Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,978 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? (1221 Views)

What It Means When You Are Eating Meat In The Dream / Brothers, How Do You Cope Sitting Beside Ladies That Bare Cleavage In Church? / What Happens When People Die? (find Out) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by Truvelisback(m): 1:30pm On Jan 03, 2022
Good day, Fellas. How do u cope and resist the temptation of not eating while fasting when people are eating around u?
Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by OluwaJohn77: 1:35pm On Jan 03, 2022
When fasting you stay inside your room and pray/worship your God; who will come and tempt you with food inside your room?
Fasting without prayer and worship is a waste of time and effort

2 Likes

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by Truvelisback(m): 1:43pm On Jan 03, 2022
OluwaJohn77:
When fasting you stay inside your room and pray/worship your God; who will come and tempt you with food inside your room?
Fasting without prayer and worship is a waste of time and effort
Let's say u are with ur parents and siblings in the same house. They are eating, u are the only one fasting. How do u cope or resist the temptation?

1 Like

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by illicit(m): 1:43pm On Jan 03, 2022
I let dem eat

1 Like

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by OluwaJohn77: 9:45pm On Jan 03, 2022
Truvelisback:
Let's say u are with ur parents and siblings in the same house. They are eating, u are the only one fasting. How do u cope or resist the temptation?
It is a self discipline thing, if you determine not to eat no matter what you won't eat, since nobody will force it into your mouth

1 Like

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by Truvelisback(m): 10:21pm On Jan 03, 2022
illicit:
I let dem eat
Do u think it's easy to resist the aroma of a delicious meal?
Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by jesusjnr2020(m): 10:32pm On Jan 03, 2022
Truvelisback:
Do u think it's easy to resist the aroma of a delicious meal?
With God nothing is impossible.

Even if they lock you inside the kitchen, with fried rice, dodo and fried Chicken, chivita, hollandia and every other such thing, you would be able to resist it with God if you're really serious.

1 Like

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by Truvelisback(m): 10:44pm On Jan 03, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
With God nothing is impossible.

Even if they lock you inside the kitchen, with fried rice, dodo and fried Chicken, chivita, hollandia and every other such thing, you would be able to resist it with God if you're really serious.
I get ur point but remember, we are humans. And not everyone has that ability to resist that. What i usually do is that, i would leave the house immediately and go to somewhere else until they are through eating.

1 Like

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:13pm On Jan 04, 2022
If you're talking about the fasting having to do with FOOD, Jesus fasted once in the wilderness where no one is eating around him! Matthew 4:1; Luke 4:1
Afterwards Jesus eats his food everyday where everyone can notice that he doesn't have anything to do with fasting where there is food neither does he encourage anyone to go for hunger strike! Matthew 9:14
So if anyone wants to fast with reference to abstinence from food today and you're not ready to go into the wilderness where no one will eat beside you the same way Jesus did then you're ON YOUR OWN! smiley
Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by illicit(m): 1:41pm On Jan 04, 2022
I went to a place in Ilorin during a Ramadan....

To rent a bike, the people that rented a bike to me were fasting

So I bought Yoghurt and pie and as I was eating they began to grumble that I shouldn't be eating around them.

2 Likes

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by jesusjnr2020(m): 2:37pm On Jan 04, 2022
Truvelisback:
I get ur point but remember, we are humans. And not every has that ability to resist that. What i usually do is that, i would leave the house immediately and go to somewhere else until they are through eating.
That's why I said "with God", because it's only possible for someone to be able to resist such things when God gives the person the ability to do so. That's why when I fast or even pray, I ask for God's help to complete it. I learnt to rely on His help a lot for without Him I can do nothing. So it's with Him I am also able to resist food even when it is tantalising and very inviting when I'm fasting.

I understand you though and think it's wise for someone to not tempt himself with what he cannot handle.

God bless.

2 Likes

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by Truvelisback(m): 5:01pm On Jan 04, 2022
illicit:
I went to a place in Ilorin during a Ramadan....

To rent a bike, the people that rented a bike to me were fasting

So I bought Yoghurt and pie and as I was eating they began to grumble that I shouldn't be eating around them.
The temptation isn't that easy to resist especially when u aren't sure weda there would be food again for u to break the fast, if u miss the present opportunity u have to eat.
Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by Truvelisback(m): 5:07pm On Jan 04, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
That's why I said "with God", because it's only possible for someone to be able to resist such things when God gives the person the ability to do so. That's why when I fast or even pray, I ask for God's help to complete it. I learnt to rely on His help a lot for without Him I can do nothing. So it's with Him I am also able to resist food even when it is tantalising and very inviting when I'm fasting.

