Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) (1852 Views)

Nigerian Chess Book By Jawolusi Oluwaseun ~ Foreword Written By Tunde Onakoya / I Can Write A Bible Story About You In 24hrs Check Out Oluwaseun's Osewa's Story / I Can Write A Bible Story About You In 24hrs Check Out Oluwaseun's Osewa's Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 7:33pm On Jan 08, 2022
50 Percent Mine Series #1

THE HELP
Sometimes love seems so wrong, but can you tell your heart whom to fall in love with? The boss' son and the help don't fall in love; they fell in love and she is going to kiss and tell. Things can go very good or they can go very bad. Can she compete with the boss' son girlfriend who is way out of her league? An amazing romance, with enough drama and suspense to keep you spellbound.

1 Like

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 7:35pm On Jan 08, 2022
Tiana06:

THE HELP
Sometimes love seems so wrong, but can you tell your heart whom to fall in love with? The boss' son and the help don't fall in love; they fell in love and she is going to kiss and tell. Things can go very good or they can go very bad. Can she compete with the boss' son girlfriend who is way out of her league? An amazing romance, with enough drama and suspense to keep you spellbound.

I will be dropping preview chapters of this romantic bombshell series every weekend. Can't wait, please read full copy on Okadabooks
https://okadabooks.com/user/Tiana-s_diary

1 Like

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 7:52pm On Jan 08, 2022
Tiana06:

THE HELP

CHAPTER ONE

It was a busy day in the Kumuyi’s residence in Garki, tomorrow Derele is coming home or as Madam would call him Dele. I have not met him before because I came last year to work at the Kumuyi’s residence as the house help. Derele lives in the UK; when he schooled there he would usually come home for vacation but in recent years he has not visited. So I hear Mr Kumuyi is retiring as the chairman of the Coker’s group of company, a company which uses to belong to Mrs Kumuyi’s father and Derele is to take over from his father.

I have scrubbed, cleaned and decorated as I know how; even the staff have been reshuffled. Mrs Bankole also called Sisimi ceased to be the cook as a sharp looking uniformed chef, Willy was employed last week to take her place.

“Dele will want an intercontinental cuisine Sisimi, people in diaspora don’t fancy African dishes.” Madam had explained gesturing with her thumb and first finger to indicate perfection.

“But I can learn Madam.”

“No, you assist Maureen with housekeeping; she will need the help with Dele adding to the workload.”

I am just happy I can keep my job. At nineteen, having my education catered for is more than I can hope for. After my secondary school, my father could not sponsor me anymore. It is not uncommon to have the female child stop schooling in the Eastern part of Nigeria after her secondary education since she is to be married off and not be an added expense to the family. I finished school early at the age of fifteen and was sent to Lagos to stay with a distant aunt.

Mrs Ike is a hair stylist and during my stay with her I doubled as her live-in-house help and helped at the salon. Although I barely knew how to make hair, I was her secretary. God help me if I stole her money. I am neither a thief nor do I have an inclination to steal from her, but she was a very suspicious person always obsessing about her money. My aunt has five sons and a husband who recently passed so all her time was spent in the salon. She practically lived there since her sons were either in university or could take care of themselves. Maduka her first son lived in the house with us.

My becoming the help at the Kumuyi’s residence started with a teasing conversation between my aunt and her most priced customer. Mrs Johnson was going on and on about how my aunt should send me to the university since all her children did attend one. Afterall, I was her niece.

“With which money, biko? I am a poor widower and have five mouths to feed, tuitions to pay. Maduka is getting married in December. I have five sons already I don’t need more abeg.”

“She is the daughter you never had nne, she even looks like you.”

“Nhu nhu, we are not dark coloured in my linage, no child of mine will lack the talent of hair making. She doesn’t even help me in the salon.” She finished tapping her thumb and middle finger to gesture an abomination.

“But she does fine as the secretary, you should send her to the university.” Mrs Johnson argued.

“See, I am just keeping her in the city until she finds herself a husband. God knows that will take a long time with this broad chested black girl.” She shook her head I pity with eyes raised up. I don’t hear the rest of their conversation because the telephone rang and I picked it to book a customer.

