Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty (21102 Views)

Asisat Oshoala Injured, To Be Out Of Action For Two Months / John Ogu To Politicians: Ask Your Children To Represent Nigeria In Coming Games / Nwanneka Destiny, John Ogu's Sister Shades His Estranged Wife’s Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by robosky02(m): 3:54pm On Jan 02, 2022
One manager asked me to lie I was injured to avoid Super Eagles duty – John Ogu recalls experience

Nigerian midfielder, John Ogu, has revealed how a manager in Portugal asked him to lie about getting injured, to avoid representing his country.

This comes amid the club versus country row ahead of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations.

Ogu was told to lie but ignored the manager’s hint and honoured the international call-up, which consequently made him lose his regular playing spot.

As a result, he subsequently missed the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

“I’m not even surprised at the situation of the foreign managers or clubs not wanting their players to go represent their country in tournaments,” Ogu tweeted.

“One certain manager in Portugal asked [that] I tell the coach of Eagles then that I was injured so as not to go for a friendly game.

“After I left, went back to the club, he stopped playing me, and this was prior to the World Cup coming that year.

“I made mention of it here and many out here said I was lying and so on. Una don see how them be now?”

Ogu, who ultimately missed out on the 2014 tournament, has been without a club since 2020.

https://dailypost.ng/2022/01/02/one-manager-asked-me-to-lie-i-was-injured-to-avoid-super-eagles-duty-john-ogu-recalls-experience/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by paulolee(m): 4:28pm On Jan 02, 2022
not surprised bcox the same happened between Mikel n conte wen mikel choosed olympics against club football n dts the same thing that i was saying about the denis case with Watford..
the point is dt, this problem isnt starting this year bcoz of covid, its a been their for long.
European clubs av always believed that January AFCON do disturb club activities BT d difference between then n now is that..
our African legends like Eto, drogba, adebayo, diop, yaya, okocha, kanu etc were all loyal n committed to African football which gave them more respect back then and also dey were more happy representing dier country n playing in Africa unlike the players dt we av today dt are moni chasers for example ziyech..
which coach go tell Drogba, kanoute, adebayo, kanu or Eto to choose between country n club wen AFCON is involved??
whites dnt joke with loyalty, dey wont dare such if dey see one...
I think our players needs to do more or it gets worst than dis..

129 Likes 5 Shares

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 02, 2022
I never knew that at a point in type the "blacks" from Africa especially would become an undumpable jewellery

8 Likes

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by paulolee(m): 5:51pm On Jan 02, 2022
Enoch3721:
I never knew that at a point in type the "blacks" from Africa especially would become an undumpable jewellery
lolz...but dis same their character is killing Africa football n our coaches or football organization aint helping..
there is currently another problem between the same Watford n senegal about releasing sarr for AFCON n Watford are serious about it while Senegal are about reporting them to FIFA...
wat did NFF do about denis?? dey jus allow it slide n cnt fight for him to join us..
also, assuming denis join us, he returns to watford n start seeing less game time, this same NFF will still drop him for worldcup saying he isnt playing or active forgetting his sacrifice he made jus like d case of this ogu..
seriously we don't know wat we want in this Nigeria.....I dnt blame denis though

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 9:07pm On Jan 02, 2022
Everyone trying to protect his interest

1 Like

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:07pm On Jan 02, 2022
Excerpts from Wright on this issue....

Players are allowed to play for their clubs until 3 January before leaving for the Africa Cup of Nations after Fifa rules stating clubs must release players by 27 December was changed "in the spirit of goodwill and solidarity".

"Loads of the best players in Europe right now are African," said Wright.

"If we love them at club level why can't we love them at international level like their counterparts across the globe? Why is this tournament constantly getting so much flak?

"I have got to give a shout out to the players like Sebastien Haller who are taking a stand against the media backlash, plus Patrick Vieira for coming out and speaking about this.

"This is why it is important to have a black manager who can let people understand where his roots are and how important this tournament is for African people.