I understand you though and think it's wise for someone to not tempt himself with what he cannot handle.

God bless.
Yea, u could imagine how very hungry Jesus was(40days & 40 nights fasting), when satan came to tempt him, to turn stones into bread so that he would eat.
Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by illicit(m): 5:07pm On Jan 04, 2022
Truvelisback:
The temptation isn't that easy to resist especially when u aren't sure weda there would be food again for u to break the fast, if u miss the present opportunity u have to eat.

I left the place hurriedly

They said I have no right to eat around them since I knew they were fasting

How was I supposed to know tho, but I knew

But how does it affect my own right to eat like I have been eating before

It's just like I should tell okada to stop moving in front of my house because I don't ride okada

2 Likes

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by Truvelisback(m): 5:14pm On Jan 04, 2022
illicit:

I left the place hurriedly

They said I have no right to eat around them since I knew they were fasting

How was I supposed to know tho, but I knew

But how does it affect my own right to eat like I have been eating before

It's just like I should tell okada to stop moving in front of my house because I don't ride okada
Some food aroma can be very tempting and can amplify ur hunger and tempt u to break ur fast. U may start struggling with ur urself weda to eat or not.

1 Like

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:42pm On Jan 04, 2022
Truvelisback:
Yea, u could imagine how very hungry Jesus was(40days & 40 nights fasting), when satan came to tempt him, to turn stones into bread so that he would eat.

Satan asked Jesus to turn stone into bread because Jesus was in the wilderness where nobody can offer him food! smiley

1 Like

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by jesusjnr2020(m): 6:04pm On Jan 04, 2022
Truvelisback:
True. You can imagine that Jesus was surrounded by food in that sense, yet He lived by God's Word alone.

3 Likes

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by Truvelisback(m): 6:34pm On Jan 04, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
True. You can imagine that Jesus was surrounded by food in that sense, yet He lived by God's Word alone.
How was he surrounded by food? In the wilderness? Someone was very weak and hungry?
Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by Truvelisback(m): 6:38pm On Jan 04, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Satan asked Jesus to turn stone into bread because Jesus was in the wilderness where nobody can offer him food! smiley
Aside that, satan knew that Jesus was on fasting and he knew Jesus was very hungry and weak physically too, that was why he tempted Jesus.

2 Likes

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:43pm On Jan 04, 2022
jesusjnr2020:

You're free to call me anything you like after all your friend Peace is still very much around, Jesus had no food in the wilderness.
That's why Satan who knows that Jesus has the power to turn stone (inedible) to bread (food) wink
Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by jesusjnr2020(m): 6:55pm On Jan 04, 2022
Truvelisback:
How was he surrounded by food? In the wilderness? Someone was very weak and hungry?
There was no bread in the wilderness but there were stones, and Jesus had the power to turn the stones to bread, and the devil knew He did, that's why he told Him to do so. So the stones could be said to be potential food, but Jesus despite having the power to turn the stones to bread to use it quench His hunger in the wilderness, resisted the temptation and yet lived by God's Word alone.

God bless.

2 Likes

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:14pm On Jan 04, 2022
Truvelisback:
Aside that, satan knew that Jesus was on fasting and he knew Jesus was very hungry and weak physically too, that was why he tempted Jesus.

The real truth is that Jesus wasn't fasting at all! smiley

Note that after his baptism it was God's Holy Spirit that led him to a lonely place (wilderness)

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. Matthew 4:1-2 NIV

Compare to

Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry. Luke 4:1-2 NIV

According to Matthew's understanding whoever spent 40 days and 40 nights without food must be fasting.
According to Luke since Jesus never intended to fast it's not a fasting at all, that's why he omitted that word "fasting" in his own account.
This same thing happened to Moses when God took him to a lonely place for 40 days and 40 nights {Exodus 34:28} Moses didn't record it as fasting because it wasn't his intentions to go without food.
So if it's not Jesus' intention to go into the wilderness but taken their by the Holy Spirit it must have been the same thing that happened: God was teaching Jesus how he will spend the rest of his days as a human who is now about to abandon his job (carpentry) for the Good News of God's kingdom.
That's why nobody can state how fasting regarding food should be practiced because Jesus never taught his disciples how to go about it!

