Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,971 members, 7,814,288 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Oil Burning Issues - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oil Burning Issues (2844 Views)

Continual Burning Of AC Compressor Clutch / Peppery /burning Eyes While Driving A Car / Watch How 35 Firefighters Struggled To Tackle A Large Fire From A Burning Tesla (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Burning Issues by djtommy(m): 9:36am On Jan 02, 2022
Hello, auto expert in the house, my mum owns a 2006 Toyota rav4 4 cyl and she has been complaining about excessive oil consumption, I checked online and I found out it's a common issue for the 06-08 models. Please expert what's the solution?
Re: Oil Burning Issues by autologic: 10:16am On Jan 02, 2022
djtommy:
Hello, auto expert in the house, my mum owns a 2006 Toyota rav4 4 cyl and she has been complaining about excessive oil consumption, I checked online and I found out it's a common issue for the 06-08 models. Please expert what's the solution?
Yes it is a common issue with the 2AZ Fe engine due to isssue with the stock piston rings but yet u will still need to confirm the issue 100% if that is the culprit cos excessive oil consumption can also be due to some other factors such as bad PCV valve, external leaks ,seals leaks etc .
However if it due to piston rings issue ,the rings will need to be changed and engine overhauled generally.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Burning Issues by Dozieson(m): 11:57am On Jan 02, 2022
autologic:

Yes it is a common issue with the 2AZ Fe engine due to isssue with the stock piston rings but yet u will still need to confirm the issue 100% if that is the culprit cos excessive oil consumption can also be due to some other factors such as bad PCV valve, external leaks ,seals leaks etc .
However if it due to piston rings issue ,the rings will need to be changed and engine overhauled generally.

Only few mechanics can do the rebuild successfully without issues. He should not just use any road side kazeem
Re: Oil Burning Issues by autologic: 7:40am On Jan 03, 2022
Dozieson:

Only few mechanics can do the rebuild successfully without issues. He should not just use any road side kazeem
The ball Is in court for that one na.That one no concern anybody.
Re: Oil Burning Issues by Dozieson(m): 9:53am On Jan 03, 2022
autologic:

The ball Is in court for that one na.That one no concern anybody.

Lol
Re: Oil Burning Issues by djtommy(m): 1:46pm On Jan 04, 2022
autologic:

Okay ... thank you so much
Re: Oil Burning Issues by djtommy(m): 1:46pm On Jan 04, 2022
Dozieson:

Alright ...thank you for your time
Re: Oil Burning Issues by Omeiza100: 3:37pm On Jan 04, 2022
Well my Camry 2AZ too shortens engine oil after a while
My advice if u don’t have a good mechanic for the rebuild , pls just manage it oo cus u don’t want to wake a sleeping dog o
If not the engine don go if na road side mechanics

1 Like

Re: Oil Burning Issues by AKINSULU: 3:22pm On May 29, 2022
For the 2az engine with oil burning issue, please which brand of 20w50 do you recommend aside Total Quartz 5000?

Engine still in very good driving condition except for the burn.

Dru23
Gazzuzz
Autologic
Kingreign

Everyone
Re: Oil Burning Issues by dru23(m): 3:52pm On May 30, 2022
AKINSULU:
For the 2az engine with oil burning issue, please which brand of 20w50 do you recommend aside Total Quartz 5000?

Engine still in very good driving condition except for the burn.

Dru23
Gazzuzz
Autologic
Kingreign

Everyone
I will recommend u try Mobil 1 5w40 and see how much it burns .....if u do decide to use 20w50 keep in mind u will need to change oil every 5k miles to prevent sludge engine...........

So u do the math ... Mobil 1 5w40 or any well known brand from the USA or 20w50 with frequent oil change every 5k miles......

It is matter of choosing your poison ... Coz even u use 5w40 u might still oil burn , but not as bad as 5w30 ... Or use 20w50 and still burn oil, but not as bad as 5w40 .. But still change oil often every 5k miles to prevent sludge engine
Re: Oil Burning Issues by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:31pm On May 30, 2022
dru23:

I will recommend u try Mobil 1 5w40 and see how much it burns .....if u do decide to use 20w50 keep in mind u will need to change oil every 5k miles to prevent sludge engine...........