The following week Mrs Johnson gave me a JAMB scratch card she bought for me. I was ecstatic but that was short-lived since I failed that year because I didn’t prepare as I should have. She gave me the scratch card a month to the exam and seeing I never had an inclination to taking the exam that year. My aunt was all too happy to add to my chores. No sooner had she seen me with my books had she remembered an errand to be done.

Next I knew, I was shipped off to Abuja to work as a house-help in a resident Mrs Johnson picked for me. After the JAMB failure, I could do anything to leave my aunt anyways. According to Mrs Johnson I will work and school in Abuja. At the Kumuyi’s residence I cleaned the house, do laundry and assisted the cook. It was business as usual until last week when madam called all the staff and says that her son was coming home. I just hope am not cursed or something, JAMB is next Saturday and I do not need any distractions but madam seem to be uptight and critical about the homecoming of ‘Dele’.

READ THE FULL EBOOK ON OKADABOOKS https://okadabooks.com/user/Tiana-s_diary

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 9:52am On Jan 09, 2022
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shockedshocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Colours in your Lines is a beautiful collection of free verse, lyrics and narrative poetry having powerful themes of love and life lessons beautifully written to enchant the soul.

1 Like

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 9:00pm On Jan 10, 2022
Tiana06:
shocked shocked shocked

Colours in your Lines is a beautiful collection of free verse, lyrics and narrative poetry having powerful themes of love and life lessons beautifully written to enchant the soul.

GOD IS A WOMAN
Background
God, woman. It’s important I start with these two. I’m a God lover and a feminist personality. I promise you I’m not a fanatic.
God essence is feminine. Who can care that much, it’s scary and there is the jealousy too. My views will come to affirm this.

Poem
What started as a little indication,
Leads to a simple explanation –
You always smile when your sorrow shows.
Ungratefuls, yet we remain graceful.
Fenzy envy, what can I say?
Mama never leave nor neglect you.
No one has to know what we do:
Indescribable – It is the spell!
Standing in this nice dress.
Smiling in our softest.
No noise, only the sound of her young beauty.
Man is the image of God, a woman is His essence.
But in this case, she don’t need a microphone:
Her homeliness rings and echoes.

Poem Syntax
Line 1
It’s a universal truth, there is a being behind existence.
Line 2
The simplest explanation is often the correct one.
Line 3
God’s is merciful, No one religion portray their deity as unforgiving and unyielding.
Line 4
Man is this case, to God or a woman are strays. Backup line 3, our grace is sufficient.
Line 5
Such as the first commandment, “Thou shall love the Lord your God and only Him...”
Line 6
Mothers are goddess.
Line 7-11
God created Man to work His Eden, Eve was to dazzle. Moses and Isaiah felt His presence, he dazzles.
Line 12
Essence is defined as the core nature or most important qualities of a person or thing. An example of essence is what is captured of someone’s personality in a good photograph.
Line 13-14
Literally the genitals which distinguishes him from her. Or figuratively, the ego. Man is greater they say.

READ THE COMPLETE EBOOK COLLECTION OF MY POETRY ON OKADABOOKS https://okadabooks.com/user/Tiana-s_diary

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 5:44pm On Jan 12, 2022
Tiana06:
shocked shocked shocked

LIVING LIKE WE’RE GONE
Background
Hell damnation and brimstones. There’s a sect in Christiandom that fancy these sermon. I belong to one of those. Do I believe there is a hellfire, yes. I cannot say, football stars, women who wear padded bras, men who wear skin or skin fade haircuts are going to hell. I’m sorry that’s heretic. I remain silent where God’s word is. I’m a strong believer in living sane and right not fashion my lifestyle on doctrine.

Poem
Christians don’t believe there is need to consider what sinners think too.
They have forced the door of reasoning shut to make themselves feel good.
We are told not to care about the sneering, God forbid, think it through.
‘Who do men think I am?’ – our saviour was know to do.
Mighty Jesus didn’t ask so as to compromise or slow down.
When you cannot correct the slip of judgement, it affect you now.
But whom shall we hold responsible for the unanimous row?
How did the accusations and stigmas spring up? We want to know.
So beautiful are the soulwinners’ feets.
While our attitudes sow tares in the fields.
Things we do that make men's eye brow.
And the church not Christ has voted it so.
It’s obvious, you don’t care that you are the odd one.
But simple people won’t want to live like they’re gone.

