Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Web Developer Vs Web Designer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Web Developer Vs Web Designer (1651 Views)

Full-stack Developer Vs Data Engineer / Front End Developer Vs Cloud Engineering / Programming Vs Web Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web Developer Vs Web Designer by ABSmiley: 9:49am On Jan 08, 2022
What makes a web developer and a web designer?
How does a web developer differs from a web designer?
Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by numtums(m): 9:53am On Jan 08, 2022
ABSmiley:
What makes a web developer and a web designer?
How does a web developer differs from a web designer?
Designer - drag and drop (wordpress,wix,shopify....)
Developer - builds with code from scratch (html,css,js...)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by SALVATION30(m): 10:21am On Jan 08, 2022
Web design is a subset of web development. It's also called frontend web development

Web development involves the processes responsible for design,replying and maintaining web apps. It's a superset it we design. Skills under web development are vast out some are: web design(html,css,js, libraries and frameworks), backend(nodejs,js,python,php), devops(CI/CD,automated testing), cloud development (aws,heroku),...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:34am On Jan 08, 2022
SALVATION30:
Web design is a subset of web development. It's also called frontend web development

Web development involves the processes responsible for design,replying and maintaining web apps. It's a superset it we design. Skills under web development are vast out some are: web design(html,css,js, libraries and frameworks), backend(nodejs,js,python,php), devops(CI/CD,automated testing), cloud development (aws,heroku),...
Frontend web development isn't web design.

4 Likes

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:37am On Jan 08, 2022
Designers make. Developers build. Before a website is built. There's a UI UX designer that makes all the designs. The developers bring those designs that the designer has built to live. Think of the relationship between a developer and a designer like that between an architect and a civil engineer or that between draughtsmen and engineers. It's exactly how it is in software engineering. Designers are our architects while we are the civil engineers and it's not just websites. Every software that has a sort of graphical interface has a designer that has worked on it before the developers went to work.

10 Likes

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by BlaqFaze: 11:23am On Jan 08, 2022
numtums:

Designer - drag and drop (wordpress,wix,shopify....)
Developer - builds with code from scratch (html,css,js...)
web designers use tools like Figma, Adobe XD, Photoshop

Developers actually use WordPress, Shopify in addition to html, css, js...

1 Like

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by BlaqFaze: 11:31am On Jan 08, 2022
SALVATION30:

Designing UI is different from building UI...stop misleading people

1 Like

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by SALVATION30(m): 12:34pm On Jan 08, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Sorry my mistake. But i hope you know that web designers need at least a basic knowledge in html, css and js.
For anyone looking forward to becoming a freelancing web designer, in addition to some ui/ux software(figma,...) you need to know some html,css and js
https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-need-to-learn-programming-for-web-designing

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:37pm On Jan 08, 2022
SALVATION30:

Sorry my mistake. But i hope you know that web designers need at least a basic knowledge in html, css and js.
For anyone looking forward to becoming a freelancing web designer, in addition to some ui/ux software(figma,...) you need to know some html,css and js
They don't. I have worked with countless designers and they don't even know HTML.
Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by SALVATION30(m): 12:50pm On Jan 08, 2022
BlaqFaze:
Designing UI is different from building UI...stop misleading people
Using the term "front-end web development" was my mistake.

But what I was trying to point out is that learning web design alone can be very limiting especially considering how employers could easily include web designing skills for job postings.
https://ng.linkedin.com/jobs/view/web-designer-at-flutterwave-at-flutterwave-2866945865?refId=eoGwHppAsouGwLYP9y9kbA%3D%3D&trackingId=xZ29NSg6GHwT5fyASTIrFw%3D%3D&position=2&pageNum=0&trk=public_jobs_jserp-result_search-card

https://ng.linkedin.com/jobs/view/user-interface-designer-at-incash-2866309529?refId=eoGwHppAsouGwLYP9y9kbA%3D%3D&trackingId=kiNnbFwO29rHeMvZ%2B%2B3Ciw%3D%3D&position=5&pageNum=0&trk=public_jobs_jserp-result_search-card

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by numtums(m): 3:00pm On Jan 08, 2022
BlaqFaze:
web designers use tools like Figma, Adobe XD, Photoshop

Developers actually use WordPress, Shopify in addition to html, css, js...
Thanks bro
Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by akus6060(m): 3:38pm On Jan 08, 2022
This guy your explanation are always on point and cogent, I always learn from your comments.
tensazangetsu20:
Designers make. Developers build. Before a website is built. There's a UI UX designer that makes all the designs. The developers bring those designs that the designer has built to live. Think of the relationship between a developer and a designer like that between an architect and a civil engineer or that between draughtsmen and engineers. It's exactly how it is in software engineering. Designers are our architects while we are the civil engineers and it's not just websites. Every software that has a sort of graphical interface has a designer that has worked on it before the developers went to work.

