Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. (20463 Views)

U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals / Visa Interview Date With The American Embassy, Any Advice? / My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 18, 2011
Toaskarity:

you mentioning the bad ones! what about okonji and co? anyway as bad they are so are the male even worse. i only guess(the word 'may') if our savior might come from them! doesn t mean they are better
Women are too emotional and lack true sense of judgement.so I won't waste my vote on such.Btw,have you ever had to drag a lane with a Nigerian woman while driving before ? They are always bossy !
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 18, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Women are too emotional and lack true sense of judgement.so I won't waste my vote on such.Btw,have you ever had to drag a lane with a Nigerian woman while driving before ? They are always bossy !
mmhh!!! never drive for naija shaa.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by Nobody: 8:41am On Jun 18, 2011
Toaskarity:

mmhh!!! never drive for naija shaa.
That is why I won't vote a woman as our president.Pat controls jonathan,the same way powerful Turai controlled yardua till his death.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 18, 2011
~Bluetooth:

That is why I won't vote a woman as our president.Pat controls jonathan,the same way powerful Turai controlled yardua till his death.
grin grin grin grin grin it seems you have dine with them up to knowing this!
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by Nobody: 10:24am On Jun 18, 2011
Toaskarity:

grin grin grin grin grin it seems you have dine with them up to knowing this!

Not really.Save for the privileges of the offices these guys occupy,they are not better off than most of us.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by MMM2(m): 10:28am On Jun 18, 2011
i saw d fool d last time i waz in 9ja, never new d woman is like dat.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by solomto(f): 10:53am On Jun 18, 2011
U guys are deviating frm d main issue and i also believe that some of u got ur visas frm a woman. The issue is abt the Asian woman nasty attitude and hers doesn't represent every woman.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by AjanleKoko: 10:57am On Jun 18, 2011
igbonla:

Inaccurate information and dangers of a single side story! What do you expect when people don't prepare for interviews and some probably has forged documentation to support their applications? In all the years I appeared at the US embassy in Lagos, I can safely conclude that most of the interviewers are quite generous, 3 examples worth sharing:

Case 1: A guy carelessly boasted that his wife had their last baby in the US just to convince the interviewer that he has been traveling quite some bit, then he got stuck at the point of showing proof of payment for the childbirth since neither himself or the wife was a US resident or citizen. He was viciously denied for abusing US medicare system.
Case 2: An unmarried lady came for dropbox interview (back then) and was feeling fly about getting the visa but could not convince the interviewer that she will not stay put in the US though she returned the first time. No ongoing schooling in Nigeria, no property, nothing whatsoever.
Case 3: A guy was going to attend a conference and had paid some miserable amount of money for it (like <$1,000), then he got challenged on supporting his participation with his past activities in Nigeria. This guy struggled and sweated so much but didn't have any explanation, felt pretty embarrassed at his folly as a fellow Nigerian.

If you are confident of your case, there is no way you can be treated like trash (Asian woman or no Asian woman). You can politely challenge the interviewer and that is the confidence lacking in most people; negotiating from a position of weakness and carrying it on your face is dangerous.
I got refused once in 1998 (actually asked to withdraw my application), the interviewer asked why I wasn't married despite my status! I responded questioning him if it was a crime to be unmarried at my age in America, I had been in the US earlier and didn't overstay. I could have refused to withdraw my application and appealed any refusal but I was not so keen on the trip and wasn't ready for any battle. I have never had any refusal since then.
At another time, I was interviewed by a very bag (fat) lady at the US embassy in Lagos and was the only person she granted a visa that day till I left, even the security guys rejoiced with me. I never knew the lady was known for such and some folks ahead of me took the "toilet route" (just as narrated by the poster) just to avoid the woman - didn't realize this until after interacting with one of the security folks.

Every applicant for non-immigrant visa is viewed as a potential immigrant and the onus is on the applicant to prove otherwise.
Bottom line is to get prepared for the interview, do not present documents you cannot defend, talk to those who have been through it and succeeded, be confident, have nice disposition (afterall life wont end soon and your life doesn't depend on the visa) and the interview will be a piece of cake.

Unfortunately, most people who apply for a visa at any embassy do not really qualify for one by the American standards, and are probably planning to stay put. So we all get painted with a broad brush. Well, nothing we can do about that. I still ensure I provide enuf attitude anytime i have to do a visa interview grin

solomto:

U guys are deviating frm d main issue and i also believe that some of u got your visas frm a woman. The issue is abt the Asian woman nasty attitude and hers doesn't represent every woman.