Poem Syntax

Line 1-2
Constructive arguments end with, “that’s what my Bible says.”
Line 3
Earnestly contending for this doctrine. Not His Faith
Line 4-6
Jesus wanted a following, he ate with publicans, was anointed of an harlot, disobeyed fasting rites. Had he been all sanctimonious...
Line 7
Most people do not hear the salvation message because our attitude is sermon enough.
Line 8-10
Our attitude. Backup line 7,
Line 11
The things that sound sane to only us.

READ THE COMPLETE EBOOK COLLECTION OF MY POETRY ON OKADABOOKS https://okadabooks.com/user/Tiana-s_diary

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 1:34pm On Jan 15, 2022
Tiana06:

THE HELP

CHAPTER TWO

My first glimpse of Derele was a fortnight after he arrived. He did not arrive at his family home as his mother had anticipated but had gone to stay with his friend across town. I overheard from the staff that he was staying with his girlfriend. Obviously, the day he decided to grace the mansion with his appearance, the aura of the homecoming king was lost on everyone. I was coming in from tutorials and had briskly walked in through the kitchen door when I saw him.
He was of average height, from my vintage at the kitchen I can imagine we are of the same height. I am pretty tall and lean; maybe I should contemplate being a model. He is also slightly chubby, that chubby that is healthy and speaks of wealth not the offensive one. I cannot see his face well but he is in a dark suit and a brisk white shirt. Even though it was late afternoon, he looked like he had just dressed for the office. However, he did sound tired out and was definitely having a fight with madam. I could hear the tension in her voice too.
“There are rooms everywhere; this place is lonely for me and your father.”
“You have the live-in-helps, they should do for company.”
“Hmm, you are mean, mean Dele, you come around, you don’t see me and you are off staying with that no good girl. Is ‘that’ supposed to be your wife? She is no wife for this family, who can’t advise you to come greet or something.”
“She is not my fiancée Mother.” He barked back.
“Sure she isn’t. You are staying here and that is final. You can as well return to where you are coming from.” Madam slammed the door as she left the house. She was dressed and was obviously on her way out when Derele had come to the house. He also turned and our eyes clashed. I quickly retreated to the kitchen. I could swear he was coming to confront me for eavesdropping but he never came. I tip-toed back outside and re-entered the house through the rear entrance.
After that incidence, Mrs Kumuyi was oddly warm to me. She asked about my exam and even drove me to my exam venue that Saturday. I felt elated because we drove in her SUV that got everyone staring. When it was taking forever to get to my turn, she drove us to an eatery and bought lunch. Normally, I usually avoided her because she has this air of arrogance and build an aura of dignity around herself like someone who doesn’t mingle with the help. However, this was really a don’t judge a book by its cover scenario.
She even prepped me for the Computer-Based Test, “don’t wait too long on a question, do the easy ones first and come back for the tough ones.”
The exam finished no sooner as it started, what was important was I felt confident I would gain admission this year. So, I didn’t choose Nursing as I had ill-informed chosen last year seeing it is the most choice in Nigerian Universities. I opted for Economics in the University of Abuja. I felt secured too because Mrs Kumuyi was going to sponsor my education, Mrs Johnson ensured that in her condition for employment.

As we drove back home, Madam’s phone kept ringing but after checking the caller Id the first time, she ignored it and instead turned on the SUV stereo humming alongside the singer. Derele was at the porch when we got home. I busied myself with unloading the vehicle, hurriedly walked passed him and rushed a quick “Good evening sir.” He didn’t acknowledge me, not that I expected him to anyways. He had the same air of arrogance and an aura of dignity too. And he was wearing male cologne; one had to notice that and his striking face. The rich definitely know how to smell pretty and arrogant.
His mother ignored him too as she seemed busy dialing her phone.
“I have been calling mother, the housekeeper said you left with Maureen for her exam.”
“Go talk to your father okay,” still indifferent.
“Mother this is all your doing, am home already, I brought my stuff…” stepping in line with his mother.
She cuts him. “No you didn’t, you are just going to spend the weekend and fool me into unblocking your credit card.”
Really! What an irony of life. I would do anything for the fussing and attention while this son of hers does want nothing to do with her. Twisted, isn’t it?

