Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,352 members, 7,819,253 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures (4673 Views)

Amina Amal Sues Hadiza Gabon For Beating Her Over Lesbianism Accusation / Hadiza Gabon Beats Amina Amal Over Lesbianism Accusation. Photos / Meet Hadiza Gabon, Most Beautiful Actress In Kannywood (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by newswires: 7:55pm On Jan 08, 2022
Rare Photo of Bob Marley When He Stepped Foot in Kenya

A fervent and unapologetic Pan-Africanist, Bob Marley strongly believed in the unity of African people and his beliefs on Pan-Africanism were rooted in his Rastafari religious beliefs.

“Black people are suffering all over the earth and when you check it you know that black people must unite”. Bob Marley was quoted saying in BBC article, Marley’s legend.

In 1978, he visited Kenya and Ethiopia but it was in Gabon where his love for Africa manifested itself physically.

In January 1980, at the age of 34, Bob visited Gabon and later the same year he flew to Zimbabwe where he not only played at independence celebrations of Zimbabwe from British colonial and white minority rule but also specially composed a song for Zimbabwe’s freedom.

Bob Marley would have been 75 years old today. Here is a rare photo of him in Kenya , he stopped by en-route to performing at Zimbabwe's independence celebrations.

Bob Marleys son. Darmian Marley has also visited and performed in Kenya while President Uhuru Kenya also visited Jamaica in 2019 and attended their independence celebrations. The head of state had the privilage of meeting Bob Marley's widow Rita Marley.
#BobMarleyAt75 #TBT #Trending #Music

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bob+marley+visit+to+kenya&ei=_tzZYdT_COSIjLsP5_y40Ak&oq=bob+marley+visit+&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjoHCAAQRxCwAzoCCCk6BQghEKABOgUILhCABDoICAAQgAQQsQM6BQgAEJECOgUILhCRAjoHCAAQgAQQCjoECAAQDToGCAAQDRAeOggIABANEAUQHkoECEEYAFCmBljyKGDqS2gBcAF4AYABsQKIAeEbkgEIMC41LjEwLjGYAQCgAQHIAQTAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

1 Like

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by helinues: 7:56pm On Jan 08, 2022
Nigerians are not lover of reggae music from onset... That's why we have very few Artist doing reggae in Nigeria.

Back in the days, there was misconceptions about reggae music, average Nigerians believed you must be a weed smoker to like reggae

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by aribisala0(m): 8:00pm On Jan 08, 2022
helinues:
Nigerians are not lover of reggae music from onset... That's why we have very few Artist doing reggae in Nigeria
That is not why he did not visit ?

Other Reggae artistes of his generation visited

Peter Tosh came.
Bob Marley died very young maybe if he lived longer he would have who knows

Reggae Artistes then tended to identify with Ethiopia
Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by newswires: 8:00pm On Jan 08, 2022
helinues:
Nigerians are not lover of reggae music from onset... That's why we have very few Artist doing reggae in Nigeria

It is true. As at the time Bob was alive there was nothing like 9ja song. It was just highlife music. Why was Bob not interested in coming to the largest black nation on earth?
Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by newswires: 8:02pm On Jan 08, 2022
Bob Marley in Gabon

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by dasparrow: 8:02pm On Jan 08, 2022
Why are you asking us? Why don't you go to Bob Marley's grave and ask him why he did not come to Nigeria? Perhaps you should also ask Bob Marley why he didn't make it to the Gambia, Senegal, Mali, Togo, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania, Central African Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Malawi, Niger, Sudan, Rwanda and many other African countries. Some of you just wake up and create threads that make no sense. Go find work do!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by helinues: 8:04pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:
That is not why he did not visit ?

Other Reggae artistes of his generation visited

Peter Tosh came.
Bob Marley died very young maybe if he lived longer he would have who knows

Reggae Artistes then tended to identify with Ethiopia

I understand but generally, Nigerians did not really like reggae music in the past. Just few are played on radio station.

Same can't be said about Ghana, Kenya, South Africa... Reggae in Ghana was played regularly back in the days that reasonable numbers of Ghanaians are reggae lovers. Whenever I am in Ghana, I don't miss Wednesday Labadi reggae's night beside beach... Omo!! grin
Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by juman(m): 8:10pm On Jan 08, 2022
Apart from African China I cant remember of any other reggae musicians in nigeria presently.
Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by aribisala0(m): 8:13pm On Jan 08, 2022
helinues:

I understand but generally, Nigerians did not really like reggae music in the past. Just few are played on radio station.

