Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,178 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! (5942 Views)

How Much Will Benz C180 Cost Me In Getting It From A Dealer In Here In Lagos / OEM Or Aftermarket Or Tokunbo - When To Buy Which? / Man Destroys Maserati Because He Was Angry With Dealer (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by chelseabmw(m): 2:25pm On Jun 20, 2011
I just hope lots of buyers see this thread
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by laidback(m): 2:26pm On Jun 20, 2011
Hi Emperor,

Your piece was very informative and encouraging, though I've managed to gather almost as much myself, in my over 1 month of researching pre-owned vehicles from the U.S., on the web. I now understand the value of and the difference between certified, non-certified, etc etc.

The thing with Nigerians is like you mentioned, they actually 'feel smart' buying the cheapest kind of pre-owned vehicles no matter the downsides. But I'm quite different in the way I go about my purchases-if I cant afford stuff of really high quality (when quality matters), I just wait till I have saved enough for it. Simple.

Be that as it may, I've found the highest quality types out there (1 owner CPO with carfax), to be quite expensive, if not over-priced. But thats what I'm still interested in. Like we say in Nigeria, 'make person close eye do am'. I'm also aware of the NVCP (National Vehicle Certification Program) which is even more thorough than CARFAX. What are your thoughts on this?

So my money is not complete yet, as I'm thinking of a 2007 Honda Accord EX full options (if possible with Nav-I know this option makes it even more expensive). Hopefully by November/December though, one should be ready by the grace of God. What I would like to know, is if you can assist in making this purchase, being a car dealer yourself. I'm actually resident in Nigeria at the moment, and I may have an opportunity to visit the U.S. before the year runs out. But in case i can't make it, can you process the purchase if I find the car myself over the internet? I believe this is your turf. Thanks.

My email: my_regularjob@yahoo.com

Cc: BIZBOOKS
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by cretin: 4:04pm On Jun 20, 2011
nice thread.

i run vin checks for people on nairaland, n most of the vin reports usually are salvaged/junk title cars.
the few clean vin reports i hv come across occured when the buyer bought the car himself from the US.

THIS THREAD WILL EDUCATE PEEPS, WHO ALWAYS RUN AFTER THE CHEAPEST CARS/DEALS ON NAIRALAND,
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by metrixauto: 4:17pm On Jun 20, 2011
This is a very good informative and educative write up ,kudos to you emperor,honestly these are the things many nigerian buyers dont know,all they want to knw is the price not minding the cosmetic that was used to placate all the damaged body in and out,basically Metrix autos buy clean titled only on Mainheim through our wholesales dealer Metropolitan Auto Wholesales in Maryland and Pennyslvania,the cars are not cheap as you said but give us a pece of mind for any car we sell to our customers,though we make smaller gains wen you look at what is obtainable in the selling salvaged cars .Nigerian should know thats Goods things dont come cheap.
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by Emperoh(m): 9:43pm On Jun 20, 2011
laidback:

So my money is not complete yet, as I'm thinking of a 2007 Honda Accord EX full options (if possible with Nav-I know this option makes it even more expensive). Hopefully by November/December though, one should be ready by the grace of God. What I would like to know, is if you can assist in making this purchase, being a car dealer yourself. I'm actually resident in Nigeria at the moment, and I may have an opportunity to visit the U.S. before the year runs out. But in case i can't make it, can you process the purchase if I find the car myself over the internet? I believe this is your turf. Thanks.

My email: my_regularjob@yahoo.com

Cc: BIZBOOKS

Thanks for your contribution. I have to admit i have never heard of the NFCV until now and after going thru their site,
i think something is about to upstage carfax and autocheck eventhough their businesses look different. But what i haven't read or understood is their process plan. Who is willing to go thru all that before he buys a car when carfax has given you all u need.

As for the highlighted, it is like asking a dog if he will bite when provoked.
I am ever willing and always here to do what i love best. Buying cars!!
One point to correct, i don't know if you are aware but i am in Lagos Nigeria and not USA as you post intends to suggest. But my location has never stalled any of transactions!!

Hope to hear more from you. Contacts are in my siggy!!
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by shawonlese: 10:51pm On Jun 20, 2011
Informative
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by laidback(m): 11:38pm On Jun 20, 2011
One point to correct, i don't know if you are aware but i am in Lagos Nigeria and not USA as you post intends to suggest.