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 10:34am On Jan 18, 2022
Tiana06:
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shockedshocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

THE BIG REFLECTION
Background
When we’re at a bad place, we tend to say some really weird stuff.
In 2019, we woke to the trending story of a Gospel Guitarist Jonathan Steingard denouncing God. I myself wrote this beautiful piece/stupid words at my low place. I cannot denounce God right, He always comes true. Fast forward to less than a year, today I am not depressed or excited to say ‘I do not believe in God.’ Hallelujah.

Poem
Righting all ill-wrongs,
Bad things like depression,
Let my life be what you write,
Inks of who you are:
No rampart you won’t kick down, ditch you won’t tier up.
Well only you can.
I say it, you hear me, but you are never hearing me.
We are wonderers, doing what they’re supposed to do.
Twenty-some years in the making,
Too late to be early.
“Keep looking for the worst in people, I guarantee You will make you find it.”
Remembering He’ll always be there for me:
This is when I quit!
I’m alive and life is living, You do the worrying.
When it’s your blank page.

Poem Syntax
Line 1
It’s very easy to pick at what went wrong, nobody takes note when something, a situation is just right.
Line 2
Depression and bad things are same sides of a coin. No matter how hard we try to feel unaffected in the event of sour occurrences, sooner or later depression sets it.
Lines 3 and 4
God, the universe, whatever we believe, there is a supreme being that dictates who we are. We will reverence this being according to His dealing with us.
Lines 5 and 6
We believe this supreme being is almighty and unquestionable.
Line 7
No one has that much luck, most prayers will remain unanswered, aired. Not because He is slow in hearing. All prayers don’t get answered, even well meaning prayers.
Line 8
The uncanny dedication of a devote. Many don’t understand cleaving to God in the turn of depression but believers find solace in their time of need; such irony accepting the inevitable in awe of a mighty being.
Lines 9 and 10
The symphony of time and opportunity. When these two aligns, we claim good success. Unfortunately time is never pinned down. Success at the expected time is rare.
Line 11
Blasphemy and hypocrisy, depends on which side of the fence you rep. A believer will accuse the critical thinker a blasphemer. The believer is an hypocrite to the thinker, why give allegiance to what isn’t at your beck and call especially when you ask so nicely. Well blasphemers will be preached hell and damnation.
Line 12
He hears. At the inevitable, our solace is that He hears. Backup line 7, “…I say it, you hear me but you are never hearing me.” Herein is the solace.
Lines 13 and 14
Backup line 2, “…Bad things like depression.” Blasphemers are more liable to be depressed. A believer in something supreme pushes every inevitable unsurmountable thing, situation to Him.
Line 15
Backup line 3, “…Let my life be what you write,” there is an underlying purpose that makes suffering sufferable and many come out of these situations unscarred, scarred but well compensated. Mostly.

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 9:42am On Jan 22, 2022
Tiana06:

THE HELP

CHAPTER THREE

Time flew fast. My admission was final in June, I was offered my course Economics and everything seems to regain normalcy around the house even Mr. Pretty-face was not left out. He checks in every week days and checks out every other weekend. I guess that arrangement works with madam and the new chef. The new cuisine however was for my own benefit though; Derele would seldom eat at the mansion, mainly for dinner when Mr Kumuyi was not on his trips. Whatever leftover of the chef’s intercontinental food was for my tasting and eventual salvaging and trust me most of the food were trashed. Sisimi would not eat them not after she tried once and purged throughout the night.

June 12, public holiday was on a Monday, everyone was home even Mr Kumuyi; which implied that Derele would make an appearance. I was assisting chef with the table-setting for dinner when Mr Kumuyi (Jr.) walked in face-timing on his I-phone. His correspondent on the other end was definitely the mysterious Miss Toke; I can hear the British drawl and her high laughs. Toke is a celebrity presenter on the television or so I gathered from the staff. I wasn’t home the day she came around. Sisimi could swear she recognizes her from TV and in that she was dressed and decked to befit a celebrity.
“Hey.” Did Derele just spoke to me? Normally, I am to greet my bosses first but am feeling pretty arrogant tonight. Anyways, he was supposed to be face-timing his girlfriend.
“Good evening sir.” I replied.
“What are you serving tonight madam?” He placed his I-phone on the dinner table.
I turned to see if he had hung up the video chat. “You should wait for the chef.” Seriously, is he checking me out? Not now when I am on my worst for wears and this funny looking cap am supposed to put on whenever am in the kitchen. It is not that I expect him to see me differently from the help I really was. I just felt I should not outrightly look like the help, not around this sure looking bloke.
So Mr and Mrs Kumuyi come in at this time. I hurriedly served appetizer and was hoping chef do the rest. I was going to escape to my side of the house when Mr kumuyi stopped me on my track.
“How is the school going Maureen?”
“Very well sir.” I replied politely.
“She was easily accepted for Economics. She studied very hard for the exam and she deserves the admission. In another four years you are looking at an Economist resurrecting Nigeria from her recession.” Madam said dramatically, finishing by nodding her head frantically.
“How is that supposed to work out, school and work?” That is Derele.
“It is called school and work darling, people do that all the time.” Madam returned enthusiastically.
“Really, do they? Garki to main campus, that is like on the same route.” Derele fired back goading his mother. Very good! Mother and son are at it again. I quietly excused myself before my job becomes a past tense.

