Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,550 members, 7,837,109 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant (5349 Views)

Dangote, 6 Foreign Coys To Begin Gold, Coal Mining / FG Commissions Nigeria’s First Solar/Wind Power Plant / FG, China To Fund $5bn Mambilla Power Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by aljharem3: 12:36am On Jun 18, 2011
By Tony Edike
ENUGU— THE Enugu State governmenthas signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with an Indian Power Company, ESSAR Group for the construction of a Coal Power Plant capable of producing 600 Megawatts (MW) of power.

Governor Sullivan Chime who signed the document in Abuja on behalf of the state Government said the MOU was the climax of extensive research, consultations and negotiations between the state government and ESSAR Group adding that the project will give birth to a new dispensation of advancement in the state.

He disclosed that the plant to be sited in Enuguwould use coal sourced from mines in the state to generate power, stressing that it would help in no small measure to alleviate the sufferings of the people occasioned by poor power supply.

The governor further expressed confidence that ESSAR Groupwas well-equipped to perform its obligations under the MOU, adding that the partnership between the company and the state government was bound to yield the expected returnsfor both parties.

Responding, the leader of the ESSAR Group delegation, Mr. Ranjit Matharoo commended the state government for its vision in accepting the proposal to establish the plant saying that it would further encourage private foreign investment in the state.

Matharoo who is the Vice President (Business Development) of ESSAR Group assured the Governor that the company had requisite experience in the development and operation of coal based power plants,adding that it had been running similar operations in many other countries.

He observed that the state stood to reap tremendously from the surge in business and commercial activities that significant improvement in power supply was bound to trigger, stressing that the abundant supply of coal available in the state would ensure that the plant’s continued operation for many years.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/enugu-to-build-coal-based-power-plant/
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by aljharem3: 12:38am On Jun 18, 2011
good development
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by AndreUweh(m): 12:39am On Jun 18, 2011
alj_harem:

good development
seconded.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by aloyemeka1: 12:40am On Jun 18, 2011
In 21st century?. When the world is striving towards reducing carbon emission that clearly harm our ozone layer. Can't Igbo people come up with one common GREEN plant for generating energy?.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by aljharem3: 12:42am On Jun 18, 2011
aloy/emeka:

In 21st century?. When the world is striving towards reducing carbon emission that clearly harm our ozone layer. Can't Igbo people come up with one common GREEN plant for generating energy?.

they cant afford it yet, nigeria is not a first world country
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by aloyemeka1: 12:46am On Jun 18, 2011
alj_harem:

they cant afford it yet, nigeria is not a first world country

What is Nigeria waiting for?. Are they gonna remain a 4th world country behind Chad for the rest of their existence?.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by adejoro75: 12:58am On Jun 18, 2011
Emeka, Coal generates at least 54 % of US electricity, what is Enugu?
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by aljharem3: 1:00am On Jun 18, 2011
aloy/emeka:

What is Nigeria waiting for?. Are they gonna remain a 4th world country behind Chad for the rest of their existence?.

my answer

adejoro75:

Emeka, Coal generates at least 54 % of US electricity, what is Enugu?

gbammm
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by efisher(m): 4:13am On Jun 18, 2011
Bravo. This is what I've been waiting for.

China and USA (The world's largest economies) derive a huge amount of their power from coal. China still builds new coal plants to this day. They can be made to burn cleaner with new technology. Besides, Nigeria still has room for more carbon emissions even as we work to reduce gas flaring.

I hope the project will be executed smartly and swiftly. With what is happening in Enugu, Nigeria's industrial revolution may be just around the corner.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by ektbear: 7:20am On Jun 18, 2011
Excellent move. Coal is a very cheap energy source. I wonder what the timeline looks like for this project.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by efisher(m): 7:28am On Jun 18, 2011
I would love to have a situation where governors will compete healthily in terms of executing development projects. Eg Fashola vs Chime competing for who develops his state faster or who is the first governor to achieve 100% power etc. Not who has more ministers in the cabinet or who is producing the senate president. Such healthy competition is good motivation for governors to perform.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by Nobody: 7:39am On Jun 18, 2011
really nice move! that state is really moving! very cool! unlike other nigeria cities once development comes there people will flood there as pigs making it ungovernable!
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by foward1212(m): 7:40am On Jun 18, 2011
Yes i really do look foward to a time when not just governors, but politicians would compete favourabily, within the limits of the resources that is made available for them, from time to time they are evaluated, to know how well they have fared.

