Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,869 members, 7,828,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' (13372 Views)

El-rufai: I Withdrew My Son From Public School Because Of Kidnappers / Nairabet Owner, Akin Alabi Wins National Assembly Election / CEO Of Betting Company, Akin Alabi Cries Out As Man Won N24m With N1,500 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by NamelessOGBENI(m): 10:10am On Jan 01, 2022
Kriss216:
If you wan drop out, drop out.

We no dey motivate anybody again this year.
No time, Comrade...
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Dagger111(m): 10:14am On Jan 01, 2022
FernandezPablo:
Drop out if you want to it's your choice..you go meet yourself anyhow you take live your life..

Come o, be like say my Papa don dey Nairaland because na exactly wetin him dey always talk be this. I don meet Alhaji(My Dad) for Nairaland o. grin
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by hush15: 10:19am On Jan 01, 2022
envoymedia:

https://igberetvnews.com/1410999/dont-encourage-people-drop-school-bill-gates-elon-musk-akin-alabi/

You know, if this guy happens to vie for the number one position n job in this country, I will wholeheartedly support him and has my vote, irrespective of which party he belongs.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by AllahIsSatan: 10:20am On Jan 01, 2022
Elon Musk didn't drop out of school.

Musk entered Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, but Two years later he transferred to the University of Pennsylvania where he graduated in 1995 with a Bachelor of Science degree in economics and a Bachelor of Arts degree in physics.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Nobody: 10:21am On Jan 01, 2022
Dagger111:

Come o, be like say my Papa don dey Nairaland because na exactly wetin him dey always talk be this. I don meet Alhaji(My Dad) for Nairaland o. grin
Don't worry about that..your dad was and always right..life is all about choice and people make stupid choice..
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by BluntTheApostle(m): 10:24am On Jan 01, 2022
The problem with people who use the case of Bill Gates and other successful dropouts is that they refuse to consider some important factors such as:

Different realities. What obtains in the United States doesn't usually obtain in Nigeria, as far as certificates are concerned. In the United States, a high school diploma is a cherished diploma that can fetch you many well paying jobs. In fact, with a high school diploma, the American society considers you sufficiently educated, and you may only consider tertiary education if you wish. But in Nigeria, there is very little (in well paying job prospects and societal regards) that a WAEC/NECO (the Nigerian equivalent of a high school diploma) can give you. Bill Gates was sufficiently educated by American standard with just a high school diploma. But in Nigeria, you need more than a WAEC certificate to impress anyone, even a future partner.

Valid Reasons for Dropping Out. If you are dropping out simply because Bill Gates dropped out, then I can only pity your life. Bill Gates already discovered a path to success; he had already defined his life, and properly weighed his options before taking the decision to drop out. But you, if you have not yet discovered anything unusual that is worth sacrificing your studentship for, then don't even contemplate dropping out. Wizkid did not finish university, but he had a valid reason for dropping out. He dropped out to concentrate on his budding music career. He already had a direction for his life, and had taken great strides in that direction. But you, you only have a dream to become a star, you have not even recorded a demo yet, or maybe you have only done 2 songs, and you are already thinking of dropping out to focus on a music career that has not started, just know you are on your own.

In summary, before you do copycat, remember that situations vary from person to person. In Nigeria, we are highly certificate-oriented. You cannot be doing follow-follow for person wey be sey better job dey with ordinary high school diploma.

Use your head. Don't let hungry motivational speakers destroy your life. They don't care about you. They just want to sell their books.

2 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Supersymetry: 10:42am On Jan 01, 2022
School is not for everyone. But education is for everyone.
The problem is that, a lot of people don't know the difference between the two.

It's not advisable to go to school now because the value of certificate is on a Free fall ( bell curve), a natural curve everything in nature follows,
The certificate bubble will finally collapse after the creation of artificial general intelligent machine, intelligence amplification, and full implementation of fourth industrial revolution.

Education/knowledge/skills and wealth remains the best bet.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn." - Alvin Toffler.

2 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Solofresh2: 10:47am On Jan 01, 2022
A lot of Nigerians go the mind set of curing poverty and making money, forgetting what the real definition of school is.
School is there for you to cure poverty.You are in school to learn basically.If you are searching for a way to get out of poverty then you should go make money and stop mixing things up
The fact that you don't go to school doesn't mean you will not make money in life.Infact, you can even be richer than someone who went to school all his whole life but you can't be civilized and educated as that person.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 01, 2022
I keep telling my parents, the university they sent me to was a complete waste of money. If I had my way I would have dropped out and used for money to buy Bitcoin, maybe I would have been a crypto millionaire today. Those days when school was the golden key to wealth and prosperity is gone, today it’s the surest way to frustration, unemployment and brokenness.

1 Like

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by ddeola: 10:50am On Jan 01, 2022
Tell dem sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by wonlasewonimi: 10:51am On Jan 01, 2022
Elon Musk dropped out?
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Nobody: 10:54am On Jan 01, 2022
hibeebeeking:
That's the truth. Someone said who certificate help? Go to federal , state and local government and see how certificate help them . Do you think you can work in oil company without a cert? Go to school and master your field to be one of the best.
Lol, how much do local government and state workers earn? How many people do you know personally that work in an oil company? And wait o.. how much do oil company workers earn. Except you are referring to being employed abroad then you don’t get it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:57am On Jan 01, 2022
RodgersAkpafu:

How many oil companies are owned by people without certificate?