Later that night, Miss Toke came over to the house, she spent the night. I know this because Tuesday morning as I was cleaning, I saw Derele snuffling around the guest room obviously in search of something. Then he approached me to get him aspirin from the pharmacy down the street. Did I say I am also the errand girl around here in my job description? Yes, I am. No sooner had I brought the drug to him though than he left for the office.
Miss Toke however came downstairs late morning. I guess she slept off her hangover because even though her perfume could not hide the liquor smell, she is definitely looking bright and beautiful. And she is the entire TV celebrity look, from the professional makeover to the human hair that reached to the back. Her skin colour made Monalisa Chinda’s skin look like a sham. She has to be a half-caste of some sort or that had to be a contact lens she is wearing, because her eyes colour was grey.
In all she was the female counterpart of Derele, she was not modeling tall or slim but she was all the same attractive and classy. Good for them, they complemented each other. So, why would he be checking me out just the other night when he had Miss Perfection? Maybe I was delusional and really wanted him to check me out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 5:07pm On Jan 22, 2022
Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 3:35pm On Jan 24, 2022
Tiana06:

MEET THE QUESTIONNAIRE FACE TO FACE
Background
I do not quite remember what influence this write up. But when you grow up with a pathological liar, a skimming fri-enemy. One of these days, you just pen something random.

Poem
Have you ever been in a situation where you’re in a fix?
And you need your next fix,
But God forbid it you come all out in the jinx –
“I am the culprit in this play of gimmicks.”

You just wanted to let it all out and make it formal.
Yet you won’t mind being non-ethical.
“What’s your take on the matter Veronica? –
A friend of mine did something abnormal.”

Your listener is the ultimate hunted.
Because you know you’re playing on her intelligence;
Either way, you are covered.
Unless she is as smart as I am and your smart ass is cornered –
Hypothetical becomes you.

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 8:50am On Jan 29, 2022
Tiana06:

THE HELP

CHAPTER FOUR

Derele checked me out today for real. I caught him and he didn’t flinch or something, he just kept staring. He is sipping tea at the dinning and I am descending the stairs. Anyways I am dressed for lectures in the early hours of Friday and I am wearing my sleeveless gown.

As I crossed the dinning to the kitchen after dropping my bag pack and sweater in the nearest settee, “don’t you think that sweater is a bit too thick for the afternoon?” Thanks, but no thanks; I was pretty cold yesterday morning when I wore a blouse without my sweater. Not that I’m going to explain that to him.

“You need a ride?” Thank God he is done at the dinning so I can do my thing.

“No, thank you.” I said to his back as he marched to the door baring his suitcase in stride.

After fifteen minute, I have salvaged his left over breakfast and managed to apply a quick makeup. I gathered my things, put on my sweater and I am outside only to see Derele beside his SUV.

“What took you so long, are you going for an audition or lectures?”

I don’t reply. It is obvious he is driving me to school and I should be grateful right? I entered the vehicle and he sped away.

We rode in silence until I could not cope with the air conditioning in the vehicle.

“Mr Kumuyi, could you turn off the AC?” I asked amidst shiver.

“Mr Kumuyi is my father Miss Maureen.” He used his right hand to turn off the AC and proceeded to wrap his hand around me. I shifted to my side of the vehicle.