I wish. I've never been denied a US visa, or even stressed. All my interviewers have been men.
On the contrary, I have been given grief and had my time wasted thrice at the point of entry into the US. All the immigration officers in each case were women.
I no dey discriminate o, but help me out here. What conclusions am I expected to draw?
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by noblemuk: 11:24am On Jun 18, 2011
I was at the US embassy in Abuja a month ago and i saw this woman. It is true she is quite harsh though she hardly interviews anyone, she is often busy checking everyone's document at the counter before you sit to wait for your interview turn. A scenario i witnessed is her engaging in some serious interrogation of a Hausa senator who came with his wife and child after she had been asked to comeback on a later date with her husband. He showed up and the Ashian lady said there was nothing to prove that the about 60years old man was married to her, aside that, that the kid is theirs. It is quite a simple case, in my own opinion, she was right, though the senator agued that  They got married several years ago and in their part of the country certificates are not usually issued, marriage is done as long as families agree, well you can't blame the Asian lady for insisting that he comes back with an evidence or forget about his wife and supposedly kid going to the US.

In my own opinion, when you visit the embassy be sure you have complete documents and ones you can defend, most appropriately, tell the truth and be smart about it. When you tell the truth you won't be scared of making mistakes because they are psychologists and are good at asking same questions in several ways and sometimes could choose to intimidate you to get you to make blunders especially if you are lying. Be sure who ever you are claiming to meet has a legal stay in the US and be sure you know what you are going to do in the US.

I was at the US embassy for the first time and was going to see my wife who is schooling in the US. on the first day after giving out my passport to the interviewer, he asked me for my wife's transcript, this is to show she is presently enrolled as a student in the school. This i didn't have and i told him i can get it if it's of high importance, interview time, 3min. I was giving a chance to comeback so i returned immediately the next Tuesday with the transcript, the first thing he asked me for was the transcript and as soon i as i showed him he granted me a visa without further questions, interview time less than 1min. I was kinda surprised cos he didn't ask me for my marriage certificate, wedding pictures, bank statement or any other document even though i had them all.

1 Like

Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 18, 2011
THIS WOMAN HAS ISSUES. SO DO NIGERIANS.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by candylips(m): 11:56am On Jun 18, 2011
wetin una dey go find for america sef .

for me going to america was an anticlimax. nothing dey dat place. stay in nigeria and enjoy your life
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by seal777(m): 11:59am On Jun 18, 2011
That is what we gain by been citizens of one of the most nasty countries of the world.

For those who fly abroad FOR LEISURE at the buzz of the button, start looking inward for nice resorts around where value for money are given at less than the cost of flight and embarrassment you get trying to get a visa.

i once cancelled an appointment to the US embassy after i discovered a nice resort where i could get value for my money in Nigeria and save stress flying abroad and embarrassment of getting a visa.

WE SUFFER MORE HUMILIATION IN OUR OWN HANDS ( POLICE, CUSTOMS, IMMIGRATION, SSS & MORE ) WITHOUT AVENUE OF SEEKING REDRESS : TALKING ABOUT FOREIGN EMBASSIES IS LIKE LOOKING FOR THE UNEXPECTED.

WE RE NIGERIANS, ADDRESSED THE WAY WE ADRRESS OURSELVES, THE CHOICE IS OURS.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by AjanleKoko: 12:07pm On Jun 18, 2011
candylips:

wetin una dey go find for america sef .

for me going to america was an anticlimax. nothing dey dat place. stay in nigeria and enjoy your life

America is like a Naija that works. I feel right at home there. Everybody dey craze like Nigerians, aggressive like Nigerians, big houses, highways, lots of things to spend your money on, great malls, cheap shopping. I'm seriously considering purchasing property there.
Its the UK that has nothing. In fact I have X'd the UK from my itinerary. Even opted out of a work trip sef.

seal777:

i once cancelled an appointment to the US embassy after i discovered a nice resort where i could get value for my money in Nigeria and save stress flying abroad and embarrassment of getting a visa.

First off, no be resort people dey find go America.
Second, where the resort for Nigeria dey? Can you provide details?
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by Babakenny(m): 12:07pm On Jun 18, 2011
The 'FAMOUS' Asian lady was in Lagos embassy before she got butted out to Abuja. She's a sadist, Just ignore her window. I knw her very well when she was in Lagos, Stupid fool.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by Vicjustice: 12:09pm On Jun 18, 2011
seal777:

That is what we gain by been citizens of one of the most nasty countries of the world.

