masters of medicine, micro biologists and virologists seem helpless and waits for others to give us these these. And this is repeated in all fields of knowledge and research.

I feel sad to know that others are sending telescopes into space to search the origin of the universe and life in other solar systems. We are yet to produce basic electricity to run our homes.

1 Like

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by DeepSight(m): 5:12pm On Jan 01, 2022
wirinet:

I am looking at the context of university education mainly from the Nigerian perspective. Nigerian University education is geared towards passing exams and not finding solutions to problems.
I studied architecture for 7 years without setting my eyes on any building material. I know people that studied computer science then without actually handling a computer themselves. And yet they come out with first and second class.
In these times of covid, other countries create their own test kits, vaccines and medicines, Nigeria with lots professors, doctors and masters of medicine, micro biology and virology seem helpless and waits for others to give us these these. And this is repeated in all fields of knowledge and research.

I feel sad to know that others are sending telescopes into space to search the origin of the universe and life in other solar systems. We are yet to produce basic electricity to run our homes.

Truth well spoken brother. It is sad.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by RodgersAkpafu: 5:13pm On Jan 01, 2022
gentlegenius:

What do yo mean?
In Nigeria where the standard of education drop every year even as the number of higher institutions increase...
A country where employment opportunities are getting fewer every year even as the number of jobless graduates keep multiplying...
A country where a non graduate with enough political connection stands a better chance of getting a job than a grade A graduate...

What makes you think schools (especially in Nigeria) still benefit our youths in any way?
I am a graduate and I regret wasting those years in school studying expired theories and opinions of people who died many centuries ago... acquiring knowledge that can't solve any 21st century problem.
It becomes more annoying when I see my age mate who dropped out of (primary) school, started a business in his teen age, and now in his 30s, he's a very successful man - married with 2 kids, living in his own house and driving 3 private cars. Today, nobody remembers the fact that he didn't go to school. In fact, if me and him goes together to a function, people will respect him more than me, even though I am more educated than him. WHY? Because he is richer than me.
We are living at a time where money is more important than school certificates, and since certificate no longer give us access to money, why waste time pursuing vanity? Nowadays, who school help? Are you not aware that most graduates who has made money today are making it from businesses, vocations or skills they didn't learn in school? And dont you think most of them regret going to school?
This is interestingcheesy
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by RodgersAkpafu: 5:15pm On Jan 01, 2022
Perfectbeing:

Very well said
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by DeepSight(m): 5:15pm On Jan 01, 2022
Supersymetry:

No difference same way thousands of graduates went on to suffer and die in poverty.

No doubt. It works both ways.
I think the point is, one should not have the "after-all so-and-so person dropped out and still made it" mentality.
People drop out and make it. People drop out and fail.
People graduate and make it. People graduate and fail.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peter Obi's Supporters Plan A Walk To INEC's Headquarters In Abuja / BRT - The Beginning of the End? / Lagos APGA To Adopt Ambode As Governorship Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.