“I am just going to keep you warm. You really need that not with that skinny body of yours.” He is checking me out again, from my two months old braids to my gown which stopped midriff; okay, that gown was supposed to be just above knee length when am not sitting, and back to my face. Just then a car hoots us and he is focusing on the road again.

“Now that makeup is pretty dumb and why is your lips all shiny? Is that the egg sauce from breakfast?” he finishes mockingly.

“Duh, last I checked, I am not Miss Toke. If you need an eye candy, she is your best bet and available as it is.” I replied rolling my eyes. He is shocked because he applies the brake outrightly. My sharp tongue has gotten the better part of me.

“No, Miss Toke is everyone’s eye candy. I will tell her to get you the right makeup things for your face if you really want to wear one; but I do like you natural. You should cover yourself too. That gown for one is way too short, sleeveless too. What were you thinking that when the sun comes up you can still have that sweater on?”

At this point am getting modesty advice from Derele, a guy whose girlfriend is a female version of a gigolo. Wait a minute, this is supposedly the advice an elder brother would give his little sister. Again I have outdone myself and misconstrue his interest.

To save face, I say “My cloth is short because that is the only size I could get from the run down store I visit and since it is a second hand gown, you don’t actually select your size rather your cloth is manipulated to your size.”

I waited for the comeback that never came; he is quiet like I never spoke. We rode the rest of the journey in silence. Then he dropped me off at the university gate. I sense him watch me cross the road before he drove off.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 8:37pm On Jan 31, 2022
Tiana06:

MEET THE QUESTIONNAIRE FACE TO FACE
Background
I do not quite remember what influence this write up. But when you grow up with a pathological liar, a skimming fri-enemy. One of these days, you just pen something random.

Poem
Have you ever been in a situation where you’re in a fix?
And you need your next fix,
But God forbid it you come all out in the jinx –
“I am the culprit in this play of gimmicks.”

You just wanted to let it all out and make it formal.
Yet you won’t mind being non-ethical.
“What’s your take on the matter Veronica? –
A friend of mine did something abnormal.”

Your listener is the ultimate hunted.
Because you know you’re playing on her intelligence;
Either way, you are covered.
Unless she is as smart as I am and your smart ass is cornered –
Hypothetical becomes you.

Poem Syntax

Line 1-4

Pathological liar
Some of the symptoms of a pathological liar are: they lie to gain something, they exaggerate things, they keep on changing their stories, and they live in a false sense of ‘reality. ‘
Line 5-8
Identify theft
Identity theft and identity fraud are terms used to refer to all types of crime in which someone wrongfully obtains and uses another person's personal data in some way that involves fraud or deception, typically for economic gain.
Line 9-13
Discerning
To be discerning is to be able to tell things apart—to separate them, even when they appear to be very similar. People who are discerning are able to make keen observations about things. A person with a discerning palate may be able to discern flavours that others cannot.

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 9:32pm On Feb 04, 2022
Tiana06:

THE HELP

CHAPTER FIVE

It is a week today since I drove to school in Derele’s SUV. You guessed right that I avoided him in the weekdays that followed the eventful Friday ride. Typical of him, he disappeared in the evening of that Friday for the weekend. I remember watching him from the window of my room as he loads his things into the boot of his sport car. Next I see him focusing his I-phone camera around him; then I know he is face-timing Miss Toke and she is having a tantrum as usual.

She is usually like that, wants to keep tabs on him like a watchdog. I can imagine her saying: “No, you aren’t in the mansion, in it? Lemme see the water fountain.” Or, “what car are you driving? I’m so picking the car you are riding in. Lemme see what you are wearing so I can choose the car that goes with it.” I just hope he knows what he is getting himself into; from frying pan to fire. If his mother is crowding him then his girlfriend is a circus.

Which begs the question where does that leave me? Maybe I am the watchdog. For instance, I know he leaves the house at 6:45 every morning for work. Course cleared, that is when I leave my room for breakfast before I go to the university. In the evenings, I don’t see him at all because I am either laundering or cleaning. This reminds me I have to get to the store for some air fresheners. Quickly, I changed from my work clothes to a leggings and my sweater using the hood to cover my hair. Okay, I finally loose my braids and since I couldn’t run a comb through it, I leave it to run wild.