For those who fly abroad FOR LEISURE at the buzz of the button, start looking inward for nice resorts around where value for money are given at less than the cost of flight and embarrassment you get trying to get a visa.

WE SUFFER MORE HUMILIATION IN OUR OWN HANDS ( POLICE, CUSTOMS, IMMIGRATION, SSS & MORE ) WITHOUT AVENUE OF SEEKING REDRESS : TALKING ABOUT FOREIGN EMBASSIES IS LIKE LOOKING FOR THE UNEXPECTED.

WE RE NIGERIANS, ADDRESSED THE WAY WE ADRRESS OURSELVES, THE CHOICE IS OURS.
[size=50pt]Excelent, 5 stars!!![/size]
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by AjanleKoko: 12:31pm On Jun 18, 2011
Redman44:

There was this Asian lady that interviewed me for my NI Number. She was hostile right away and did not bother to reply to my greetings. She asked me if I was married ( Is that a condition for getting an NI Number?  shocked shocked ) and scowled when I said I was not married. She was so cold but I had all my documents with me. I was just pissed off. I've come across other Indian and Bangladeshi ladies that are somehow dismissive of black people.

Hehehe. Funny you should say 'lady' Kind of reinforces my view about women in the immigration biz grin

Indians are usually condescending twats. Very rude especially to blacks. I guess they think we're competition.
A lot of people say a lot about Nigerian embassies. They should try to visit an Indian embassy or Chinese embassy sometime. Rudest bunch of mofos I have ever seen.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by olapluto(m): 12:54pm On Jun 18, 2011
A similar experience with an Asian last night at Waterloo station:
This time, its not about visa, but about Rail fares. Its friday night, I decided to travel to London for the weekend, so I picked a few things and set out for London (on a South West Train route). I left around 9pm and the ticket office was closed, the machine was out of service. This is not a new thing as it happened to me once. The day I was travelling to Heathrow for a flight to Nigeria, I missed 2 trains because I was trying to get a ticket before I travelled.
Anyways, I boarded a train last night with no tickets, hoping to meet a train guard who would sell a ticket to me. They do this alot on SW trains and its not an issue (especially on the Reading line). I got to London Waterloo and looked for a train guard, but didnt see any. So I went to the ticket checkers to ask for where to buy a ticket for my journey. I was then directed to this ASIAN man.
He was attending to a lady who just came off thesame train as me. The Lady had the same problem with me, but difference is that she was coming from Royal Ascot and had this big hats on and looked posh. The ASIAN man quickly told her the fares to pay and she paid the EXACT fare. A few seconds later, he turned to me and asked what my issue was. I said 'same problem with the lady, but different set out point'. He looked at me and smiled wickedly and said I had to pay a £20 fine. I was furious but didnt let out my anger. I told him I was not going to pay in a respectful way and demanded to pay the exact fare as the oyinbo lady paid. He then looked at me and said if I repeat that am not paying, he will get me arrested. I have never been arrested in the UK, so I told him still I was not paying. He called the police over and I explained to the police that I am not a fare-evader and am just a victim of their faulty system. The police then asked me to lodge an appeal but still take the fine. I told them there and then that I will do that.
They asked for my name, DOB and address. I provided them with my name(ommited my other name) and gave them my address. The ASIAN man then tried verifying my address and said it was FAKE. I was furious and told him to stop insulting me. The police lady there then tried to verify the address and said she found the address, but not my name on that address. they asked if I was British, and I said am Nigerian. Before I could say a word, And I wasnt even aggresive in anyways, I was rough handled and handcuffed! They then went ahead to frisk me right there in the full glare of people at Waterloo. They expected me to be violent, but I was cool and calm and asking many probing questions. I was later allowed to tell them why I wasnt registered on the police database was because I just moved to the address. They went ahead to confirm this. WHile confirming, they asked for my immigration status! I said I was legal and am a research student, hence my moving address from midlands to Berkshire. They then went ahead to call home office. I asked why all the humiliation, and they said my body language looked suspicious. When they found that all I said was true all along, I was DE-ARRESTED (never heard that word). They then said I should give a statement, but only asked structured questions. I refused to answer the questions. E.g 'did you have a ticket when boarding the train' and they expected yes or no! I said, I had the means to buy the ticket, and was willing and able to buy, but no vendor. The police now issued a 'caution with option' and I'm expecting their charges in post next week. I will not rest till I prove my case and I will not pay that fine. I will rather leave this country for them.
Beware of ASIAN people. They're overzealous in trying to prove they're the better ethnic minorities. Unlike blacks and whites who just do the job normally, ASIAN will always try to bring down the blacks as against their race.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by Rbaby1: 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2011
9ice one
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by seal777(m): 1:03pm On Jun 18, 2011
@ajanlekoko,

if you care to read in between the lines , you will read my post noticing my emphasis on leisure in particular, for business trips , u hardly have problems cos your business and profession speaks for you in most cases and the fact that you have options makes things easier for you.