Everyone is praising Fasola, we can have a lot of politicians like him.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by Rich4god(m): 7:44am On Jun 18, 2011
aloy/emeka:

e b lyk say craze dey wory u(sori 4 been 2 harsh). It is people like you that are very very very backward and illiterate. Tell which of the 1st class country(ies) that does not rely heavily on fossil fuel as a source of power production. I know you will open your mouth to shout NUCLEAR POWER (which is not environmental friendly, cos of safety concern) or is it solar/wind that is mainly meant for minor power consumption or is it HYDRO that tends to be seasonal. The only concern here (on my own opinion) the dangers involved in coal mining and not the emision of CO2, cos am sure current technology will tackle it.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by oismail(m): 7:44am On Jun 18, 2011
It will be a good development and will enhance the fast development there in enugu.
Indians are creature of stupid mind. They've got talent and resourses but they capitilise on our wickness. I hate indians so much dat i can't recommend them for any state.
If development must come and the only suitor is the indian, I have no problem. But the state govt should give dem conditions on how they should operate and deal will their staff welfarism.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by ektbear: 7:48am On Jun 18, 2011
Aloy/Emeka: Most of these "green" technologies are more expensive. I've never liked how the US and Europe have spent the past 200 years polluting earth, then it is only when the 3rd world (China, Africa, etc) want to start industrializing too that they are pushing to go green.

Let the US and Europe go green. Me, I'll go green in 200 years once I've done my own fair share of polluting (I'm exaggerating a bit, but hopefully you get the point.)
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by efisher(m): 7:56am On Jun 18, 2011
Actually, Only the OECD / developed countries have strong obligation to cut emissions for now. The developing countries have a net positive carbon allowance. This means that we have the right to release more emissions. China, India and other developing economies also have the right. Europe has unknowingly transferred a lot of wealth to China, Africa etc via the carbon market. What happens is that European companies go to the developing countries to buy carbon credit or execute green projects. With that, they can release more carbon at home. Now they are realizing the tough position they have placed themselves and are not happy China is gaining a lot from what they created. It's a whole new market but the summary is that we have not even started emitting the amount of CO2 that a developed, green, Nigeria should be emitting!
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by emekagh(m): 8:02am On Jun 18, 2011
Nice development, but like ekt_bear had asked, I wonder what the time frame would be like.
2 years, 3, or 4? The longer it takes, the more likely progress will be overtaken by politics.

Nevertheless, I have a lot of confidence in that Chime guy, he is quietly doing wonders in Enugu. Thumps up!
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by Mynd44: 8:08am On Jun 18, 2011
Nice move
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by Nobody: 8:15am On Jun 18, 2011
emeka_gh:

Nice development, but like ekt_bear had asked, I wonder what the time frame would be like.
2 years, 3, or 4? The longer it takes, the more likely progress will be overtaken by politics.

Nevertheless, I have a lot of confidence in that Chime guy, he is quietly doing wonders in Enugu. Thumps up!
hey ghana boy.one guy here just tell me that they wan commot naija boys wey dey ghana angry. na true?
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by edoyad(m): 8:18am On Jun 18, 2011
this sullivan versus.fashola.race.is.becoming.more.interesting.everyday.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by emekagh(m): 8:25am On Jun 18, 2011
Toaskarity:

hey ghana boy.one guy here just tell me that they wan commot naija boys wey dey ghana angry. na true?

You will do well to ignore such rumours sir.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 18, 2011
emeka_gh:

You will do well to ignore such rumours sir.
nna mehn, na real insult! anyway thats for another day. i always do shaaa
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by ocelot2006(m): 9:18am On Jun 18, 2011
Building a power plant that utilizes a fuel that it found locally. It cuts down on cost (laying of a new gas pipeline for the plant) and restarts the coal mining industry. Excellent choice.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:31am On Jun 18, 2011
Nice one. My only reservation would be the involvement of Indians. I worked for an Indian company in Ogba-Ikeja in Lagos, and have first hand experience on how they regard and treat Nigerians (they can be worse than Lebanese by the way). Their sole aim is to maximise profit at all costs, and don't mind treating their workers disgracefully in the process. But it's our government that gives them the leeway? So i'd hope the Enugu State government would remind them of, and enforce strict labour laws if and when the project takes off.

Ebonyi and Abia states need to up their game man. Nothing seems to be happening in these states and it's so frustrating and annoying. angry

Toaskarity:

^^^ What has the above got to do with the topic, and is 'forced removal' even possible in this day and age of economic intergration and free movement?
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by Liger: 9:34am On Jun 18, 2011
@AloyEmeka, Green this, Green that, Green energy is the most expensive and unstable energy source at the moment. I often hear Nigerians talk about America's uninterrupted power supply, news flash, 40-60% of it is from coal energy.