Really? You mentioned taking them to body shops in the U.S. that's why i thought you were there. Ok no qualms. expect to hear from me though. cheers.
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by sonofsun: 3:14am On Jun 21, 2011
Mad props on this thread Emperoh cool, I'm in the business and bn actually contemplating on stop dealing with nigerian buyers, because most are very unrealistic/uneducated about the way the car buying process works, nothing good comes cheap my people, you get what you give, I agree option 2 makes the most sense for nigerian buyers,
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by Emperoh(m): 12:03pm On Jun 21, 2011
laidback:

Really? You mentioned taking them to body shops in the U.S. that's why i thought you were there. Ok no qualms. expect to hear from me though. cheers.

lol!!! U pay for these services. No one in USA will leave his job to do these runnings for you without being paid
So i kinda budget the expenses of the person doing the legwork. Keep up with body shop guys, order the parts to be fitted and be sure everything is spot in before shipping is booked. So any which way, we get the job done. Whether in Nigeria of USA!!
cool cool
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by sultaan(m): 4:11am On Jun 28, 2011
Recently, the value of used cars has gone up, because the main source of used cars; lease programs that was discontinued in 2008 has resulted in a very competitive used car market. It now make more sense to buy a new car than a year old one.

Some cars from Mississippi flooding will be salvaged back into the market.

Heads-up used cars will be very expensive for the next 2 years.
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by 735i(m): 2:05pm On Jun 28, 2011
Ah! This is quite educative. i see all the gurus are here so i'm not even fit to comment.

Howeva theres somthing u guys may be able to help me with: I pre ordered an '04 EOD thru a friend since March and i'm yet to get it. My main problem howeva is checking up the history on CARFAX. The chap gave me a VIN but i can't do CARFAX cos for some reasons it rejects my credit card.

Could anybody help here please. I would not mind paying for it.
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by sonofsun: 4:19pm On Jun 28, 2011
735 i:

Ah! This is quite educative. i see all the gurus are here so i'm not even fit to comment.

Howeva theres somthing u guys may be able to help me with: I pre ordered an '04 EOD thru a friend since March and i'm yet to get it. My main problem howeva is checking up the history on CARFAX. The chap gave me a VIN but i can't do CARFAX cos for some reasons it rejects my credit card.

Could anybody help here please. I would not mind paying for it.

What's the vin of the car?
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by 735i(m): 6:25pm On Jun 28, 2011
1HGCM56683A802127

would u be kind enuf to assist smiley
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by Osama10(m): 6:42pm On Jun 28, 2011
Very informative thread. cool
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by sonofsun: 7:48pm On Jun 28, 2011
735 i:

1HGCM56683A802127

would u be kind enuf to assist smiley

https://www.autocheck.com/consumers/creditCardAction.do?multiButton.y=-1891866518&multiButton.x=1219062421&siteID=0&vin=1HGCM56683A802127&sslRedirect=noRedirect

all you need to do is to pay with your card to see the full report
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by Emperoh(m): 10:28pm On Jun 28, 2011
glad to see this is being of help to people!!

735i
I seldom use carfax but i trust the autocheck link will work for you.
What is your contact saying on getting your car? It's three months already which is enough time for even an accidented car fixed in USA to come in. So ask the hard questions!
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by Joebo(m): 11:17am On Jan 16, 2012
I stumbled on this thread and wondered how I missed it initially, giving how much I crawl NL's Auto section. This is a well written piece and with the gurus contributions; well enlightening. In the end; IMHO; I think the dealer and buyer should be well informed and opened as to what they want giving their budget and expectations.
Thanks Emperoh and all contributors.
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by sultaan(m): 10:40pm On Jan 17, 2012
The so called pre-order(God knows there is no such word) gives the buyer a chance to pick what they desire(color,trim, mileage) from the more regulated US market.Its like buying from a dealer in US. But dealers to source from the Auction, only difference is they have a reputation to protect so you either sell cars or junks(nobody make money selling junks)

From what I have seen with Auction cars, there is a surcharge of ~$3000 that has to be added to the final price of any car.

So for a dealer to get a car valued ~N1m he will buy a $3000 car, and that will only get you a high mileage Japanese car or fix/patch a salvage.

If I buy a high mileage car within that budget I know most will not want a Honda/Toyota with 170+k miles for a mil, so I have to fix the odometer to 'fit' within market prices.

A good reliable car in the US starts from $8k.

How many buyers are looking for a $11k car.

Nigerians are not the only ones who want Japanese cars, so sometimes its good to look for clones.e.g Pontiac vibe is same as toyota matrix.

A Lexus 300 might be cheaper than V6 Camry. Geo metro is Corolla etc
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by Emperoh(m): 3:17pm On Jan 21, 2012
Nice contributions Sultaan
Will be back with more insights
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by osusu(m): 12:52pm On Mar 03, 2016
@emeperoh been going tru ur posts on nairaland for a long time but just. Registered lately, u still in d car biz?
We gotta talk man
Re: Pre-order Or Nigerian Buy; Which Is Better? A Dealer's Insight! by osusu(m): 12:52pm On Mar 03, 2016
@emperoh been going tru ur posts on nairaland for a long time but just. Registered lately, u still in d car biz?
We gotta talk man

(1) (2) (Reply)

Importing New Original Spare Parts To Nigeria / My Car Has A High Idle Rpm / Nissan To Recall Over 17,000 Units Of Infiniti QX30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.