Have you ever heard of the word OBUDU? before, try visit OBUDU RANCH RESORT,  its a sight to behold. Come see even  foreigners who come from all over the world to visit week in week out while we jump at any flight going to their country to show our ineptitude and ignorance to the world.

Appreciate what you have and develop the confidence to give a damn to foreigners taking undue advantage of you.

@ ola_pluto,

I will not rest till I prove my case and I will not pay that fine. I will rather leave this country for them. , God bless and will continue to bless you for that statement of yours, AN AVERAGE NIGERIAN DON'T BELIEVE THAT YOU NEED TO DEVELOP A BASE TO DEFEND AN INJUSTICE AGAINST YOU, be it home or abroad,
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by buzugee(m): 1:14pm On Jun 18, 2011
this is not brain surgery. indians are like nigerians. they are from a deprived background so they have a nigerian mindset. they are light skinned nigerians. now this indian lady fortunately for her becomes an american citizen and secures a job at the american embassy in naija. now she has a nigerian mind. she knows all the tricks in the book (keep in mind indians are more corrupt than nigerians). before you make 1 move she is two steps ahead of you. she knows 99.999999999 percent of youse coming for a visa dont intend to ever come back to naija again (because it is the same in her country with her fellow indians). so she is going to deny you the visa at all cost. opari. matter finish. this got nothing to do with being a woman or indians hating blacks. she sees into your soul. she is you.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by AjanleKoko: 1:22pm On Jun 18, 2011
seal777:

@ajanlekoko,

if you care to read in between the lines , you will read my post noticing my emphasis on leisure in particular,  for business trips , u hardly have problems cos your business and profession speaks for you in most cases and the fact that you have options makes things easier for you.

Have you ever heard of the word OBUDU? before, try visit OBUDU RANCH RESORT,  its a sight to behold. Come see even  foreigners who come from all over the world to visit week in week out while we jump at any flight going to their country to show our ineptitude and ignorance to the world.

Appreciate what you have and develop the confidence to give a damn to foreigners taking undue advantage of you.

Well, leisure means different things to different people. A holiday doesn't have to be a visit to a resort. For instance, I travel on shopping holidays with my family, and golf/sporting breaks with my friends. I even take special trips to visit museums and other places of interest. Nigerians are not the only people who go abroad on holiday, I wonder why you would think so.

As a matter of fact, I have never visited a resort on a personal trip; it's always been for one business function or the other.

I think it's rather short-sighted to say we are daft for visiting other countries. Visiting other countries is an education in itself. I have been to every single continent save for the Arctics, and Australasia, and I am proud to say I'm much the better person for it. Oh, and by the way, I have visited Obudu already. In fact, I daresay, I have been to many more resorts in Nigeria than you have.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by Princek12(m): 1:25pm On Jun 18, 2011
buzugee:

this is not brain surgery. indians are like nigerians. they are from a deprived background so they have a nigerian mindset. they are light skinned nigerians. now this indian lady fortunately for her becomes an american citizen and secures a job at the american embassy in naija. now she has a nigerian mind. she knows all the tricks in the book (keep in mind indians are more corrupt than nigerians). before you make 1 move she is two steps ahead of you. she knows 99.999999999 percent of youse coming for a visa dont intend to ever come back to naija again (because it is the same in her country with her fellow indians). so she is going to deny you the visa at all cost. opari. matter finish. this got nothing to do with being a woman or indians hating blacks. she sees into your soul. she is you.

gbam!
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by candylips(m): 1:26pm On Jun 18, 2011
AjanleKoko:

America is like a Naija that works. I feel right at home there. Everybody dey craze like Nigerians, aggressive like Nigerians, big houses, highways, lots of things to spend your money on, great malls, cheap shopping. I'm seriously considering purchasing property there.
Its the UK that has nothing. In fact I have X'd the UK from my itinerary. Even opted out of a work trip sef.

There are lots of places in this world to go for leisure and shopping. i don't know why Nigerians are so fixated about US or UK.