The supermarket was quite busy; I squeeze my way to the household section and decided attempting a new fragrance of air freshener. So I am snuffling different sample and I sniff Derele’s cologne in the air. I am still reprimanding myself for being a pervert when someone removes my hood. I am on auto reflex to cover my unkempt hair as I turned to face what I dread, Derele.

“Good evening sir.”

“Hey! Are you hiding from someone?” He is looking down the aisle.

“Are you avoiding me?” I don’t know why I said that. I quickly retracted, “you leave before I leave my room in the mornings.”

“Really?” He makes a disbelieving all-knowing face.

I have to change the topic, “What are you doing here?”

He shrugged his shoulder indicating that the answer was obvious. I turned to continue snuffling the air fresheners; he too picked up some fragrance and we compared samples. I dissed him about his cologne and how it was a giveaway for his presence. He retaliated to say I always smell like detergent and he could pick my smell anywhere.

Later as we walked to the mansion, he asked, “What are you doing Saturday?”

“I am making my hair.”

“Good, can I come with you?” To my low cost salon, no freaking way. Then, “or you want me to take you; I know a place.”

“If you are paying, am going.”

“Very well then, don’t keep me waiting, 10am.” Works for me, the Kumuyi’s were going to this wedding ceremony.

We parted ways at the gate. I walked straight to the house while he went to the car port to speak with Aliyu, the driver washing the white SUV car Mr and Mrs Kumuyi were taking to the wedding.

Saturday morning, I picked my cloth carefully. After much scrutiny I settled for the same outfit I wore yesterday to the store. I would be able to cover my hair and at the same time it made me look like I didn’t make an effort seeing we are not on a date or something. And it definitely didn’t make me look like anyone’s little sister.

He is already beside his sport car when I got outside, the hood of the car down. He is wearing casual jeans and a different t-shirt from yesterday’s and also has on a sunglass. The very moment he sees me as I approach him, I knew because even though I don’t see his expression due to his sunglass, he shudders slightly. I quickly looked away.

He said, “now are you on time because you don’t have any shady makeup on.” I gave him the pleasure of making that pass.

In the car, I am pressing my phone because I am pretty nervous and I feel really emaciated in this classy car and beside Derele. Besides, am not supposed to be frolicking with the boss’ son. Am I? So we drove in silence until he parked in a salon. There was nothing special that happened because I go to the female section and he went to have a cut at the barber’s. Only that, my hair was done in forty-five minutes and that is a quarter of the time I would have used in my hair dresser’s place for the same hair style.

Another special thing happened on our ride back also. As we sipped the drink he brought from the salon bar, he says “am travelling tomorrow.”

And it all made sense. “Is that why you are around this weekend?” I pointed an accusing finger at him.

“What?”

“Why do you leave every weekend?” I said instead.

“Ooh someone misses me.” I just rolled my eyes. I gathered he was going to be travelling a lot and finally he would be occupying his father’s position in the company. He was going to Kenya for a summit and would probably return to the country the following week.

As we got to the mansion, I am releasing my seatbelt when he said; “wait, I paid for your hair how come I don’t get to see it.” I removed my hood and he takes a good look at me.

At some point on our drive back, the car hood is back and as he stared at me I was oddly warm despite the full blast AC. I was making a quick dash for the door as I looked at him to ask his permission to leave.

“Can I…” My voice came out coarse as a quick shiver ran through me.

He leaned in and kissed me full on the lip. A quick brush and he was done. As I recovered, I was on frantic mode as I look around me at the compound.

“The car is tinted.” He said as he brushed his hand on his imaginary hair. I made a dash for the door and practically walk-run to the house.

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 8:55pm On Feb 05, 2022
New cover eBook alert.

SPECIAL VALENTINE EBOOK RELEASE ON THE 13TH FEBRUARY 2022.

1 Share

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 7:44pm On Feb 07, 2022
Tiana06:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQXtMhjh3MY
Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by BettyRector(f): 12:10pm On Feb 09, 2022
Please! Help me to choose a polarized glass from here: cry
https://wahmconnectreviews.com/long-term-test-costa-polarized-glasses/
Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Bam17(f): 12:45pm On Feb 09, 2022
And no one's ever commented? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? What's wrong with Nairalanders. It's not like these works aren't great angry
Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Bam17(f): 12:46pm On Feb 09, 2022
I love your works, ma'am. Anticipating JUST US grin
Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 1:40pm On Feb 09, 2022
Bam17:
I love your works, ma'am. Anticipating JUST US grin

Thank you @Bam17

You can support my work by reading copies of my eBooks on the okadabooks platform.