So u do the math ... Mobil 1 5w40 or any well known brand from the USA or 20w50 with frequent oil change every 5k miles......

It is matter of choosing your poison ... Coz even u use 5w40 u might still oil burn , but not as bad as 5w30 ... Or use 20w50 and still burn oil, but not as bad as 5w40 .. But still change oil often every 5k miles to prevent sludge engine

Or he can use the 15w50 wink

1 Like

Re: Oil Burning Issues by Conner44: 5:52pm On May 30, 2022
Op use the type gazzuzz recommended above first and observe the rate of consumption.

I don’t understand our oil importer ogas on nairaland these days oh. You know many Nigerians are becoming aware of the goodness of synthetic fluids over conventional and the fact that most of these engines are oil burning monstrosities yet you won’t consider finding the synthetic 20w50 engine oils to import and sell. Why? undecided

Nowadays many Nigerian rebuilt engines or imported oil burners change from using synthetic 5w20/30 to use our conventional 20w50 oils in the market which are of very questionable qualities.

Majority of imported Toyota (and other) vehicles are oil guzzlers from factory but clean inside and without sludge. Don’t you know owners will prefer using the synthetic 20w50 to reduce/eliminate oil consumption, run longer oil change intervals and yet keep their engines clean?

Synthetic 20w50 doesn’t form sludge and it’s good for 5,000 miles of use (and more)

Why not import this spec of fluid and sell in our local market? You’d be surprised at the amount of patronage you’d be receiving if you try this venture just once and advertise here on nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Oil Burning Issues by AKINSULU: 7:58pm On May 30, 2022
Thanks Dru23 and Gazzuzz.
I switched from 5W40 to 20W50 (both total), I have been using 20w50 for over one year now and do oil change at every 2000 miles (I cover 2000 miles in less than two months because I do more of interstate travel)

I want to switch from total 20w50 to seahorse 20w50 (as I will have to top with 3 to 4 liters of oil before my oil change at 2000 miles, no engine smoke of any form) as it looks thicker, hoping not to do more than 2 liters before my oil change.

Is it safe to switch or I should stick to my total 20w50.

In summary I just need oil with thicker viscosity.
Car mileage is around 150k.

Thanks
Re: Oil Burning Issues by olumzzz(m): 5:16am On May 31, 2022
AKINSULU:
I switched from 5W40 to 20W50 (both total), I have been using 20w50 for over one year now and do oil change at every 2000 miles (I cover 2000 miles in less than two months because I do more of interstate travel)

I want to switch from total 20w50 to seahorse 20w50 (as I will have to top with 3 to 4 liters of oil before my oil change at 2000 miles, no engine smoke of any form) as it looks thicker, hoping not to do more than 2 liters before my oil change.

Thanks
You wan switch from engine oyel to palm oyel.
To answer your question, 20w50 of any brand should under normal circumstances be the same viscosity.
So no point switching. Or is it the price difference that is inspiring the switch?

2 Likes

Re: Oil Burning Issues by dru23(m): 7:09am On May 31, 2022
AKINSULU:

Thanks

No need to switch.. That 20w50 is not the recommended oil for the car .... Since u stated that u need thicker oil .. It means your engine is on its last leg . better u start saving for new engine ....

Cost of imported goods is not looking sexy at all ... The naira is not looking sexy at all ... If car owners fail to maintain their cars during this period na parts sellers will be cashing out

2 Likes

Re: Oil Burning Issues by kingreign(m): 7:14am On May 31, 2022
dru23:

No need to switch.. That 20w50 is not the recommended oil for the car .... Since u stated that u need thicker oil .. It means your engine is on its last leg . better u start saving for new engine ....

Cost of imported goods is not looking sexy at all ... The naira is not looking sexy at all ... If car owners fail to maintain their cars during this period na parts sellers will be cashing out

The bolded comment is NOT true. An engine may experience wear and tear such that it would require a more thicker oil but it does NOT mean it’s on its last legs heading to death. It only mean the piston rings may had worn out a bit or the cylinder walls had worn out a bit and this won’t cause significant issues.