Same can't be said about Ghana, Kenya, South Africa... Reggae in Ghana was played regularly back in the days that reasonable numbers of Ghanaians are reggae lovers. Whenever I am in Ghana, I don't miss Wednesday Labadi reggae's night beside beach... Omo!! grin
That is not true We listened to a lot of Bob Marley, Gregory Isaacs Peter Tosh, Yellow Man , Don Carlos, UB40 and even had home grown Reggae artistes
many artistes from abroad used to come and play at shows
We had shows like Reggae Sunsplash

2 Likes

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by helinues: 8:16pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:

That is not true We listened to a lot of Bob Marley, Gregory Isaacs Peter Tosh, Yellow Man , Don Carlos, UB40 and eben had home grown Reggae artistes

I have been to all those listed countries and I know for sure they love reggae music far more than Nigeria. Meaning it has roots there not like Nigeria.

I am not saying their are no lover of reggae music in Nigeria back in the days oo, but they are very few. Hardly you will hear reggae music on radio stations back then, it's majorly from 60's to recent R&B music
Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:

That is not true We listened to a lot of Bob Marley, Gregory Isaacs Peter Tosh, Yellow Man , Don Carlos, UB40 and eben had home grown Reggae artistes
many artistes from abroad used to come and play at shows
We had shows like Reggae Sunsplash

You Dey mind the kid...

Late 80’s and early 90’s was reggae .. even from mid 80’s

Na to come on Nairaland Dey form knowledge were ignorant abound.

Imagine saying Nigeria don’t listen to raggae .. Na Olamide and wiskid inspire ras kimono fashek and others

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jan 08, 2022
helinues:

I have been to all those listed countries and I know for sure they love reggae music far more than Nigeria. Meaning it has roots there not like Nigeria.

I am not saying their are no lover of reggae music in Nigeria back in the days oo, but they are very few. Hardly you will hear reggae music on radio stations back then, it's majorly from 60's to recent R&B music

Bros your second paragraph Na ignorance.. you don’t know you don’t know, full stop.

4 Likes

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by helinues: 8:24pm On Jan 08, 2022
Asgard63:

Bros your second paragraph Na ignorance.. you don’t know you don’t know, full stop.

Why not clear my Ignorance and tell us how popular reggae was in Nigeria back in the days.

Eish

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by aribisala0(m): 8:25pm On Jan 08, 2022
helinues:

Going to all those countres is just tangential

In the 70s and 80s Nigeria was the place to make money and many Reggae festivals happened in Nigeria almost every year after Festac

Nigerians loved reggae in those days

anyone old enough would remember. Yellow man

I am not a huge fan of the debating style that goes by
I have been to thiis and that. let us leave that
What I am saying is in the 70s we were listening to Reggae A LOT

and many of them had shows or festivals in Nigeria and even FESTAC
In the 90s this died out but at the time of Marley he was very popular in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 08, 2022
helinues:

Why not clear my Ignorance and tell us how popular reggae was in Nigeria back in the days.

Eish

They don’t argue or teach Yoruba being like you.. they know all.

Adashu.

1 Like

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by aribisala0(m): 8:28pm On Jan 08, 2022
helinues:

Eish
If you are old enough to remember LP records you would know.

Many of Bob Marley's contemporaries came to Nigeria

In those days Naira was stronger than the dollar and many were cashing out
Murray Bruce brought loads of people to Nigeria in those days

2 Likes

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 08, 2022
aribisala0:
Going to all those countres is just tangential

In the 70s and 80s Nigeria was the place to make money and many Reggae festivals happened in Nigeria almost every year after Festac

Nigerians loved reggae in those days

anyone old enough would remember. Yellow man

I am not a huge fan of the debating style that goes by
I have been to thiis and that. let us leave that
What I am saying is in the 70s we were listening to Reggae A LOT

and many of them had shows or festivals in Nigeria and even FESTAC
In the 90s this died out but at the time of Marley he was very popular in Nigeria

You tried.. but honestly you just wasted your energy on that guy.
Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by aribisala0(m): 8:32pm On Jan 08, 2022
Long before any Nigerians started rapping we had Reggae artistes . That is how popular the genre was back then
Ras Kimono
Daddy Showkey
Majek fashek and many others

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by helinues: 8:33pm On Jan 08, 2022
Asgard63:

Adashu.