Even people in the UK or US get out of their country for holidays. its funny that Nigerians what to go to these places for their "holidays" instead

For example there are Fantastic holiday destinations in the caribbean where Nigerians don't even need a Visa

Why go to the US/UK for shopping when u can get the cheapest stuff anywhere in the world delivered to your doorstep by shopping online

What purpose will a property in the US serve you if you are not living there?
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by buzugee(m): 1:28pm On Jun 18, 2011
ola_pluto:

A similar experience with an Asian last night at Waterloo station:
This time, its not about visa, but about Rail fares. Its friday night, I decided to travel to London for the weekend, so I picked a few things and set out for London (on a South West Train route). I left around 9pm and the ticket office was closed, the machine was out of service. This is not a new thing as it happened to me once. The day I was travelling to Heathrow for a flight to Nigeria, I missed 2 trains because I was trying to get a ticket before I travelled.
Anyways, I boarded a train last night with no tickets, hoping to meet a train guard who would sell a ticket to me. They do this alot on SW trains and its not an issue (especially on the Reading line). I got to London Waterloo and looked for a train guard, but didnt see any. So I went to the ticket checkers to ask for where to buy a ticket for my journey. I was then directed to this ASIAN man.
He was attending to a lady who just came off thesame train as me. The Lady had the same problem with me, but difference is that she was coming from Royal Ascot and had this big hats on and looked posh. The ASIAN man quickly told her the fares to pay and she paid the EXACT fare. A few seconds later, he turned to me and asked what my issue was. I said 'same problem with the lady, but different set out point'. He looked at me and smiled wickedly and said I had to pay a £20 fine. I was furious but didnt let out my anger. I told him I was not going to pay in a respectful way and demanded to pay the exact fare as the oyinbo lady paid. He then looked at me and said if I repeat that am not paying, he will get me arrested. I have never been arrested in the UK, so I told him still I was not paying. He called the police over and I explained to the police that I am not a fare-evader and am just a victim of their faulty system. The police then asked me to lodge an appeal but still take the fine. I told them there and then that I will do that.
They asked for my name, DOB and address. I provided them with my name(ommited my other name) and gave them my address. The ASIAN man then tried verifying my address and said it was FAKE. I was furious and told him to stop insulting me. The police lady there then tried to verify the address and said she found the address, but not my name on that address. they asked if I was British, and I said am Nigerian.  Before I could say a word, And I wasnt even aggresive in anyways, I was rough handled and handcuffed! They then went ahead to frisk me right there in the full glare of people at Waterloo. They expected me to be violent, but I was cool and calm and asking many probing questions. I was later allowed to tell them why I wasnt registered on the police database was because I just moved to the address. They went ahead to confirm this. WHile confirming, they asked for my immigration status! I said I was legal and am a research student, hence my moving address from midlands to Berkshire. They then went ahead to call home office. I asked why all the humiliation, and they said my body language looked suspicious. When they found that all I said was true all along, I was DE-ARRESTED (never heard that word). They then said I should give a statement, but only asked structured questions. I refused to answer the questions. E.g 'did you have a ticket when boarding the train' and they expected yes or no! I said, I had the means to buy the ticket, and was willing and able to buy, but no vendor. The police now issued a 'caution with option' and I'm expecting their charges in post next week. I will not rest till I prove my case and I will not pay that fine. I will rather leave this country for them.
Beware of ASIAN people. They're overzealous in trying to prove they're the better ethnic minorities. Unlike blacks and whites who just do the job normally, ASIAN will always try to bring down the blacks as against their race.
bros, pay the fine and keep it moving. no matter how you dice it, you can never win this case. quick question for you ? on any train that goes from one town to the next, there are always conductors on the train who check for tickets and in your kinda situation, they give you the chance to pay the fare on the train. you are telling me you no jam any conductors on the train ? abi when conductor come you conveniently dey inside toilet dey ease yourself grin abeg pay the fine and keep it moving. you get time sef. you wan go court for train ticket wahala ?  grin
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by AjanleKoko: 1:35pm On Jun 18, 2011
candylips:

There are lots of places in this world to go for leisure and shopping. i don't know why Nigerians are so fixated about US or UK.

Even people in the UK or US get out of their country for holidays. its funny that Nigerians what to go to these places for their "holidays" instead

For example there are Fantastic holiday destinations in the caribbean where Nigerians don't even need a Visa

Why go to the US/UK for shopping when u can get the cheapest stuff anywhere in the world delivered to your doorstep by shopping online

What purpose will a property in the US serve you if you are not living there?  