Do NOTE, many car manufacturers specify even 10W40, 10W50 etc for their engines at brand new depending on the region the car will be operating in and the availability of thinner free flowing oils.

3 Likes

Re: Oil Burning Issues by kingreign(m): 7:15am On May 31, 2022
AKINSULU:

Thanks

There are better brands of 20W50 other than Seahorse. You have CEPSA, MOBIL, TOTAL etc.

Get your oils from reputable brands and outlets.
My humble submission

1 Like

Re: Oil Burning Issues by dru23(m): 7:21am On May 31, 2022
Conner44:
Op use the type gazzuzz recommended above first and observe the rate of consumption.

I don’t understand our oil importer ogas on nairaland these days oh. You know many Nigerians are becoming aware of the goodness of synthetic fluids over conventional and the fact that most of these engines are oil burning monstrosities yet you won’t consider finding the synthetic 20w50 engine oils to import and sell. Why? undecided

Nowadays many Nigerian rebuilt engines or imported oil burners change from using synthetic 5w20/30 to use our conventional 20w50 oils in the market which are of very questionable qualities.

Majority of imported Toyota (and other) vehicles are oil guzzlers from factory but clean inside and without sludge. Don’t you know owners will prefer using the synthetic 20w50 to reduce/eliminate oil consumption, run longer oil change intervals and yet keep their engines clean?

Synthetic 20w50 doesn’t form sludge and it’s good for 5,000 miles of use (and more)

Why not import this spec of fluid and sell in our local market? You’d be surprised at the amount of patronage you’d be receiving if you try this venture just once and advertise here on nairaland.

My brother I don't know how many cars burn so much oil that someone will have to mass import 20w50 oil.

And this is 2022 , cars in the USA barely use 20w50 .. If they need thicker oil they go for 5w40

Plus am too tired to dey explain oil matter
Re: Oil Burning Issues by dru23(m): 7:44am On May 31, 2022
kingreign:

The bolded comment is NOT true. An engine may experience wear and tear such that it would require a more thicker oil but it does NOT mean it’s on its last legs heading to death. It only mean the piston rings may had worn out a bit or the cylinder walls had worn out a bit and this won’t cause significant issues.

Do NOTE, many car manufacturers specify even 10W40, 10W50 etc for their engines at brand new depending on the region the car will be operating in and the availability of thinner free flowing oils.

Lol.. So car manufactures make specific cars for specific region ba ..........Since majority of tokunbo cars are imported from the USA... Lets draw the list below and state their oil type.. I will start from the most popular ones.......

1. Toyota Corolla depending on the year .......5w30 and I know for a fact that 2010 upwards uses 0w20 ....

2. Toyota Camry .......5w30

3. Matrix... Mostly ........5w30

4. Lexus Rx350 depending on the year 5w30 and new models uses 0w20......

5. Toyota Rav4 depending on the year ... 5w30 to 0w20

So many Toyota cars use either 5w30 or 0w20 for newer model .. Some even 0w16..

Honda cars.....from the civics to the accords .. 5w20.

The list goes on and on.... This are the recommended oil by the manufacture regardless of weather conditions........

Engine oil has improved over the years .. A very good brand of oil is multi grade oil .. Meaning they will do well in any weather conditions........

It is imperative that car owners follow owners manual at all times.......

[b]Brand new cars in the USA do come with a warranty. The wrong use of oil will void that warranty

Has a car dealer, I have imported over 100 cars into Nigeria over the years in business. This is even before nairaland...

And also am an investor in uber.. Have own few fleets of cars and also am 1 of the biggest importer of engine oil ... My track records speaks for itself .. These are the things that can be easily verify on nairaland

But dear car owners reading this.. If all fails and u confuse.. Always read the owners manual of your cars and follow manufacture advice.. Pretend like the car is under warranty .............

1 Like

Re: Oil Burning Issues by dru23(m): 8:31am On May 31, 2022
kingreign:

1. You brought up European car brand.. How many are actually driving this types of car.. There is reason why most tokunbo cars are from the USA .... You can't compare this cars to the USA specs... This is why these European cars don't last and are not in demand.....