Just imagine this guy. He still find a way of injecting Yoruba into this .

Opposing my comments for opposing sake while he has no answer about what he questioned others for.

This is really a sorry case

2 Likes

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by aribisala0(m): 8:33pm On Jan 08, 2022
Asgard63:

You tried.. but honestly you just wasted your energy on that guy.
It s not only for his benefit
Unchallenged falsehood quickly becomes truth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by Sammy07: 8:38pm On Jan 08, 2022
Asgard63:

Adashu.

He said you should clear his ignorance buh you're here submitting trash.

Why won't Nigeria produce bad leaders.

People like you will be in power when demanded for accountability, you'll be telling them to come and do it if it's easy. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by helinues: 8:40pm On Jan 08, 2022
Sammy07:

He said you should clear his ignorance buh you're here submitting trash.

Why won't Nigeria produce bad leaders.

People like you will be in power when demanded for accountability, you'll be telling them to come and do it if it's easy. undecided

That guy na minus. He's fixated about Yoruba's reason he hardly make a comment without mentioning us

1 Like

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by ba7man(m): 8:40pm On Jan 08, 2022
Asgard63:

Adashu.
Yoruba people own your brain. cool

2 Likes

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by aribisala0(m): 8:42pm On Jan 08, 2022
Asgard63:

You Dey mind the kid...

Late 80’s and early 90’s was reggae .. even from mid 80’s

Na to come on Nairaland Dey form knowledge were ignorant abound.

Imagine saying Nigeria don’t listen to raggae .. Na Olamide and wiskid inspire ras kimono fashek and others
let me reminisce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuU_a7suHgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PqA0ekm1R8

1 Like

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by Sammy07: 8:46pm On Jan 08, 2022
helinues:

That guy na minus. He's fixated about Yoruba's reason he hardly make a comment without mentioning us

No mind him.
Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by MufasaLion: 8:49pm On Jan 08, 2022
None of my business. Play me some Trap.
Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by paramakina202: 8:50pm On Jan 08, 2022
helinues:
Nigerians are not lover of reggae music from onset... That's why we have very few Artist doing reggae in Nigeria.

Back in the days, there was misconceptions about reggae music, average Nigerians believed you must be a weed smoker to like reggae

That is not true,Peter Tosh visited Nigeria twice.
Regae music was very popular in Nigeria in 80s and early 90s.

4 Likes

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jan 08, 2022
helinues:

Just imagine this guy. He still find a way of injecting Yoruba into this .

Opposing my comments for opposing sake while he has no answer about what he questioned others for.

This is really a sorry case

Be calming down.. Atimes putting you guys through on something always end with insults..i prefer to avoid it.

Easy.....

1 Like

Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by basty: 9:43pm On Jan 08, 2022
dasparrow:
Why are you asking us? Why don't you go to Bob Marley's grave and ask him why he did not come to Nigeria? Perhaps you should also ask Bob Marley why he didn't make it to the Gambia, Senegal, Mali, Togo, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania, Central African Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Malawi, Niger, Sudan, Rwanda and many other African countries. Some of you just wake up and create threads that make no sense. Go find work do!

Weed man, I can see you from afar.
Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by basty: 9:46pm On Jan 08, 2022
ba7man:
Yoruba people own your brain. cool
Re: Bob Marley Visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Gabon, SA But Never Nigeria, Why? Pictures by agadez007(m): 9:53pm On Jan 08, 2022
Who is that saying that reggae isn’t popular in Nigeria,I don’t know about other regions but in south east reggae was the shit and Akwa ibom folks love reggae too,my mum still play Eric Donaldson till date

Btw Eric Donaldson recorded one of his songs in Nigeria Titled Where Are We Going To Hide

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alicia Keys And Whitney Houston Looking Stunning At Keep A Child Alive Gala / Hermione Granger Of 'harry Potter' ,emma Watson's Fashion Dress / Drake's Bodyguards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.