Bro,
People in the UK are always going to Marbella, Sevilla, Ibiza, Mallorca, etc, to get sloshed and enjoy the sun. Not to shop.
Holiday is not only beach, sun, dolphins for crying out loud.

That's Oyinbo holiday. If I was looking for that, I live right across the road from the beach, and there are three resorts down the road from me, on the way to Epe. Why would I need to fly halfway around the world for that?

Besides, shopping in the US is way cheaper than anywhere else. Likewise the UK. I've tried to shop in Paris, Milan, Barcelona . . . na gbagaun! Plus, not much by way of variety.
Last year I headed out to a supposed 'outlet mall' on the outskirts of Dubai. Outlet mall indeed. No different from the retail prices.

No try me for shopping o grin wink

As per buying property in the US . . . it is one of the few places in the world I can consider living in, outside Nigeria. I like the attitude and the way things are done there.
I find Canada to be almost as slow and boring as Europe, and property is similarly expensive.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by olapluto(m): 1:41pm On Jun 18, 2011
buzugee:

bros, pay the fine and keep it moving. no matter how you dice it, you can never win this case. quick question for you ? on any train that goes from one town to the next, there are always conductors on the train who check for tickets and in your kinda situation, they give you the chance to pay the fare on the train. you are telling me you no jam any conductors on the train ? abi when conductor come you conveniently dey inside toilet dey ease yourself grin abeg pay the fine and keep it moving. you get time sef. you wan go court for train ticket wahala ?  grin
My brother, I am not the type to try to evade a £10 train fare. There were no conductors on the train. It was an hour journey. The reason I felt bad is because I feel this is the norm nowadays. Preferential treatment of oyinbo even they do worse than us dudus. Even in Nigeria, Lebaneses run things. Its sad and as for me, I wont let it pass.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by buzugee(m): 1:48pm On Jun 18, 2011
ola_pluto:

My brother, I am not the type to try to evade a £10 train fare. There were no conductors on the train. It was an hour journey. The reason I felt bad is because I feel this is the norm nowadays. Preferential treatment of oyinbo even they do worse than us dudus. Even in Nigeria, Lebaneses run things. Its sad and as for me, I wont let it pass.
preferential treatment of oyinbos in britain ? lmao. ermmm dude its their country. they supposed to get preferential treatment, kinda like how you will have preferential treatment over a ghanaian in naija. anyway thats beside the point. the point is that youhave nothing to gain by pursuing this fight. there is no moral victory to be had. this is not like rosa parks trying to sue the bus company for denying her rights. you were clearly wrong. ok so maybe you had good intentions but you live in an organized society and oyinbo will not understand your kind of mindset. see with oyinbo, this your kinda trip, they will have bought the ticket weeks before or even the morning of the day, when the office was opened. thats how organized they are. 'TECHNICALLY YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BOARD A TRAIN IF YOU HAVE NO TICKET'. you got no case brah. let it go.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by seal777(m): 1:51pm On Jun 18, 2011
@ajanlekoko,

I dare to ask who is robing ego shoulders with you, i will not waste my time telling you who i am , how many continents i have visited and how many cooks and drivers goes on flight journeys with me neither will i join you in broadcasting how many thousand of dollars i hold in cash while traveling.

EMPTY BARRELS MAKES SUCH A LOUD NOISE, learn to be humble cos lots of people around have achieved more than you but are too busy to tell it.

MY LITTLE CENT.
Re: Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. by AjanleKoko: 2:00pm On Jun 18, 2011
seal777:

@ajanlekoko,

I dare to ask who is robing ego shoulders with you, i will not waste my time telling you who i am , how many continents i have visited and how many cooks and drivers goes on flight journeys with me neither will i join you in broadcasting how many thousand of dollars i hold in cash while traveling.

EMPTY BARRELS MAKES SUCH A LOUD NOISE, learn to be humble cos lots of people around have achieved more than you but are too busy to tell it.

MY LITTLE CENT.

I see. No vex sir. Baba Olowo grin Poor me, common driver or maid I no get tongue
And that was why you were mentioning Obudu like it was Caesar's Palace?
I expected that kind of rejoinder, no worries. True, we're not in any competition. I just wanted to point out that I have no 'Us vs Oyinbo' hangups, neither do I have anything to prove to them. If they've got something good, I like to enjoy it. I am no hypocrite wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Car Burns On 3rd Mainland Bridge This Morning (Photos) / Another Airasia Plane Carrying 153 People Overshoots Runway In The Philippines / Impatient Truck Drivers Crush 3 Dead In Rivers State(Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.