Let's start from the beginning...

I'm sure you know Chevron, Exxon and BP.

John D. Rockefeller didn't have a certificate. But he founded Standard Oil which was later broken up into 34 companies by the US Supreme court for monopoly reasons.

Chevron, Exxon and Sohio (now part of BP) are part of those 34 companies.

Adjusted for inflation, he is the richest American in history.

Closer to home, Mrs. Alakija's training is as a Secretary...you know shorthand and typewriting, but she owns Famfa Oil.

A certificate is a worthless piece of paper when it comes to business.

Many founders also have certificates, but there's no relationship between their success and their certificate.

2 Likes

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Exkandayee(m): 10:59am On Jan 01, 2022
RodgersAkpafu:

It makes no sense
Then f uck off, and go back to elementary
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by seyz91(m): 11:04am On Jan 01, 2022
Confirm!
isaiah4life:
80% of Nigerians go to school to evade poverty. When the younger generation saw that their elders are roaming the street with their sweat infected certificates, they saw no need to venture into the academic space.

With the scourge of unemployment and quick money syndrome, one is sure in the next decades we will have millionaires pulling up in convoys with no certificate attached to them.

The phrase, "WHO CERTIFICATE HELP" has helped most people navigate in life winning against all odds.

But I believe, someday, 95% of my fellow countrymen/women will go to school because of passion to solve problems and not to squirm out of poverty.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by seyz91(m): 11:05am On Jan 01, 2022
Right
whytediamond:
Story. If Akin Alabi I'd referring to our local schools or federal universities, then ignore his advice. 5years in the university for me, was wasted. Not a single thing I learned from the classroom is applicable in 2022.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by seyz91(m): 11:05am On Jan 01, 2022
cheesy
Kriss216:
If you wan drop out, drop out.

We no dey motivate anybody again this year.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Ndimkpurummiri(m): 11:08am On Jan 01, 2022
1636six:
[s][/s]
thunder scatter your generation
amputee will not see this now
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by RodgersAkpafu: 11:26am On Jan 01, 2022
Exkandayee:

Then f uck off, and go back to elementary
Kid
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Perfectbeing(m): 11:33am On Jan 01, 2022
Emmanuel909090:
But most school dropouts are doing better in Nigeria.
Even Northerns that can easily get big jobs in NNPC due to the bias quota system in Nigeria are still going to school. What does that tell you?

1 Like

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Perfectbeing(m): 11:36am On Jan 01, 2022
Just an advice to all those school na scam people..
It is better to have a certificate that you don't need than to need a certificate that you don't have.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by wirinet(m): 11:39am On Jan 01, 2022
contigiency:

Stop deceiving people. This same our local school system has produced the likes of Prof Soludo, Dora Akunyili, numerous professors, PhDs and captains of industries ruling different businesses in the world. So if you have money to afford oversea education, you are free to go. Allow others to go our local school.
So what is the impact of the likes of Prof Soludo, Dora Akunyili, numerous professors, PhDs and captains of industries on our society? How has the education and certificates helped us to solve our basic existential problems when we still heavily rely on foreign goods and manpower?

Mind you I am not against education in general as I am educated myself. What I quarrel with is that the education we acquire is not relevant to our needs, but to the needs of the original colonialist. That education will result in only making us sources of primary materials and market for industrialized countries.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by wirinet(m): 11:43am On Jan 01, 2022
Perfectbeing:
Just an advice to all those school na scam people..
It is better to have a certificate that you don't need than to need a certificate that you don't have.
A certificate you don't need is as useless as not having a certificate at all
Zimbabwe has a literacy rate of close to 90% but remains one of the poorest countries in the world.
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by Boatswain: 11:49am On Jan 01, 2022
Party weh pesin go dey spray am money na dsame party weh anoda pesin go chop better beating...
Re: Akin Alabi: 'Don't Drop Out Of School Because Bill Gates And Elon Musk Did' by MT: 12:08pm On Jan 01, 2022
isaiah4life:
80% of Nigerians go to school to evade poverty. When the younger generation saw that their elders are roaming the street with their sweat infected certificates, they saw no need to venture into the academic space.

With the scourge of unemployment and quick money syndrome, one is sure in the next decades we will have millionaires pulling up in convoys with no certificate attached to them.

The phrase, "WHO CERTIFICATE HELP" has helped most people navigate in life winning against all odds.

But I believe, someday, 95% of my fellow countrymen/women will go to school because of passion to solve problems and not to squirm out of poverty.

Education is the acquisition of knowledge. How you apply the knowledge is up to you. No one signs contract with the govt that after school you will be employed. We all go to school to enhance the probability of success.

The question is , are you educated enough to bring value to any organisation or have enough expertise to float a company ? That certificate only tells employer you had education, during interview is where your application of that knowledge is tested. If you ace your interview, you become employed. In your heart of heart, despite having that certificate in your care, do you think you can ever ace any interview? It's an open question.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

More Pictures From APC Presidential Rally In Kwara / Jos Crisis Again / N400bn Fraud: Fayemi Replies Ekiti Assembly: "Allegations Are Mere Fabrication"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.