I've always been of the view that Enugu State can supply the entire Old Eastern Nigeria with uninterrupted power supply, so abeg make we hear word with your inconvenient truth story.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by Imeobong(m): 10:03am On Jun 18, 2011
, a big hurray to gov chime, the guy is really doing wonders quietly here. why d nuskka people don't like him i don't know, anyway oga chime carry go,, after all they did not like Jesus and Nigerians dnt like good things.

u guys have to visit enugu state in the next three months and see the wonders this chime guy is putting up at the new polo park shopping mall.

well done gov chime
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by MMM2(m): 10:12am On Jun 18, 2011
yeah dats good
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by playmode(m): 10:17am On Jun 18, 2011
I am Yoruba and i am proud of Enugu State.This is a step in the right direction and i am in full support of it.Anyone who is talking about ozone pollution should jump in a icy cold lake.

Nigerians self  undecided We are too dumb for our own good.When they don't give you power you complain but when they give you a coal station you still complain.South Africa generates most of its 40 ,000 megawatts from coal stations and i don't see anyone complaining.Abeg you people should let Nigeria progress.All this global warming crap is some hogwash to keep 3rd world countries from developing.If Global warming is such a threat then the USA ,Europe and Australia should shut down their own coal power stations  angry

Once again KUDOS to Enugu State.

[size=30pt]GOD SPEED 2 U ![/size]
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by playmode(m): 10:24am On Jun 18, 2011
PROUD-IGBO:

Nice one. My only reservation would be the involvement of Indians. I worked for an Indian company in Ogba-Ikeja in Lagos, and have first hand experience on how they regard and treat Nigerians (they can be worse than Lebanese by the way). Their sole aim is to maximise profit at all costs, and don't mind treating their workers disgracefully in the process. But it's our government that gives them the leeway? So i'd hope the Enugu State government would remind them of, and enforce strict labour laws if and when the project takes off.

Ebonyi and Abia states need to up their game man. Nothing seems to be happening in these states and it's so frustrating and annoying. angry

^^^ What has the above got to do with the topic, and is 'forced removal' even possible in this day and age of economic intergration and free movement?

Well Nigerians gave them that chance,in SA ,indians are treated like dogs.They are not trusted and they are not revered like demi GODS.The problems with us Nigerian is that we see them as "Oyinbos" and bow to them that is why they treat us like dirt.Personally when next i visit Nigeria and i see an Indian or Lebanese (no matter how rich he is) treating my brothers like dirt be rest rest assured that i will give him a piece of my mind(that is if i don't slap his cheek of his face first).Indians/Lebanese are scums of the earth.Dirty scoundrels who sh1t everyway they go.Don't give them a chance to bully you in anyway.This is our country and we run the show.
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by rolchi(m): 10:31am On Jun 18, 2011
Very good move from Chime.

Please, Dear God, give this governor the grace/wisdom to actualise this. Let this project not die due to poilitical manipulations of budgeting and money stealing. Please, God, let Light arise and darkness disappear in Enugu State and let it flow to to other states like Anambra, Ebonyi, Imo, Abia and even Benue. Dear God, let the Holy Ghost fire consume any witch, devil, evil men, thieves (in the name of contractors). Let them fall and die by fire, in Jesus Name!

Father Lord, I bind any fake, wicked Indian man from coming to work in this project in Jesus Name. They cannot see Nigerian and the beautiful people of Nigeria. I blind their eyes by fire. Bad Indians cannot come to Nigeria. They will fall and die by fire even if they come by mago-mago way, In Jesus Name.

cry  cry  cryChime, I prophesy to you that you must start and finish this project oh! It will not be like Odili's in Rivers State.  sad  sad  sad Any thing that will make you not to complete this project for Enugu People, fall and die by fire, In Jesus Name. You must arise and shine and do this project oh. I cover you by the blood of Jesus. I cover the whole coal by the blood of Jesus. I cover the air, the road, the sand and even the project sites by the blood of Jesus. In Jesus Name, Amen!
Re: Enugu To Build Coal-based Power Plant by gidson12(m): 10:40am On Jun 18, 2011
Welcomed development, Nigeria will certainly get there, up Enugu

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nestle To Close Nairobi Office As It Restructures Business In Sub-saharan Africa / Assistance Wanted: Swift Code Of Oceanic Bank Nigeria / Where Can I Buy The Cheapest Liberty Reserve In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.