Apart from that , the manual here is so confusing .. Unlike the USA spec .. The manufacture recommendation is on the oil cap .. Plain and simple
Re: Oil Burning Issues by kingreign(m): 10:01am On May 31, 2022
dru23:

1. You brought up European car brand.. How many are actually driving this types of car.. There is reason why most tokunbo cars are from the USA .... You can't compare this cars to the USA specs... This is why these European cars don't last and are not in demand.....

Apart from that , the manual here is so confusing .. Unlike the USA spec .. The manufacture recommendation is on the oil cap .. Plain and simple

A LOT of cars in Nigeria are of European and Asian export both Brand new or Used.

The manual is confusing you say?
I give up!!!
Re: Oil Burning Issues by dru23(m): 10:25am On May 31, 2022
kingreign:

A LOT of cars in Nigeria are of European and Asian export both Brand new or Used.

The manual is confusing you say?
I give up!!!

Majority of brands of cars are Japanese USA spec cars. Look at Lagos alone .. Look at the number of corolla plying the road........

Nigerians are so picky that if is not Toyota car they are not buying.. Even in the North that Peugeot cars used to be the norm , you will see Honda civics ........ Go to all the car stand in Lagos and do a case study and see how many Europeans cars compare to Japanese cars.....

That been said , USA engine oil are formulated to meet with the specifications of the manufacture.

Once you open up your engine oil cap. It tells you type of oil to use.

That is the oil you should use, now for God known reason if that particular oil is not available in the country that the car is been driven, you can read owners manual for alternative oil .... But in most cases the recommended spec is usually available.....

Owners should always go by the engine oil cover. Plain and simple . no need to make life difficult
Re: Oil Burning Issues by kingreign(m): 11:03am On May 31, 2022
dru23:

Majority of brands of cars are Japanese USA spec cars. Look at Lagos alone .. Look at the number of corolla plying the road........

Nigerians are so picky that if is not Toyota car they are not buying.. Even in the North that Peugeot cars used to be the norm , you will see Honda civics ........ Go to all the car stand in Lagos and do a case study and see how many Europeans cars compare to Japanese cars.....

That been said , USA engine oil are formulated to meet with the specifications of the manufacture.

Once you open up your engine oil cap. It tells you type of oil to use.

That is the oil you should use, now for God known reason if that particular oil is not available in the country that the car is been driven, you can read owners manual for alternative oil .... But in most cases the recommended spec is usually available.....

Owners should always go by the engine oil cover. Plain and simple . no need to make life difficult

You make an erroneous assumption that the whole cars in Nigeria is Japanese US made cars. I ask you this question, have you gone to other parts of Nigeria apart from Lagos to see the majority of cars driven there?

You say owners should goby the engine cover, what if these engine covers have been swapped out prior to the ownership of these cars by their current owners without their knowledge?
Re: Oil Burning Issues by phurlly(m): 8:55pm On Jun 11, 2022
Hello my ogas I need your advice and help.
I bought my first car Toyota camry 2009 with 2az engine at mileage 124k+ toks in February, I notice when my driving mileage reach 2000+mile the follow come engine oil dry up to the last dot on the measure and I call my mechanic attention and he told me I should be doing the service regularly, after that he recommended 5w30 because we can't find the original 5w20 recommend on the engine cover. I reset my Trip A mileage to 0 so as to study the engine burning mileage so to take necessary caution. This morning I check the Measure and I see the oil has dried up to same last dot at 1000mileage. Please guru in the house help me the engine still work fine but I notice since I bought it the AC no dey chill well well like my guys own but I ignore because I'm not fan of low degree. My friend said I only need to top up the AC gas. But still very cold at night

Re: Oil Burning Issues by Dozieson(m): 9:05pm On Jun 11, 2022
phurlly:
I bought my first car Toyota camry 2009 with 2az engine at mileage 124k+ toks in February, I notice when my driving mileage reach 2000+mile the follow come engine oil dry up to the last dot on the measure and I call my mechanic attention and he told me I should be doing the service regularly, after that he recommended 5w30 because we can't find the original 5w20 recommend on the engine cover. I reset my Trip A mileage to 0 so as to study the engine burning mileage so to take necessary caution. This morning I check the Measure and I see the oil has dried up to same last dot at 1000mileage. Please guru in the house help me the engine still work fine but I notice since I bought it the AC no dey chill well well like my guys own but I ignore because I'm not fan of low degree. My friend said I only need to top up the AC gas. But still very cold at night

