Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,707 members, 7,813,338 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:00 AM

Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies (18287 Views)

Odufu Regina Ohutu, BSU Student Dies Shortly After Receiving Whatsapp Video Call / NOCEN Anambra Student's Rag Day Costume Got People Talking (Photo) / Anambra Student Who Dressed Like Anas Aremeyaw, Masked Journalist, Chased Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by Mynd44: 5:07pm On Jan 08, 2022

Chimdalu Onyekwuluje, a boarding student of St Michael’s Boys College, Ozubulu, Anambra State, has died.

His death comes over a month after the death of Sylvester Oromoni, also a boarding student of Dowen College, Lagos.

Onyekwuluje, an 11-year-old JSS 2 student of the school, was said to have died as a result of negligence on the part of the school management, who refused to call his parents to pick him after he fell ill.

He has since been buried at Uzoakwa, Ihiala, Anambra State, in his family compound.

Parents of the deceased, Prince Cornelius and Ogochukwu Onyekwuluje, who spoke to journalists during the burial of their son said even when the student’s health had totally deteriorated, the management insisted he must stay behind to finish his exams before he would be released, saying the decision was the reason for his death.

He reportedly died on 17 December 2021, nine days after he was picked up by the parents after a cousin to the deceased borrowed a phone to alert them that the boy was ill.

Onyekwuluje said: “My son, Bright Chidalu Onyekwuluje died out of negligence on the part of the school. He was sick, and they refused to tell us. It was my son’s cousin that borrowed a phone to call his mother to tell us to come and pick Bright that he was dying.

“He told us he has been the one backing him from the school hostel to the classroom every day, to sit for exams.

“Even after the call, I reached the guardian of my son, but he lied to me that the boy was okay and that it was nothing serious. I insisted on coming from Port Harcourt, Rivers State where I live to pick him, and they insisted it was nothing serious.

“When I insisted I must see him, I was surprised the boy looked so bad that he was already dying. I asked the guardian if this was the boy he said was alright, but he did not answer. Now I have lost my only son,” he cried.

Meanwhile, the principal of the school, Rev Fr Romanus Ike Muoma has denied that the school management delayed in releasing the student to his parents.

Fr Muoma, who spoke to DAILY POST in his office during a visit said: “The boy was seen here in school moving about with other students, days before his father came. What we have here (college) is not an auxiliary nurse, but a qualified nurse from Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital Nnewi, and we pay heavily for his services.

“The boy was diagnosed with malaria, and was immediately put on treatment, and afterwards, he was okay. When it was found that the boy was ill again, it was the guardian that called the parents to come and take him.”

When told that the deceased’s cousin who had called the parent to alert them of the illness was punished by the school for doing so, Father Muoma said the boy was only made to kneel down for some minutes, saying it was against the rule for students to call parents, as calls are only made from a central point by the management.

The Onyekwuluje family has however indicated its interest to pursue justice for their son. Mr Ben Onyekwuluje, elder brother of the deceased’s father said a petition has been sent to the Inspector General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba, and the family will stop at nothing until justice is served.
https://dailypost.ng/2022/01/08/family-alleges-negligence-as-anambra-boarding-school-student-dies/

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by blockgeek69(m): 5:10pm On Jan 08, 2022
Rip to this young lad.

Parents needs to understand that the disadvantages of sending a child to a boarding school outweighs the advantage.

Fact is that Couples who are lazy at parenting are quick to enrol their kids in a boarding school.

I no dey like be FTC for this kind of news. embarassed

107 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by zed7: 5:10pm On Jan 08, 2022
Not another one. We need to prosecute and use people as scapegoats in this country.
Nigeria is in a state of anarchy. No sensible parent should take their kids to boarding in this country. In our time, we enjoyed it as the country was still a bit sane.

38 Likes

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by nwajesus12(m): 5:10pm On Jan 08, 2022
Human life is now worthless in this zoo

1 Like

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 08, 2022
Life has no value in Nigeria under buhari angry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by wwwihy: 5:11pm On Jan 08, 2022
wink wink cheesy
Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by candidbabe(f): 5:11pm On Jan 08, 2022
Oh no not again
1:Don Davis if not for the intervention of his mother
2: Sylvester oromoni
3: chimdalu onyekwuluje

I think parents should start boycotting boarding schools.

18 Likes

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by wwwihy: 5:11pm On Jan 08, 2022
nwajesus12:
Human life is now worthless in this zoo

Biafra is now part of the Zoo?

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by OldNairalander(m): 5:11pm On Jan 08, 2022
How did we get here?