Satan only wanted to seize the opportunity to make Jesus use his God's given powers for selfish reasons that's why Jesus reminded Satan that even Moses and Elijah who are just an ordinary human (not a supernatural being like Jesus) survived without food for 40 days and 40 nights because God was with them! 1Kings 19:8

If you want to know the real meaning of FASTING please read the Bible book of Isaiah 58:1-7 then we'll discuss on it later! smiley
Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by Truvelisback(m): 7:25pm On Jan 04, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

The real truth is that Jesus wasn't fasting at all! smiley

Note that after his baptism it was God's Holy Spirit that led him to a lonely place (wilderness)

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. Matthew 4:1-2 NIV

Compare to

Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry. Luke 4:1-2 NIV

According to Matthew's understanding whoever spent 40 days and 40 nights without food must be fasting.
According to Luke since Jesus never intended to fast it's not a fasting at all, that's why he omitted that word "fasting" in his own account.
This same thing happened to Moses when God took him to a lonely place for 40 days and 40 nights {Exodus 34:28} Moses didn't record it as fasting because it wasn't his intentions to go without food.
So if it's not Jesus' intention to go into the wilderness but taken their by the Holy Spirit it must have been the same thing that happened: God was teaching Jesus how he will spend the rest of his days as a human who is now about to abandon his job (carpentry) for the Good News of God's kingdom.
That's why nobody can state how fasting regarding food should be practiced because Jesus never taught his disciples how to go about it!

Satan only wanted to seize the opportunity to make Jesus use his God's given powers for selfish reasons that's why Jesus reminded Satan that even Moses and Elijah who are just an ordinary human (not a supernatural being like Jesus) survived without food for 40 days and 40 nights because God was with them! 1Kings 19:8

If you want to know the real meaning of FASTING please read the Bible book of Isaiah 58:1-7 then we'll discuss on it later! smiley

Oga, Jesus fasted 40 days and 40 nights. He was on fasting when satan tempted him.

2 Likes

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:13pm On Jan 04, 2022
Truvelisback:
Oga, Jesus fasted 40 days and 40 nights. He was on fasting when satan tempted him.
No wahala at least Moses {Exodus 34:28} Elijah {1Kings 19:8} and Jesus {Matthew 4:1-2} did the same thing: 40 days and 40 nights.
None of them did it where anyone can see them so i've solved the riddle here, there's no servant of God who fasted where people will be eating while they are starving.
Hen go and do the same in lonely places nah if you want to do like them! smiley
Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by Truvelisback(m): 9:28pm On Jan 04, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

No wahala at least Moses {Exodus 34:28} Elijah {1Kings 19:8} and Jesus {Matthew 4:1-2} did the same thing: 40 days and 40 nights.
None of them did it where anyone can see them so i've solved the riddle here, there's no servant of God who fasted where people will be eating while they are starving.
Hen go and do the same in lonely places nah if you want to do like them! smiley
Do u mean that when a person fast and sit where people are eating, it means he/she is starving?
Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:08am On Jan 05, 2022
Truvelisback:
Do u mean that when a person fast and sit where people are eating, it means he/she is starving?

You people love deceit so continue deceiving yourselves.

Truvelisback:

Is this not what you said when i tried to enlighten you further?

Ògbẹ́ni go and continue with your fasting, it's not a matter of argument, when you've heard the voice of WISDOM {John 10:4} but rejected it what else do you want me to do?
Even Jesus himself can only pass the message he can't force it into anyone's brains.
So go and continue with your fasting if what you've heard doesn't appeal to you! smiley
Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by Truvelisback(m): 8:41am On Jan 05, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

You people love deceit so continue deceiving yourselves.

Is this not what you said when i tried to enlighten you further?

Ògbẹ́ni go and continue with your fasting, it's not a matter of argument, when you've heard the voice of WISDOM {John 10:4} but rejected it what else do you want me to do?
Even Jesus himself can only pass the message he can't force it into anyone's brains.
So go and continue with your fasting if what you've heard doesn't appeal to you! smiley
U are the one complicating it. U don't ans questions in a straight way.

2 Likes

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:12am On Jan 05, 2022
Truvelisback:
Never mind my comments that's complicating, your friends are here they will come and answer you in a straight way! smiley
Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by achorladey: 7:58pm On Jan 05, 2022
Truvelisback:

Na him way of twisting grammar to suit his ideology grin

Sometimes you need to show am evidence from his taskmasters and those controlling him in order for him to either DENY, ADMIT or LIE.

1 Like

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by achorladey: 8:00pm On Jan 05, 2022
Truvelisback:

Laughing at the bold as it applies to whom it may concern grin grin grin

Re: How Do U Cope Fasting When People Are Eating Around U? by KNOWMORE56: 8:36pm On Jan 05, 2022
achorladey:

Na him way of twisting grammar to suit his ideology grin

Sometimes you need to show am evidence from his taskmasters and those controlling him in order for him to either DENY, ADMIT or LIE.

Thank you jare. im problem no b here

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hell Exists / How True Is This Claim (photos) / People, Stop Leaving Your Children In Church Care! (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.