Normal with 2az. Continue topping your oil until it is due for service. Or ring the engine if you get mind. Again, replace engine with japanese specs.(Gazzuzz to the rescue)

1 Like

Re: Oil Burning Issues by dru23(m): 1:52am On Jun 12, 2022
phurlly:

Have a mechanic check the pcv valves .. Usually when they go bad it can add to your oil consumption .. If it does need replacement make sure u buy a brand new 1.......

And also try using Mobil 1 5w40.... And from there monitor the oil consumption ...... Let's take things step by step

We might have Mobil 1 5w40 in stock for 27k ...Call my business line and someone can assist you
Re: Oil Burning Issues by melviniyke2002(m): 6:46am On Jun 12, 2022
Dozieson:

Normal with 2az. Continue topping your oil until it is due for service. Or ring the engine if you get mind. Again, replace engine with japanese specs.(Gazzuzz to the rescue)
not normal with all 2AZ....2003 to 2006 camry hardly burn oil...2007 to 2009 usually get excessive oil burn issue......my 2005 camry dont burn oil,i use mobil 1 5w 30 frm dru23,i change oil @5000mile or 6000miles....pls wot type of car do u use....
Re: Oil Burning Issues by Dozieson(m): 6:55am On Jun 12, 2022
melviniyke2002:
not normal with all 2AZ....2003 to 2006 camry hardly burn oil...2007 to 2010 usually get excessive oil burn issue......my 2005 camry dont burn oil,i use mobil 1 5w 30 frm dru23,i change oil @5000mile or 6000miles....pls wot type of car do u use....

He said 2009 Camry.
It is more common with 2az 2007-2009.
Few 2az 2002-2006 also burns oil. 2010 is 2aR.
Re: Oil Burning Issues by melviniyke2002(m): 7:00am On Jun 12, 2022
Dozieson:

He said 2009 Camry.
It is more common with 2az 2007-2009.
Few 2az 2002-2006 also burns oil. 2010 is 2aR.
sorry 2007 to 2009....u didnt specify,u made it look like all 2AZ got dat issue.....wot car do u use,does it burn oil,wots ur oil change interval,wots ur oil weight (pls we are all learning)
Re: Oil Burning Issues by Dozieson(m): 9:00am On Jun 12, 2022
melviniyke2002:
sorry 2007 to 2009....u didnt specify,u made it look like all 2AZ got dat issue.....wot car do u use,does it burn oil,wots ur oil change interval,wots ur oil weight (pls we are all learning)

Well, I am using Camry 2005. Had to change the engine to japanese specs because it was burning oil.

I use Mobil 5w 30 but I don't think oil matters in oil burns issue

2 Likes

Re: Oil Burning Issues by Kreamie(m): 9:08am On Jun 12, 2022
Who else read that as PVC valves?
dru23:

Have a mechanic check the pcv valves .. Usually when they go bad it can add to your oil consumption .. If it does need replacement make sure u buy a brand new 1.......

And also try using Mobil 1 5w40.... And from there monitor the oil consumption ...... Let's take things step by step

We might have Mobil 1 5w40 in stock for 27k ...Call my business line and someone can assist you

Re: Oil Burning Issues by melviniyke2002(m): 3:31pm On Jun 12, 2022
Dozieson:

Well, I am using Camry 2005. Had to change the engine to japanese specs because it was burning oil.

I use Mobil 5w 30 but I don't think oil matters in oil burns issue
D 2005 toyota camry is a nice car,if u hv d Japanese engine....I am looking @upgrading to 2013 corolla.....is it a gud car.....hope its nt thieve magnate like 2003 to 2006 corolla.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should I Buy The Audi Q7 (2007-2009)? / Tundra 2007 Or Range Rover Sport / 09 Highlander V6 (2gr) Burnt 2quarts Of Oil In 1750miles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.