1 Like

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:39pm On Jan 08, 2022
akus6060:
This guy your explanation are always on point and cogent, I always learn from your comments.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by inumidun2010(m): 7:02pm On Jan 08, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Thank you.

I've been following your comments all this while.. I want to kickstart a career in software programming, please which path should I follow?...
Boothcamp or Self learning?... The least boothcamp I checked out prices at 300k.. That's expensive for me ...

1 Like

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:06pm On Jan 08, 2022
inumidun2010:

I've been following your comments all this while.. I want to kickstart a career in software programming, please which path should I follow?...
Boothcamp or Self learning?... The least boothcamp I checked out prices at 300k.. That's expensive for me ...

You can learn on your own. Boot camps are useless.

2 Likes

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by Hannania(m): 10:17am On Jan 09, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You can learn on your own. Boot camps are useless.
Dont rubbish them in entirety. For someone having issues with procrastination, a structured bootcamp like that of Decagon or Stutern is worth it. That's if the person can afford it.

Taking a sample of Nairaland, where "broke" (no offence) persons are venturing into developments to better their lives, I guess your advice should be "you can't afford the luxury of a bootcamp since you can't afford it".

Decagon(Get placed remotely with European employers after)and Stutern(First hand interview and placements with Nigerian Firms) graduates have that luxury.

It all stems down to affordability and tack record of the bootcamp's effectiveness.
Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:21am On Jan 09, 2022
Hannania:
Dont rubbish them in entirety. For someone having issues with procrastination, a structured bootcamp like that of Decagon or Stutern is worth it. That's if the person can afford it.

Taking a sample of Nairaland, I guess your advice should be "you can't afford the luxury of a bootcamp since you can't afford it".

Decagon(Get places remotely with European employers after)and Stutern(First hand interview and placements with Nigerian Firms) graduates have that luxury.

It all stems down to affordability and tack record of the bootcamp.
Well it depends on the individual. I still believe nothing beats learning on one's own. As for jobs you don't need any placement apply to jobs and you will definitely get one.

3 Likes

Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by Hannania(m): 10:22am On Jan 09, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Well it depends on the individual. I still believe nothing beats learning on one's own. As for jobs you don't need any placement apply to jobs and you will definitely get one.
I get your point. I guess it's relative to individuals. You're right though.
Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by SKhanmi: 2:29pm On Jan 09, 2022
The self taught role is good for those who are disciplined & can efficiently cut through the information overload. It's cheaper but your abilities would be the proof. Are you good at what you do?

Bootcamps provide a more structured process, the issue is they all have different methods, course content & their respective certificates are valued differently by employers. Take UI/UX for example, You can't compare a careerfoundry graduate with someone who completed the Google Ux course. The latter provides the student with relevant foundational knowledge while the former will provide more preferable practical industry experience. Their reputation precedes them. Same cannot be said for many other so called bootcamps/courses that overpromise & under deliver. You'll just waste money. One has to be careful.

My advice for those who can't take the self taught route is to get foundational knowledge first using platforms like Udemy, Coursera, Udacity etc, then build from there with the below factors considered.

Cost, Time constraints & Value Added.
Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by Dollee: 9:11am On Jan 11, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I think what he meant was designers work most with front end developers
Re: Web Developer Vs Web Designer by mollyfq: 5:12pm On May 13, 2022
Just as an architect creates a blueprint for a house, a web designer creates a website layout for further implementation. He creates layouts, builds interfaces, and thinks through the client's interaction with the website - turning an idea or story into a visually appealing design. A web developer implements the web designer's idea, turning the layout into a working product. His task is to develop the future resource's client (front end) or server (backend) parts. There are also full-stack developers - they can completely create a working application: the backend and the frontend. When creating my site, I worked with a web designer in new Westminster.

(1) (Reply)

Android Livestream & Modern Development / Help Me With Marque In Vb / Timeline With Comment Box Attached To Each Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.