1 Like

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Bam17(f): 1:43pm On Feb 09, 2022
Tiana06:

Thank you @Bam17

You can support my work by reading copies of my eBooks on the okadabooks platform.

Okay, ma'am wink
Oh, and you can also check mine. You'd love them, I bet kiss
Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 5:44pm On Feb 09, 2022
Bam17:

Okay, ma'am wink
Oh, and you can also check mine. You'd love them, I bet kiss

I already did, are you published too, I will like to read full copies though.
Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 1:41pm On Feb 11, 2022
Tiana06:

THE HELP

CHAPTER SIX

Once inside my room, I made a quick one to the mirror. I was curious to see what Derele saw in me to make him kiss me. For the life of me I could not grasp why someone like him can be into someone like me. I stare back at myself at the mirror and could not recognize who I saw. When did I transform into this smashing figure staring back at me? Where was the lanky broad-chested girl? She was now replaced with a tall model shaped exquisite beauty. Her dark skin was toned to a chocolate complexion. Her face had a new maturity and glow to it. It had to be the hair because I was really looking slaying. No wonder Derele was lost.
I absently traced my lips remembering the kiss. I don’t know if I am to feel happy or scared; this is all too new to me and forbidden. Or how do a nineteen year old deal with a man in his mid twenties? I haven’t stopped shivering since I entered the room. All afternoon and later that evening I avoided the sitting room and the compound all together peradventure I had to come across Derele.

Derele’s flight was in the morning of the next day and being his first business trip, Madam and her husband were up early to see him off which implied everyone was to be up and doing. I was to serve breakfast at table. Derele looks restless and distracted with dark circles around his eyes. That makes the two of us because I could not get any sleep until the early hours of the morning. I remember tossing and turning ruminating on our shared kiss.
After breakfast, we all went outside to bid him goodbye. Madam was all mushy-mushy on him.
“Dele dear, you make sure you call your dad and me every day to brief us on happenings. Now don’t be like your father who is carried away when he is on those marathon indoor meetings and forgets he has a family back home.”
I just wish I had a minute with him to assure him I would be waiting for him, that I love him too and would miss him dearly. His mother hugged him tightly and I wished that was me. He proceeded to hug his father; Sisimi was at the porch with chef while I assisted the driver with his baggage. He waved at the two in the porch and when I least expected it turned and gave me a hug. It must have looked harmless to the others looking on but Derele and I both know it for what it was. It was an assurance, an unspoken promise of a beautiful beginning we ourselves couldn’t define. I know I would miss him dearly and that our hug would keep me till he returns from Kenya.

The new week was a drag; everyone knew the house was incomplete without Derele in it. Apart from Chef and Sisimi’s drama, there was nothing eventful around the house. Madam finally allowed Sisimi cook her local delicacies in the evenings; obviously Mr Kumuyi favoured her cooking and chef was not happy about the turn of event. It was literally a struggle for power between the two of them.
In the nights I would toss and turn thinking of Derele and how much longer before we reunite; also about the hug and kiss. In the day, I would daydream even get lost during classes and that was if I had not fallen asleep during such a class. The late nights and daydreaming was tasking. My time spent laundering and cleaning in the evenings also doubled as I would often get lost in my thoughts in the confines of the laundry room and completely lose track of time.
I was just all too happy one bright afternoon when I got back from the university and chef happily tells me Derele is back. This is his official claim to the kitchen seeing the intercontinental cuisine fan is back; hmmm, different stroke for different folks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by DebbieSylvex(f): 8:19pm On Feb 12, 2022
nice story u gat here wink

1 Like

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 5:51pm On Feb 13, 2022
DebbieSylvex:
nice story u gat here wink

Thanks. Read the concluding chapters on https://okadabooks.com/user/Tiana-s_diary
Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 8:09pm On Mar 26, 2022
To all mothers, we say thank you grin

Re: 50 Percent Mine (by Tiana Oluwaseun) by Tiana06(f): 10:13am On Apr 23, 2022
I didn't forget to say Happy Easter. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWKurkaL8sU

(1) (Reply)

African Online Magazine / My Anthology / This Would Be The Last!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.