3 Likes

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by InMyZone: 5:11pm On Jan 08, 2022
TF?
Boarding schools really need regulations like tight af regulations .
Regular Unannounced inspections.

My boarding school had those unannounced inspections regularly and a certain standard was maintained. There were cases of bullying and negligence but not on this scale.

S/O FGC Otobi.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by Princeadebayo11(m): 5:12pm On Jan 08, 2022
Call Falz and Mr. Macaroni including Omoyele Sowore we need to stage a protest right now. EndBoardingSchool

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by utinni(f): 5:12pm On Jan 08, 2022
they should really do something about this case

1 Like

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by naija4life247: 5:12pm On Jan 08, 2022
Children should live with their parents, not in school dormitories. They will never hear nor learn

17 Likes

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by badboyTee(m): 5:12pm On Jan 08, 2022
Parents should try to check on their children in schools just pay them surprise visits to be sure everything is okay and also have adequate knowledge of the health status of their kids before taking them to a boarding school many parents just love the fact that All their responsibility has been shifted as a parent since their kid is in a boarding school which shouldn't be so ......R.I.P to the boy who died from negligence of the parent and the school

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by specialmati(m): 5:13pm On Jan 08, 2022
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed whats all this na
Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by iamyemiakins(m): 5:13pm On Jan 08, 2022
Another one?! shocked
Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by Lovenorth: 5:13pm On Jan 08, 2022
The shedding of innocent blood is too much in the Ebo land

4 Likes

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by pretydiva(f): 5:13pm On Jan 08, 2022
All these evil boarding school sef0
Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by Thanos5555: 5:13pm On Jan 08, 2022
sad

read the post carefully again, the father saw the boy sick in the school, and also the cousin called the parents to tell that thier son is sick , yes i blame the school, but just like sylvester oromini case i will blame the parents more for NEGLIGENCE, some Nigerian parents are aware of what happens in Boarding schools, but because thier own parents took them to Boarding school and they suffered ( learn life in thier thinking by suffering).

they also want thier children to learn life also by suffering, see that is why God bless you so your children wont suffer like you did, you cant try to use suffering to teach your children about life
Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by PrinceOfLagos: 5:13pm On Jan 08, 2022
It's about time the government close down boarding schools in this country

We still on Sylvester another one don happen
Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 5:14pm On Jan 08, 2022
angry

Boarding schools should do something about this.
Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by vinceyinnovation: 5:14pm On Jan 08, 2022
F
Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by Jecci(f): 5:14pm On Jan 08, 2022
Sending a child to boarding school these days looks so scary with all the horror news of what's happening there. Boarding schools in Nigeria can now be likened to Afghanistan

I thought that with all that has happened last year in boarding schools across the country that parents will boycott sending their wards there but hell no some parents are still comfortable with their children being there. Thinking that theirs will be different

4 Likes

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by Romanoff(f): 5:14pm On Jan 08, 2022
Why has this become so rampant?

I went to a boarding school and no one ever died in school.

What has happened from then to this point?

To those saying it's lazy parenting that's making parents send their kids to boarding schools, in this time an age, can one parent shoulder the family's responsibilities?

These days that when a man meets a lady, the first question is what do you do or what do you bring to the table?

If the both of you don't work, how can you meet up with bills?

Some will say the woman should do business, is it everyone that has business acumen?

If the woman seats at home to care for the kids, na una go call her liability.

Wetin una dey find gan gan?

8 Likes

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by Nwunuken(m): 5:14pm On Jan 08, 2022
So bad I will encourage my children to go boarding school with the reports iam hearing about the the atrocities happening
Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by gambia(m): 5:14pm On Jan 08, 2022
This is becoming a norm lately, may God comfort the family.

1 Like

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by sasquare(m): 5:15pm On Jan 08, 2022
This is a terrible situation.
Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 08, 2022
undecided Sessions of Boarding school Deaths undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by NaijaCover(m): 5:15pm On Jan 08, 2022
Nawa o
Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 08, 2022
I hope for the good of humanity,that the Rev father has not turned himself into a lier trying to cover this case,seems most boarding schools now have become a dead zone.
Re: Chimdalu Onyekwuluje: Family Claims Negligence As Anambra Student Dies by GboyegaD(m): 5:16pm On Jan 08, 2022
It's a dicey situation. The school might have felt everything was under control since the sick bay was attending to him.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tragedy: Fire Razes Adopoly School of Engineering Building (PICS) / Times Ranks Covenant University As Nigeria's Top Engineering Study Destination / Mapoly Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.