24 Likes 8 Shares

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by landIsDea: 9:08pm On Jan 02, 2022
That's their way
Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by Diijegii(m): 9:08pm On Jan 02, 2022
Too bad
Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by HEAVEN4444: 9:09pm On Jan 02, 2022
shocked
Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by specialmati(m): 9:09pm On Jan 02, 2022
cool cool cool cool cool if no be say nigeria na yeye country wetin wan carry person go play for European clubs when we have alot of clubs here or even create more

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by specialmati(m): 9:09pm On Jan 02, 2022
post=109026739:
Reading
sad sad sad sad please use only 2 line to write whatever you want to write don't give us long epistle this is a new year

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by wiseone28: 9:09pm On Jan 02, 2022
But most Nigerian made us believe that white people don't tell lies.. since they are next to God

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by Victorclean1: 9:10pm On Jan 02, 2022
It's because they have not kidnapped any of your relations that made you believe anything good will come out of this zoo.

Nigeria infiltrated by Fulani(fourth deadliest terrorist organisation in the world) is not worth fighting for.

John fashunu is still receiving monthly allowance for playing for England. Ask Jay Jay , Kanu etc ,how much they were receiving?. They fought with their life to retain their hotels.

They would have pay you more and u forfeit the zoo representation.

1 Like

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by Profayo: 9:10pm On Jan 02, 2022
All these issues, I blame it on CAF and African countries.
We demand respect from European countries but we fail do develop ourselves

What stops African leagues from being at Par with European leagues, what stops players from other countries running to Africa to play?

If only we can develop our football locally and our stars play in Africa, we won't have all these issues.

We must come to the reality that CAF don't have any influence, they have no respect. When Mikel represented Nigeria at the olympics, it ended his Chelsea Career. Messi and Neymar represented their countries at Olympics without issues. During the last international break, South American players in the premier league had issues with playing for their country or missing a match for their clubs,the premier league clubs arranged a chattered flight for the players so they can get back in time.Thats because they have a strong continental union who backs their players not ass licking caf and NFF

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by dialfa: 9:10pm On Jan 02, 2022
Good manager. See how this one destroyed his career because of the Zoo.
Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by Felabrity: 9:10pm On Jan 02, 2022
These clubs should be sued

Even Osihmen doesn't have covid

Well, I hope he won't be filled of regrets years from now, just like you

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by AquaPetals(f): 9:10pm On Jan 02, 2022
CAF should have found a way to play the AFCON around July/August, so as to have a win-win situation.
If I were football manager, I won't release any players. Imagine Liverpool loosing her key talismen. And it's not like these CAF or African FA would compesete players.
Saka, Alli, Abraham all made the best decision of their lives in shunning NFF

5 Likes

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by BlaqJosh: 9:10pm On Jan 02, 2022
Na so
Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by shevchenko(m): 9:11pm On Jan 02, 2022
paulolee:
not surprised bcox the same happened between Mikel n conte wen mikel choosed olympics against club football n dts the same thing that i was saying about the denis case with Watford..
the point is dt, this problem isnt starting this year bcoz of covid, its a been their for long.
European clubs av always believed that January AFCON do disturb club activities BT d difference between then n now is that..
our African legends like Eto, drogba, adebayo, diop, yaya, okocha, kanu etc were all loyal n committed to African football which gave them more respect back then and also dey were more happy representing dier country n playing in Africa unlike the players dt we av today dt are moni chasers for example ziyech..
which coach go tell Drogba, kanoute, adebayo, kanu or Eto to choose between country n club wen AFCON is involved??
whites dnt joke with loyalty, dey wont dare such if dey see one...
I think our players needs to do more or it gets worst than dis..
Mike Sabi ball? Abegiii comot

4 Likes

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by Felabrity: 9:11pm On Jan 02, 2022
They had time and breaks for Euro and Copa America,
and even useless competition like Nations league but are denying this players a chance of playing in the Afcon 2021

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by Kennitrust(m): 9:12pm On Jan 02, 2022
Good
Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by Judolisco(m): 9:16pm On Jan 02, 2022
What's his name?
Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by Uyi168: 9:16pm On Jan 02, 2022
wiseone28:
But most Nigerian made us believe that white people don't tell lies.. since they are next to God
the greatest liars, killers and cheats on earth are the whites.

3 Likes

Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by wiseone28: 9:18pm On Jan 02, 2022
Uyi168:
the greatest liars, killers and cheats on earth are the whites.
Pro white here will disagree on that
Re: John Ogu: One Manager Asked Me To Lie I Was Injured To Avoid Super Eagles Duty by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 02, 2022
This people don't rate the African continent well at all. They have zero respect for Africa.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Super Eagles Miss Flight To South-Africa / Oluwafemi Oyeleye Signs Contract With Floyd Mayweather's Company. Photos / The New NPFL Referees Kit For The 2016/2017 Season (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.